• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Slyonic

Oct 29, 2017
Man, looking the AM&TW deleted scenes, what the fuck happened to get these cut?

I liked the Buenos Aires one. It actually gave a reason for Ghost not to care about killing Janet. Now she's just like "I don't want to die, so I'll kill you and feel no remorse" instead of her not caring because they killed her father.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
I liked the Buenos Aires one. It actually gave a reason for Ghost not to care about killing Janet. Now she's just like "I don't want to die, so I'll kill you and feel no remorse" instead of her not caring because they killed her father.
It really fucks over Ghost's motivation, I know the Egghead stuff in the film was moved to England I think.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Oh, does it? I can't remember. Still would've been great to see Hank and Janet in action. You can definitely also see Janet having similarities to Hope, which is also nice.
I'm gonna rewatch the movie at some point, I do know the original plans had AIM with Egghead. It also really makes Sonny Burch pointless. I do remember Ava was in the plant in the explosion but there was no sign of Hank-Janet. They just say he tried to copy Hank's experiment.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Scott Derrickson is a fan of the potential choice of Sam Raimi as DS2's new director.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Ayyyyyy!!!!!

Screen_Shot_2020-02-06_at_3.22.16_PM.png

Slyonic

Oct 29, 2017

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
Some people were saying that the Ant-man/Wasp/Eggman scene should've been released as a one shot, and I kind of agree.

EdReedFan20

Oct 25, 2017
Would be neat (since Doctor Strange is set in NYC) if J.K. Simmons makes a cameo in the movie. It would be a nice little reunion.

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why people keep saying Derrickson left because his horror ideas were being shut-down by Feige.

The most likely reason as to why he left is because of the decision to fold "Loki" into DS2. Hell, I'd think this most recent news adds fuel to that fire.

Last edited:

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
They must really like Loki if they are tapping the same writer. I always felt like Derrickson's take on DS was the worst from all the times we've seen him so i'm actually happy about this.

Deleted member 5853

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The THR article doesn't specify what kind of rewrite, right?

Probably means it isn't a Page 1 rewrite, and is related to making sure "Loki" fits in to DS2. I guess that implies they're keeping the bulk of Cargill and Derrickson's script and retrofitting the Multiverse stuff from Loki into it somehow.

UnderSiege

Mar 5, 2019
The THR article doesn't specify what kind of rewrite, right?

Probably means it isn't a Page 1 rewrite, and is related to making sure "Loki" fits in to DS2. I guess that implies they're keeping the bulk of Cargill and Derrickson's script and retrofitting the Multiverse stuff from Loki into it somehow.
But Bartlett already wrote the script, after any work Cargill may have done. Do we even know if Cargill worked on this? I guess he may have, in the beginning. Also, Feige has said that Loki ties into Strange 2 for a while now, why would they only now do (even more?) rewrites to tie it in? I guess they're going to be more ambitious with the whole crossover thing than they initially thought. Plus, this might give the opportunity to Raimi work together with Waldron to make it his own just a little bit here and there, who knows.

Deleted member 5853

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But Bartlett already wrote the script, after any work Cargill may have done. Do we even know if Cargill worked on this? I guess he may have, in the beginning. Also, Feige has said that Loki ties into Strange 2 for a while now, why would they only now do (even more?) rewrites to tie it in? I guess they're going to be more ambitious with the whole crossover thing than they initially thought. Plus, this might give the opportunity to Raimi work together with Waldron to make it his own just a little bit here and there, who knows.
Oh, my bad. I didn't know who wrote the initial script, so I presumed it was Cargill and Derrickson. What I meant is that Marvel isn't doing a total page 1 rewrite and is probably using large swaths of the story that Derrickson planned on filming. Here's my crackpot theory:
  • We've known from the unveiling of Phase 4 that WandaVision leads into DS2. So, that tells us there was a plan for how the Disney+ shows would tie into the movies.
  • However, it was only in November that Feige announced that Loki would also lead into DS2. My theory is, this tie-in wasn't originally in the cards, so whatever story DS2 had was not built to accommodate Loki. We now know Loki involves the Time Variance Authority, which is probably where DS2 will tie in.
  • l think Derrickson probably wasn't as receptive to making sure Loki tied into DS2 and left due to creative disagreements. That's probably why the showrunner is re-writing the script for DS2.
In short, the script probably isn't being completely re-written, so it'll still have horror elements. It'll probably just add scenes to make the film connect with Loki. Raimi, if he gets confirmed as director, will probably want to add his own spin to things too.

Again, it's my dumb theory that has no basis in reality, so maybe it really is a complete jettison of the OG script.

