• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
jpdDFHH.gif

honest_ry

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Think I'm coming to the end.

Been an absolute blast to play through. I did all the side activities up to the end of act one but now I'm just ignoring them and progressing through the story.

Hopefully I can finish it and trade it in for GoW by the weekend.

Rocket Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well just finished...that ending, holy shit.

Loved the game overall, still lots of things to improve though. Swinging is honestly amazing, so is combat but more combos would've been good. The main villain was so good but I wish the boss fights were better. Side content on the whole needs a big improvement, the last few side missions were just dumb. Lot

Had a blast playing it, the sequel has the potential to be the GOAT super hero game if they can improve on a few things.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Got to the jefferson awards ceremony and...

I straight up didnt like it. Terrible Terrible writing all around.

First, Why would Pete show up to an award ceremony for a cop that help beat a dangerous gang in civvies? Did he really think they wouldnt strike back? It didn't help that on my way to the ceremony in the first place I got into THREE fights with them and he was like "These Demons are everywhere" So I'm like, "pete what if they're planning something at the ceremony?" He's like "I dunno lol"

Second, Rio's I'm going to find your father and Miles subsequent gotta find Dad was really really dumb, even if you rule in emotions over taking common sense. Its like Miles just watched his mom get seriously hurt by going on her own (which is a dumb thing to do during any sort of terrorist bombing, let alone one with laser bombs) but then He's like Oh I should do the same thing, Mom is a noob and nearly gets a little bit off the top just to discover his dad's carcass.

Thirdly, what was up with that Funeral Scene? Miles acting like "How could you possibly understand me"was normal, I get it. But its painfully clear Peter should know a fair bit about what he is going through right now and its dropped. Like I honestly thought He was going to share about his uncle ben or not even knowing his real parents and they could bond over their loss, but nothing actually happens.

Forthly and this is a personal thing I guess but it really feels like killing Miles's dad was an attempt on the writers to be clever and trick comic readers, but the problem here is that it wraps right back around to being generic again. Miles is yet another black boy missing his father now, and any nuance that Miles had with reconciling with his Mutant hating dad is now gone forever.

I was disapointed all around to tell you the honest truth. Does the story improve?

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
I cant syop myself from doing all the side content as aoon as it pops up. I binged the game saturday and sunday but jusg playing for an hour or so a night helps take the tedium of the side stuff away. I'm like 75% complete.

The story andmain missions are sublime to me. I adore being spidy in the game. I think I'm still in act two just helping doc with making the helmet. Brilliant game.
Do not spoil things.

Kuni

Oct 27, 2017
Been playing the game all week, taking my time, and I'm loving it. What a stellar game.

Even though there's a whole bunch of classic open world guff I'm enjoying all of it (well maybe not the research stations so much lol).

It all just feels right - the characters, story, gameplay, the swinging! Very well done Insomniac!

Rudiano

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
I really hope they add more to the combat system, its far too simple and should have more complex combos...maybe even more finishers rather then the same Triangle + Circle all the time

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i don't remember spidy knocking off so many bad guys off of tall building to their deaths on the tv shows or movies. anybody else been having the screen occasionally black out or having the sound dropping out?

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Man this is going to be one of my favorite platinums. Already pretty done with everything and the last 2 trophies are most likely story related. Love when I can just chill and play without having to even bother looking at the trophy list for missing trophies.

Skronk

Nov 22, 2017
Sorry if this has been covered already but what's the deal with the City That Never Sleeps DLC that's on the PSN store right now?

Is it the season pass? or just the first October DLC pack?

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I played this game for 30 minutes and it's alright so far. The pace is high so I'm not really sure where the story is going, but I like how the tutorial part gives you time to learn the mechanics. But right now I'm basically just throwing people in the air and doing the same air combo over and over again. Sometimes mixing it up with dodging, webbing, wall jumping and such.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Now that I've gotten my Plat I'm getting withdrawal lol. Want to jump back in for more content. Hopefully they release that NG+ soon!

Super Havoc

Banned
Aug 24, 2018
The Haven
I honestly do not understand all the complaining over the challenges. They are supposed to be a bit difficult, thus the name. I enjoy them.

And, being realistic, if the world wasn't littered with crimes to stop through combat and challenges, it would be dull as hell.

That's not to say that they can't improve and diversify them going forward but they aren't as bad as some of you are making them.

Deleted member 2321

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Keep having a terrible time with this game even though I really want to like it.

The combat just does not work for me.

My dodges keep getting interrupted by people shooting me from off screen.

