• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
This really feels like we're splitting hairs.

If Thanos is still standing at the end of 3, 4 is a part two, even if a ton of things shift. End of story. Of course, you could argue Civil War is a part two to Winter Soldier in some respects, and I'd agree with that sentiment as well. The big difference between those two films is the Sokovia Accords plot line splitting the Avengers up giving the former film its own unique feel. Something similar could obviously be done for 4, but I'd still feel comfortable admitting it's just the end of the story 3 dove into.
I mean, I wouldn't consider The Avengers to be "Thor Part 2" because the villain was still Loki, or "Captain America Part 2" because the plot still revolved around the Tesseract. They're sequels. I think of that differently from a Part 1/Part 2 situation where you're making one movie that's split into two for release.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I wouldn't consider The Avengers to be "Thor Part 2" because the villain was still Loki, or "Captain America Part 2" because the plot still revolved around the Tesseract. They're sequels. I think of that differently from a Part 1/Part 2 situation where you're making one movie that's split into two for release.

Poor comparisons, and you know it.

Oct 27, 2017
From what issue did you start reading from? I'm not sure where to start with Hickman.

I've been using this as a reference:

Started with New Avengers #1-3. From there you bounce back and forth between Avengers and New Avengers.

Honestly if you're on Marvel Unlimited you may as well start at the very beginning. Agents of SHIELD has been pulling in concepts from Secret Warriors for a while now, and Hickman's Fantastic Four and FF stuff directly sets the table for his Avengers run.

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
I'm holding out hope that once we get a FF MCU movie, the Hickman FF Omnibuses get reprinted, cuz right now those are hella expensive on the second hand market, and to read it in the right order is a real pain in digital.

Marvel Unlimited needs a "playlist" feature so fans could make "mixtapes" of suggested reading orders.

IHaveIce

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm holding out hope that once we get a FF MCU movie, the Hickman FF Omnibuses get reprinted, cuz right now those are hella expensive on the second hand market, and to read it in the right order is a real pain in digital.

Marvel Unlimited needs a "playlist" feature so fans could make "mixtapes" of suggested reading orders.
Yeah. I got the 2nd Omnibus.. getting the first one for a reasonable price is impossible. They are like 450€ minimum here

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Really hope all the footage weve seen so far for IW are just from the first 2/3rds of the movie. Wakanda seems to be the final act of the film from the looks of things, but im hoping it will be earlier on in the film than expected.

Theres a neat theory going around form a few days ago that im just seeing now. Basically its theorizing that there might be
multiple timelines in IW and Strange is going through each of them trying to find the best outcome.
Heres a full write up about it from Screenrant:

https://screenrant.com/avengers-infinity-war-fan-theory-multiple-timelines-doctor-strange/

Its a neat idea, but I doubt they would spend the entire movie using this idea. But it does seem like parts of it might be accurate considering Cumburbatch is the only one who has read the entire script, along with the different cuts of scenes in the trailers/tv spots.

ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
Really hope all the footage weve seen so far for IW are just from the first 2/3rds of the movie. Wakanda seems to be the final act of the film from the looks of things, but im hoping it will be earlier on in the film than expected.

Theres a neat theory going around form a few days ago that im just seeing now. Basically its theorizing that there might be
multiple timelines in IW and Strange is going through each of them trying to find the best outcome.
Heres a full write up about it from Screenrant:

https://screenrant.com/avengers-infinity-war-fan-theory-multiple-timelines-doctor-strange/

Its a neat idea, but I doubt they would spend the entire movie using this idea. But it does seem like parts of it might be accurate considering Cumburbatch is the only one who has read the entire script, along with the different cuts of scenes in the trailers/tv spots.

People's theories are going WAY too elaborate for a 149 minute movie, and there are going to be some pissed off people when the 20 hour movie they have filmed in their heads doesn't materialize next week.

El Toporo

Oct 25, 2017
The multiple timeline stuff reminds me of the (dumb) fake Age of Ultron leak/rumor/something, which I think involved time loops.

SArcher

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So I'm reading the Jim Starlin infinity Gauntlet books for the first time (only just started with the Infinity Gauntlet Prologue HC) and Thanos's plan in the book also appears to be killing half the population of the universe whereas I had been lead to believe that in the comics he wants to destroy everything. People were even acting surprised when they revealed Thanos's motivation in the latest trailer.

