• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Plywood

Does not approve of this tag
Oct 25, 2017
The weird part is that not only was she on the poster, she's also a fan favorite from BP, no?

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
pretty safe to say that leaving Gurira's name off the poster wasn't a mistake and wasn't out of spite, either; she likely just doesn't have a very large role in the film, unfortunately (Okoye isn't in any of the promotional art produced for merchandising, nor does she have new action figures or whatnot afaik), but Marvel wanted to draw in the BP audience by putting a character from it on the poster anyway.

but the optics were bad and they were right to revise the poster; just don't get your hopes up expecting Okoye to have a larger role than she had in IW, if that

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not a huge fan of Okoye (I feel that both Nakia and Shuri were more fun and had more interesting skills), but considering that they specifically left her around, there should be something in store for her. And obviously her name should be on the poster.

Deleted member 28461

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Glad they fixed it. Should've been there from the beginning, she's one of the current highlights of the franchise.

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I sort of find it strange she's on the poster to begin with, just doesn't fit in with the others.

Hrodulf

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, they literally billed everyone on the poster except for her. Pretty fucked up, honestly.

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
She was the best part of Black Panther (she was more memorable than the main character), so I hope she gets more screen time for this sequel. It's so deserved to be in that poster and properly named. Sad that it probably was already printed and distributed without it I assume?

OP
OP
Nikus

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
She was the best part of Black Panther (she was more memorable than the main character), so I hope she gets more screen time for this sequel. It's so deserved to be in that poster and properly named. Sad that it probably was already printed and distributed without it I assume?
You mispelled Shuri, but that's okay cuz they were both more memorable than T'Challa.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017

SeeingeyeDug

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, Karen Gillan has the clout but not mother fuckin Michonne?

It "kinda" makes sense compared to the other actors in the movie and their status, but Karen Gillan gets on there?

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
My guess was that they uploaded the wrong version.

As someone who works in the print industry I can tell you that is really common.

Deleted member 11039

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Actually folks need to look themselves trying to make this about contracts and popularity when Jeremy Renner, and Karen Gillian got credit before she did. Cause at best it makes you look like clown shoes, at worse, suspect

I don't know. Her name was on the Infinity War poster where people like Gillian and Pom Klementieff's weren't even though they're shown.

I'd guess it is a contract thing and they didn't notice she was the only character shown without a name credit and realized the optics or it is indeed just a mistake and her name was supposed to be there the whole time.

Hard for me to imagine anything nefarious after her name being on IW.

A1t8xCe9jwL._SY679_.jpg

Last edited:

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Actually folks need to look themselves trying to make this about contracts and popularity when Jeremy Renner, and Karen Gillian got credit before she did. Cause at best it makes you look like clown shoes, at worse, suspect
They've both been in trailers though. We haven't seen Okoye at all, have we? Besides the flashback in the latest one.

I figured she just wasn't in the movie that much, and they slapped her on the poster because T'Challa and Shuri were dusted and they wanted to market to BP fans.

Them putting her name on there is making me questioning that though. Hopefully there isn't a backlash afterwards if it turns out she's actually not in the movie that much.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My guess is her and her agent didn't have the pull to get her name up on the poster and Marvel didn't consider how it would look that the only person left out was the black woman.

... Now, why the black woman was the only one lacking the clout to make the billing is a whole other discussion.

Well they addressed it but that's correct. In fact no poster goes out without the agents seeing how their client is billed and in what order which is why you often see two person posters with the names in the wrong place. It's lawyerball and not malicious but it's a stupid thing very frequently that actually messes up posters and messaging and design and Hollywood is so weird it doesn't care.

It's not nefarious and in fact I wouldn't be surprised if some douchey agent has probably already complained about the addition and filed a complaint with SAG.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know. Her name was on the Infinity War poster where people like Gillian and Pom Klementieff's weren't even though they're shown.

I'd guess it is a contract thing and they didn't notice she was the only character shown without a name credit and realized the optics or it is indeed just a mistake and her name was supposed to be there the whole time.

Hard for me to image anything nefarious after her name being on IW.

A1t8xCe9jwL._SY679_.jpg
I am not saying Disney did anything bad, I am mostly talking to people that are all like "Well actually" talking about contracts and shit. It is needless derailing and dismissive of her

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
If she's gonna be featured on the poster, her name should be featured as well. Some of you who are arguing contracts are disregarding the fact that she is featured on the poster and was the only person whose name wasn't - it's bad optics even if there wasn't any malice behind it.

Marvel did the right thing here. Whether this was due to contracts or agents messing up, it's been resolved now. No need to play devil's advocate as to why it should be unresolved.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
To me she is literally one of the best characters to ever be introduced into the MCU. I hope we get more of her. Glad she is getting her recognition.
Now give me a movie with her as a star, I'll be there day one and then back again.

faceless

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i wonder how many contracts they broke to update the poster in a few hours post release?

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017
I don't know...

The "she should have been up there all this time" bit, reads like they simply forgot.

But like, you don't just forget something like that. She was the only one on the poster without her name there. I'm assuming multiple people worked on/approved this before it came out and no one caught it? Seems unlikely that it was just forgetfulness.

Coming from a background of working closely with Movie Studios and approval of artwork for media purposes, I'd say you would be spot on that no one caught it.

The amount of times there's been a misunderstanding of approval and going live with something that wasn't actually approved is frightening. I've had to suffer the anxiety of wondering if it will slip through the cracks or if it will be picked up plenty of times :s

NHarmonic.

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I want to keep my happy mood after watching Cap Marvel so i'm not reading the twitter replies.

Hope these "mistakes" stop happening. Seriously, it's time.

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017
I noticed this and figured it was because of acting/agent/contract politics, but I also thought it was bizarre that she was the only missing one. I'm glad she's there now.

Bio

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denver, Colorado
I don't know...

The "she should have been up there all this time" bit, reads like they simply forgot.

But like, you don't just forget something like that. She was the only one on the poster without her name there. I'm assuming multiple people worked on/approved this before it came out and no one caught it? Seems unlikely that it was just forgetfulness.

The world is shitty enough, let's maybe not automatically assume the worst in people, especially when there are more logical explanations.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
Cool though she's probably only at the beginning to say get the fuck out of Wakanda and at the end for a post snap re-union. Nice gesture but calling it a mistake or oversight that needed to be corrected is a bit of a stretch. Poster billing is way too contentious for this to not be intentional. I wonder how many contracts they had to break to update that poster? Probably a drop in the bucket for good PR though.

https://www.denofgeek.com/uk/movies/movie-posters/47412/the-dark-arts-of-poster-billing

OP
OP
Nikus

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
How the hell am I just now finding out Bradley Cooper voices Rocket?
I could be wrong but I think he also does the mocap. Needs confirmation though.
To me she is literally one of the best characters to ever be introduced into the MCU.
tenor.gif

I want to keep my happy mood after watching Cap Marvel so i'm not reading the twitter replies.
For once they're surprisingly positive and fun. I don't know what's happening this week but I guess the alt-right is too fucking tired with all the Ls they have to carry at once. Let's enjoy it while it lasts.