• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I cannot wrap my mind around this film existing and how it can possibly work, just like I couldn't days before Avengers official release.

Fuck. I'm officially bouncing off of the walls.

Jam

Oct 25, 2017
It's a lot to process at the moment. One thing is for sure, this is a Thanos movie through and through like the directors said. I think he's my favorite villain actually. At the moment, but I literally just left the cinema.

Bruh.

Without spoilers does Thanos have enough backstory/motivation? Or was it lacking? Also has Infinity War made you more or less hyped for Captain Marvel / Avengers 4?

CAN Y'ALL STOP HYPING ME UP I HAVE 21 AND A HALF HOURS UNTIL MY SHOWING

Punished Goku

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's a lot to process at the moment. One thing is for sure, this is a Thanos movie through and through like the directors said. I think he's my favorite villain actually. At the moment, but I literally just left the cinema.
giphy.gif

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Bruh.

Without spoilers does Thanos have enough backstory/motivation? Or was it lacking? Also has Infinity War made you more or less hyped for Captain Marvel / Avengers 4?

CAN Y'ALL STOP HYPING ME UP I HAVE 21 AND A HALF HOURS UNTIL MY SHOWING
I'm gonna threat very carefully in this thread. I would say nothing lacked when it came to Thanos. If there was a perfect character in this movie, Thanos was it, by far. I was surprised at how good the tech behind the character was and performance by Brolin. God, that performance. The sublety, emotion, motivation, attention to detail.

Punished Goku

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna threat very carefully in this thread. I would say nothing lacked when it came to Thanos. If there was a perfect character in this movie, Thanos was it, by far. I was surprised at how good the tech behind the character was and performance by Brolin. God, that performance. The sublety, emotion, motivation, attention to detail.
How was Spidey? Was he treated the same as in Civil War? Or is he Central? Just be vague as possible lol.

Deleted member 279

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ive literally been consuming MCU daily for like 2 months and now I'm probably going to have to go dark all day tomorrow up to Thursday night. I usually don't care about spoilers but this time I might have to avoid them

Quick

Oct 25, 2017
I'm probably gonna run through a couple of MCU movies tomorrow and/or Thursday afternoon before my screening Thursday night.

I had Avengers, AoU, and Civil War lined up, but ended up watching Cap 1 instead of CW. I'm reminded of how good Cap 1 was, and it still holds up pretty well.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
One of the critics said ymmv when he talked about it being "too much". Granted, I haven't seen the movie but "too much", depending on who it is, could be a good or bad thing. Like I remember some people saying the same for Civil War but I ate that shit up.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Who is the female narrator in Thor Raganrok when Thor is on Sakaar? "You will soon meet the Grandmaster." Sounds really familar.

Nov 30, 2017
One of the critics said ymmv when he talked about it being "too much". Granted, I haven't seen the movie but "too much", depending on who it is, could be a good or bad thing. Like I remember some people saying the same for Civil War but I ate that shit up.

The main character is a villain.

All the characters were devrloped in previous movies. People reviewing this as a stand-alone, won't feel emotion when characters die, as the movie itself won't be able to do enough to make those people care for them before they are killed.

Especially since the plot of the movie is based around the villain obtaining magical items, and the villain is the main character.

Which then turns the heroes into antagonists/side characters of the story, and you are now asking people to hope the main character fails while the side characters win. Which just doesn't work as a stand-alone movie.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Thanos always should have been the main character of these two movies. He was the main character of the Infinity Gauntlet story too. Glad to see the cinematic version get the same respect for such an important moment/story in the MCU.

Nov 30, 2017
Is Avengers 4 the end of serialized storytelling for the MCU?

I believe so. I don't see how you can keep it going for another 10 years and hope people keep memory of character growth from 15 years prior.

Especially now when 4 movies are released per year. And the daunting task of researching them to get the full satisfaction of it.

And also the daunting task for the writers and directors themselves.

Any thoughts?

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017

I believe so. I don't see how you can keep it going for another 10 years and hope people keep memory of character growth from 15 years prior.

Especially now when 4 movies are released per year. And the daunting task of researching them to get the full satisfaction of it.

Any thoughts?

I think this type of thought is completely dismissive of the reason for the MCU's success. People want to see what happens next and they like to see things change from movie to movie.

People are excited to see Cap and Tony meet up again because of Civil War.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
The only difference might be that there won't be a new Thanos that gets built up for, like, ten years. There will still be a lot of connective tissue between each new movie and the world will seem to advance with each new movie like they do now.

Nov 30, 2017
I think this type of thought is completely dismissive of the reason for the MCU's success. People want to see what happens next and they like to see things change from movie to movie.

People are excited to see Cap and Tony meet up again because of Civil War.

I'm not saying there won't be team-up movies. I'm saying an overarching plot like the infinity stones and Thanos.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017

Any thoughts?
I doubt it's the end of serialized storytelling, because why would it have to be? People will continue to go to the movies that interest them and that's it, while the people who are invested with the world will try to catch it all.

