• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
new Deadline article, doesn't sound good, sky is falling, everyone panic, etc.

It is understandable that Marvel and Feige would want to keep things going with Watts: Feige has a strong track record of helping to change the career trajectory of filmmakers who wouldn't have been automatic choices for mega-budget superhero films, from Joe & Anthony Russo to Taika Waititi, James Gunn and Scott Derrickson. As for one-upsmanship, there are bruised feelings between those studios over the Rashomon-like press narratives that followed Deadline's scoop, over who did what in dismantling a brilliantly orchestrated introduction of a hit superhero franchise. It has gotten so bad that some wonder if it would even be possible for them to rethink things and come to terms on Spider-Man.

On those talks that Deadline revealed Tuesday: I continue to hear from reliable sources that the notion Feige was too busy to do more Spider-Man films just doesn't hold water; he loves the character and the way those movies served the fans and the Marvel Universe. I continue to hear that Disney asked for a 25% stake where it would finance that much of the movie and receive that much of the equity upside. This arrangement would only have been for any pictures that involved Marvel & Feige. It wasn't a forever deal, like the time one Sony made years ago to continue as distributor of James Bond. Back then, Sony cut MGM into a co-financing relationship on the pictures The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and 21 Jump Street, that gave MGM rights to co-finance future installments. The Spider-Man deal was only for pictures where Marvel lent Feige and the weight of its brand and cross pollination in Marvel movies. Still, it was a big ask of Sony, which had been getting a relative bargain at 5% of first dollar gross. That 25% offer sat for months, and finally Disney raised the ask to the 50% co-fi stake, likely knowing a divorce was coming.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
err... so now the story is Disney start at 25% and later up to 50% when they feel it's not going to work (why would they do that) instead of starting at 50% before dropping to 30 or 25%

the story keep changing every time an article is coming out

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
So the "insider" tweets are wrong?
Those people aren't insiders and even 'real' insiders have no credibility on any of this. Negotiations between Marvel and Sony lingering on for months, but how many Twitter insides ever had anything to say about it? Then the story breaks this week and suddenly a dozen different Twitter randos have the inside scoop on what's been going on in these meetings? The bullshit is so transparent.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Those people aren't insiders and even 'real' insiders have no credibility on any of this. Negotiations between Marvel and Sony lingering on for months, but how many Twitter insides ever had anything to say about it? Then the story breaks this week and suddenly a dozen different Twitter randos have the inside scoop on what's been going on in these meetings? The bullshit is so transparent.

yeah, figured as much. Too good to be true.

Not a single one of these "Sources" has any cred

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
err... so now the story is Disney start at 25% and later up to 50% when they feel it's not going to work (why would they do that) instead of starting at 50% before dropping to 30 or 25%

the story keep changing every time an article is coming out
It's almost as if no one has a clue except the people at Disney and Sony.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
First Spider-Man's out and now Ms. Marvel's solo series is delegated to the small screen. I thought this week was supposed to bring good news.

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
It's over, I'm really not getting a feeling they're gonna reach common ground

6TBnEnO.jpg

The opposite I'd assume, that the deal is dead dead dead
that's not what they seem to be teasing, not that it matters much either way

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Holy fuck yes, a Ms Marvel show! She will get a whole show, and appear in the movies. It's more than we could have dreamed of. And damn, ever since Richard Madden joined I've been secretly hoping for Kit Harrington to join since he's my favorite Stark on GoT and here he is! What a day for Marvel fans!

Last edited:

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I hope Ms. Marvel eventually gets a movie. For now, taking solace that it being Disney+ means she doesn't have to go through the shit the Netflix heroes and AoS had to

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
Hopefully it has some nice budget (I mean, it will of course). She's definitely making the jump to the films, so it's exciting that we're getting our first taste of a character through a show, say, 6 hours long.
I hope Ms. Marvel eventually gets a movie. For now, taking solace that it being Disney+ means she doesn't have to go through the shit the Netflix heroes and AoS had to
Pour one out for our boys Matt and Wilson.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Like assuming she does get a movie, this is the best of both worlds for me, TV allows for a character to get further fleshed out compared to a movie.

Pour one out for our boys Matt and Wilson.

Jessica too

would be funny in a cruel-joke sort of way if THR misreported it and this show is actually from Marvel Television, though Feige has said he wants to use the character so I doubt that's the case

Yea I remember that sort of

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Ya'll remember Monday when the world still made sense? We were so young, so foolish, so full of hope.

