• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

hodayathink

Oct 25, 2017
kCkYhsH.png

Developer: Demiurge
Publisher: D3Go

Download links:

Also available on PS3,PS4, Xbox360, and Xbox One, though those versions are not connected to the Steam/iOS/Android versions, and are very rarely updated.

So what is Marvel Puzzle Quest?

Marvel Puzzle Quest (aka MPQ) is a match 3 game in the mold of Puzzle Quest featuring licensed Marvel characters. A basic description of the gameplay from Wikipedia:

Players assemble a team of three Marvel superheroes or supervillains from various storylines, controlling the team against a team of up to three other superheroes or supervillains in match-three, turn-based battles. Each color-coded match does damage to the player's opponent, while creating action points which can obtain special skills. Gems disappear and are replenished from above as they are matched. When they are matched, the six colors of gems on the board grant energy that can be used to execute special moves. Players trade hits back and forth until one of them is downed. When all enemies are downed the fight is over revealing a reward for the winner: one of the in-game currencies, special boosts or a new character. This character can be added to your roster. If it's a duplicate, it becomes a level-up token. Players earn points by winning battles, and then apply the points to unlock new attacks and level up. The board is highly tactical, with up to half a dozen potential considerations beyond the best match at any given point.

There are two main modes: story and multiplayer, where you can fight against other teams controlled by the game's artificial intelligence. The game is free, with opportunities to purchase level-ups or new characters. New characters, a bundle of Iso-8, hero coins and other items can also be obtained by replaying old levels. As a player's roster expands, the possibilities for team composition and skill selection also expand.

A player collects in-game comic book covers to unlock new characters and improve existing ones. Each character has a set of real comic book covers associated with them, which represent the character's abilities and allow the player to improve the character's abilities or level them up.

For gameplay tips and alliance requests, don't be afraid to ask.

Resources:

Official MPQ Forums

MPQ Gamepedium (for roster showing/sharing and a list of future Deadpool Daily Quest matchups)
MPQ Wikia (For character listings and power descriptions)

Social Media:

Youtube
Facebook
Twitter
Instagram

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I almost have a fully covered 5* Spider-Man. Just wanted to brag a little.

OP
OP
hodayathink

hodayathink

Oct 25, 2017
So, in news we missed because of The Great Migration, the 5* required character in PvE will now be offered in the Heroes for Hire Store:

Hi Everyone,

As many of you might have noticed, we have recently started incorporating 5-Star Essential characters in many of the recent Story Events. Following this change, we would like to try something new with the Heroes for Hire store, in order to provide additional opportunities for players to acquire these essential 5-Stars.

Starting with the Meet Rocket & Groot event, a cover of the Essential 5-Star will be available in the Heroes for Hire store (along with all the other normal offers in there.) Instead of opening token after token, trying to find that one specific cover, you'll now be able to acquire it for a flat CP amount.

In addition, please note that this is a trial run, and not a finalized feature, so this could be discontinued in the future.

Here are the details:
  • 5-Star from Essential mission in the current Story Mission
  • Available during the entire duration of the event being run
  • A single cover is available
    • Starts with the first cover from the top, and cycles through them from top to bottom
  • Cover can be acquired with Command Points
    • 500 CP for Latest 5-Star
    • 250 CP for Classic 5-Star
  • Includes 50,000 Iso-8
  • Visible to players at S.H.I.E.L.D. Rank 32 or higher

250CP for a classic 5* cover is honestly not a bad deal. 500CP for a latest is kinda eh, though.

OP
OP
hodayathink

hodayathink

Oct 25, 2017
And in news from today, 5* Thor announced:

Josh Austin: Thor's first ability is called God of Thunder and it costs 12 Green AP. For this power, Thor charges his attacks with lightning for an explosive attack that deals—get this—at level 450 and power level 5, 13,126 damage to all enemies! This power has a Passive that at the beginning of each turn and if Thor is below a certain amount of health, he destroys basic tiles.

His second ability is called Asgardian Tactics and costs nine Red AP. Thor slashes with his twin swords at the enemy's defenses dealing serious damage to a target and ignores all Protect tiles. Thor deals additional damage for each friendly Special tile up on the board to 10.

Thor's third ability is called Smoldering Fire which costs nine Yellow AP. Thor leaps into the fray to protect his team which creates a Repeater tile that generates Yellow Protect tiles each turn. This power then becomes Raging Fire. Raging Fire costs 12 Yellow. Thor strikes out with fury and removes his Repeater tile to deal damage to a target. This power has a Passive component that when Thor's Repeater tile no longer exists, all friendly Protect tiles convert to Strike tiles and this power becomes Smoldering Fire again.

