• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed my time much more when I just critical pathed the main story. I loved the first few hours, but then got worn down doing side quests, and put it down for a week. When I came back I just focused on the story and couldn't put it down. Something just clicked.

JJShadow

Oct 25, 2017
UK/Spain
Could anyone tell me how far through the main story I am at the moment?

Peter has just been evicted from his flat and had to spend the night at May's office

Thanks!

dimasok

Banned
Sep 9, 2018
uh, i am pretty sure none of that is in the game

I have no idea why people praise this game so much.. the first few hours was quite enjoyable.
But now, holy spider is the game repetitive. You do the same thing over and over, fighting is so boring and easy, swinging was also only fun for an hour or two. Boss fights are extremely boring as well. Playing as MJ?... who thought that was a good idea at Insomniac, few times have I been so bored in a video game.. I usually wouldnt make a negative post like this but I feel like I need to since I hope there are more people who don't get why this game is so loved. My brother felt exactly the same as me I just found out, he didn't wanna say anything because he thought that would ruin my hype/experience and then I told him yesterday how much I disliked the game. Heh. Oh well, if you love the game that's completely fine, but seeing as this seem to get as much praise as GoW I guess I expected more than what I got.

Agreed. Still platinumed though and its the best Spidey game I played.

dimasok

Banned
Sep 9, 2018
wait,what happened here lol

Loved the game but agree with all of the criticisms Same goes for so many other games. I agreee with the criticism of BOTW yet put 100 hours into it. Same goes with XB2 that I put 350 hours into.

You can agree with all of criticisms and still play and enjoy the game.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Loved the game but agree with all of the criticisms Same goes for so many other games. I agreee with the criticism of BOTW yet put 100 hours into it. Same goes with XB2 that I put 350 hours into.

You can agree with all of criticisms and still play and enjoy the game.
No I mean, you quoted my post but from an entirely different thread lol

Oct 25, 2017
I have no idea why people praise this game so much.. the first few hours was quite enjoyable.
But now, holy spider is the game repetitive. You do the same thing over and over, fighting is so boring and easy, swinging was also only fun for an hour or two. Boss fights are extremely boring as well. Playing as MJ?... who thought that was a good idea at Insomniac, few times have I been so bored in a video game.. I usually wouldnt make a negative post like this but I feel like I need to since I hope there are more people who don't get why this game is so loved. My brother felt exactly the same as me I just found out, he didn't wanna say anything because he thought that would ruin my hype/experience and then I told him yesterday how much I disliked the game. Heh. Oh well, if you love the game that's completely fine, but seeing as this seem to get as much praise as GoW I guess I expected more than what I got.

I never understand why people are shocked others like something they don't or vice versa. I mean those things that bothered you may not bother others or maybe bothered them less or they simply felt different about it.

I haven't had this much fun playing a game this generation, I know it has flaws and it could have been better at parts, but the overall experience to me was great. It sucks you didn't feel the same, but there's nothing weird about that.

Last edited:

Elysiums

Banned
Dec 19, 2017
Every open world game it's repetitive at some point.. the thing is that Spiderman is so much fun that you just don't care.

It was so hard for me to do extra content on other games.. with Spiderman I just swing all the way and I'm close to my first plat ever.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Only trophy I have left is the one for buying all the costumes and I am having to grind out challenges to try and get all Golds. Fuck this. I wish I wouldn't have spent so many tokens on gadget unlocks I never used.

Oct 25, 2017
Only trophy I have left is the one for buying all the costumes and I am having to grind out challenges to try and get all Golds. Fuck this. I wish I wouldn't have spent so many tokens on gadget unlocks I never used.

Which challenges? The fighting ones? Drone? Bomb?

The fighting ones, your speed matters the most as far as your score. Drone, point launch helps the most. Bomb, make sure to point launch to the bomb and as your hitting the ground, hold L1 and R1 to toss, it helps time wise big time.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Which challenges? The fighting ones? Drone? Bomb?

The fighting ones, your speed matters the most as far as your score. Drone, point launch helps the most. Bomb, make sure to point launch to the bomb and as your hitting the ground, hold L1 and R1 to toss, it helps time wise big time.

I have at least silver in pretty much everything. Golds in all the stealth challenges and a couple bomb ones. Having a lot of trouble with the combat challenges but that's probably my best shot at golds. Feels like a lot of luck. You have to keep your chain/combo going.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm having a really hard time air dodging during the chase sequences. I feel like I hit the button well in advance, but I get shot anyway. Any advice?

Yaqza

Oct 27, 2017
I have at least silver in pretty much everything. Golds in all the stealth challenges and a couple bomb ones. Having a lot of trouble with the combat challenges but that's probably my best shot at golds. Feels like a lot of luck. You have to keep your chain/combo going.
Time is everything. Don't play with long combos - web everybody as soon as possible. It may not look classy, but will grant you gold.

