• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

okdakor

Oct 26, 2017
France
I've seen it... They did it, Marvel stays winning. General audience was shocked.
Russos delivered the first real MCU crossover. Also Thanos is in it... And he's really good.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Just rewatched Doctor Strange as I'm in an MCU mood before I see IW tomorrow, and I hadn't seen it since the cinema. It remains highly enjoyable and I feel it gets too much of a bad rap.
There's some fundamental issues, which is that it's in Phase 3 where the MCU is really branching out in style and breaking away from the basic formula it had established, but sticks to a familiar formula nonetheless. In that regard, it feels like it should have been released in Phase 2. Like Thor 1, they play it safe for narrative and character in order to ease in a much bigger and more out there concept of magic and dimensions, with which they can go crazy in future films. It follows the Iron Man 1 story, has a fairly perfunctory villain, no major genre shifts, etc.

However, GOTG 1 is also an origin story, but it just went all in on its cosmic comedy adventure, and it worked. So I think them holding back was unnecessary, audiences can take it. Of course that film also had a perfunctory villain, but hey it was an origin story for a whole team, not one dude.

All that aside, it is a really well made film. It could have done with being longer, perhaps with more time spent with Strange pre-accident, and more on his training, but it's still nicely paced and the production is excellent. The visuals do go all in and are fantastic (along with some choice cinematography and costume design). While some of the cast are wasted (like McAdams and Mikkelsen), it is a great cast, and the musical score stood out on the rewatch as being really rather good, with fine use of choir and harpsichord. Kaecilius is a starter villain through and through (and Marvel know it, they didn't use such a minor and obscure villain by accident), but he's saved from being Malekith tier by giving him a strong scene where he actually explains his motivations, which make sense. I also give the film credit for having a very creative climax.

So in short it's a really strong, if tentative start for Strange, but it's very clear the real meat will be in sequels where they can truly go off the walls. Scott Derrickson was a curious choice given he'd only made horror films, and not particularly good ones at that (in fact Doctor Strange is his first critically successful film), but reading interviews, he obviously has a genuine passion for the material and that counts for a lot. Amidst the ambition of Civil War and Black Panther, the creativity of Ragnarok and GOTG, etc, it does feel quite safe, but it's extremely well made safe and that's ok.
A good foundation.

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017
I actually just finished rewatching Dr Strange just there as well. Though it's my 4th time watching it (3rd in the last month) and I still really enjoy it. It's a good introduction to the character for people like me who have never even heard of Dr Strange and the movie is just good fun to watch. I love Wong, hope we see plenty more of him in any movie Strange is in.

Anyway, IW Tomorrow, yay :D

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Oh and I give the film credit for giving some weight to Strange killing a dude. It's all well and good for Cap or Thor to blow some fools away, they're trained soldiers and warriors, but even in Iron Man 1, Stark blasts guys with zero remorse despite only being a businessman civilian. Strange actually being disturbed that he'd killed a man and broken his oath as a doctor added a lot (while not bogging the whole film down). They also avoided that thing the Tomb Raider reboot (game not film) had where it tried to make it all this traumatic thing for her to kill a guy and she's all freaked out and five minutes later she's over it and moving down dozens of people. Strange goes out of his way to not kill anyone and wins through talking and trickery rather than fighting, it's refreshing.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I kinda get Stark's turn into being ok with killing; by the time he kills, he's murdering actual terrorists in order to save himself from being further held and tortured, and eventually killed.

He pretty much goes from that to aliens and Hydra goons.

Axass

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The movie was good but not one of the best, it tries to juggle too much stuff at once.

Thanos was exceptional, high point of the whole thing.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
I was amazed at how well the Russos balanced humor and emotion. There isn't a single inappropriately placed joke in the movie. When the movie wants to deliver tension, emotion or sadness it does so with supreme effectiveness. The audience was really into the movie, most jokes got big laughs, other moments left the whole theater literally speechless. Thanos is incredible throughout the film, the CGI on him is jaw dropping with very few exceptions.

