• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
After everything he's done with Avengers & Secret Wars, I'll read anything that Hickman does.
Since you mentioned that; The Black Monday Murders is Hickman's current Image project. It's not about supers but it is about a supernatural mystery invovling a unique magic system based in finance & economics. Sounds strange on the surface but I highly recommend it to anyone who's a fan of Hickman and is willing to read something outside of his superhero output. P.S. And just in my personal opinion, I like it alot better than Hickman's East of West.

Hickman, you magnificent bastard!
"I'LL READ YOUR BOOK!"
ElegantHappyAustraliancurlew-max-1mb.gif

So is Hickman the 'Feige' of Marvel X-Men Books? Like I know he has his titles, but does he have guidance on how the other books should look?
I'm not too in touch with Marvel Comics corporate side but I believe he's just one among the companies stable of writers rather than a chief or executive editor. He has sway to decide his own projects but isn't going around assigning his fellow writers to projects.

Last edited:

Haloid1177

Oct 25, 2017
So basically we're in for the best run of X-Men since Morrison/Whedon (not counting Remender since that's X-Force). Hell yeah. Guess I don't mind finishing Uncanny now since it doesn't have much left.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
So the XMen Disassembled relaunch to Age of XMan have literally just wasted time just for Hickman, jezzus this is stupid. Rosenburg's Uncanny series will be wiped away anyways so lol.

It speaks volumes that since Hickman was confirmed to be on X Men, sales of the current X books DROPPED.

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
So is Hickman the 'Feige' of Marvel X-Men Books? Like I know he has his titles, but does he have guidance on how the other books should look?

I mean, Hickman is definitely... distinct. His style of writing isn't traditional for comics at all. His writing is very thick, heavy, cryptic and everything is an incredible long game with insane deep hook details. I don't know if he could really set a tone for other writers to follow beyond character status quo kind of stuff, because nobody else really writes like Hickman.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
so is this like an MCU style reboot? American comic books are on record a diminished industry because of so many reboots and disconnected stories. If they can somehow fix that and just make it one continuous story like manga and the DCAU/MCU style of writing, that would probably bring up a huge amount of interest
More like a tonal shift than a reboot. Imagine your favorite TV show going through two seasons of trash then firing the entire production staff and hiring a new one that revitalizes the show.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Good. I just hope Jackman gets a cameo in every X-Men film ala Stan Lee in the Marvel movies. Dude deserves it.

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
They have the rights for media back so they promote and support again

This isn't really what's going on. Marvel's current Editor-in-Chief is the same guy that brought Hickman aboard all those years ago, when he first started with Secret Warriors. They have good history, and as soon as Cebulski took over for Alonso, there were rumors that Hickman would come back. And when they finally announced Hickman's X books, Hickman himself said he'd been back with Marvel for more than a year and they'd been planning it that entire time.

Deleted member 47942

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 20, 2018
I mean, Hickman is definitely... distinct. His style of writing isn't traditional for comics at all. His writing is very thick, heavy, cryptic and everything is an incredible long game with insane deep hook details. I don't know if he could really set a tone for other writers to follow beyond character status quo kind of stuff, because nobody else really writes like Hickman.
The best comparison would be Ellis if he had Grant Morrison's excitement and planned for more than four issues on a book.

Barrel_Roll

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Would it be too much to hope that the number of monthly ongoing X-titles will be held down to something manageable this time? I'll definitely be picking up Hickman's books, but I would like to follow the whole line so long as it consists of five titles or less.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Based on the interview it looks that way.
thats how it was with F4 -> Avengers -> Secret Wars

Thanks guys, this is pretty interesting and my interest will grow as X-Men get intergrated into the future of MCU

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
To give some counter-context to the drive by shitposts about Marvel relaunching the X-Men line AGAIN, this is much more akin to something like Grant Morrison's run in the early 2000s on New X-Men. He was given the keys and was allowed to run that part of the line basically by choice.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Since you mentioned that; The Black Monday Murders is Hickman's current Image project. It's not about supers but it is about a supernatural mystery invovling a unique magic system based in finance & economics. Sounds strange on the surface but I highly recommend it to anyone who's a fan of Hickman and is willing to read something outside of his superhero output. P.S. And just in my personal opinion, I like it alot better than Hickman's East of West.
I will check it out. Thanks!

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This is the kind of shot in the arm the X-line has needed for years.

I am here for this.

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
I use to read comics I just cant keep up with how many overall books there are I don't have time anymore. But how does this work in the main overall universe. Do the other characters in the mavel universe just forget everything that happened before?

Oct 25, 2017
It's so hard to read comics in any sort of chronological order these days with all the constant rebranding and title relaunches. I miss the days of comics just following a straight numbering system.

Deleted member 47942

Banned
Sep 20, 2018
I use to read comics I just cant keep up with how many overall books there are I don't have time anymore. But how does this work in the main overall universe. Do the other characters in the mavel universe just forget everything that happened before?
You're thinking of a reboot where everything starts over with the previous stories (mostly) wiped clean.

A relaunch is more of a jumping on point for a new direction for a franchise. Previous stories still count. Think along the lines of a new season of a television show.

It's so hard to read comics in any sort of chronological order these days with all the constant rebranding and title relaunches. I miss the days of comics just following a straight numbering system.
Marvel is particularly bad at this. They will constantly do new #1s for series - Thor had his fourth #1 since 2012 last year. They also will try (and fail due to misnumbering) to revert to legacy numbering for big numbers like #500 or something of the sort.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
Break the wheel!

X-books do get cancelled a lot (they're also mediocre a lot, funny how that works), but this sounds closer to Marvel giving Hickman an imprint. They're doing everything but that, really. His two minis, his ongoing, multiple waves of series; this is far more deliberate of a re-launch than the team has had in many years, maybe even ever.

Sounds like they're sort of setting up the inspiration for the MCU X-Men to eventually pull from.
I tend to doubt it. Whenever they get around to doing X-Men in the MCU they'll most likely be drawing on the early history of the property (Claremont et al.), since they'll be introducing the characters. There are so many classic X-Men stories that it's not like they'd need to specifically use the comics as an IP farm, compared to some other revamps of obscure/new characters.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Kinda funny this happened after Disney secured the film rights for good.

Makes ya think 🤔

Deleted member 47942

Banned
Sep 20, 2018
Did it fall through or just get put off for a time? I was under the impression it might still be on the table though I guess if Hickman is doing this then it would be quite a while.
It was originally speculated that it fell through because LOSH is off the table until Geoff Johns wraps up Doomsday Clock and the delays led to Hickman going back to Marvel.

However: Hickman said he had been working with Marvel for over a year on this so those delays that allegedly harmed the chances of Hickman writing LOSH are basically a moot point. It's probably a question of when rather than if.

which leaves 2 years to produce a movie - right on time
I think the farthest the MCU would go in adapting a Hickman X-men run would be using a few original characters like they did with The Black Order. His interviews make it sound like he's drastically going to overhaul the franchise.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I love Hickman so I'm in. I just hope someone who hasn't been following X-Men at all will be able to read this. My X-knowledge is limited to Dark Phoenix, New, Astonishing and Uncanny X-Force