• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
This entire nontroversy should have been torpedoed on day one in the first trailer by showing the Eternals showing up 10 minutes after Thanos arrived to find have the planet disintegrating - and that's what makes them re-think their stance. Over and done, you're welcome.

Oct 8, 2019
It's kind of funny watching people struggle to accept or wrap their heads around the Eternals.

The portal scene should have just been an hour of Thor reciting the names of every Marvel character and how they're totally offscreen.just on the off chance that Marvel may use them.

Thor: Oh Wow well over a million mutants just showed up, and here comes the Stranger, and Galactus, followed by the Silver Surfer Fantastic Four. Now the sky is filling up with fleets from the Shiar, Kree, Skrull, Badoon, Kymellians, and Snarks races.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
This entire nontroversy should have been torpedoed on day one in the first trailer by showing the Eternals showing up 10 minutes after Thanos arrived to find have the planet disintegrating - and that's what makes them re-think their stance. Over and done, you're welcome.

Wait, what?

Where did people get that the Eternals are questioning their stance? At least in the trailers I saw it seems like they are acting against the Deviants and whatever this event is is tied to the Deviants which is why they are acting now. Not that they are going to reveal themselves and take an active role battling bad guys for humanity now.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
I don't get why this is so hard for people.

See this motherfucker? This is the giant fuck-you god telling them not to do shit. You wanna go fuck with the giant fuck-you god? Yeah I fucking thought not.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
Lmao. For real though, they could have been victims of the snap, no?
but see they couldn't be because if they were affected that's actually a pretty good reason to do something about Thanos. If he was affecting their jobs to stop the Infernals/Cosmicals/whatever the fuck them monsters are

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
These Eternals are on Earth, right? Let's recap Thanos' appearances on Earth, in the MCU:

1. In Avengers 1, Thanos does not go to Earth. An army of his, under Loki's command, does, however. That battle takes, what, an hour?
2. In Infinity War, Thanos' children come to Earth for 20 minutes to pick up Dr. Strange.
3. Also in Infinity War, Thanos comes to Earth for 5 minutes, to collect the Mind Stone and do The Snap.
4. In Endgame, Thanos is killed a couple weeks after The Snap.
5. In Endgame, past Thanos comes to Earth for...an hour? And is Snapped out of existence.

At what point were the Eternals supposed to jump in and help? These events are over before anyone is even aware they're happening.
Thank you! Even if they were going to get involved the conflicts are over before they can make any meaningful contributions.

People spend waaaay too much time trying to "beat" movies.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
The trailer says they were ordered to do nothing regarding Thanos. That says it all. They were forced to do nothing. No excuse about things going to quick or ignoring what is happening as they've simply followed orders. The Celestials (their bosseS) are supposed to be omniscient too.

Does it? I can't watch now - at work - but the one I saw didn't specify Thanos. As I understand it - and has been mentioned many times in this thread already - they were not told not to mess with Thanos, specifically. Their mandate is simply their specific enemy (the Deviants) and Thanos doesn't qualify. But, the scope of his threat - after the fact - has them reconsidering.

In other words, they didn't decide at the time "nope, doesn't qualify". I think they probably weren't aware in real time. Maybe we'll find out in the film. My take from the preview I saw was that, after the fact, they obviously couldn't possibly not be aware, being that half the people disintegrated. Then they get together and talk about it, apparently. Again, we'll see.

SeeingeyeDug

Oct 28, 2017
You'd think out of a sense of self preservation they wouldn't roll the dice on them randomly evaporating from the snap.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
Thank you! Even if they were going to get involved the conflicts are over before they can make any meaningful contributions.

People spend waaaay too much time trying to "beat" movies.

It's not hard to "beat" a comic book movie. They're inherently absurd, with all kinds of impossibilities, moral conundrums that get glossed over, etc. And they can be hard to even keep internally consistent given time constraints.

But this one is so simple to explain. But, although I think my little recap should kill this complaint in the cradle, you can see from this thread that it doesn't.

As you say, when people think they have a chance to dunk on a movie, they don't want to hear otherwise.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
So the threat in this movie is serious enough for the Eternals to get involved? Cool.

Why aren't the Avengers in this movie then?
Who even are "the Avengers" anymore? Cap's gone, Tony's gone, Widow's dead, Carol and Thor are out in space. Strange was never really part of the crew. The campus was turned into a smoking crater. They're not getting bankrolled by anyone anymore.

There is no centralized team anymore.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Does anybody else think it's kinda weird how they mostly keep promoting this movie using a super boring looking scene of the Eternals standing and fighting in an empty desert?

I would think that when you promote your new cool alien superheroes you would use more exciting setpieces than "look at them do battle in a desert somewhere".

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
It's not hard to "beat" a comic book movie. They're inherently absurd, with all kinds of impossibilities, moral conundrums that get glossed over, etc. And they can be hard to even keep internally consistent given time constraints.

But this one is so simple to explain. But, although I think my little recap should kill this complaint in the cradle, you can see from this thread that it doesn't.

