• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm curious about this, as someone who isn't familiar with any Marvel comics and only knows the franchise through the MCU and cartoons of old. How are the power scales going to work going forward? If there are immortal all-powerful beings in the mix, the likes of Spider-Man with his webs in NYC or Captain America and his bulletproof shield is a lot more 'small town'. Does that affect the rest of the roster?

I'm guessing power creep and all that is also an issue in the comics but they are, and can be, much more isolated from one another.
MCU has been nerfing nearly all the heroes, so I expect their big shtick is just being immortal with nerfed version of their powers.

T'Chakku

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Hopefully the movie doesnt follow the lame 'Eternals are a genetically perfect good guy race while deviants are genetically flawed bad guys' lore as the comics.

Feige saying Deviants are very different from how they're known in comics makes me think they wont.

HammerOfThor

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if this will go into the backstory of Thanos a little bit(or if he will show up in future movies explaining who exactly he was), he is a Deviant after all, right?

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Hopefully the movie doesnt follow the lame 'Eternals are a genetically perfect good guy race while deviants are genetically flawed bad guys' lore as the comics.

Feige saying Deviants are very different from how they're known in comics makes me think they wont.

Feige is usually pretty good at avoiding the comic book Gary Stu syndrome

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if this will go into the backstory of Thanos a little bit(or if he will show up in future movies explaining who exactly he was), he is a Deviant after all, right?

They might just skip that headache entirely. The Infinity Saga is over and I doubt they intend to retread any of it. There's a reason the Infinity Stones were destroyed, after all.

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
They might just skip that headache entirely. The Infinity Saga is over and I doubt they intend to retread any of it. There's a reason the Infinity Stones were destroyed, after all.

I don't think they can do the Eternals without have Thanos show up. But I doubt they'd do it in the first movie. I kind of feel like you have to show the destruction of Titan in one of them, and Thanos was around when that happened.

Adam Sadler

Nov 9, 2017
I don't know much about The Eternals but i always figured this movie would take place on a different planet, not earth. Interesting

Phamit

Oct 26, 2017
Is that what happened? Do you have a source for it? Would be interested in reading about it.

I can't find the article about it anymore, but it was also mentioned in the Corridor Crew's VFX artists react video about Marvel https://youtu.be/HWnRuPZ1Exg?t=177
Who's to say it won't.
They are still filming now, reshoots will happen

Almost every Marvel or other big movies are having reshoots, most don't end up with scenes looking like the ones in Black Panther. But yeah, of course, it is not impossible.

Probably not, as he is not really related to the other Deviants. It sounds like something they could address in a sequel if they want to tell about the other Eternals from Titan or Uranus.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
The fact that we are getting the UNI-MIND in 4K is still amazing to me
This man gets it
Someone say leather jackets?
latest
Clean face Herc always bothers me, mostly because i always forget it is him

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
Are the Eternals effectively "sleeper agents" that believe they are normal human-beings until something "wakes them up"?

OP
OP
King Kingo

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
This trailer that eventually comes out better sell me on this because nothing I read so far sounds interesting at all.

This sounds like it's going to be lame, but I'm ready to be convinced otherwise.

Directed by Chloé Zhao, who helmed the critically acclaimed Sundance film "The Rider."

The director and her team were able to get people who never acted in their lives to give a memorable performance.
We are going to be in for a treat and I cannot wait to see everybody's hype once that trailer drops.

Feige doesn't stray that far from the super obscure stuff.

The super obscure is the reason why we got James Gunn for Guardians of the Galaxy. The more blank state a Marvel property is, the better it's going to be in my eyes. They have less material to work with and more leeway to reimagine characters without backlash from comics loyalists.

Was Eternals green-lighted before they knew they were getting the X-Men back?

Feels like this is the way to do X-Men-style team without mutants.

Nah, I think this was Feige's contingency plan to do the Inhumans without using the Inhumans because fuck Ike Perlmutter that's why.

I know nothing about the Eternals so please ... tell me more

Well, have I got the comic for you...

For those of you who know nothing about them, I suggest checking out the 2006 Eternals series. It's written by Neil Gaiman and only seven issues:

b40081fcb9769f82e012a320d54156f0.jpg

I have a preference for Charles Kauf's series solely because John Romita Jr. art for the Neil Gaiman series is hideous.

s-l640.jpg

The synopsis makes no mention of their technology or hints that they were living in an isolated society together, like Wakanda. In fact, it hints at the opposite saying an event causes them to reunite. I imagine they are scattered across the globe living their lives as regular humans, hiding in plain site, until the bat signal goes up and they all meet up.

The CXCP events that showed the first footage of Eternals confirmed this. Kingo's a Bollywood actor doing a dance number.

I like the fact that this anodyne synopsis has already inspired anger based on imaginings of alt-right takes

Oh, they already started ever since the cast was announced at D23. Their takes are even stupider this time around because they believe the genderbending of Ajak, Makkari and Sprite is pandering to a "specific" crowd. Come on, the Eternals had a reboot in the 1980s and mid-2000s yet the Eternals faded into obscurity. The Alt-Right have no bargaining power over this movie.

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
Directed by Chloé Zhao, who helmed the critically acclaimed Sundance film "The Rider."

The director and her team were able to get people who never acted in their lives to give a memorable performance.
We are going to be in for a treat and I cannot wait to see everybody's hype once that trailer drops.

I just hope for a few moments, a few scenes, as intimate and this, and then I'll be satisfied.

Pump up the spectacle for the rest, but let us take a breather, people talking to each other, looking each other in the eyes, for a few minutes

OP
OP
King Kingo

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
EOz7le6XkAEE_rg.jpg:large

Eternals is being filmed in Camden, London this week. Chloe Zhao is really going all out with shooting on location.