And in a new twist, his tokens are being introduced in PvP and not PvE, with what are basically 6 days worth of 20 person Lightning Rounds. The whole thing is complicated enough that I'm not copy/pasting it, I'm just gonna link to the boards.

Oct 27, 2017
Those Sakaar Arena tokens don't seem worth putting in much effort for. They're just Heroic tokens with a 1:533 (seriously!) chance of dropping a 5 star, with a 1:3 chance of one of those 5's to be Thor.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Even with that, these are still lightning rounds, so I'll play to get in early and farm ISO.
actually this seems like hitting them. it seems like it auto puts you into a bracket, and with a single match I got a first place finish last round, and am in first with ease this round as well. I will see how this goes but it may be a nice way to get a lot of heroics as people quickly quit trying.

OP
OP
hodayathink

hodayathink

Oct 25, 2017
actually this seems like hitting them. it seems like it auto puts you into a bracket, and with a single match I got a first place finish last round, and am in first with ease this round as well. I will see how this goes but it may be a nice way to get a lot of heroics as people quickly quit trying.

Actually, looking at it now, it looks like you end up in a bracket with the same 20 people each time (or at least, I have been with the same 20 people in the last 2 rounds). So this might end up being stupidly easy. Except that Dalek is in my bracket.

BigSoftueFF

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm starting to get into rostering 4* covers and need some advice. I can roster a few of the following, who do guys/gals suggest?

Yondu
Cyclops
Night crawler
Nick Fury
Mordo
Kate Bishop
Nova

OP
OP
hodayathink

hodayathink

Oct 25, 2017
In order of who I'd roster:

Cyke
Mordo
Kate
Nightcrawler
Yondo
Nova
Fury

In order of usefulness:

Cyke
Mordo
Kate
Nova
Yondo
Nightcrawler
Fury

Scruffy

Oct 28, 2017
So I'm starting to get into rostering 4* covers and need some advice. I can roster a few of the following, who do guys/gals suggest?

Yondu
Cyclops
Night crawler
Nick Fury
Mordo
Kate Bishop
Nova

Definitely Cyclops, then Nova and Kate Bishop. Nick Fury recently got a buff but I'm not sure how much improved he is now.

Dispatch

Oct 25, 2017
So, I just noticed that the old alliance is dead, but the new Alliance is full, which sucks. I was a member for years, so please let me know if someone drops out.

Dispatch

Oct 25, 2017
I know it was six days ago, but I didn't see the message in-game. Were spots reserved for people who were already in the old alliance?

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I know it was six days ago, but I didn't see the message in-game. Were spots reserved for people who were already in the old alliance?
They were temp reserved, but given I posted a ton of messages in alliance chat as well as on neogaf I only kept them open for around 24 hours after the move before letting other people take them. (figuring the members that didn't make the move would notice they only got like 300 iso for the alliance and look into why)

I don't have the time right now, but I will talk with the players that were added to see if any of them are willing to step down to let you back in.

I mean I don't have an easy solution at this point. I would love to just let you back in, but at the same time I don't want to just boot someone with little notice, plus... I uh... don't remember what order the new players joined >.<: So I need to figure that out as well >.<:

Dispatch

Oct 25, 2017
That's exactly what happened to me. I play every day, but on auto-pilot, so I only noticed I was getting 300 iso this morning.

Just let me know if someone drops out. I don't want someone to have to leave, but I'm also bummed I'm not part of the alliance anymore as alliance events were the best part of the game, at least for me.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty sure I was the last person to join up, so you can have my slot. I have one Vulture cover on the vine with 7 days left, and need 36,000 ISO to champ him. I'll drop out once I get enough ISO or when the cover expires.

Oct 27, 2017
I am. And I just hit Shield level 78 and got all the ISO I need. So I can go ahead and give you your slot now.

If y'all ever need me to fill in for an alliance event let me know.

Dispatch

Oct 25, 2017
Doctor Robofinger, thank you. I really, really appreciate it. I'll be sure and check the alliance chat more diligently now.

Dispatch

Oct 25, 2017
Yikes, I just ran into a Spider-Gwen, Gambit, whatever, combo, and that was no fun at all. I got a couple moves off, and then Gambit's passive made Gwen unbeatable. Soon, I was perma-stunned, and then beat down. It was worse than Gamora, Rocket, and Medusa. I had no chance.

