• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Gonna be awesome to see both Wasp and Captain Marvel in Avengers 4. Hopefully together with Mantis, Gamora, Widow and Valkyrie.
A-force dammit.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
New images from Runaways
run4gsbg.jpg

Russo bros posts mysterious photo
russo4fu87.jpg

Sygma

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
is it cool to talk about netflix stuff here ?

It's great that the Marvel Cinematic Universe has now matured to the point where it has room for various tones, from the headtrip fantasy of Thor: Ragnarok to the edgier Netflix shows, but The Punisher may be too dark, too violent, and too fundamentally hopeless for many.

When will critics who obviously don't have a clue about what they re talking stop. Shit is getting old. Hope in Punisher is as appropriate as paris hilton in mensa

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
https://www.vox.com/culture/2017/11/13/16413024/marvel-punisher-review

there you go

No context needed otherwise, Punisher is about unrelenting, uncompromising judgment. Its basically there to make you feel uncomfortable with Frank who never give any escape

Uh, the writer thoroughly explains how he came to that conclusion. He even says it's his inability to distance himself from real-life events that prevents him from experience it the way it was intended. There's nothing wrong with that statement at all.

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
then he shouldn't write about it
Why? We live in a world that exists and their viewpoint is based on that world. Their viewpoint is as valid as any other. Just because it makes them reach a negative conclusion on a thing you haven't seen yet but you want to see doesn't mean their opinion is wrong.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm not even sure that's the right review. I can't find the passage in it and it is actually extremely positive.

LionPride

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean Frank Castle is a little bitch and The Punisher has almost always been a shitty character who is very blech and creating a tv show around him has always sounded...interesting

Sygma

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why? We live in a world that exists and their viewpoint is based on that world. Their viewpoint is as valid as any other. Just because it makes them reach a negative conclusion on a thing you haven't seen yet but you want to see doesn't mean their opinion is wrong.

Because there's a thing called psychological distance which is crucial when you're trying to do a fair assessment, and obviously this guy didn't have it

Thus, his conclusion that is completely out of context is only him projecting, instead of being on point. And that's not a review, it's a feeling

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Having just seen Wind River I can approve of this actor being the Punicher because he sure punished some people in that movie.

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
Because there's a thing called psychological distance which is crucial when you're trying to do a fair assessment, and obviously this guy didn't have it

Thus, his conclusion that is completely out of context is only him projecting, instead of being on point. And that's not a review, it's a feeling

His review is generally very positive, so I don't understand the defensiveness, but the idea that one should put aside the context in which a work of art is being released is a bit disingenuous. The whole balancing act with the Punisher is that he's not a character you should be unreservedly rooting for, ever. If this show doesn't hold up in the midst of America's ongoing gun violence situation, it's not a good show to begin with. Honestly I was expecting it to be critically savaged for this but instead it sounds like it manages to navigate it reasonably well.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

How can real-life gun violence doesn't relate to a series that thematizes gun-violence? Everything about your upbringing and your environment will affect your assessment on a piece of media and here the reviewer is being unusually upfront about his mindset. So I really don't see the issue here. If you want psychological distance in your reviews, you can read a factsheet.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
I know this place and the other place hated the Inhumans but are there people that are upset/disappointed how it all turned out. Mind you, I haven't watched a minute of the series because I knew it wouldn't do the Royal Family justice. When they were announced to be in Phase 3 I just kept imagining a moment like Black Bolt never speaking and if you did see him it was via flashback; and when he finally did speak near the end it would be a huge deal. After that I just thought of Bolt helping his fellow King in a BP sequel or something.

I know many buy into this Marvel is screwing the X-Men and pushing the Inhumans thingy but just severely disappointed in how it all went. The Royal Family could've been huge on the big screen, and if not on their own than being with someone else like Panther or Captain Marvel.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I was extremely bummed when they moved the Inhumans property to tv. It could have been epic on the big screen with a bigger budget. You only have to go to the Inhumans OT to see people's reactions.

It was horrible. That's the first time I've said that of any MCU production. I liked Iron Fist for what it was even though it wasn't nearly as close to the comic books that I love. But Inhumans is on a whole other level of fuckery.

