• Welcome to ResetEra 2.0! Guests should now be able to save their dark or light theme preferences, found on the left sidebar.

Marvel Cinematic Universe | All Hope Lies In Doom

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
As much as I love superhero movies (and goddamn do I love them), none of them really deserve awards. Even ones that break out of the "genre film" ghetto (Dark Knight, Spider-Man 2, Logan, and yeah, Black Panther) are just "decent-to-good" in the wider film landscape.

Same with superhero TV. Love me some Agents of SHIELD but it's not even in the top 20 shows this past year.

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
Oh yeah, they can definitely warrant specific awards - there's aspects of them (effects, score, acting, maybe even screenplay) that could warrant recognition. But I don't think any have come together well enough as a final product.

Like, if Black Panther didn't spend like 20% of its runtime on goofy, pointless CG action it'd be a much better film. And Coogler could have done it, too - look at Creed, which did a great job presenting its boxing scenes in a way that feels meaningful and artful.

It'll happen someday, but it hasn't yet.

Oct 29, 2017
Already removed, what was it?
It showed Joaquin Phoenix going from serious to smiling, from the Joker camera test. Then it had pictures of Brie Larson from the trailer not smiling.
Showing how a variety of extreme facial expressions look in makeup is one of the main purposes of a camera test.
Ppl not understanding what a camera test is for and hating women in lead roles. Fucking idiots.
Not only that, but Joker's entire signature look is his freaking smile. That's like saying "Captain America's suit looks more patriotic than Captain Marvel's."

Yes and no. Wonder Woman definitely had the "She cannot act" complaints, but it feels much more vocal with Captain Marvel.
Then again, actresses getting shat upon by (certain vocal parts of) the fandom is nothing new when it comes to MCU.
Wonder Woman had:
A false letter from a crew member on the blog Pajiba that claimed the movie was a "mess" and WB was in a panic over it. Patty Jenkins had to personally debunk it as bullshit.
Complaints that she didn't have any armpit hair.
Claims that the movie was "fat shaming" people because of a promotional tie-in with some protein bar brand.

Oct 29, 2017
Thanos comin' brehs, I feel it.
Yes and no. Wonder Woman definitely had the "She cannot act" complaints, but it feels much more vocal with Captain Marvel.
Then again, actresses getting shat upon by (certain vocal parts of) the fandom is nothing new when it comes to MCU.
Same shit happened last year with Panther, then the Opening weekend reciepts came in and folks mysteriously got REAL quiet. Gal got shit on for 2 years, then her movie opens and again folks ain't got shit to say.

We going to the Oscars, brehs
It won't happen but if it do, I'm going straight Shannon Sharpe with the Hennessey, and the black n' milds.

Last edited: