• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

CassCade

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Glad they did it, it's odd to see everyone else who appears on the poster to have their name up except her.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I couldn't understand why she was the only one on the poster not credited. It was so glaringly weird.
It's pretty obvious why she wasn't and once it clicks it isn't weird at all. Black women getting shafted even when theyre on a poster of the biggest movie of the year.

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
Errrr. Did she get paid? Thats the question that im wondering. From what i know, if your name is not listed in the credit, it means you dont get paid. I had this experience once in my college, the teacher didnt put name on poster or credit roll list if the name owner didnt get paid. And we were in theatre business (stage play)

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
it's weird she's the only one facing the other direction. Well Thor too, but he more looks like he's lost than anything.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Errrr. Did she get paid? Thats the question that im wondering. From what i know, if your name is not listed in the credit, it means you dont get paid. I had this experience once in my college, the teacher didnt put name on poster or credit roll list if the name owner didnt get paid. And we were in theatre business (stage play)
Credits is different than the poster lol

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
Should've put her name all the way on the left. Like, wtf?

Absolute bullshit that she was put all the way on the right like some afterthought.

Glenn

Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't it updated a couple hours later. I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt and believe they simply uploaded the wrong version

Deleted member 1041

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
so is this JUST on the digital poster or will it be on the posters they sent to theaters? cause if it's just the former...that's some easy appeasement they're going for lol

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like this article should be mandatory reading to at least understand what the billing on poster means and how it comes together:

https://www.denofgeek.com/uk/movies/movie-posters/47412/the-dark-arts-of-poster-billing

The order in which actor's names appear on a poster might be contested as if it's a matter of life or death. It's no exaggeration to say that people have been sent to the electric chair with less wrangling or dispute than a handful of movie star names have been splashed onto a poster.

While billing disputes are almost as old as cinema, the most important – at least in terms of trendsetting - may well be the arguments surrounding The Towering Inferno.

The Towering Inferno was a huge movie, and it had several huge movie stars in it. Hugest of all were Steve McQueen and Paul Newman, absolute monsters of 1970s Hollywood superstardom. As far as all public knowledge goes, they were paid exactly the same amount for the film, and apparently (though this might just be a great urban myth) given exactly the same amount of lines.

The story goes that McQueen didn't want Paul Newman to have more lines than he did, and so his role was rewritten significantly to expand it. Nor did he want Newman to get better billing on the poster. That bit sounds like it might have been a simpler request to fulfil, but satisfying the actors and their agents here actually needed a lot of creative thinking in its own right.

The original posters that gave us the notion of billing to start with would list cast members in a vertical stack. The higher on the page your name is, the better your position. At the same time, people reading posters in the English speaking world will read from left to right. It was by combining these two ideas that a poster was created to satisfy the billing needs for The Towering Inferno.

As many in this thread have already said, these names don't just get decided by the movie company. They are a core part of the contracts. You can be pretty certain that the people who were responsible for the poster and the people who were responsible for the billing aren't the same people. So Danai Guriras' agents likely didn't negotiate for poster billing in their contract, while the PR team obviously still want to use the incredible marketing potential of Black Panther.

This isn't me saying that this is great or that the optics aren't terrible by her being the only person of color, but people thinking that either Disney just forgot or that it was malicious intent in them saying "let's use her for the poster, but let's NOT credit her as the only person, hehe" are likely off base. The billing is simply a symptom of the only relevant black character in this movie being a rather umimportant side character whos actor also has little to no clout in the industry or grounds to really negotiate for poster billing.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I feel like this article should be mandatory reading to at least understand what the billing on poster means and how it comes together:

https://www.denofgeek.com/uk/movies/movie-posters/47412/the-dark-arts-of-poster-billing

As many in this thread have already said, these names don't just get decided by the movie company. They are a core part of the contracts. You can be pretty certain that the people who were responsible for the poster and the people who were responsible for the billing aren't the same people. So Danai Guriras' agents likely didn't negotiate for poster billing in their contract, while the PR team obviously still want to use the incredible marketing potential of Black Panther.

This isn't me saying that this is great or that the optics aren't terrible by her being the only person of color, but people thinking that either Disney just forgot or that it was malicious intent in them saying "let's use her for the poster, but let's NOT credit her as the only person, hehe" are likely off base. The billing is simply a symptom of the only relevant black character in this movie being a rather umimportant side character whos actor also has little to no clout in the industry or grounds to really negotiate for poster billing.
The billing negotiations must have been especially weird when literally half the cast can't have their name or face on the poster, some of them pretty big names.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah but at some point they have to put the names on the poster and it has to be approved. So why couldn't they notice what a bunch of people online instantly noticed?

