• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
Was Eternals green-lighted before they knew they were getting the X-Men back?

Feels like this is the way to do X-Men-style team without mutants.

My theory is that this is tied into how they explain the X-men. In the comics they were created by the Celestials. It's all set up for the next Phases, along with experimenting how much crazy they can put on the screen.

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
Any time I see Barry Keoghan I am reminded of Colin Farrels speech about his father in Killing of a Sacred Deer

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
ACADEMY AWARD® winner Angelina Jolie coming to save this film from the falling in line with the usual Mahvel mediocrity. Bless <3

916.jpg

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
Hope they mention Apocalypse in this

Apocalypse isn't an Eternal (he's a mutant External who was subject to Celestial meddling, so similar, but he's not an Eternal) so I can't imagine that they will touch him in this film.

I don't expect them to touch any of the Eternals that haven't been announced so far at all tbh. Certainly not any of the ones who not earth based, given they will not want to touch Starfox with a ten foot pole.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I like the fact that this anodyne synopsis has already inspired anger based on imaginings of alt-right takes

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
Why does earth have its own special race of immortal beings and its own special ancient enemy? Are all of the other planets in the universe dealing with all this shit too?

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
Why does earth have its own special race of immortal beings and its own special ancient enemy? Are all of the other planets in the universe dealing with all this shit too?

In the comics there are other worlds/races with Eternals too. The Celestials get around. I don't expect they will be mentioned here though.

Although due to Marvel not really having editors in the 90s there are like forty slightly different but very similar ancient secret races on Earth with their own special ancient enemies in the comics (see The Externals etc).

BraXzy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious about this, as someone who isn't familiar with any Marvel comics and only knows the franchise through the MCU and cartoons of old. How are the power scales going to work going forward? If there are immortal all-powerful beings in the mix, the likes of Spider-Man with his webs in NYC or Captain America and his bulletproof shield is a lot more 'small town'. Does that affect the rest of the roster?

I'm guessing power creep and all that is also an issue in the comics but they are, and can be, much more isolated from one another.

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
I'm curious about this, as someone who isn't familiar with any Marvel comics and only knows the franchise through the MCU and cartoons of old. How are the power scales going to work going forward? If there are immortal all-powerful beings in the mix, the likes of Spider-Man with his webs in NYC or Captain America and his bulletproof shield is a lot more 'small town'. Does that affect the rest of the roster?

I'm guessing power creep and all that is also an issue in the comics but they are and can be much more isolated from one another.

TBH most of the Eternals aren't that powerful other than being very hard to kill. They're basically just Asguardians with laser eyes for the most part.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
For those of you who know nothing about them, I suggest checking out the 2006 Eternals series. It's written by Neil Gaiman and only seven issues:

b40081fcb9769f82e012a320d54156f0.jpg

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
Did you not read the plot synopsis in the OP?

A technologically advance secret civilization thriving without the rest of the world knowing?
The synopsis makes no mention of their technology or hints that they were living in an isolated society together, like Wakanda. In fact it hints at the opposite saying an event causes them to reunite. I imagine they are scattered across the globe living their lives as regular humans, hiding in plain site, until the bat signal goes up and they all meet up.

Deleted member 2625

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They tend not to fuck with humans beings and focus on their own personal goals(Orgies, being the fastest being alive, hunting space dragons, moping). Turns out being immortal causes you to get in your own head and feelings often and lasting decades

you know

i like many others were thinking, boy they really better write themselves a good reasoning for where the fuck these Eternals have been all this time

but I don't think you could do better than "they are kind of aloof and don't give a fuck". hey it worked for the Greeks

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
I imagine it will be the same reason that was used in Neil Gaiman's Eternals run.

That they had been physically assaulted and none of them knew they weren't regular humans at the time

It's a quick, easy and elegant explanation.

So uh if the leaks are to be believed then

that is exactly what they're doing

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Remember Eternal and Deviant are more classfications than racial names. In comics Eternals and Devients are still human offset. Like there Eternal and Deviant Kree, Skrulls,

Maybe not in the comics, jury's out on the MCU lol
Feige doesn't stray that far from the super obscure stuff.
So they weren't affected by the snap?
no they would have been, they are powerful not all power, except Kronos, he is a special case.
you know

i like many others were thinking, boy they really better write themselves a good reasoning for where the fuck these Eternals have been all this time

but I don't think you could do better than "they are kind of aloof and don't give a fuck". hey it worked for the Greeks
It is always a weak question. Cause common sense would answer it

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
As much as I'm looking forward to it, I'm kind of sick of some of the laziness on display lately. The whole idea that they sat around during Endgame but the Deviants showing up is enough to wake them up just doesnt sit well for me. It's the same issue I had with Captain Marvel in Endgame where apparently the universe has bigger issues than the fact half of it just got erased.

They could have taken Endgame as an opportunity to introduce these characters ahead of time and not have to ass pull a reason they sat around and did nothing.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
... if you already know who they are, I guess?
The universe is suppose to be a living breathing thing, folks have lives and things come up. They could have been unaware of thanos until he attacked earth and then debated the course of action. That is another thing about eternals they love debate and taking the long view. Which is what usually bite them in the ass. Being immortal they tend to adopt a "and this to shall pass" way of life. Except for a few odd balls like Pixie, The Interloper, and the Forgotten one

Last edited:

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I just don't want it in line with the end of Black Panther..

I agree. Afaik there was a huge overlap with Avengers Infinity War at the time, both in post-production time and the VFX companies that worked on it. I don't think we know for sure but I wouldn't be surprised that BP suffered from that. I don't think that will be an issue this time around.

A Black Panther only happens if they decide to change the end fight way to close to the release date

Is that what happened? Do you have a source for it? Would be interested in reading about it.