As you say, when people think they have a chance to dunk on a movie, they don't want to hear otherwise.
Oh I know. It's one of the reasons I thanked you. It's usually me making the exact same post as you just did and watching no one even semi consider it.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
These Eternals are on Earth, right? Let's recap Thanos' appearances on Earth, in the MCU:

1. In Avengers 1, Thanos does not go to Earth. An army of his, under Loki's command, does, however. That battle takes, what, an hour?
2. In Infinity War, Thanos' children come to Earth for 20 minutes to pick up Dr. Strange.
3. Also in Infinity War, Thanos comes to Earth for 5 minutes, to collect the Mind Stone and do The Snap.
4. In Endgame, Thanos is killed a couple weeks after The Snap.
5. In Endgame, past Thanos comes to Earth for...an hour? And is Snapped out of existence.

At what point were the Eternals supposed to jump in and help? These events are over before anyone is even aware they're happening.
You had people complaining all the way back to the dark world about "why didn't everyone come to help Thor" even though that fight on earth took place over a 5/10 minute window.

People just don't t think about the logistics of what they are questioning.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Rather they just go "Because we are making this shit up as we go along".

Im genuinely asking here... Are they? Or is this stuff from literally decades old comics.

Because I know some of it is. I see people say the "their just making this up as they go" stuff, but a lot of this I thought was literally outlined from old comic books with twists and subtle changes here and there. Hardly being done off the cuff. Maybe thats not the case here though, I dunno.

Scrooge McDuck

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder why that line would be in the trailer that explains the central conflict of the film
At this point, it just feels like seeing people asking "why didn't Spider-Man stop that robber who eventually killed Uncle Ben" over and over.

"'With great power comes great responsibility?' Not responsible enough to protect his uncle I guess."

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Does anybody else think it's kinda weird how they mostly keep promoting this movie using a super boring looking scene of the Eternals standing and fighting in an empty desert?

I would think that when you promote your new cool alien superheroes you would use more exciting setpieces than "look at them do battle in a desert somewhere".

The movie's over 2 and a half hours long, there's probably a shit-ton they're keeping hidden until at least closer to premiere. Same thing happened to Shang-Chi.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Im genuinely asking here... Are they? Or is this stuff from literally decades old comics.

Because I know some of it is. I see people say the "their just making this up as they go" stuff, but a lot of this I thought was literally outlined from old comic books with twists and subtle changes here and there. Hardly being done off the cuff. Maybe thats not the case here though, I dunno.

All stories were made up as they were going at some point :D

But this is essentially what the Eternals were created for in the comics. They are part of an experiment. The Celestials are beyond caring about the value of life or wasted time. If they aren't obeyed they will simply obliterate everything and start over in another part of the universe. There's nothing to reason with if the Eternals pointed at Thanos and were like "look at what this mofo is doing let us stop him"

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Marvel is a rarity among major studios in that they always save the biggest reveals for the movie itself. It just feels weird because everyone else blows their load in the trailers.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
I wonder why that line would be in the trailer that explains the central conflict of the film

Yeah, it's pretty clear to me. lol

Seeing as there have been four trailers so far, and ALL of them have that line in them, as well as Cersi's "We've loved them since the day we arrived," it's clear that the core of this movie is going to be a pretty simple "Love vs. Duty" story.

Also, and just spitballing here but...

They're clearly setting up the Celestials as the next Big Bad, along with Kang. I mean, considering their place in the Marvel universe, you don't just show those assholes for no reason.

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
I don't get why this is so hard for people.

See this motherfucker? This is the giant fuck-you god telling them not to do shit. You wanna go fuck with the giant fuck-you god? Yeah I fucking thought not.
What?

The majority of people have no fucking clue who or what that is. The fact that they haven't set this up well enough for the average movie gower to understand why they didn't get involved isn't their fault.

Akainu

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Everywhere and nowhere
The alternative is the obliteration of the human race so really what would you do if what you love is being held hostage by the whims of an uncaring ancient space god?
Spoilers guy.
What?

The majority of people have no fucking clue who or what that is. The fact that they haven't set this up well enough for the average movie gower to understand why they didn't get involved isn't their fault.
Wait are you implying that everyone isn't a comic book nerd.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Yeah, it's pretty clear to me. lol

Seeing as there have been four trailers so far, and ALL of them have that line in them, as well as Cersi's "We've loved them since the day we arrived," that the core of this movie is going to be a pretty simple "Love vs. Duty" story.

Also, and just spitballing here but...

They're clearly setting up the Celestials as the next Big Bad, along with Kang. I mean, considering their place in the Marvel universe, you don't just show those assholes for no reason.

Well with the way Marvel operates in building up to stories, there are two big reasons why they're introducing them properly now

They're a major threat in many Fantastic Four stories and they literally created the X-Gene

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
What?

You're right. They really oughta make a movie explaining who this guy is if they want audiences to care.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
You had people complaining all the way back to the dark world about "why didn't everyone come to help Thor" even though that fight on earth took place over a 5/10 minute window.

People just don't t think about the logistics of what they are questioning.