ManaByte

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
So I'm reading the Jim Starlin infinity Gauntlet books for the first time (only just started with the Infinity Gauntlet Prologue HC) and Thanos's plan in the book also appears to be killing half the population of the universe whereas I had been lead to believe that in the comics he wants to destroy everything. People were even acting surprised when they revealed Thanos's motivation in the latest trailer.

No people are surprised that Death isn't in Infinity War, because they don't read comics and just Wikipedia summaries and then go on a poutrage think piece frenzy.

Oneiros

Oct 27, 2017
I see people float this idea all the time in trailer threads, but its just not realistic. Big action scenes are what sells the movie. The trailers aren't going to leave those out.

LionPride

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The trailers from the last few MCU movies have been the first like third of the movie with some of the end in em except for Spider-Man

The rest have primarily featured the first 30-40 minutes in the trailers

ManaByte

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
There are shots in the trailer from the end of the third act, but since you don't know the context of those and Marvel does heavily digitally alter them to hide stuff, why does it matter?

Egg0

Oct 25, 2017

There are people talking in front of what looks like a dope cabin in the woods.

Hawkeye's new house confirmed.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
Will we see Spidey use that awesome instant kill mode? And I hope Stark makes a comment about his upgrades being Captain America proof. I just wanna think that he upgraded his suit after Cap was able to disable it so easily.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Will we see Spidey use that awesome instant kill mode? And I hope Stark makes a comment about his upgrades being Captain America proof. I just wanna think that he upgraded his suit after Cap was able to disable it so easily.
Begs the question, if Cap tried to rip the arc reactor out would he have severed his flesh arm? Or Bucky's leftie?

JackFrost

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
There are shots in the trailer from the end of the third act, but since you don't know the context of those and Marvel does heavily digitally alter them to hide stuff, why does it matter?

Honestly it conflicts me. Especially because I'm the type who loves to rewatch their favorite films. So surprise factor should hold little weight for me.

Yet I still find myself panicking that I know too much or that I've been spoiled. I don't like the idea of knowing where the film is headed on my first watch. Maybe I'm crazy.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Next up on the re-watch is Age of Ultron, also known as the movie that's almost as good as Avengers 1, and better in some aspects, and you're objectively wrong if you disagree. Straight up call the cops on yo ass if you say it's bad.

Voltt

Oct 25, 2017
Next up on the re-watch is Age of Ultron, also known as the movie that's almost as good as Avengers 1, and better in some aspects, and you're objectively wrong if you disagree. Straight up call the cops on yo ass if you say it's bad.

It is better than Avengers 1. A lot of the reason people think so highly of the first film is because of the novelty of it. They overlook a lot of its flaws because it was so new and fresh. AoU didn't have that advantage, so it gets nitpicked to death.

Hardhat

Banned
Feb 7, 2018
Nope. A2 is a film being crushed under it's own weight. It's simultaneously a sequel to A1, a capstone to Phase 2, and a setup for Phase 3.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
Man, I went to see Ultron the day after I finished up my last year of college classes and was trying to de-stress. I came out of the theater loving it.

Still enjoy it to this day. Agreed on it being underrated.

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
The cinematography in Avengers 1 could be charitably described as "point the camera at something that happens in the script and shoot."

That's about the only respect in which AoU is an improvement.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Great art from Edwin Huang of all MCU represented characters in comic form.

HALykZ5.jpg

I want this dude to make the art for the next marvel vs capcom

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
My only major gripe with Age of Ultron is Ultron. Not a unique critique but that mofo would not stop joking. I'm not one of those people that hates comedy in Marvel films but Ultron was the only time where I could agree that they needed to tone down the jokes. The trailer makes him seem like such a crazy and menacing character, almost like a Thanos lite, and yet he can't stop goofin' around. Pretty sure he was workshopping some jokes for his standup routine at the Laugh Factory.

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
My only major gripe with Age of Ultron is Ultron. Not a unique critique but that mofo would not stop joking. I'm not one of those people that hates comedy in Marvel films but Ultron was the only time where I could agree that they needed to tone down the jokes. The trailer makes him seem like such a crazy and menacing character, almost like a Thanos lite, and yet he can't stop goofin' around. Pretty sure he was workshopping some jokes for his standup routine at the Laugh Factory.

Ultron doesn't goof around or make jokes in the movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.