Scruffy

Oct 28, 2017
Yikes, I just ran into a Spider-Gwen, Gambit, whatever, combo, and that was no fun at all. I got a couple moves off, and then Gambit's passive made Gwen unbeatable. Soon, I was perma-stunned, and then beat down. It was worse than Gamora, Rocket, and Medusa. I had no chance.

I don't know if I should feel bad because I am using that team now. Gwen, Thing and Gambit make an annoying team and I love the mindlessness of it.

Dispatch

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if I should feel bad because I am using that team now. Gwen, Thing and Gambit make an annoying team and I love the mindlessness of it.
No, don't feel bad about it. I've used Winfinite, and even the old school 1-Star Storm, 2-Star Thor, 2-Star Widow from years ago. If it's in the game, then it's fair game.

Birdito

Oct 30, 2017
I'll be MIA for a few days, it's vacation time. So I'll be back on Tuesday, you guys do what you need to (if that means dropping me for that time).

OP
OP
hodayathink

hodayathink

Oct 25, 2017
In pure theory, a 0/1/0 Level 70 Gamora could do it with her insta-kill power, it'd just require a hell of a lot of luck.

MiTYH

Oct 25, 2017
New UI is... interesting. Health bars take some getting used to, but being able to disable the animations, wow does it speed things up. I took blade+IF into the DDQ and it's definitely significantly faster

Oct 27, 2017
Apocalypse Alliance event is up! Just a quick reminder to everyone that you can just outright kill Apocalypse with nukes in the early rounds without worrying about the Horseman tiles.

Scruffy

Oct 28, 2017
After tons of debate, I recently champed 4 of my 5 stars and I don't think it's too bad actually. PvE is now easy mode since Gambit decimates most everything. PvP on the other hand is a sea of champed Gambits so that's no good. I usually skip until I see a team with no champed Gambits and hope for the best. The only negative is that I'm mostly using the 5 stars but when they tear through nodes so fast, I can't complain too much.

Now that I'm looking forward to the 5 star game, I'm only opening latest tokens so of course I get 2 green Thors when I'm already at 5/1/1. Off to ask their customer service for two cover swaps.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
anyone around that wants to join an alliance (or know someone)? one of our members is missing way to many log ins and needs to be replaced.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
I put in over 600 hours on this and stopped at the addition of totally awesome Hulk a few years back. Its an amazingly addictive game. It hurts knowing I got such a boss as hell Iron Fist still just sitting there and they added a lot more stuff since then. The bracketing was killing me then though as owning one single even card that was super leveled would rebracket you into hell.

If I could get some crossplay to put it on my phone I'd go back in. Has PC to phone account crossplay been put in yet?

spatenfloot

Oct 27, 2017
Reddit is probably your best bet. This thread hasn't been very active since the move. What are you guys called again? RE-vengers? You don't have to have a name..

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I can join! Don't have the best roster levels but I play every morning.
apply to
xEOYErZ.jpg

our alliance requirements are simple.
Try to long in every day. if you are going to be gone for an extended period of time let us know before hand or it is likely you will get the boot after a few days of inactivity. Each person who logs in gets the alliance 100 iso, thus why we have the requirement as everyone is eventually iso starved lol.
Try to play the alliance events.

and uh.. that is really it. One of the other members is on the chopping block for missing to much recently, so if there is another person who wants in just let us know. The next time that member misses a day this month they are gone (they have missed like 12-13 days this month so it's not just high standards :P)

spatenfloot

Oct 27, 2017
I put in over 600 hours on this and stopped at the addition of totally awesome Hulk a few years back. Its an amazingly addictive game. It hurts knowing I got such a boss as hell Iron Fist still just sitting there and they added a lot more stuff since then. The bracketing was killing me then though as owning one single even card that was super leveled would rebracket you into hell.

If I could get some crossplay to put it on my phone I'd go back in. Has PC to phone account crossplay been put in yet?
Nope, they are unlikely to ever allow the same account on Steam and mobile.
For pve, roster level no longer affects enemy strength though.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Nope, they are unlikely to ever allow the same account on Steam and mobile.
For pve, roster level no longer affects enemy strength though.
Thats a shame. I aint starting over and if I could've kept it around for break at work I'd have kept playing all this time.

lbs.

Oct 30, 2017
Agreed! Exploding tech is trash! I've been using Nightcrawler and Elektra to avoid damage (plus they're boosted.)

btw, been lurking in this thread since the old place, shame you guys don't use it much anymore. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