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
So if they can't do Dr Doom for the next story arc, who should they do?

Or will they hint towards Dr Doom but not show him until the rights are fully transferred?

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So if they can't do Dr Doom for the next story arc, who should they do?

Or will they hint towards Dr Doom but not show him until the rights are fully transferred?

I expect the next big thing wont be revealed until a few movies into phase 4, kike Thanos in Avengers 1.

I would guess they might be non committal for a bit while the FOX stuff gets sorted out since that opens up so many more options

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I can't imagine anyone even remotely invested in the MCU having a bad time with this movie. It's all payoff on the biggest scale. My friends and me all loved it to bits. And of course IMAX is so very worth it.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
In honour of our long strange trip, let's look back at the very first trailer for The Avengers, which is...surprisingly terrible and dated.

Feels like a trailer from the 90s.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
In the MCU are the Nine Realms just planets? Seems weird but apparently if you have a spaceship you can just fly to Asgard.

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Watching Winter Soldier and just noticed when Bucky says he knows Cap and Pierce says wipe him and start over the metal clamps holding him down has 2 on his normal arm and only 1 on the metal arm. I'd think it'd be the other way around as his metal arm is way stronger lol

Nov 30, 2017
Oh and I give the film credit for giving some weight to Strange killing a dude. It's all well and good for Cap or Thor to blow some fools away, they're trained soldiers and warriors, but even in Iron Man 1, Stark blasts guys with zero remorse despite only being a businessman civilian. Strange actually being disturbed that he'd killed a man and broken his oath as a doctor added a lot (while not bogging the whole film down). They also avoided that thing the Tomb Raider reboot (game not film) had where it tried to make it all this traumatic thing for her to kill a guy and she's all freaked out and five minutes later she's over it and moving down dozens of people. Strange goes out of his way to not kill anyone and wins through talking and trickery rather than fighting, it's refreshing.

Stark is already in that mindset. He is developing weapons that kill thousands of people but for the good of his view of society.

"I prefer a weapon you only have to fire once"

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not seeing it until 7pm Friday. Pray for me.

Right there with you.

I'm pretty much just signing off of all Internet starting tomorrow. God of War time.

It is weird though because we have seen many more different kinds of aliens than just 9 so there has to be more out there. Maybe it's just the ones Odin ruled over?
That's exactly what it is. In Ragnarok, Hela states that she wanted to keep conquering after Odin decided to stop at 9 worlds. That's what drove them apart in the first place.

Nov 30, 2017
In the MCU are the Nine Realms just planets? Seems weird but apparently if you have a spaceship you can just fly to Asgard.

To me it seems they are connected by interdimensional wormholes like the Devil's Anus.

The bifrost is able to create one at any point.

If Thor was able to travel to Earth in a Spaceship, you'd think he would have at the end of the first movie. Or done it in Avengers, instead of having Odin use dark magic.

Nov 30, 2017
It is weird though because we have seen many more different kinds of aliens than just 9 so there has to be more out there. Maybe it's just the ones Odin ruled over?

Why would the alignment of planets cause such huge gravitational anomalies every 5000 years?

Especially over a distance of 13 billion light years.

My theory is they are interdimensional multiverses that exist parallel to each other. The way Asguard is shaped defies the laws of physics of Midguard.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017
Your Imagination
Ok so since Kree told me to post in here;

Sooo, that was a heck of a ride - only one end credit sequence with a pretty vague (if you don't know the logo) reference to Captain Marvel.

I'm guessing BTTF2-esque/time-related shenanigans will be the fix to all of this - judging from Nick Fury's SuperPager and Peter's choice comment at the beginning of the movie about "From the future, I thought you knew that?" *proceeds to get hit by tree*

Adam Warlock is probably being left to GotG3 by the complete lack of him in this movie.

Also, the fight scene between Tony and Thanos seemed to have time-related hijinks going on too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.