Fork, I'm fuming just writing about that crap. I'm heading to bed. That said, I think the castings were fine bar Crystal. Karnak was great and I want to see him in more, Triton was wasted, Crystal actress couldn't act, Medusa commanded the screen for what it was, Gorgon was alright, and Anson Mount was great as the king of Attillan. Lockjaw looked fine for the little animations he got.

It was the writing, directing, sets, everything else that was wrong with this show.

Oh God, the writing...!

Last edited:

fallengorn

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I can't imagine people in this thread not being upset/disappointed in how Inhumans turned out. Nearly everything about the production is terrible and it didn't have to be. But for whatever reason, this got rushed out.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Inhumans didn't deserve this but Ike got his just desserts.

Gifted however is dropping viewers too.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I can't imagine people in this thread not being upset/disappointed in how Inhumans turned out. Nearly everything about the production is terrible and it didn't have to be. But for whatever reason, this got rushed out.

Like, Scott Buck already shat on one of my favourite superhero characters with Iron Fist.

He has nothing, nothing to threaten me with!
CHzY1nXWIAElNDL.jpg

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
Kevin Feige in 2016: Sure, Jeph, you can put the Inhumans on TV. I'm getting the X-Men in 2018 anyway. Don't tell anybody though.

And then Perlmutter was all like
giphy.gif

and gave Jeph $35 and a Home Depot gift card with which to produce the TV show.

Fairly certain that's how it went down.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
I also know Iron Fist is shit on a lot but I generally enjoyed it. Season 2 needs a lot more Iron Fisting and a lot less I am the Iron Fist talk. I haven't read a ton of Iron Fist so not sure if he used his abilities as a last resort but I just would've wanted to see him use it more during fights and also just kick ass. I love DD but no way should he be whooping Danny.

But yeah what they did with Inhumans was disappointed. Here I was getting excited to change my name to Black Bolt on another place I post thinking we'd get some cool Bolt scenes but whenever I type "Black Bolt" on YouTube it's something from animation or nothing great at all from the series. Talk about Thor, Iron Man and other heroes being nerfed but then you see Bolt and I can't help but
dcwMajk.png

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
I know this place and the other place hated the Inhumans but are there people that are upset/disappointed how it all turned out. Mind you, I haven't watched a minute of the series because I knew it wouldn't do the Royal Family justice. When they were announced to be in Phase 3 I just kept imagining a moment like Black Bolt never speaking and if you did see him it was via flashback; and when he finally did speak near the end it would be a huge deal. After that I just thought of Bolt helping his fellow King in a BP sequel or something.

I know many buy into this Marvel is screwing the X-Men and pushing the Inhumans thingy but just severely disappointed in how it all went. The Royal Family could've been huge on the big screen, and if not on their own than being with someone else like Panther or Captain Marvel.

I am bummed it played out as it did cuz I like
the comics but from the moment it was announced as being start to finish done in a year or less we knew it was likely going to be terrible so my expectations were so low that when it lived up I wasn't phased.

Haven't bothered to watch any of it other than the trailer.

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
What should the first arc be when they finally put Doom and the X-Men on screen? I'm thinking Doomwar should set it off in a Black Panther sequel. Once he's established, they can do Children's Crusade, which sets Wanda up for Avengers Disassembled, which runs parallel to Onslaught, followed by House of M. And then they tie it all together with AvX.

Then we get Secret Wars in 2023.

amusix

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
and gave Jeph $35 and a Home Depot gift card with which to produce the TV show.
Honestly, comments like this really aren't helpful, and have the potential of throwing off this thread. Hyperbole to this level really shouldn't be allowed here, even though we all understand that you were grossly overstating the budget.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
If Punisher is a bomba, Loeb needs to go.

This year has been one big failure after another.

Runaways might save his ass though.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What should the first arc be when they finally put Doom and the X-Men on screen? I'm thinking Doomwar should set it off in a Black Panther sequel. Once he's established, they can do Children's Crusade, which sets Wanda up for Avengers Disassembled, which runs parallel to Onslaught, followed by House of M. And then they tie it all together with AvX.

Then we get Secret Wars in 2023.

I'd introduce Doom and the F4 separately.

