• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rndom Grenadez

Prophet of Truth
Dec 7, 2017
So I just picked up Spiderman during the Black Friday sale. I had to pull the trigger at $40. I have to say, I was so incredibly surprised by how much I'm enjoying this game.

I loved Sunset Overdrive, but the traversal in this game surpasses it easily. The combat is kind of shit and the Miles and MJ missions are a drag, but man I didnt expect to get hooked on this game like I have.

I dropped RDR2 after 5 hours. I just knew I couldnt do it, it wasnt for me. And I havent played any of the eshop games I got on sale (Hyper Light Drifter, Undertale, The Messenger, Into the Breach and Lego City Undercover). I doubt I'll touch another game (Other than Smash, because...you know...it's Smash) until I platinum Spiderman. Kudos to Insomniac.

Andrew Lucas

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Friends, if I do a NG+ on Ultimate difficulty, will I get the throphy that says I beat it on hard too? Cause that's the only trophy left for me in the vanilla section. Don't wanna go through the disappointment of finishing the game in the new mode but still miss the original throphy.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Finished the main game last night. May take a break before tackling the DLC and other modes.

Pros
  • Spectacular narrative. While many, if not all the beats, were predictable, the way everything was executed was satisfying.
  • Combat controls felt great with tons of options that even after finishing the game there's some still unexplored. I really like how some enemies, particularly the Sable troop varients, needed alternative strategies to effectively bring down
  • All the boss fights were enjoyable, which is rare for a game.
  • I haven't played Sunset Overdrive, but this was the best traversal I've experienced in this type of game
Cons
  • Those Taskmaster Challenges. The drone and bomb ones were a bit too precise in their requirements and a bit too steep without alternatives for challenge tokens
  • Sometimes zip points would fail to appear. Ususally not an isssue until the above.
  • Mid-air dodges, when they work, are clunky and stop all momentum. Would have been nice if they were contextual movements like they are in ground combat
  • Interactivity with New York was lacking. Could have used more civilian interactions or more activities.
Can't wait to see the follow-up, especially with everything that was set up at the end of the game.

JaseMath

Oct 27, 2017
Denver, CO
As a rule, I DO NOT allow myself to die/fail in the opening levels of a game. Ever.

Thus far, I've restarted (i.e. deleted my save file) in Spider-Man three times—I keep losing on the second round of Kingpin. Is the combat as hard throughout as it is up front, or do I just suck?

Last edited:

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hartford, CT
I would imagine we hear the final piece of DLC news soon with the release prior to Christmas, yes? Still waiting for a season pass sale on US PSN.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
As a rule, I DO NOT allow myself to die/fail in the opening levels of a game. Ever.

Thus far, I've restarted (i.e. deleted my save file) in Spider-Man three times—I keep losing on the second round of Kingpin. Is the combat as hard throughout as it is up front, or do I just suck?
You're just not good yet.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR

It's a combination of being difficult up front because you have a lack of moves, gadgets and health, but it's also a matter of needing to learn the controls and figure out the most efficient way to engage in combat. I got my ass handed to me a couple times in that fight as well. Things get remarkably easier as the game progresses (and then hard again when the enemies get harder to kill).

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
I'm on the last act, just a few missions left. I am not sure if I will go back for the Platinum because I don't care for the Taskmasker challenges. I assume I either need to do them all or get gold in all of them.

I can go back and progress towards 100% after I beat the story, right?

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
I'm on the last act, just a few missions left. I am not sure if I will go back for the Platinum because I don't care for the Taskmasker challenges. I assume I either need to do them all or get gold in all of them.

I can go back and progress towards 100% after I beat the story, right?
You only need silver for the Taskmaster challenges, and yes, you can do everything after beating the story.

Fuzzy

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
You only need silver for the Taskmaster challenges
Only if you don't waste them on upgrades that aren't needed for the Platinum otherwise you'll need some/all golds in the challenges. Also, DLC provides more challenges so that means if you do waste coins on some upgrades you can still get the Platinum without needing higher than silver.

Oct 27, 2017
Is there any kind of free play in this? Where you can just swing about the city and not really be at risk of dying etc?

My wife's brother loves the whole MCU but has pretty bad learning difficulties, to the point he can't read too well and his motor skills would be pretty poor. Just trying to figure out if there's a way he could play this. Thanks.

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
Is there any kind of free play in this? Where you can just swing about the city and not really be at risk of dying etc?

My wife's brother loves the whole MCU but has pretty bad learning difficulties, to the point he can't read too well and his motor skills would be pretty poor. Just trying to figure out if there's a way he could play this. Thanks.
If you just go around the city, you should be in much trouble, if any. You'll find random crimes, but you can avoid them; it gets harder to avoid this in the last act of the game.

