• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I cannot imagine playing on lower than Spectacular, it threw some challenges at first (since the game just says GO) but it is really well balanced and just feels so good when you when fights.

Loanshark

Nov 8, 2017
Just finished the game, enjoyed it a lot. The best part was without doubt the critical path. Characters and story were very strong. Web-swinging is definately improved over previous Spider-Man games, especially in terms of polish, but i still feel that they didnt really push it forward that much. The biggest new thing that they added was the parkour, which was very welcome. There were some other neat touches here and there, like the L3 dive, but overall, Insomniacs take on swinging is basically the same as the previous games, only with triple-A polish. There wasnt much there in terms of depth or additional layers of complexity to master once you got the basics down unfortunately, and R2 being the auto-traversal button illustrates that pretty well; you just have to hold and go.

The progression trees added very few meaningful abilities, both when it came to traversal and combat, which is a bit of a missed opportunity in my opinion. Maybe it could have been used to expand on Spideys web swining repetoire and through that keep traversal interesting in the late game. Something that really frustrated me was how limited the options were while wall running, especially on the horizontal axis. You couldnt control distance or angle when performing a jump after wall running, nor could you use the charged jump ability. All spiderman ever did was the same little pirouette jump at a 45 degree angle that only gimped your mobility. Would have been cool to be able to wall jump/bounce between parallel buildings on narrow streets and interact with the geometry more in that way.

Combat was a pleasant suprise, reminded me more of Shadow of Mordor than the Arkham games, only with more tools at your disposal. Maybe a few repetative animations, but thats a fairly superficial complaint. Would have liked a block/counter option also instead of just dodging, but thats just personal preference.

Very pleased with the game overall, and really excited to see how Insomniac can expand on it in the sequel, with the fundamentals in place. I think they are right on track with the narrative and the characters, its the gameplay that they need to improve in my opinion.

Demacabre

Nov 20, 2017
Just discovered secret photo ops yesterday. Okay... this is going to take some time before I hit the ending.

rhydon321

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
What's everyone's favorite suit? Been switching back and forth between Scarlet Spider and Stark Suit myself.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
I was fine with all the side quests until I got to Act 3:

(late game spoilers for the beginning of Act 3)
Adding both prisoner and Sable crimes to every district on top of Thug and Demon Crimes is just ridiculous. I thought I was pacing myself pretty well with doing all the optional crimes but getting all that dumped on me was a fun killer. Thankfully I've already cleared out backpacks, landmarks, and the Fisk and Demon bases so I've only got a few odds and ends left that aren't crimes, but wow that's a poor late game decision. Especially since on top of that I now am being shot at all the time while swinging around the city. I get they were going for an Arkham-like climax but it was honestly more fun just swinging around the city and occasionally stopping a crime or two over having Manhattan go full No Man's Land.

While I too hate what you say about traversing in the third act, I think it got obvious to finish the story because it becomes urgent so, it didn't bothered me much.

The bases are a lot if you put them all together but it's still side content, you don't have to do them all at once, take your time.

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow
DONE!

What's fun is that I also completed all secret photo ops and it turned into a sort of victory lap through the city, as I got my platinum in harlem and my last photo op was Statue of Libety (I knewit was cuz somebody mentioned that's how they discovered secret photo opsin tje first place and I knew I didn't take a photo of it yet) so, I had to swing all the way down (wasn't going to fast travel)

Of course, also did the obligatory:

41665366_2372978412929547_2696119574935371776_n.jpg

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
I cannot imagine playing on lower than Spectacular, it threw some challenges at first (since the game just says GO) but it is really well balanced and just feels so good when you when fights.

It's really not that hard too. I think I'm near the end of the game and I've been playing on Spetacular the whole time. Like you said the beginning was a little rough but I probably the same number of times in the first hour that I have through the entire rest of the game. You get focus so fast that you can always heal if you need to, and once you have all the gadgets the combat is a cakewalk.