UnderSiege

Mar 5, 2019
Again, it's my dumb theory that has no basis in reality, so maybe it really is a complete jettison of the OG script.
Oh, no, I certainly agree with you there. Plus, I don't think there's even a little chance it's a complete jettison of the OG script.

Why I continued to run with Cargill is because I believe he joined the tweet-fest when Derrickson was fired, when either Lord or Miller congratulated Derrickson for being in the fired-by-Disney club, and Cargill tweeted something to the effect that he was also part of that. Which makes me think he was originally going to write Strange 2, and might've even done a few passes on it, before realizing Marvel Studios wanted something different than him (the tweet above disproves the crossed-out part). His buddy Derrickson stayed with the film, thinking he could still do it, even though it wasn't going to be what him and Cargill had in mind... until at some point he decided it wasn't working after all.

All conjecture. Who knows.

Deleted member 5853

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
While I do think it is a shame that neither Cargill nor Derrickson were allowed to get really weird with DS2, I'm not mourning the loss of them either. "Doctor Strange" was alright, but I think the story could have been better and I wished the whole film had the stylishness of the "Magical Mystery Tour" scene.

I'm hoping that this new script is weirder and darker, and Raimi brings more style to the proceedings.

UnderSiege

Mar 5, 2019
Oh this might delayed then.
I doubt that though. You'd assume they'd want to release the movie when both WandaVision and Loki are still fresh in the minds of moviegoers. That's the whole hook now: multi-way interaction between the movies and shows. Strange 2 is when they'll show that off for the first time. If they delay, it would go from May to November at the earliest. I don't see that happening.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
Oh, my bad. I didn't know who wrote the initial script, so I presumed it was Cargill and Derrickson. What I meant is that Marvel isn't doing a total page 1 rewrite and is probably using large swaths of the story that Derrickson planned on filming. Here's my crackpot theory:
  • We've known from the unveiling of Phase 4 that WandaVision leads into DS2. So, that tells us there was a plan for how the Disney+ shows would tie into the movies.
  • However, it was only in November that Feige announced that Loki would also lead into DS2. My theory is, this tie-in wasn't originally in the cards, so whatever story DS2 had was not built to accommodate Loki. We now know Loki involves the Time Variance Authority, which is probably where DS2 will tie in.
  • l think Derrickson probably wasn't as receptive to making sure Loki tied into DS2 and left due to creative disagreements. That's probably why the showrunner is re-writing the script for DS2.
In short, the script probably isn't being completely re-written, so it'll still have horror elements. It'll probably just add scenes to make the film connect with Loki. Raimi, if he gets confirmed as director, will probably want to add his own spin to things too.

I think Loki was always going to tie into DS2. We knew it was always about Loki hopping through time and Marvel has only slowly confirmed what many speculated from the beginning: that 2012 Loki created a branch reality and we are following that Loki through events that would either tie directly into DS2 or would be thematically similar.

The only difference I see is that Derrickson had ideas for the sequel really early on with Nightmare as the villain and probably making it more horror. While he did communicate his future ideas with the Russos for Endgame, between what that movie did, the ideas that Far From Home played with, and the Fox deal going through, I think their scope for the movie grew with the potential of the multiverse.

Not only that, but this is likely the big Phase 4 crossover event movie that changes the status quo going forward so as the project grew, it became a lot less like the project Derrickson originally envisioned. The multiverse is such a broad concept, that involves multiple dimensions, universes, and realities, that it doesn't surprise me that maybe Derrickson wanted to focus on certain aspects while Marvel wanted to go further in another direction.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
I take the news about Waldron as Marvel really loving his approach to the multiverse. Given his resume as a writer on Rick and Morty, it's not too surprising.

I share the concern othera have about the timing, but after all the news so far, it doesn't strike me as course correcting from a film Marvel deemed "not good enough" for them, but more like they have had some exciting new ideas that have created a change in direction that Derrickson wasn't onboard for, but Marvel seems confident in who they are trying to get to carry the baton the rest of the way.

In otherwords, the film hasn't lost it's creative vision entirely, despite changing directors and writers. At least that is how I take it.

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I'm gonna laugh my ass of when Strange comes out and everyone is pissed when it doesn't reference the Raimi Spidey film's.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
So "The Source" rumored that Hawkguy is moving on from Haliee thanks to that Apple contract.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
So "The Source" rumored that Hawkguy is moving on from Haliee thanks to that Apple contract.
Yes, this is what I feel too. And they're not moving on from Hailee, they are just looking at other actresses in case they can't circumvent the no-compete clause. At some point they just have to move on with or without Hailee.

Status
Not open for further replies.