Oct 25, 2017

Don't even worry about combo, time is the most important factor. Web people up when they hit the ground, use the gravity gadget to raise a big group and once they fall web bomb so they all get stuck.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Still early on but few hours in so far:

- Story seems very solid. They nailed Peter and the cast.

- Not sure how I feel about playing as human/"regular" characters. if its a 5 minute thing and very rare fine, but tbh I'd rather just see a longer cutscene. Idk, maybe that's me. Maybe I'll enjoy these gameplay segments further in the game?

- Webswinging is a blast. As you upgrade your skills... wooo, that speed! :)

- The game is good, but it's not great. Obviously I haven't finished but from the hype I was expecting more.

- Minor camera annoyances, honestly every SM game has had them, not a big deal. Hopefully they can iron these out even further in SM2.

- Daytime is GORGEOUS, but Nightime gives me a comic book vibe and I love it :). Shame there's no day/night cycle, but hopefully in SM2. (can we choose what time of day we want?)

Overall its a really well made and I'm glad its selling like crazy. I'm happy for Insomniac. I've been a huge fan of there's since Spyro, and towards the end of last gen with Fuse selling and reviewing poorly I was worried for them.

Elysiums

Banned
Dec 19, 2017
Still early on but few hours in so far:

- Story seems very solid. They nailed Peter and the cast.

- Not sure how I feel about playing as human/"regular" characters. if its a 5 minute thing and very rare fine, but tbh I'd rather just see a longer cutscene. Idk, maybe that's me. Maybe I'll enjoy these gameplay segments further in the game?

- Webswinging is a blast. As you upgrade your skills... wooo, that speed! :)

- The game is good, but it's not great. Obviously I haven't finished but from the hype I was expecting more.

- Minor camera annoyances, honestly every SM game has had them, not a big deal. Hopefully they can iron these out even further in SM2.

- Daytime is GORGEOUS, but Nightime gives me a comic book vibe and I love it :). Shame there's no day/night cycle, but hopefully in SM2. (can we choose what time of day we want?)

Overall its a really well made and I'm glad its selling like crazy. I'm happy for Insomniac. I've been a huge fan of there's since Spyro, and towards the end of last gen with Fuse selling and reviewing poorly I was worried for them.

After you finish the main story you can pick the time of the day.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
tI0CSRC.gif

Well, you can tell by the way I use my walk I'm a woman's man, no time to talk
I'm a woman's man, no time to talk
Music loud and women warm
I've been kicked around since I was born

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Man, Spider-Man walks so weird sometimes lmao. Also the music is fantastic.

Nov 13, 2017
Just beat it. Finally boss was incredibly underwhelming. The story was good though.

EXTREMELY disappointed that they teased
Green Goblin the entire fucking game and didn't have him as the surprise final boss after Doc Ock. So frustrating!

Liferebooted

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 13, 2017
LOVED the main story and side quests but haven't touched the story in weeks. All I need for my platinum is to finish 100% all the districts of crime but its gotten SO boring swinging around towns waiting for them to finally show up =\

Elysiums

Banned
Dec 19, 2017
LOVED the main story and side quests but haven't touched the story in weeks. All I need for my platinum is to finish 100% all the districts of crime but its gotten SO boring swinging around towns waiting for them to finally show up =\

No need to swing all the time.. just stay in a spot away from your last crime and use R3 until a crime pops.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
I really want a button to reset the camera, during combats having to turn all the way to the enemies can be bad.

I'm at 70% or so at the story, and I'm enjoying the game a lot. I agree that the stealth sections are not great, not even close to Arkham games, and that the side content feels really repetitive, especially the car chases and the random enemy encounters.

AcidCat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bellingham WA
I know this game was made by a lot of smart, talented people, and that's why the MJ stealth sequences legit baffle me. What did they think this added to the experience? My best guess is to make the player feel powerless for a bit, to better appreciate it when they're back in Spidey's shoes? But in reality it just adds tedium and frustration. Every time one of these starts I just groan and want to turn off the game, the only reason I don't is if I know I have to come back to this, I might not start it again. So I hunker down and power through this crap.

I like this game but man, I am at the point where any game with insta-fail stealth sequences is an automatic pass.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I am not crying at the ending of the game, there is dust in my eye

#thugtears

Branson

Oct 27, 2017
I know this game was made by a lot of smart, talented people, and that's why the MJ stealth sequences legit baffle me. What did they think this added to the experience? My best guess is to make the player feel powerless for a bit, to better appreciate it when they're back in Spidey's shoes? But in reality it just adds tedium and frustration. Every time one of these starts I just groan and want to turn off the game, the only reason I don't is if I know I have to come back to this, I might not start it again. So I hunker down and power through this crap.

I like this game but man, I am at the point where any game with insta-fail stealth sequences is an automatic pass.
They are pretty short and easy though.

Spider-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I am on my second playthrough of the game on the hardest difficulty after getting the Platinum on my first run which was a medium difficulty playthrough.