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
Finished the story today at 90% completion. I will probably go back (eventually) and Platinum the game.

Overall, I really enjoyed it. The Miles and MJ missions were pretty boring and the game's final act wasn't great - aside from the fun boss battles and the ending.

The combat and traversal were amazing. They really nailed being Spider-Man.

This feels right in-like with the Arkham games.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I finally finished this yesterday. Whoever had the balls to let Insomniac make a mass market Spider-Man game an actual tragedy needs to be applauded. This is the best Spider-Man story ever told and its genuinely sad.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Platinumed the other day after a bit of a break and went through the first DLC. Mostly enjoyable, though the Screwball Challenges are quite a pain to earn Ultimate despite not having the in your face difficulty of Taskmaster's. I was surprised at how strong the performances held up to the main game, so hoping Ep. 2 delivers. Thus far, that one has a strong start.

Oct 26, 2017
Platinumed the other day after a bit of a break and went through the first DLC. Mostly enjoyable, though the Screwball Challenges are quite a pain to earn Ultimate despite not having the in your face difficulty of Taskmaster's. I was surprised at how strong the performances held up to the main game, so hoping Ep. 2 delivers. Thus far, that one has a strong start.

This is where I'm at and agree with your sentiment. Just closed the game for the night after 2's opening. Hope it keeps the momentum going.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
do you get the symbiote suit in the game?

Also, I don't think I'll ever get the trophy for getting Spectacular on a Taskmaster bomb challenge :(

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Also, I don't think I'll ever get the trophy for getting Spectacular on a Taskmaster bomb challenge :(

No. As for those challenges, point launch as much as possible. Web swings slow you down.

Which DLC should I get? Haven't touched the game since platinum.

The first is the meatier of the two and feels more complete story-wise. The second felt more of a set-up for tomorrow's Silver Lining rather than a stand alone entry.

May just want to go all-in if Silver Lining is good, but at least start with the first.

spidye

Oct 28, 2017
Holy shit the dlc just fucking sucks (especially turf wars) and feels like a cash grab.
I am starting to hate it. How can the base game be so good and the dlc just so bad.

JaseMath

Oct 27, 2017
Denver, CO
Holy shit the dlc just fucking sucks (especially turf wars) and feels like a cash grab.
I am starting to hate it. How can the base game be so good and the dlc just so bad.
What's so bad about it? I was actually thinking of buying it... ☹️

Also, has there been any word of a New Game+ or Mission Select? I would LOVE the option to replay some parts.

Oct 29, 2017

Also, has there been any word of a New Game+ or Mission Select? I would LOVE the option to replay some parts.

It just doesnt do anything much different. Most of the missions arent that interesting and the new enemies are annoying more than anything else. It is still more of Spiderman, which barely justifies its price tag to me personally but I can see where people would be annoyed by them. Also each DLC can be totally completed in a pretty short amount of time (3 hours maybe?)

Oct 29, 2017

Also when you are within about 100m of the bomb, you can webzip directly to the bomb. Hold down L2 to slow things down and there should be a zip point that shows up. As soon as you land from the webzip you can hit L1 and R1 to start tossing the bomb.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

There's a New Game+ that carries over all your suits, skills, upgrades, mods, and earned tokens, as well as allows you to increase the difficulty. The only things that don't carry over are collectibles and bonus tasks for token based content.

Personally I thought the DLC ok. Maybe a bit pricey for what's there in Turf Wars, but hard to go after it for being more of the game when it's just DLC.

Chainshada

Oct 25, 2017
Finally starting on the DLC as I was waiting for all 3, is every base in the 2nd DLC indoors? Got my NG+ Ultimate Difficulty main game + DLC1 complete..had to turn it down in the 1st base as it was just too much to deal with, so many enemies that can drop you 30-50% health in a single hit in a small enclosed area is just fucking stupid. I enjoyed the 1st DLC except for Screwball, ended up muting the TV every time I did one of her challenges..just shouted the entire time.

Fuzzy

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I've been playing a bit of the 3rd DLC today and I'm liking it the best so far. I'll probably finish it later today.

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Just fully completed Silver Lining.

Credit where it's due, that was pretty darn good and I absolutely hated Turf Wars.

I think certain aspects of The Heist were better (eg. Screwball challenges) but overall Silver Lining is the strongest of all three episodes, the meat of the episode is great. Silver Lining is also by far the longest, took me over four hours.

Insomniac did good with the DLC. Just I still can't believe how bad Turf Wars was, especially compared to The Heist and Silver Lining.