I die, a lot. And I feel like most of the time it´s not fair.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Keep having a terrible time with this game even though I really want to like it.

The combat just does not work for me.

I die, a lot. And I feel like most of the time it´s not fair.

I play on the highest difficulty and I'm not bothered by this at all. Maybe you're spamming the dodge button? A single timed press is enough.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
How does the Iron Spider arms work? Do they come out every time you land, and during some combos?

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
They always show line of sight with guns, giving you info to dodge at the right time. If you're getting interrupted, you're most likely dodging earlier than you should.
How does the Iron Spider arms work? Do they come out every time you land, and during some combos?
I haven't used them much, but they come out when you activate the ability and stay out for a fixed amount of time, whatever it is your doing. You can look up some videos that show suits and related abilities to get a better idea though.

Deleted member 2321

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They always show line of sight with guns, giving you info to dodge at the right time. If you're getting interrupted, you're most likely dodging earlier than you should.

I feel like I´m often times dodging 3 things at once and one thing will end up getting me.

2 guys shooting at me (one with a rocket launcher with homing missiles and one with an AR) while I´m brawling with 2 brutes and also trying to manage grenades on the floor.

I probably just have to get better, but one more session like the last one I had and I´m dropping this game.

Oct 27, 2017
My Spidy killed someone. Webbed him to the side of a vehicle. There happened to be someone trapped under that vehicle though, so when he lifted the vehicle to help the trapped innocent, the webbed bad guy got crushed against the pavement.

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
I feel like I´m often times dodging 3 things at once and one thing will end up getting me.

2 guys shooting at me (one with a rocket launcher with homing missiles and one with an AR) while I´m brawling with 2 brutes and also trying to manage grenades on the floor.

I probably just have to get better, but one more session like the last one I had and I´m dropping this game.
You could try and position yourself better (for example by keeping the guy you're fighting in-between you and the shooters). If there are that many enemies around, you should try to web them up a bit, so that they'll be a bit slower to act. And don't forget to use (or spam really) your gadgets if you aren't, they're really good at keeping large groups of enemies at bay and letting you deal with the more threatening ones first.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Sometimes I feel the game needs the thing Bayo and DMC has where off-screen enemies are less aggressive.

Tracking fights isn't ideal in this game.

Lock-on has issues too. MIstargetting enemies and such

Super Havoc

Banned
Aug 24, 2018
The Haven

You have to get that Arkham style mentality out of your head here. It's only somewhat similar in style. Spidey is agile as hell, using his webbing in many ways and is constantly moving and dodging in the comics, and the same is true in this game.

If you're being hit often and dying it's likely because you haven't gotten accustomed to how quickly you should be moving around, dodging and tackling enemies. If the enemies with RPG's and guns bother you the most, swing up and tag them with the triangle button, and lay them out first then proceed to take on the other enemy types.

It becomes like second nature after you get used to it. I've pulled off some moves I wish I could showcase truth be told.

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's interesting that the 3rd rarest trophy is the "buy all suits" one at 4.8%, which I just got and it's not very difficult to get if you've been doing some side stuff along the way through the story. Now compare that to the 2nd rarest which requires you to 100% complete each freakin district. Not looking forward to that one. Plus I just took my first secret photo, and now I have 49 more of them to do because I'm sure there's a trophy for it. oy.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hmmm... I played for the first time last night and I'm not really feeling it. The combat isn't clicking for me and I die very quickly to the big thugs guys seemingly out of nowhere. The dodge doesn't feel responsive like Batman's counter button and I feel I have to do it far too often which interrupts the flow of combat.

Similarly the side quests are so incredibly repetitive and Ubisoft filler thus far with these robberies and collect backpack nonsense.

Does it get better? I only just got to Fisk's Estate sale but I'm feeling rather disappointed.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hmmm... I played for the first time last night and I'm not really feeling it. The combat isn't clicking for me and I die very quickly to the big thugs guys seemingly out of nowhere. The dodge doesn't feel responsive like Batman's counter button and I feel I have to do it far too often which interrupts the flow of combat.

Similarly the side quests are so incredibly repetitive and Ubisoft filler thus far with these robberies and collect backpack nonsense.

Does it get better? I only just got to Fisk's Estate sale but I'm feeling rather disappointed.

It gets much better the farther you get and the more you play and unlock. I was also somewhat disappointed and tepid with the game early on. I'm also not embarrassed to admit that I took a while to get to grips with the combat too. There's just so many options, controls etc, that at first it can be a bit overwhelming, and there is a fairly steep skill ceiling to it.

