• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
There's no way the Disney/Fox deal doesn't finish before September, and no way New Mutants comes to theaters. Maybe Netflix.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
I just took a look at the Rotten Tomatoes audience reviews on Captain Marvel and holy shit it is a toxic dumpster fire.

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
I just took a look at the Rotten Tomatoes audience reviews on Captain Marvel and holy shit it is a toxic dumpster fire.
Some people really have it out for this movie on the Internet, at first I though most of it was just about the trailers, which, if you didn't like, you didn't like, it's completely fine. Now, I think that shit goes way deeper
Hopefully the social media reactions on Tuesday and the reviews on March 5th helps shut up the haters
If not the box office will have to do it

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Some people really have it out for this movie on the Internet, at first I though most of it was just about the trailers, which, if you didn't like, you didn't like, it's completely fine. Now, I think that shit goes way deeper
Hopefully the social media reactions on Tuesday and the reviews on March 5th helps shut up the haters
If not the box office will have to do it

I'm not surprised at all. It was the same way last year with Black Panther.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
Was just about to say that. I expected this to happen. Expect it again if black widow movies is ever actually a thing
Idk, just feels like it's something about Captain Marvel. Even before the trailers you could see the hate from many on here and social media. People just hate Carol for being a supposedly terrible character and for some reason that hatred is being transferred to the movie version, not sure if that was done with Iron Man who was on a downward trend in the comics.

I hope in the end that the movie is good and does well despite the hate it's getting so far.

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
Y'all got short memories. They tried this with Black Panther and Star Wars and Wonder Woman and Ghostbusters.

We know who it is and why they do it.

Strider_Blaze

Oct 28, 2017
Lancaster, CA
Haven't been in this thread in awhile. I feared that the hatred towards Carol would translate. As if people forget that the MCU version of the characters match any of the much more controversial comic versions.

I do remember Iron Man not being well liked since Civil War I, but the film version turning out better than expected.

And read the article regarding Brie wanting a diverse cast: did people seriously take that out of context and think Brie didn't want men to watch the film?

Last edited:

Watership

Oct 27, 2017
Y'all got short memories. They tried this with Black Panther and Star Wars and Wonder Woman and Ghostbusters.

We know who it is and why they do it.
Oh we know why, and who. But for the past month it has seems far more aggressive, more organized. Carol in the comics (after they took away her bathing suit and gave her the Captain Marvel name) brought out the worst in that fandom. And now as a movie has just amplified that lunacy. When my parents of all people notice negative, angry an sexist comments on the Instyle interview with Brie Larson, you know something is wrong.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Haven't been in this thread in awhile. I feared that the hatred towards Carol would translate. As if people forget that the MCU version of the characters match any of the much more controversial comic versions.

I do remember Iron Man not being well liked since Civil War I, but the film version turning out better than expected.

And read the article regarding Brie wanting a diverse cast: did people seriously take that out of context and think Brie didn't want men to watch the film?

Pearl clutching folks are the best at misreading, misrepresentating and amplifying their thoughts.

I really wish actual internet police would be set up to deter such trolling. If you send death threats or harass people, you get punished by having the Internet taken away. I don't really care about protecting anonymity at this point. The Internet is too toxic.

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
Oh we know why, and who. But for the past month it has seems far more aggressive, more organized. Carol in the comics (after they took away her bathing suit and gave her the Captain Marvel name) brought out the worst in that fandom. And now as a movie has just amplified that lunacy. When my parents of all people notice negative, angry an sexist comments on the Instyle interview with Brie Larson, you know something is wrong.

It's more aggressive right now because the marketing is ramping up and they're just responding to that. The movie will come and go and they'll move on to the next target.

The fact that Carol gained a bunch of diehard female fans after her comic reboot by KSD means Marvel did something right, unless somebody wants to argue that women readers don't know what's good for them. The angry fuckboys can't tell you why because they're obviously not reading the book. They just know that women have a thing that they need to tear it down.

Anybody who says KSD's run was offensive is full of shit. If they wanna argue it's not good, that's fine, but show your work, otherwise the more time they spend railing against something they haven't read, the more suspect they look. Same goes for the movie.

Last edited:

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I think the fact that the initial criticisms of the first trailer essentially boiled down to 'she needs to smile more' shows that there is a huge amount of sexism at play with a large portion of the negativity to this film.

amusix

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Just saw the Thanos image on Reddit...
0J9Bqa7.jpg

Avengers are pretty much done for in Endgame, right?