SxP

Oct 27, 2017
The call out to GTAIV in one of the side missions was pretty neat. With cousins in crime Niko and Roman.

SomaXD

Oct 27, 2017
What's everyone's favorite suit? Been switching back and forth between Scarlet Spider and Stark Suit myself.

Scarlet Spider is my main main (but havent unlocked all of them yet, i already know what my favorite will be though
Original 2099 suit... NOT that shitty new white 2099 abomination lol
with Noir for stealth missions.

And Iron Spider. Wish it was Original Iron Spider though.
And to a lesser degree: Spider-punk because... punk is my thing.

But so far... Scarlet Spider wins... i love it so much!

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
I'm right at the beginning of the second act and i begin to question the enemy variety. The only scary foe is the brute. Are there other types coming or is the brute the hardest regular enemy in the game?
Outside of that i'm still enjoying the game, especially the critical path, really really great stuff in here.

Deleted member 2595

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Funny enough in the end I had almost forgot about the suit's special effects. I feel they are much more important in the early stages when you don't have the skills and gadgets. And even then I tend to use the special attacks only as last option.
Others have said the suit abilities are crucial in 3-starring the combat Challenges

I've not needed them yet, personally

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
I'm right at the beginning of the second act and i begin to question the enemy variety. The only scary foe is the brute. Are there other types coming or is the brute the hardest regular enemy in the game?
Outside of that i'm still enjoying the game, especially the critical path, really really great stuff in here.

pfft, Brute is the least of your worries later.

Nov 1, 2017
Silver Sable soldiers are the final tier of regular enemies.

benzy

Oct 25, 2017
The time of day variation options you get to choose once you complete the game are disappointing. What happened to the rainy overcast and night rain settings that we got to play in throughout the story? :( For some reason it's only day/sunset/night.

Unless there's a weather option somewhere in the research stations..

s y

Nov 8, 2017
The time of day variation options you get to choose once you complete the game are disappointing. What happened to the rainy overcast and night rain settings that we got to play in throughout the story? :( For some reason it's only day/sunset/night.

Unless there's a weather option somewhere in the research stations..
Yeah I was hoping for weather options. Hopefully it gets patched it .

The lightning storm in one of the research missions was cool even though the non harmful lightning was predictable.

Oct 25, 2017
Hope the sequels or even the dlc add some more enemy variety.

Pretty disappointing that the combat system basically reach its peak only a few hrs in. Sure they add some new enemies but the combat approach doesn't really change, especially after you unlock some key abilities that trivialize many enemy types.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
If you want to make a thread, do it
I just post here

Awesome marketing for #SpiderManPS4 in Milan, Italy

DmouK5EW4AETuWy.jpg

DmpVeSNX4AAidJ1.jpg

LifeLine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Waiting for crimes to pop up after completing the game is such a waste of time. Everything done, just need to get all the crimes done and it takes so long for one to pop up. I remember it being much faster before beating the game.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Waiting for crimes to pop up after completing the game is such a waste of time. Everything done, just need to get all the crimes done and it takes so long for one to pop up. I remember it being much faster before beating the game.
Really? I dont think it changes much.

Anyways, its the best time to get the secret photos

MechaMarmaset

Nov 20, 2017
The bosses in this game felt pretty generic. I felt more challenge from the Sable outposts than any of the bosses. There wasn't anything noteworthy about any of them. Every one of them just felt like dodge for a while, web him up, hit triangle, hit square a few times, repeat.

Actually I think one of the best parts of the game that really felt like a boss was when
you're playing as miles and have to sneak past the Rhino.
That was way more fun and intense than the actual fight.

It's a shame because they did so many other things in this game right, but really phoned in the fun on the bosses.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

I went back to the manual save I made just before the ending and yeah, crimes popped up much faster. I mopped up then beat the game again.

Deleted member 6949

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I was at 85% when I took it back to redbox and I still feel like I wasted too much time on obnoxious busy work. I don't know how people have the patience to 100% this one.