Because the amount of people online is a lot higher than the amount of people in their marketing team. Maybe someone noticed but didn't care. But don't attribute to malice what is way easier explained by incompetence.

Jeremy Renner was on there

Jeremy Renner was on there
Actually folks need to look themselves trying to make this about contracts and popularity when Jeremy Renner, and Karen Gillian got credit before she did. Cause at best it makes you look like clown shoes, at worse, suspect

We are not insiders, so we don't know the exact quotes of these people. But I'm betting Jeremy Renner still has a better contract. That subtle way you are trying to accuse of racism is also the same racism that would explain just that. That he is a crap actor that can't carry a film doesn't matter. You are also well aware enough of how movie posters work to know that this happens all the time. It is just that when it happens in general it is funny while here it creates unfortunate optics when it is in a universe that is doing very bad on representation.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
3 out of 3 of those actors play secondary characters. It's quite reasonable.

Now, why are the non-white characters almost automatically the secondary characters? That's the issue.
Even weirder is that Shuri got billing and is on the poster and she's probably in the movie for less time than all of them except maybe Wong.

Deleted member 179

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My guess is the name at the top wasnt negotiated, it just so happened the only person of color on the poster was the only one who didnt get that so it looked terrible. Glad they took care of it quickly.

Nov 17, 2017
The world is shitty enough, let's maybe not automatically assume the worst in people, especially when there are more logical explanations.
I didn't automatically assume anything. I looked at the facts and came to a conclusion. It just doesn't make sense that no one noticed it.

Also you're right, the world is shitty, especially to black women so that just makes it all the more believable.

Because the amount of people online is a lot higher than the amount of people in their marketing team. Maybe someone noticed but didn't care. But don't attribute to malice what is way easier explained by incompetence.
Did I say it was done in malice? No, I'm saying it was incompetence and that no one cared enough to notice because she's a black woman. I don't believe they consciously were like "let's leave the black woman out" but the fact that they didn't care to notice is just as much of a problem. You can still be influenced by and contribute to racial bias without malice or really without an accuse awareness of it. Unfortunately to those that have to experience it, they have no choice but to notice.

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California
Good that they fixed it but I'm surprised so many people noticed the error. I didn't think anyone specifically looked at the names on movie posters.

S-Wind

Nov 4, 2017

OK, a lot of people are incompetent at remembering that non-White people matter.

Montresor

Oct 27, 2017
Some intern/employee made a mistake and it got corrected. Nothing more and nothing less. We don't have the information to conclude whether or not that mistake was borne out of malicious or racist intent, or if it was a benign oversight, etc... we just don't have that info.

To me there's nothing wrong with the original outcry, and good on Marvel for fixing it, but I just cannot wrap my head around the speculation ongoing regarding why the mistake happened in the first place.

Thequietone

Oct 26, 2017
Kind of off topic but I wonder how much screen time she'll have. I mean her character does have the motivation of bringing T'challa back from the snap, but I can't imagine she's been following the Avengers around this whole time.

May 26, 2018
Some intern/employee made a mistake and it got corrected. Nothing more and nothing less. We don't have the information to conclude whether or not that mistake was borne out of malicious or racist intent, or if it was a benign oversight, etc... we just don't have that info.

To me there's nothing wrong with the original outcry, and good on Marvel for fixing it, but I just cannot wrap my head around the speculation ongoing regarding why the mistake happened in the first place.

Getting philosophical for a second: I think there are certain realities about the world we've built, and are still building. One of them is that our W.I.P. world frequently sucks more for particular people.

That reality doesn't have to rubberstamp everything related to their lives, as sometimes there are universal misfortunes, but when bad things do happen, it's a massive possibility that's worth regarding. If we don't, the world we're building keeps spinning the way it always has, rickety and off-axis, for no one pointed out the flaws in its design.

OP
OP
Nikus

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's surprising he gets any money after spoiling Infinity War
I have no idea what you're talking ab-

1x9u8wA.jpg

ynHSIvB.jpg

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So actors have to pay studios to get their names on the top of posters?

themoreyoulearn.gif

UnderSiege

Mar 5, 2019
Kind of off topic but I wonder how much screen time she'll have. I mean her character does have the motivation of bringing T'challa back from the snap, but I can't imagine she's been following the Avengers around this whole time.
I assume she has more motivation to protect and rebuild Wakanda after the destruction it suffered in Infinity War and the death of the king. She puts Wakanda above everything (including T'Challa), as we've seen in Black Panther. So, I don't think she'll have much of a role in Endgame.