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
Just finished the third DLC. It was great. I didn't feel like the sidequests were tedious this time, as they were very meaty and interesting.

I finally got to take Screwball down. She deserved it.

I also feel like this DLC is a must play before going into the inevitable sequel. Some characters were further developed in this DLC and they will most likely play a big role in the sequel.

BuBu Jenkins

Oct 27, 2017
So is there no way to replay the story missions from the dlc once beaten? i wanna replay through the heist before going through the other 2 dlc but it just plops me to the post completion open world where i can only do the side stuff.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Haven't finished it yet, but so far... not enjoying Silver Lining so much. I don't know why but I think I just wasn't in the right mood when I played it. It didn't help that I experienced the worst bugs in my entire time playing the game. There were some graphical glitches in the opening cutscenes, and music completely disappeared for me and I had to restart the entire game, unlike in the past where all I needed to do was load a save.

Loving the phone calls as usual though.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
The main mission content for Silver Lining seemed far shorter and more streamlined than Heist and Turf Wars but there were actual collectibles and side mission content so that made up for it.

The biggest problem with the DLCs are shared between all three of them - Screwball challenges are bad, the district clearing random crimes are tedious and the new enemy types introduced are totally ridiculous and have no discernible weaknesses other than performing a finishing move on them (looking at you, turret thugs.) Insomniac definitely needs to work on diversifying the side/extra content for the second game and just drop Screwball type missions altogether.

Overall, the DLC delivers in the most basic sense possible - it was more Spider-Man. Had I not loved the base game so intensely and desperately craved more, I wouldn't really be a fan of the mostly mediocre to poor additions aside from the main story missions and new costumes. It's a shame that the entire arc felt like a real half step in terms of offering new content, it's best likened to something like the half step expansions from Destiny like The Dark Below wherein it's mostly the same locations from the base game repurposed and populated with variants of enemies you've fought before and a brief storyline that connects the missions together. Throw in a string of side content that ranges from uninteresting to downright bad.

I like some of the story developments, most of which actually came directly from this third DLC as the first two kind of just served to build the foundation of the reveals/developments in Silver Lining but aside from a single major character from the main game, nobody else has really changed or evolved through the story told here which leaves the entire thing feeling inessential aside from that singular characters arc.

I guess what I'm saying is that when you consider the lackluster gameplay additions, unbalanced new enemy types, short length, lack of new areas or gadgets and the mostly nonessential story told, it's probably best to just save the $25 unless you're someone like me who needed anything else - no matter how questionable the quality - to sustain the hunger for more Spider-Man. The major story development will almost assuredly be covered thoroughly in Spider-Man 2 and I'm sure there are already plenty of YouTube videos showcasing the scenes so for those of you who feel as if you're satisfied enough with the base game experience and you can hold out for the sequel, I would save the dough. For those of you like me who simply couldn't stand to leave the game behind quite yet and were desperately craving more, know that while you will certainly be fulfilled in the most basic sense purely by virtue of having more content to play through, the content isn't anywhere near the quality standard set by the base game and is actually quite disappointing in most regards other than the narrative so tailor your expectations accordingly or perhaps wait for a sale on the expansions/season pass.

Last edited:

JonCha

Oct 29, 2017
UK
I just wanted to pop in and ask a question or two given this is on sale (though Amazon is actually £30 cheaper).

I was wondering if the kinda middle of the game feels like a bit of a grind, and if the open world is interesting enough to sustain about 20 hours of play time? I've played open world games before where it feels like w bit of a tick-box exercise and it's not actually enjoyable.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
So you need to get all suits for 100% completion, right? Can you do it in new game+ or does it have to be on a single playthrough? The taskmaster challenges are obnoxious enough that I don't want to revisit them to get silvers or golds.

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
I don't get the idea of ramping up difficulty in the DLC, whilst not giving you any new tools. I had to redo the first safe house in the Silver Sable DLC 4 times before I could actually complete it, that's with having to lower difficulty in the last DLC cause some fights were suddenly way too hard.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually loving the higher difficulty in the second DLC. First safe house I hit felt intense but a blast to complete. Made me really bounce between several gadgets and various moves. But that's just me.
I'm actually really enjoying the DLC because I've not played the game for a few months since 100%ing it, so diving back into it feels so good. Loved Black Cat in part 1.

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017
I just wanted to pop in and ask a question or two given this is on sale (though Amazon is actually £30 cheaper).

I was wondering if the kinda middle of the game feels like a bit of a grind, and if the open world is interesting enough to sustain about 20 hours of play time? I've played open world games before where it feels like w bit of a tick-box exercise and it's not actually enjoyable.

It definitely has some open world bloat, but the traversal and combat is so good, I didn't mind it.