I do suspect Avengers 4 marks the end of Avengers films being event films and I sort of feel that if we get event films that are the culmination of various storylines and films, I doubt they are trying to do the same task of getting every single character they can and put them all in the same movie. I think that by virtue of the typical structure, length, and expectations of a movie, there is a point that a crossover film of that sort stretches too thin. I don't know if personally that will be IW or Avengers 4 or if I ever feel that it can objectively be too much, but I could see with Age of Ultron and then Civil War that there is a bit of diminishing returns in a storytelling sense with so many characters. I think there needs to be another way forward beyond Avengers 4 and that's what I think Kevin Feige is alluding to by claiming this is the end and that things will be different going forward.

Now, that may mean that maybe they do go a bit more stand-alone with their films since DC and Fox were trending a bit that way already, but inevitably, studios will always want to create franchises with sequels, so I think there is a limit to how stand-alone they would be willing to go. But maybe they try a film that's like a Logan or a film that is almost a superhero satire like Deadpool. They could make a "What If..." film that is about an alternate history like what if Civil War turned out differently or whole alternate universes they have stories in. I think there is probably more potential storytelling into heading that direction than just attempting to keep expanding the corners of the existing universe.

I don't think they will completely drop the Avengers brand or expanding things the way they have been doing, but maybe they have an event film that only combines cosmic franchises or have an Avengers story that doesn't concern itself with rounded up ever Earth based hero. Maybe event films get to take on their own branding and storytelling structure so there isn't the same expectations that the core Avenger team will be the main characters, like in the way Thanos is basically the central figure of Infinity War perhaps they can have a 2 or 3 part "Secret Wars" set of films that have a mix of characters revolving around a premise of a story.

Basically, I think things will change going forward, but I don't expect it to be in the ways we might expect.

Nov 30, 2017
I doubt it's the end of serialized storytelling, because why would it have to be? People will continue to go to the movies that interest them and that's it, while the people who are invested with the world will try to catch it all.

I do suspect Avengers 4 marks the end of Avengers films being event films and I sort of feel that if we get event films that are the culmination of various storylines and films, I doubt they are trying to do the same task of getting every single character they can and put them all in the same movie. I think that by virtue of the typical structure, length, and expectations of a movie, there is a point that a crossover film of that sort stretches too thin. I don't know if personally that will be IW or Avengers 4 or if I ever feel that it can objectively be too much, but I could see with Age of Ultron and then Civil War that there is a bit of diminishing returns in a storytelling sense with so many characters. I think there needs to be another way forward beyond Avengers 4 and that's what I think Kevin Feige is alluding to by claiming this is the end and that things will be different going forward.

Now, that may mean that maybe they do go a bit more stand-alone with their films since DC and Fox were trending a bit that way already, but inevitably, studios will always want to create franchises with sequels, so I think there is a limit to how stand-alone they would be willing to go. But maybe they try a film that's like a Logan or a film that is almost a superhero satire like Deadpool. They could make a "What If..." film that is about an alternate history like what if Civil War turned out differently or whole alternate universes they have stories in. I think there is probably more potential storytelling into heading that direction than just attempting to keep expanding the corners of the existing universe.

I don't think they will completely drop the Avengers brand or expanding things the way they have been doing, but maybe they have an event film that only combines cosmic franchises or have an Avengers story that doesn't concern itself with rounded up ever Earth based hero. Maybe event films get to take on their own branding and storytelling structure so there isn't the same expectations that the core Avenger team will be the main characters, like in the way Thanos is basically the central figure of Infinity War perhaps they can have a 2 or 3 part "Secret Wars" set of films that have a mix of characters revolving around a premise of a story.

Basically, I think things will change going forward, but I don't expect it to be in the ways we might expect.

All the negatives for this movie's are because of the disconnect people feel because of this movie not standing on its own.

If you keep going deeper, and in order to get the character arc of Black Panther, you had to watch, Civil War, BP, Avengers 3+4, BP2, a team-up movie, an Avengers movie, and then BP 3, in order for character motivations to make sense.

That's asking a lot of people who just aren't invested. BP has brought on new viewership who hasn't watched any or a few previous movies.

They will go into IW with only BP as their intro to the MCU. If IW isn't a stand alone film, you are asking a lot for people to feel emotional for the other characters, especially with 38 main characters to follow in 2.5 hours.

The thing I see in the future is just team-up movies.
Like Hulk and Thor in Ragnarok. Unless they are origin movies.

The problem is, in Ragnarok people keep saying we didn't need the Dr Strange cameo. I always ask why not? They live in the same universe, and his being there made sense for the plot at that moment. It was a cool thing for us invested to see them interact.

We are not watching Avengers movies because of the plot. We are watching them to seee characters interact, and fight together

Last edited:

Village

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like a lot of people make a mountain out of a molehil about this continuity stuff.

I feel like most folks don't give a shit. the movies generally have centralized plots that ifyou have any idea what the character is you can get almost immediately .

You can literally just watch thor 3 and be fine , and if you wanna go back. That's also fine, the movie has been set up like this forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.