• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.newsarama.com/45166-marvel-to-cancel-relaunch-entire-x-men-line.html

Writer Jonathan Hickman, who takes over the X-Men franchise with July's House of X #1 and Powers of X #1, says that the "entire line" of X-Men comic books will be canceled to coincide with the launch of the two biweekly titles.

"I didn't feel like just doing a new number one was enough. I also didn't think that if we were serious about what we were trying to do we should have a mixed message in the market about what an X-book is," Hickman explained of the decision to ComicBook. "So I argued for cancelling the entire line: Why it would work, why it was a good idea, and most importantly, why it was what we needed to do narratively to return the X-Men to their rightful prominent position in the Marvel Universe."

"We needed to sell the idea that this is what we're going to be doing for the next few years. So if you want to read X-Men books during the run from late-July through September, House of X and Powers of X are the only new X-books available and everything that's going to follow is based on them," he continued. "We wanted to be clear to the fans, to the stores, and just as importantly, to the creators who are going to be staffing these books in the future. We wanted the message to be very clear: This is a whole new era for the X-Men. This is what we're doing now. And so, POX and HOX is how we're starting. It's a solid plan, I think."

House of X and Powers of X (to be read "Powers of Ten," like the Roman numeral) will run for 6 issues each over three months, with each title publishing on an alternating weekly schedule.

Following that, Hickman says Marvel plans to relaunch the X-Men line, with some "traditional" titles, and some new ideas - including a new core flagship X-title which Hickman will write. What's more, it's all part of a multi-year, multi-wave plan to revamp the X-Men. More information will be unveiled at Comic-Con International: San Diego in July.

"At the conclusion of our 12 weeks of HOX and POX, we'll be launching an entire new universe of X-books," Hickman revealed. "Some will be traditional fare, some carry through on ideas presented in HOX and POX. Some books are completely new concepts. I, personally, will be writing the ongoing flagship X-book."

"Now, we're already in production on all of these 'Wave 1' books and our plan at this moment is to introduce the titles, creative teams, and publishing details around SDCC, which is a week before HOX #1 goes on sale. We also just finished our plans for our 'Wave 2' books that will debut in 2020 and we're getting ready to hire talent for those.

THANK GOD!!! Hickman isn't just doing the two mini-series, he's sticking around to write the ongoing series.

MTU1Nzg1MjQ1NQ==

Edit: thanks to ZattMurdock

Last edited:

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
It seems like they cancel and re-launch the x-men on a biyearly basis at this point
Now that they own fox (and the movie rights to X-men), I hope that this is the last time- we get "normal" books like Uncanny X-men back, and they let them run for a few years before they decide they need to re-launch everything again

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017
I never doubted that he was staying on. I can't believe I'm excited for X-men books in 2019.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
God Emperor Hickman to destroy the entire X-Men comic lineup and reforge it as a single lineup he controls.

I'm down.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like they're sort of setting up the inspiration for the MCU X-Men to eventually pull from. Might be reading too much in to that though since it's not like a timeline reboot.

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck. Yes.

Needed to happen. Some of the side books were good, as was Red for awhile but things brcame a cluster anf the entire brand was suffering for so long with only sporadically good X material.

A relaunch, and with HICKMAN to boot, is needed, and a dream come true.

DeathyBoy

Oct 29, 2017
Under my Hela Hela
If you haven't read Hickman Avengers or Hickman FF, you are out of your element in this thread. This is not "insert writer here." Hickman is a beast of a writer, and if he's in charge of this then there's going to be an amazing long term plan for the X-Men.

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
So was the Uncanny X-Men relaunch last year just a stopgap, or did the Hickman relaunch only come together fairly recently?

Looking forward, but there have definitely been too many relaunches over the past few years.

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
goddamn it, how many times can this happen?

What does this mean for Mr. and Mrs. X? I think that's still on going

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like they're sort of setting up the inspiration for the MCU X-Men to eventually pull from. Might be reading too much in to that though since it's not like a timeline reboot.
I don't think it's crazy to think they might play around with concepts that could lend themselves to introducing the mutant gene to the MCU

TRUE ORDER

Oct 30, 2017
Yep, the X-Men books have been relaunched already the last couple of years.

I really hope that this new move gives the X-Men franchise what it needs to be more relevant like they used to be. Now that Disney owns Fox they won't need to use the Inhumans as a replacement or something simillar.

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, the X-Men books have been relaunched already the last couple of years.

I really hope that this new move gives the X-Men franchise what it needs to be more relevant like they used to be. Now that Disney owns Fox they won't need to use the Inhumans as a replacement or something simillar.

Not like they needed a replacement in the first place

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
If you haven't read Hickman Avengers or Hickman FF, you are out of your element in this thread. This is not "insert writer here." Hickman is a beast of a writer, and if he's in charge of this then there's going to be an amazing long term plan for the X-Men.

Yep. Hickman having control of the entire X-Universe is... an incredible proposition. We are in for years of high quality, interconnected X-Stories.

Keep rebooting. Eventually you'll get it right.

Who better to do this than Hickman?

Advc

Nov 3, 2017
Since when Marvel got so messy with it's actual comic books? Totally the opposite with it's movies right now.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
I assume sales were not as good as hoped.
It's certainly not new for comic companies to relaunch. If they can also make a big deal out of it, that's just more needed attention.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Only X-Comic we're even losing worth mention is Mr. and Mrs. X. The rest can go without issue. Glad I stopped reading or now. A good break is important before the cool stuff happens.

DeathyBoy

Oct 29, 2017
Under my Hela Hela
If you're sleeping on Hickman, bear in mind he co created The Black Order.

Without Hickman, there is no Ebony Maw as Thanos's hype man. Dude helped make such awesome henchmen for Thanos that Marvel retroactively always had them as Thanos's henchmen.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
Hickman's last big Marvel thing was a hell of a ride. This sounds like a damn good jumping-on point for X-Men comics.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like the idea that Hickman would only come back if he was promoted to God King of the x-men franchise

Mr. Poolman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
If you're sleeping on Hickman, bear in mind he co created The Black Order.

Without Hickman, there is no Ebony Maw as Thanos's hype man. Dude helped make such awesome henchmen for Thanos that Marvel retroactively always had them as Thanos's henchmen.
At first, Marvel complained to him that his Avengers books were not like the movies... by the last movies, they tried to inject some of his stuff on the movies.

May 9, 2019
The one time Nate Grey comes back and its with a forgettable event and launch. Ugh this sucks for him. Well Hickman is a really good writer from the things I read so I'm down. I just want a lineup with Jean, Storm, Wolverine and Cyclops. It's been too long.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Good, X-men been rudderless since No More Mutants

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
so is this like an MCU style reboot? American comic books are on record a diminished industry because of so many reboots and disconnected stories. If they can somehow fix that and just make it one continuous story like manga and the DCAU/MCU style of writing, that would probably bring up a huge amount of interest