With the big brutes, rather than dodging them, I'd just web them up then beat the crap out of them after they're incapacitated. If you beat on them near a wall or car etc whilst they're webbed, they'll be more likely to instantly web to the wall or object so you don't even need to fully knock them out.

The main advice I can give is that you want to be dodging a hell of a lot, but you also want to be airborne as much as possible. Contrary to the comparisons, try not to approach the combat like Arkham, if you do you'll get your ass handed to you (in spectacular). Instead approach it a bit like DMC. Soften enemies up with gadgets, webbing etc, then uppercut them in to the air for easy juggles, and whilst in the air you can also hold triangle to launch people up in the air (you'll need to unlock this). Also rather than walking or running towards enemies, always triangle zip to them instead. This is far quicker and safer. For the most precise zipping towards enemies, you'll have to aim in the direction of the enemy you want to zip to, otherwise it'll just pick the closest enemy. Also, use environmental objects to your advantage, especially electrical cabinets, scaffolding etc. These make for easy early game knock outs.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Can I do other forms of aerial combos? Because right now I'm just knocking people up into the air, and then repeatedly mashing square as the tutorial told me.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
It's interesting that the 3rd rarest trophy is the "buy all suits" one at 4.8%, which I just got and it's not very difficult to get if you've been doing some side stuff along the way through the story. Now compare that to the 2nd rarest which requires you to 100% complete each freakin district. Not looking forward to that one. Plus I just took my first secret photo, and now I have 49 more of them to do because I'm sure there's a trophy for it. oy.

It gets a bit more time-consuming if you didn't have any pre-order suits and spent challenge tokens on gadget upgrades first (which I did too). I was also the last one I get before clearing all the districts.

Can I do other forms of aerial combos? Because right now I'm just knocking people up into the air, and then repeatedly mashing square as the tutorial told me.

You can also shoot web and press triangle. Later more moves get added as you move along in the skill tree.

Oct 25, 2017

Nope. I quit the game after 50-50% story progression and sold it. I don't have time for this boring copy paste world building (hello Ubisoft!) anymore.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It gets much better the farther you get and the more you play and unlock. I was also somewhat disappointed and tepid with the game early on. I'm also not embarrassed to admit that I took a while to get to grips with the combat too. There's just so many options, controls etc, that at first it can be a bit overwhelming, and there is a fairly steep skill ceiling to it.

With the big brutes, rather than dodging them, I'd just web them up then beat the crap out of them after they're incapacitated. If you beat on them near a wall or car etc whilst they're webbed, they'll be more likely to instantly web to the wall or object so you don't even need to fully knock them out.

The main advice I can give is that you want to be dodging a hell of a lot, but you also want to be airborne as much as possible. Contrary to the comparisons, try not to approach the combat like Arkham, if you do you'll get your ass handed to you (in spectacular). Instead approach it a bit like DMC. Soften enemies up with gadgets, webbing etc, then uppercut them in to the air for easy juggles, and whilst in the air you can also hold triangle to launch people up in the air (you'll need to unlock this). Also rather than walking or running towards enemies, always triangle zip to them instead. This is far quicker and safer. For the most precise zipping towards enemies, you'll have to aim in the direction of the enemy you want to zip to, otherwise it'll just pick the closest enemy. Also, use environmental objects to your advantage, especially electrical cabinets, scaffolding etc. These make for easy early game knock outs.
Thanks, I will definitely press on as I'm still enjoying what I've seen of the story but I really hope the rest eventually clicks for me. I'll keep your tips in mind.

Nope. I quit the game after 50-50% story progression and sold it. I don't have time for this boring copy paste world building (hello Ubisoft!) anymore.
For as much shit people give Arkham Knight, at least the side objectives had you hunting down ancelary villain characters with side quests that had arcs and their own stories to them.

This shit just feels copy pasted.

Deleted member 22585

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU

I felt the same way in the beginning. But as I unlocked more abilities and got better at the combat (movement and positioning), it got better and is really fun. Now I'm zipping all over the place during combat and behave pretty differently than before. I have more and more control over the combat after unlocking gadgets, suits and abilities. But that's just my personal experience, maybe the combat just isn't for you.

Regarding the side stuff, it's the same like in most open world games. The tasks itself are rather boring and you only have fun if you enjoy the game mechanics enough. For me, even collecting the stupid backpacks is kinda fun, because I just like the overall movement.
The research facilities are better and more variet, but most of the stuff isn't that interesting and won't get better.