Shingi_70

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Again, i'm contesting you saying that Jumanji is a successful franchise when it has yet to have multiple successful films this decade. Everyone thought Secret Life of Pets was going to be a successful franchise until the sequel made less than half of what the original did. A single successful film does not make a franchise.
Yeah the deal isn't happening

Me. marvel has a creative lead and showrunner, things like that aren't done over night for a TV show especially for something as big as Disney+.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
The Marvel Studios shows are going to get a good budget and the care that the movies get. And Kamala will still get to appear on the big screen since she's in a Marvel Studios production. And we don't have to wait as long for her to make an apperance limited only to movies since she's a second gen hero to Carol. And she'll have plenty of time to develop her character. More than the two hour limit each movie has.

... Why are we saying this is bad news?

luca

Oct 25, 2017
... Why are we saying this is bad news?
Because people feel like she is "relegated." I was afraid this was gonna be the new norm as soon as they expanded to Disney+ shows.

It's so cool that we'll get at least six hours of her debuting in a show. It'll give us much more downtime seeing her daily routines and family practices expanded on. We can dwell on it so much more than a mere two hour film ending with a third act action scene. And then there'll be more time to celebrate when she crosses over to the movies too. Hopefully then she does get a solo film, and not only cameos, so that Muslim audiences gets to celebrate on a big scale like was seen with Black Panther and soon Shang-Chi.

I'm also quite indifferent to the whole Spidey deal. I never wanted him to lead the frontline of the MCU but I do want him to interact with the larger universe, although the Stark-connection could be a bit too much at times, I also feel like they were finally over that edge with the end of Far From Home. While I feel Sony have made better films with Raimi's two first Spidey flicks, and done better action and production with the ASM duo, it's still a bummer. I'm hopeful Sony and Disney will figure out a deal eventually so haven't spent my energy on this.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2017
Something is off with all of these reports.

So now they are saying that Disney offered 25% as their initial offer? And that was just for the movies they produced, not equity in the license/franchise? And then they went up to 50% because Sony wasn't accepting 25%, hummm what?

And to make things look even more off.....the other report was saying Rothman was willing to give up 25%.

So if Disney wanted 25% for just the films they produced and for the duration of the contract and if Rothman was willing to give up 25% presumably for the same.....then what's the issue?

Besides the fact they are not seeing eye to eye and are going their separate ways I am taking all these reports with a HUGE grain of salt.

Deleted member 4260

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

So now they are saying that Disney offered 25% as their initial offer? And that was just for the movies they produced, not equity in the license/franchise? And then they went up to 50% because Sony wasn't accepting 25%, hummm what?

And to make things look even more off.....the other report was saying Rothman was willing to give up 25%.

So if Disney wanted 25% for just the films they produced and for the duration of the contract and if Rothman was willing to give up 25% presumably for the same.....then what's the issue?

Besides the fact they are not seeing eye to eye and are going their separate ways I am taking all these reports with a HUGE grain of salt.
Maybe they wanted 25% of the spinoffs too and Sony wasn't willing to give that up? I don't know, this whole ordeal is pretty confusing.

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever
I wonder if the Variety report yesterday was Rothman signaling to Disney that he's willing to do the 25%. Although that point you think he'd just pick up the phone and call Disney.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

The Deadline article said Disney's offer stood for "half a year". That implies that Disney asked for the 25% deal way before Far From Home. Then the movie released and totally blew passed everyone's expectations, most likely changing Disney's attitude about the deal and feeling they were now entitled for more if this was the kind of numbers Spidey was gonna start pulling.

Which would be a pretty shrewd move if so. "Quality doesn't come cheap" and all that I guess. Sounds like Sony should've closed the deal earlier.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
Most of those stupid tweets were deleted. No one knows shit besides the vapid assholes in suits.

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
I can't get fully hyped for anything MCU right now with the Spider-Man cloud hanging over it, although I am very excited about Ms. Marvel Disney+
Call me an idiot but I still believe that they'll come to a deal, although it will take a while

BrokenFiction

Oct 25, 2017
ATL
Feige is spending blockbuster-level money shooting these series. With the right Director and DP, these will look as good as movies while getting room to breathe.

Status
Not open for further replies.