• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jodez99

Jan 1, 2018
Earth 616, aka the 'main' Earth of Marvel comics is just too damn OP. The heroes we know and love have thwarted countless foes that have threatened their planet. From aliens to time travelers to demons to celestial deities, Earth 616 has withstood it all. Whether it's Kang, the Kree, the Skrulls, Galactus, the Phoenix force, Celestials... it doesn't matter, Earth 616 has it covered. They have far too many victories against advanced races and cosmic beings for a "backwater planet".

Let's look at a few examples of their successes in the recent past:

During the Secret Invasion event, the remains of the Skrull empire decide to follow a prophesy which made them believe the Earth would be theirs. So they planned to take it by infiltrating the superhero community. They secretly replaced many heroes and villains with their own agents, took out Tony Stark (and the planet's defenses with him), brought an army of shape changing warriors, including an assortment of super Skrulls who had the powers of many heroes... and then they lost. Even their last resort secret weapon explosive wasp bomb was a failure. Despite meticulous planning, the element of surprise, an armada of ships and an army of super powered beings they still lost. Hell, even their Gods were killed.

skrulls-700x350.jpg

Or how about in everyone's favourite Jonathon Hickman books. In his run on the F4, the newly returned Supreme Intelligence of the Kree declared a war on Earth. He brought an armada of ships to finally get rid of those pesky Inhumans but nope, good old Johnny Storm came back from the dead too and brought with him an annihilation wave and Earth was saved once again. Further on, during the run up to Secret Wars, the incursions were wiping out realities left and right but of course the Illuminati and cabal of Earth 616 were successful and got their universe to survive right until the final two universes were left. Everything dies? Everything that isn't 616 maybe.

incursion_multiverse_from_new_avengers_vol_3_19_001.png

More recently we have the War of the Realms event. Malekith and his considerable forces from a number of different realms (including some heavy hitters like Laufey, Sindr, the Queen of the Angels, and the Enchantress) have conquered 9 out of 10 realms and just needed one more to complete the set. They were unstoppable and winning the "greatest war in history" every step of the way, but of course in the end Midgard was one realm too many and they too lost.

War-Of-The-Realms-4-1.jpg

Now obviously I don't expect the earth to ever really lose. Of course the heroes aren't gonna all be killed and humanity wiped out or enslaved or whatever. But it is getting a bit incredulous that this one specific planet keeps winning no matter the odds, epecially given that most of the time it's only a few dozen heroes and villains defeating these armies and cosmic entities on their own. Somebody should write a comic where Earth decides "you know what it's time we go and invade one of those planets/realms ourselves" and just go to town on showing the human race taking over the universe.

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
It really isn't a problem of Earth Prime being "overpowered" as it is with major Marvel events always needing UNIVERSE ALTERING STAKES. You need to threaten the very destruction of all of reality or it feels too small to be the 150 issue tie-in event of the summer.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They have a comic of all the intergalatic forces introduced through years meeting and going "what the fuck is going on with Earth..."

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They have a comic of all the intergalatic forces introduced through years meeting and going "what the fuck is going on with Earth..."
lol How's it called?

Edit: At this point, I would expect a global trial for Earth right to exist within the 616 universe, just like they did with Jean Grey :v
Let She-Hulk defend!

Gwenpoolshark

Jan 5, 2018
The Pool
It really isn't a problem of Earth Prime being "overpowered" as it is with major Marvel events always needing UNIVERSE ALTERING STAKES. You need to threaten the very destruction of all of reality or it feels too small to be the 150 issue tie-in event of the summer.

Yeah, if event comics weren't desperately needed to pump up summer sales, you'd have a much more coherent and realistic stakes Marvel universe.

Mr. Poolman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
A scene I love from the Drax mini-series that directly led to Annihilation, is that an alien prision ship crashes on Alaska, one of the aliens suggest taking over the planet, while other quickly cuts him off with "stop stop stop, do you know WHERE we are? have you heard of the Avengers? the Fantastic Four? heck, a Galactus herald lived here!, our best bet is to get out of here quickly and quietly".

Also, somewhere I read that to alien cultures, the Fantastic Four are to them, what the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse are to us; an almost mythical force capable of taking on ANYTHING.

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, do you really think this is exclusive to Marvel? Snyder's Justice League run has the heroes of Earth being the center of a conflict that doesn't just target the prime universe, but the entire omniverse. Every existing multiverse. And of all the heroes available, Batman was the hero that could put a stop to the threat and save everything, if he made one difficult decision. The guy without any powers.