I finished all the Research Stations and the last one popped up, which is that cool one in the lighting storm. So I thought I would wait to do it until I'm ready and want to go all out with photo mode.

After doing some missions it has now completely disappeared from the map.

Will it come back? Is this a known bug? Very lame if it got bugged.

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I just finished the game and wow what a ride. Now here I sit feeling down since I want more story for this game and there is none, haven't felt this way about a game in a long time. Insomniac did a fantastic job with the story which I honestly consider the best out of every Spider-Man related content I've ever seen.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
So I am on my second playthrough of the game on the hardest difficulty after getting the Platinum on my first run which was a medium difficulty playthrough.

I finished all the Research Stations and the last one popped up, which is that cool one in the lighting storm. So I thought I would wait to do it until I'm ready and want to go all out with photo mode.

After doing some missions it has now completely disappeared from the map.

Will it come back? Is this a known bug? Very lame if it got bugged.
Are you sure it's gone? Might just be that you already opened the station so its icon changed a bit.

JDHarbs

Oct 28, 2017
For the longest time I thought the last Research Station was bugged for me because it never showed up on the map despite the district completion table showing there was supposed to be another one there.

Then I completed all of the others like I was supposed to in order to trigger it, and I was like

tenor.gif

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
Just bought this last week and I'm like 30% through, my 12 year old is 70%.

So far this isn't clicking with me. I love the Batman games, like all of them. The story is very slow so far and kind of disjointed in a way, that I can't put my finger on, like the cutcenes don't match up with the open world gameplay in some strange way. I have done two MJ missions and they could be left out, same with the Miles mission. They don't really fit with the game, slow stealth missions suck, no matter how much you dress them up. The combat seems more complex than Batman in some ways, but I will never get over the fact that Spiderman squats a ton of concrete, but takes an 8th of a life bar worth of damage getting hit by a grunt. When you get in the grove though /kiss. The swinging is great until you do your 5th or 6th chase, at that point I'm over it. I'm going to mainline the story now in hopes of getting to the good part.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The only bit of the game I saw was the big
breakout sequence at the raft. I've just locked up Mr. Negative and honestly I expected to lock him up after everyone got freed
. I'm really surprised I've played so long before seeing any of preview section.

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
Finally finish it and what a great ending it was. Platinum is done too, had a lot of fun.

So are the dlc story focus? And are they after or before the main game?

Raiden

Nov 6, 2017
I'm about 2 hours in, and I'm really struggling with the combat. Everything feels so...overdone, maybe? I kind of feel like I did when sports games went from being pick up and play to having 15 different buttons performing a function.

Coming from the Arkham series (where I felt the combat was perfect--simplistic enough to be competent but expansive enough to feel deep), it seems like a misstep. Anyone have any tips for me?
It took me a while but i enjoy it more and more. You get the hang of it as you play and unlock stuff.

Yog-Sothoth

Oct 1, 2018

The game prioritizes speed over all else. If you wanna break the challenges just use the Spider Bro suit ability and spam spider drones (fully upgraded, preferably) so they do all the work for you.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
The game prioritizes speed over all else. If you wanna break the challenges just use the Spider Bro suit ability and spam spider drones (fully upgraded, preferably) so they do all the work for you.

I managed to finally get the plat. I ended up having a couple of Bomb missions that I had only ever gotten bronze on, so I was able to spam those for easy Golds and tokens.

Oct 31, 2017
I have three more sable crimes in one district to get rid of all crimes, and that's the last of the side missions. However, there are two more secret photos, and I'm not seeing them as I travel around this last district, so I may need to swing around randomly to get those last two and unlock the last suit lol

EDIT: Or not! Still have some crimes left in the top district.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2017
Okay, all crimes and missions are finished. All secret photos finished. Just a hidden trophy and buying all the suits.

Which requires me to do more challenges from Taskmaster. >_<

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
I'm at the part with the
prison break
and I'm legit shocked the game world changed like this (which is a good thing!). How far am I into the game? It feels like it's nearing endgame.

Oct 31, 2017
I'm at the part with the
prison break
and I'm legit shocked the game world changed like this (which is a good thing!). How far am I into the game? It feels like it's nearing endgame.

You are
in Act 3, so you're a few hours away from the ending. And yes, I liked how the world changed as well. It's almost like Arkham Knight, only here there was a change from being able to traverse a normal city to what the city becomes. To be fair to AK, though, I think it's way harder to have that happen with Batman as he doesn't roam through the streets saying hi to pedestrians.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure I really understand the stealth section complaints. So far there's only been one section that gave me any trouble, and that only took three or four attempts.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Not sure I really understand the stealth section complaints. So far there's only been one section that gave me any trouble, and that only took three or four attempts.
Across all of them I failed maybe 6 times and 2 of those were running across a part that made noise instead of around it because I didn't notice.