Wow, I never heard those ones. The first ones I remember hearing were "where was Iron Man when Shield/Hydra was launching those helicarriers in Winter Soldier?". Which is honestly a much better question than the one in this thread, and yet still has plausible answers.

You know what I think? I think Disney Plus is ready for a new series, bringing back Stan Lee's once noble tradition, the No-Prize.

To anyone not familiar, the No-Prize was a letters page "contest" where readers could point out a mistake in a previous comic, but then explain or rationalize it so that's it's not actually a mistake. For which Stan would award them a No-Prize. I loved it. It was fun, it made the readers connect with the creators as well as the characters, and it let the fans do the work of shutting up the critics. Stan sure was a clever guy.

It could make a hilarious set of shorts. I'd love to see it in video form.

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
You're right. They really oughta make a movie explaining who this guy is if they want audiences to care.
That isn't what I was saying at all. If you honestly expect people to see that one image and be completely on board as to why they sat out you're crazy. And getting mad at people for not understanding is double crazy.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
That isn't what I was saying at all. If you honestly expect people to see that one image and be completely on board as to why they sat out you're crazy. And getting mad at people for not understanding is double crazy.
What's crazy is expecting to know everything a movie goes into detail about and the justifications given and portraying it as some sort of failure when the film isn't even out yet.

Scrooge McDuck

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I know almost nothing about the Eternals and after that trailer I was like "oh so some big scary being forced them to not interfere for reasons that'd probably be explained the the movie."

I feel like if people were still "it's not convincing though!" without having even actually watched the movie, it's completely on them.

hordak

Oct 31, 2017
Anaheim, CA
they'll either see the movie to get the explanation, or read a recap somewhere online later.

People are mad because other people keep asking why the Eternals didn't stop Thanos when the answer is 1) celestials told them not to and 2) it'sgoing to be in the movie that's not out yet. just maybe.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
What?

I honestly don't think the average movie goer who likes MCU films is going to care much, because the cinematic language and cues expressed in the trailers are pretty clear. It's usually people who are fans and experts of the lore that have a tendency to get so caught up in wanting all of that information explicitly stated that they miss pretty clear cues.

Let's take the second trailer for example. Jon Snow asks Cersi why they didn't get involved in fighting Thanos or any of the other tragic events in human history. Cersi tells him because they were ordered not to get involved in human conflict unless Deviants were involved. Jon Snow replies, "By who?"

Cut to Cersi shot from above (a camera angle traditionally used to imply helplessness) with a growing fearful expression on her face.

Cut to shot of a giant red demonic-looking robot thing, shot from below (a camera angle traditionally used to convey dominance) as a Nolan BRRRRRRRRRR!!!!! horn sounds.

Now, you don't have to know a single thing about the Eternals or the Celestials, or the specifics of their relationship to each other, to understand what the trailer is telling you here. Whatever that big red robot thing is, it clearly runs shit. Cersi, an immortal, is clearly afraid of it. And that thing told the Eternals to sit their asses down unless Deviants are involved. Done. I know nothing about the Eternals and I got it immediately.

This is a pretty clear way to convey a relationship to an audience without giving away the goods. It's how trailers should be, imo.

JayCB64

Oct 25, 2017
Wales
That isn't what I was saying at all. If you honestly expect people to see that one image and be completely on board as to why they sat out you're crazy.
actually I think maybe the two and a half hour movie which will clearly go into more detail about these characters moral codes and histories will probably be the thing to get people on board, but maybe I'm the crazy one

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Jon Snow asks Cersi why they didn't get involved in fighting Thanos or any of the other tragic events in human history. Cersi tells him because they were ordered not to get involved in human conflict unless Deviants were involved. Jon Snow replies, "By who?"

Cut to Cersi shot from above (a camera angle traditionally used to imply helplessness) with a growing fearful expression on her face.

Cut to shot of a giant red demonic-looking robot thing, shot from below (a camera angle traditionally used to convey dominance) as a Nolan BRRRRRRRRRR!!!!! horn sounds.

Stop, this is nonsense. How could you discern that just based on some words and sequential images?

You actually just spoiled the whole movie

This is a pretty clear way to convey a relationship to an audience without giving away the goods. It's how trailers should be, imo.

But really, its interesting how people's expectations for trailers have changed with the way other studios try to tell you the entire story in the trailers because they don't trust their product enough to lure audiences in with just enough to build the mystery. These Eternals trailers make pretty clear references to what the conflict is but they don't outright state it. And we are seeing folks almost demanding to be spoiled more lol

Last edited:

Violater

Nov 19, 2017
This looks bad, like a movie version of the Inhumans Series bad.....
What are the chances they all get wiped out in the movie and I never have to see a cross over with these characters?

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This looks bad, like a movie version of the Inhumans Series bad.....
What are the chances they all get wiped out in the movie and I never have to see a cross over with these characters?

I mean they can destroy all the Deviants and then their hands are tied from ever doing anything.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
I can't get excited for this movie. Introducing so many new faces in one movie feels like a mistake. Watch half of them get next to no real screen time. Solo movies then a team up is the way to go. Which I understand wasn't possible for them.