• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
giphy.gif

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Alexander is cheaper, so if anything her tv show being the one to introduce a more cg heavy character makes sense

But I saw the 4chan rumor and that scarlet witch stuff is pure bad fanfiction so I have serious doubts about everything that comes from that

Beta Ray Bill debuting on anything but the big screen is just disgusting.

Squirrel Girl fans hear your pain, Mamba

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
Black Lives Matter is a movement whose aim is to end police brutality.

Alexandra Shipp is contrasting that with people not wanting her to play Storm because she's not dark enough.

It's idiotic and insulting regardless of whether or not her skin tone matters.

Oct 31, 2017
I feel bad for Alexandra Shipp, especially if you look at all those comments. She's been salty and fighting people online since the announcement of Disney buying Fox (and pretty much confirming they'll reboot the X-Men and she'll be recast). She should just keep her mouth shut and not engage, but I don't think she can help herself.

The red carpet and marketing for this movie will be painful for the talent, if it does indeed gets released. All the more reason why this movie is a dumpster fire and should be cancelled and written off.

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All the more reason why this movie is a dumpster fire and should be cancelled and written off.
As bad as the news surrouning it has been, all that won't stop "Dark Phoenix" from earning money. There's a reason Fox hasn't been bombarding us with trailers, cross-promotional materials, etc: they're trying to keep the marketing costs of this film low enough for the company to recoup some money. We know the budget for this thing is ~$200 million, and lets assume the reduced advertising means Fox is only spending $200 million on promotion, which is also on the higher end of things.
An advertising budget for an independent wide release to support an opening weekend can start in the $20 million range, and for a studio tentpole release, P&A can reach in excess of $150 million. Rising advertising costs compounded by the ever-increasing fragmentation of advertising consumed by the moviegoing audience is creating significant investment challenges.
$400 million dollars gross is not a hard target for a mainstream superhero blockbuster to hit. Will it be critically savaged? Probably. Will it earn at least $400 million dollars? I'd 100% think so.

Oct 31, 2017
As bad as the news surrouning it has been, all that won't stop "Dark Phoenix" from earning money. There's a reason Fox hasn't been bombarding us with trailers, cross-promotional materials, etc: they're trying to keep the marketing costs of this film low enough for the company to recoup some money. We know the budget for this thing is ~$200 million, and lets assume the reduced advertising means Fox is only spending $200 million on promotion, which is also on the higher end of things.

$400 million dollars gross is not a hard target for a mainstream superhero blockbuster to hit. Will it be critically savaged? Probably. Will it earn at least $400 million dollars? I'd 100% think so.

Disney wrote off 157MM last quarter on Vice. 100MM+ in one quarter last year on Gigantic. That 200MM is not that much money to Disney, especially coming off a 72B + debt acquisition. It's sunk cost and it's better for the long term viability of the brand to write this waste off and start rebooting.

EDIT: We'll see though, if it gets released in theaters I'll be entertained regardless watching the shitshow play out.

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Disney wrote off 157MM last quarter on Vice. 100MM+ in one quarter last year on Gigantic. That 200MM is not that much money to Disney, especially coming off a 72B + debt acquisition. It's sunk cost and it's better for the long term viability of the brand to write this waste off and start rebooting.
But, there's a difference between these examples. For Vice Media and Gigantic, those were written off because Disney knew there was no way they could recoup their money spent. In the short-run, you can't make money on a flagging media brand and an animation project with no completed footage. With X-Men, there clearly is a path for them to recoup Fox's investment: releasing the movie. 200 million dollars isn't a lot to Disney as a whole, but why lose money when you don't need to? Frankly speaking, I doubt this will hurt the long-term viability for X-Men. I don't think it takes an expert to realize that Disney will let the X-Men characters rest before they begin work on them. The Fantastic Four alone are such a huge property that Disney doesn't need to start messing with mutants until Phase 5. With a gap of three to five years and the strength of the MCU brand, "Dark Phoenix" won't inflict any damage to the MCU that Feige's vision & Disney's marketing machine can't fix.

Mix Master

Oct 29, 2017
Haven't been here in a month, what are the chances the Far from home trailer spoils avengers or just recaps the movie like the 1st one did.

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I thought Marvel Studio has been trying to delay the trailer as long as they could. Might mean there are some spoiler they don't want to reveal

In that case they wouldn't just want to delay it, would they?
Anything concerning Sony Pictures wouldn't surprise me at this point, but I imagine they have a good enough relationship with Marvel Studios that they'll avoid spoiling Endgame.

Status
Not open for further replies.