Doom I'd introduce in a Doctor Strange team-up that takes inspiration from Triumph and Torment. It'd introduce Doctor Doom as a problematic figure instead of a straight up villain and the focus on magic would be a fresh take on the character compared to his previous adaptations. For Strange it'd be his formal ascension to Sorcerer Supreme.

For the Fantastic 4 I really liked the time-displacement idea but instead I'd approach it from a completely different angle and use Spidey as an anchor for the audience. Stark Tower which was sold at the end of Homecoming wouldn't become Oscorp Tower but the Baxter Building. In my version, the F4 wouldn't be public figures (yet) but scientist/adventurers with secret abilities. The impetus of the story is that Johnny joins Peter's class, Peter becomes suspicious of him and follows him to Baxter Building where fisticuffs ensue and the F4 reveal themselves. Eventually they stop fighting and start talking. Peter has a hard time believing that they've been around for so long so they tell a story each about their secret exploits based on Hickman's Prime Elements. So you'd have four short stories, each of them told in a way that also serves to show the respective member's personality and their relationship to the others. Johnny's story would be obviously super embellished to make himself look super cool. Sue would focus mostly on the family aspect. Ben's story would be very sentimental. And Reed would just list the events in chronological order.

As for the X-Men, I don't wanna be the guy responsible for incorporating them into the MCU. I'd mostly push Xavier, Magneto, Wolverine and Mystique way into the background as supporting characters. Xavier as mentor figure for Scott, Magneto as source for family drama with Wanda and a resurrected Pietro, Wolverine as a buddy for Nightcrawler and Mystique... it's not time to bring back Mystique, not until we have collectively forgotten about JLaw. But yeah, basically focus on the tensions between an X-Men team led by Cyclops and the Hellfire Club led by Emma Frost.

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
I'd introduce Doom and the F4 separately.

Doom I'd introduce in a Doctor Strange team-up that takes inspiration from Triumph and Torment. It'd introduce Doctor Doom as a problematic figure instead of a straight up villain and the focus on magic would be a fresh take on the character compared to his previous adaptations. For Strange it'd be his formal ascension to Sorcerer Supreme.

For the Fantastic 4 I really liked the time-displacement idea but instead I'd approach it from a completely different angle and use Spidey as an anchor for the audience. Stark Tower which was sold at the end of Homecoming wouldn't become Oscorp Tower but the Baxter Building. In my version, the F4 wouldn't be public figures (yet) but scientist/adventurers with secret abilities. The impetus of the story is that Johnny joins Peter's class, Peter becomes suspicious of him and follows him to Baxter Building where fisticuffs ensue and the F4 reveal themselves. Eventually they stop fighting and start talking. Peter has a hard time believing that they've been around for so long so they tell a story each about their secret exploits based on Hickman's Prime Elements. So you'd have four short stories, each of them told in a way that also serves to show the respective member's personality and their relationship to the others. Johnny's story would be obviously super embellished to make himself look super cool. Sue would focus mostly on the family aspect. Ben's story would be very sentimental. And Reed would just list the events in chronological order.

As for the X-Men, I don't wanna be the guy responsible for incorporating them into the MCU. I'd mostly push Xavier, Magneto, Wolverine and Mystique way into the background as supporting characters. Xavier as mentor figure for Scott, Magneto as source for family drama with Wanda and a resurrected Pietro, Wolverine as a buddy for Nightcrawler and Mystique... it's not time to bring back Mystique, not until we have collectively forgotten about JLaw. But yeah, basically focus on the tensions between an X-Men team led by Cyclops and the Hellfire Club led by Emma Frost.

Great ideas for Doom and F4.

Having Doom be an inverse Loki, starting off in a protagonist costaring role with Strange and then build into a formidable multi-film antagonist would be perfect!

I wouldn't want us to only get 3 mcu movies a year if X-men films have to fit into that cycle, but are 4-5 films a year sustainable for one studio?

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not even the biggest Inhumans fan but man they got done a disservice with that show. Every plot line was ridiculous. Gorgon was defeated by a wave at the beach and surfers came to his aid.

"You must be one of those Inhumans I've heard about."

Status
Not open for further replies.