• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
Teased during NYCC, and revealed during the Thailand Game Show, MARVEL Future Fight introduces four new characters based on the Four Symbols:

Blue%20Dragon_TGS_Poster_SmallSize.jpg

The leader, Blue Dragon of the east, a Vietnamese noble with the power to convert anything into a "draconic" weapon.

War%20Tiger_TGS_Poster_SmallSize.jpg

A Thai general, War Tiger of the west has big scythe and knowledge of war.

Shadow%20Shell_TGS_Poster_SmallSize.jpg

Taiwanese Shadow Shell of the north has toxic immunity, a rifle, energy shields and a strategic mind.

Sun%20Bird_TGS_Poster_SmallSize.jpg

A Malaysian pirate reborn, Sun Bird of the south, has healing powers.

These characters join Crescent & Io (Korean child bound to bear spirit that fights Morgan Le Fay), Luna Snow (Korean Pop Star turned superhero) and Captain America, Sharon Rogers (Korean born American) as characters that originate from the game.

Of note, these characters are all from mostly unrepresented regions in East Asia, including Taiwan which is recognised as such.

Marvel PR:
"We are excited to introduce this original team, Warriors of the Sky, to MARVEL Future Fight fans and expand on the continually growing, wide variety of character choices in the game," said Danny Koo, senior producer for Marvel Games. "Warriors of the Sky is about teamwork. Netmarble is an amazing developer to collaborate with on these concepts and we are eager to see how they can bring these unique creations to life in the game."

"Everyone at Marvel loves collaborating with friends around the world to create characters which entertain, inspire and resonate with our global fans," said Bill Rosemann, vp of creative for Marvel Games. "Combining awesome powers, cool visuals and memorable backstories, the Warriors of the Sky join the Avengers, the X-Men and the Guardians of the Galaxy as Marvel's next major super team."

"Creating characters with different backgrounds and diverse stories and giving players a wide variety of Super Heroes to play as is always a joy, especially with how fans have taken to our past original creations with Marvel such as Luna Snow, and Crescent & Io," said Joe Lee, executive producer at Netmarble. "We also appreciate collaborating with Marvel on new concepts, especially with The Warriors of the Sky team, and we can't wait to show more in the future."

Appeal to Asia if old.

QuantumZebra

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Appeasing to China jokes aside - Asia as a whole has been severely underappreciated/represented in America cape flicks/comics - so at least there's this.

Baby steps.

Oct 24, 2019
Don't care about this game at all, but these are some cool designs. If they become popular enough, it would be cool to see them in the MCU

Deleted member 22002

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Before the "China" memes: I really love we see more asian representation in games. I love that western games are welcoming to the asian market. And i bet you do too.

Fuck Chinese government censorship. Fuck it hard, everywhere it happens. But let's not mix the fight for civil rights and artistic expression with the not so veiled racism and cultural isolationism that attacking every asian opening actually means: let's keep this out of the alt-right playbook.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
All of them are awesome designs. I really hope they take off and we see them in more Marvel products.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, they look cool.
I dropped the game almost a year ago. I liked it but it had become too much of a routine to check it every few hours a day.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Shit the last Vietnamse Superheroes I can think of are Karma and Silhouette and they are anicent

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
Future Fight OCs are some of the best new character Marvel has put out in the last few years don't @ me

Oh, and speaking of, queen just dropped a new banger

OP
OP
Zero-ELEC

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
There apparently is some controversy with the Vietnamese MFF comunity regarding the design of Blue Dragon, with claims of at leasst poor research, as she appears to wear a Qípaó (traditional Chinese dress) rather than an Áo Dài (traditional Vietnamese dress) and using a Guandao (Chinese pole-arm).

meph

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Before the "China" memes: I really love we see more asian representation in games. I love that western games are welcoming to the asian market. And i bet you do too.

Fuck Chinese government censorship. Fuck it hard, everywhere it happens. But let's not mix the fight for civil rights and artistic expression with the not so veiled racism and cultural isolationism that attacking every asian opening actually means: let's keep this out of the alt-right playbook.