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
I get so sick of seeing shit on youtube like 'BRIE LARSON DESTROYING THE MCU' and 'CAPTAIN MARVEL TANKING?!'

These insecure man-children need to fuck off forever.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of my friends really think Captain Marvel is gonna perform poorly.

Can't wrap my mind around it. Gotta just be wishful thinking. Shit weird.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
These are the same dorks doing the Gamergate/Comicsgate/Sadpuppies bullshit that keep trying to get it to stick with superhero movies. Tried to do the same shit with Wonder Woman and Black Panther, failed both times miserably.

They really really want it to stick this time. It won't.

luca

Oct 25, 2017

The Punisher might have been cancelled, not that it comes as a surprise. Official announcement haven't happened yet.

BrokenFiction

Oct 25, 2017
ATL

On behalf of everyone at Marvel Television, we couldn't be more proud or more grateful to our audience.

Our Network partner may have decided they no longer want to continue telling the tales of these great characters... but you know Marvel better than that.

As Matthew Murdock's Dad once said, "The measure of a man is not how he gets knocked to the mat, it's how he gets back up."

To be continued...!

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Our Network Partner"

Come on, Jeph. I'm pretty sure one of the reasons Netflix cancelled the shows is because audience engagement was low and costs were too damn high. If you (i.e. Marvel Entertainment) actually compromised with Netflix to lower episode counts and reduce the frankly annoying amount of bloat your seasons had, you wouldn't be in this situation.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
All this Captain Marvel talk in here but I have to admit that this is probably the least excited I have been for a MCU film ever.
I'm definitely going to watch it but I think the fact that the trailers have been so "meh" coupled with the fact that Endgame is coming right after, really has me thinking that them releasing this after Infinity War was a mistake. They made the same mistake with Antman and Wasp, which made the entire film a big "Who cares, we all know your getting dusted anyways".

I say this but even if I don't like the film, I won't be bashing it online because it's simply too important of a film in media and I won't let the Alt-right take this away from the people who need it to succeed.

ratcliffja

Oct 28, 2017
All this Captain Marvel talk in here but I have to admit that this is probably the least excited I have been for a MCU film ever.
I'm definitely going to watch it but I think the fact that the trailers have been so "meh" coupled with the fact that Endgame is coming right after, really has me thinking that them releasing this after Infinity War was a mistake. They made the same mistake with Antman and Wasp, which made the entire film a big "Who cares, we all know your getting dusted anyways".

I say this but even if I don't like the film, I won't be bashing it online because it's simply too important of a film in media and I won't let the Alt-right take this away from the people who need it to succeed.
For me, that was Ant-Man and the Wasp, but I ended up enjoying that one a lot more than the first. Hopefully this one is also a pleasant surprise.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Who cares, we know you're getting dusted anyways" is an opinion devoid of any thought whatsoever lol. We didn't know who exactly was gonna be hit by it and we needed to know who was gonna be a player in Endgame, and how. Plus, who needs an excuse to watch a fun movie?

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
For me, that was Ant-Man and the Wasp, but I ended up enjoying that one a lot more than the first. Hopefully this one is also a pleasant surprise.
Prior to Captain Marvel, it was Antman and Wasp for me as well but it was more because of coming after Infinity War since I actually enjoyed the first film.
To me, I like what they did for Black Panther, where they introduced him in Civil War and created hype around his solo film so I think had they done something similar with Captain Marvel it would have done some good to the films hype and initial reception.

"Who cares, we know you're getting dusted anyways" is an opinion devoid of any thought whatsoever lol. We didn't know who exactly was gonna be hit by it and we needed to know who was gonna be a player in Endgame, and how. Plus, who needs an excuse to watch a fun movie?

Sure, we didn't know who was going to be dusted specifically but we knew that people were going to end up dusted regardless of how the film ended. My point is, I think it was a mistake for Marvel to release any film in-between Infinity War and Endgame since most people simply won't care as much about the in-between films since everyone wants to know what is going to happen in Endgame.

Last edited:

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Prior to Captain Marvel, it was Antman and Wasp for me as well but it was more because of coming after Infinity War since I actually enjoyed the first film.
To me, I like what they did for Black Panther, where they introduced him in Civil War and created hype around his solo film so I think had they done something similar with Captain Marvel it would have done some good to the films hype and initial reception.
IDK, the pager with Captain Marvel's symbol at the end credits sequence of IW seemed to get people talking

Status
Not open for further replies.