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
Somebody should write a comic where Earth decides "you know what it's time we go and invade one of those planets/realms ourselves" and just go to town on showing the human race taking over the universe.
Problem with this is that it isn't very "hero" behaviour, so it won't happen

Yep. In fact, the moment we go check out some other multiverses, timelines or etc., we get to see just how lucky 616 is compared to how Earth gets ROFL stomped or "wins but at a price..." in so many others.
What-Ifs can get really wild. Pity there isn't much coming out these days

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
A scene I love from the Drax mini-series that directly led to Annihilation, is that an alien prision ship crashes on Alaska, one of the aliens suggest taking over the planet, while other quickly cuts him off with "stop stop stop, do you know WHERE we are? have you heard of the Avengers? the Fantastic Four? heck, a Galactus herald lived here!, our best bet is to get out of here quickly and quietly".

Also, somewhere I read that to alien cultures, the Fantastic Four are to them, what the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse are to us; an almost mythical force capable of taking on ANYTHING.
Remember Maxium Sercuiyt? When all the aliens in the universe decide to turn Earth into a intergalactic supermax prison? With Ego being the star prisoner?

JUL001338_1._SX360_QL80_TTD_.jpg

OP
OP
Jodez99

Jodez99

Jan 1, 2018
I mean, do you really think this is exclusive to Marvel? Snyder's Justice League run has the heroes of Earth being the center of a conflict that doesn't just target the prime universe, but the entire omniverse. Every existing multiverse. And of all the heroes available, Batman was the hero that could put a stop to the threat and save everything, if he made one difficult decision. The guy without any powers.
Of course it's not exclusive no but at least DC has had a couple Crises and reboots so it hasn't been the same exact Earth all the time.

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All I know about Earth 616 is that Good Boy is the coolest shit ever

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Of course it's not exclusive no but at least DC has had a couple Crises and reboots so it hasn't been the same exact Earth all the time.
It's always been the same Earth. From Crisis on Infinite Earths all the way up to Dark Nights:Metal, it's the same Earth. And now with Doomsday Clock, it's even more explicit that it's literally the same exact Earth.

DC's main Earth is so damn powerful it literally drags the rest of the multiverse in its wake.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Didnt 616 Avengers (not even all the heroes) recently take on a Celestial.....with no casualties (fuck StarBrand)

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
We can talk about old DC where Superman sneezed the galaxy away

Or new DC where Flash ran to the end of existence to defeat Death

Or Darkseid who not only remembers all of this but exists in another reality because if he left, reality would explode.

Marvel may be OP sometimes but it's nothing compared to DC

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
We can talk about old DC where Superman sneezed the galaxy away

Or new DC where Flash ran to the end of existence to defeat Death

Or Darkseid who not only remembers all of this but exists in another reality because if he left, reality would explode.

Marvel may be OP sometimes but it's nothing compared to DC
We can also talk about modern Marvel where Jean Grey rewound the entire universe because her ex was being a depressive little shit.

Or the time Thor absorbed the detonation of a bomb that was going to kill every single deity across space and time, past present, and future,.

Or the time Doctor Doom stole the power from beings more powerful than the most powerful being in the multiverse and then remade existence from the scraps that remained.

Marvel is just as OP as DC and they flex it just as often.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
We can also talk about modern Marvel where Jean Grey rewound the entire universe because her ex was being a depressive little shit.

Or the time Thor absorbed the detonation of a bomb that was going to kill every single deity across space and time, past present, and future,.

Or the time Doctor Doom stole the power from beings more powerful than the most powerful being in the multiverse and then remade existence from the scraps that remained.

Marvel is just as OP as DC and they flex it just as often.
I'm pretty sure Batman and Lex did those last two, and they're just dudes.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty sure Batman and Lex did those last two, and they're just dudes.
Lex hasn't stolen multiversal power quite yet, but Batman did recently pilot a Gundam that had the power to destroy the multiverse and replace it with a new one.

And all he did was give enough power to Superman so he could pull off the hypest shit in the universe this side of Gohan obliterating Cell.

Skip the context of the article, read nothing past the Superman parts. Shit was hype.

Branson

Oct 27, 2017
I wish it wasn't so daunting to get into this stuff. I've read a few series but connecting it all seems hard.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I wish it wasn't so daunting to get into this stuff. I've read a few series but connecting it all seems hard.
It's not. Start at the beginning of the most recent arc of whatever character you're interested in, and read forward. Anything from the past that you need to know will be covered in whatever arc you're reading. And if it's not, it's likely a previous arc by the same creative team. And that's not the case, a quick Wikipedia glance will give you all the info you need.

People make reading harder than it actually is, but it's really only hard if you think you need to know everything about everyone at all times. You really don't.

Christian

Oct 25, 2017

It's really not. A lot of people on here like to flex by showcasing some obscure lore, and just as many if not more people get a kick out of that kind of stuff, but if you just want to read cool stories, there are tons of great places to jump right in.