None of these characters are Chinese. What does it have to do with Chinese censors?

If anything the Taiwan inclusion would just piss them off.

Crashman

Oct 27, 2017
Man, someone always has to end up being the turtle whenever there's a group based on the cardinal direction animals.

Their designs seem fine enough, but I can't help but feel like they're carry overs from a fantasy game setting of some sort rather than Marvel. Especially War Tiger there. But that's just a hot take from me based on those snippets.

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
Man, someone always has to end up being the turtle whenever there's a group based on the cardinal direction animals.

Their designs seem fine enough, but I can't help but feel like they're carry overs from a fantasy game setting of some sort rather than Marvel. Especially War Tiger there. But that's just a hot take from me based on those snippets.
the turtle is the best one, in my opinion.

Sedated

Apr 13, 2018
I expected them to be chinese considering the 4 beast mythos but im surprised here. Also taiwanese char has toxic immunity is kinda... Like a simile 👀

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Dope designs. I love anything based off the four cardinal beasts, really, but this is just good character design even putting that aside.

Too bad they are attached to this nothing game.

Maybe they could get a proper series or show up in an Ultimate Alliance game or something someday.

Toxic immunity because her adoptive family tried to poison her.

There's layers, here.
War Tiger is good at war and knows a lot about war.

OptiveLink

Oct 25, 2017
I love every design and style from this game. I wish I hadn't had to quit it due to the insane amount of whaling going on. I remember those Tier-2 days. :/
I want merch, shows, and other games with these assets and designs.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I'm always happy for representation, but those are some generic-ass designs. You could put "New Secret Worlds Characters" or "New Shadowrun Characters" or whatever over those, and it'd be the same. They don't scream "Superhero" to me at all.

They got shafted on powers, too. Toxic immunity? Knowing a lot about war? Unless they're fighting a poison guy who only has a general understanding of war, they're hosed.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Are these characaters joining the 'Agents of Atlas' /

They also added Sword Master and Aero, and in a previous verison they added Wave.

I wonder when they will add agent woo?

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
True or False, there once was a marvel villain that kidnapped random asian people and gave them stereotype superpowers based on where they were from?

OP
OP
Zero-ELEC

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Turtle and Tiger look awesome. I want the Future Fight devs to get their hands on Anya Corazon and Dust and give them some cool new designs, since Marvel themselves don't know how to do it properly.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty good designs!
Are they made entirely by the MFF team? Or were they designed by people working on the comics specifically for the game?

J-Tier

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Southern California
Pleasantly surprised by the representation of Asians. Had a different thing in mind before clicking on this thread. Would love to see them in the comics.

Deleted member 4552

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There apparently is some controversy with the Vietnamese MFF comunity regarding the design of Blue Dragon, with claims of at leasst poor research, as she appears to wear a Qípaó (traditional Chinese dress) rather than an Áo Dài (traditional Vietnamese dress) and using a Guandao (Chinese pole-arm).

Lol of Course they are giant letter ASIANS, the details don't matter, like when Irish and Scottish culture is treated as identical, or much worse Irish and British!

Even the title of this thread does It.

Only Taiwan is in East Asia my friend, Thailand, Vietnam and Malaysia are in Southeast Asia

OP
OP
Zero-ELEC

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
Pacific Overlords

Worse thing was he turned a Japanese woman into a Hawaiian goddess
Christ.
Lol of Course they are giant letter ASIANS, the details don't matter, like when Irish and Scottish culture is treated as identical, or much worse Irish and British!

Even the title of this thread does It.

Only Taiwan is in East Asia my friend, Thailand, Vietnam and Malaysia are in Southeast Asia
To be fair the creative team behind these characters (and the game) is South Korean. Not that that excuses any such generalisations or casual racism. As for the topic title, I am aware that Thailand, Vietnam and Malaysia are Southeast Asian but was working under the impression that East Asia included these regions under a wider classification. I'll rectify this, now.