• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
I tend to doubt it. Whenever they get around to doing X-Men in the MCU they'll most likely be drawing on the early history of the property (Claremont et al.), since they'll be introducing the characters. There are so many classic X-Men stories that it's not like they'd need to specifically use the comics as an IP farm, compared to some other revamps of obscure/new characters.
I tend to agree though their MO with Spider-Man is to basically avoid all the stuff mined before. At least for now. Though I do think it will be a teenage team, I wouldn't be surprised if they go a little left field otherwise.

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
Hmm I'm interested but I only have marvel unlimited.

The way it works is we have to wait 6 months for them to release on there right?

New to comic books

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
Kinda funny this happened after Disney secured the film rights for good.

Makes ya think 🤔
Not...really?

A writer with a ton of buzz is taking over a historically uneven property. A writer who, by the way, got that buzz by writing the Fantastic Four before they were outside Disney's purview. It's not like relaunches are something new.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I was a big fan of Hickman's New Avengers/Illuminati and the Secret Wars event was fantastic.

His mainline Avengers was hit and miss on the other hand. The storyline with Ex Niliho, Aleph, and Abyss never landed with me.

Still need to read his Fantastic Four.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I love Hickman so I'm in. I just hope someone who hasn't been following X-Men at all will be able to read this. My X-knowledge is limited to Dark Phoenix, New, Astonishing and Uncanny X-Force

i think that's a SUPER solid read order

i would throw in the first couple trades of David X-Factor & Wells New Mutants if you have time

i guess M, Sam & Roberto will play roles

I was a big fan of Hickman's New Avengers/Illuminati and the Secret Wars event was fantastic.

His mainline Avengers was hit and miss on the other hand. The storyline with Ex Niliho, Aleph, and Abyss never landed with me.

Still need to read his Fantastic Four.

it is his best work by far

Oct 27, 2017
X-Men is a property that has been mismanaged into failure despite the popularity of the brand. It's amazing how people can fuck this shit up.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
Not...really?

A writer with a ton of buzz is taking over a historically uneven property. A writer who, by the way, got that buzz by writing the Fantastic Four before they were outside Disney's purview. It's not like relaunches are something new.

In a post-MCU world, anything that happens with these characters is purely motivated by needing more track for the movies to run on, duh /s

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
xmen line of comics seems like a mess, like 6 different series and shit.

hopefully this whole Hickman line actually follows through and we get some omnibus (or 2) in a couple years.

loved a few of the movies and its a marvel series of comics I've been wanting to get back into one day (since the Morrison stuff)

Nov 8, 2017
I don't think it's crazy to think they might play around with concepts that could lend themselves to introducing the mutant gene to the MCU

I feel like they already put a back door in with Iron Man 3's "wow it seems like someone has put in this crazy genetic blank template in our genes! We are designed to be upgraded!"

Like I assume this was intended to be somehow connected to future Inhumans stuff, but it would work just as well for Xmen I guess.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
I'm so onboard for this. My first time back with X-Men comics since Joss Whedon Astonishing run ended. Please Marvel, just pay what this man deserves and never let him go again. And what he deserves I mean a shitload of cash. Hell, make him work with higher ups to coordinate the whole line while you are at it.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
The X-Men universe is awesome. They just need to contain it. There doesn't need to be a ton of X-books. 2-3 is enough.

Sometimes I go to Marvel Wiki and I'm just blown away at how many they crank out per month. Just for May 2019 we have:

1. Apocalypse and the X-Tracts
2. Nextgen
3. Prisoner X
4. The Amazing Nightcrawler
5. The Marvelous X-Men
6. The X-Tremists
7. Dead Man Logan
8. Essential X-Men
9. Hulkverines
10. Mr and Mrs X
11. Uncanny X-Men Winters End
12. Uncanny X-Men
13. Wolverine Infinity Watch
14. Wolverine The Long Night
15. Wolverine and Deadpool
16. X-23
17. X-Force

YOU THINK THAT'S ENOUGH

That's not even including the Deadpool stuff

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
Marvel relaunches annually, and DC gets flack around here for relaunching twice in ten years.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes I go to Marvel Wiki and I'm just blown away at how many they crank out per month. Just for May 2019 we have:

2. Nextgen
3. Prisoner X
5. The Marvelous X-Men
6. The X-Tremists
7. Dead Man Logan
8. Essential X-Men
9. Hulkverines
10. Mr and Mrs X
12. Uncanny X-Men
16. X-23
17. X-Force

YOU THINK THAT'S ENOUGH

Essential X-Men and Wolverine and Deadpool are UK only reprints.

I wouldn't expect a small number of X-books going forward though it seems like they will be doing it in two waves.

Marvel relaunches annually, and DC gets flack around here for relaunching twice in ten years.
DC gets flack with New 52 because they did weird/bad things to old characters and the writers weren't even on the same page. Rebirth was universally praised.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting, I would like the X men go in a direction, instead of the....everything that's been occurring

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017
Post-relaunch, is there any chance Iceman could again be in the running for a solo series or at least a focus of one of the group books? While I've thought his solo books have only been "okay," I like Marvel continuing to give the character a chance.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
ZattMurdock Thanks for those Twitter posts. Sure, half of it's just doing your Marvel marketing due diligence, but for some of them you can tell there's genuine excitement. Leah Williams' thoughts especially. The Hickman interview is just rich. Makes me want to trust Hickman.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
ZattMurdock Thanks for those Twitter posts. Sure, half of it's just doing your Marvel marketing due diligence, but for some of them you can tell there's genuine excitement.
Yeah you can tell that there is some genuine electricity and excitement coming out of those tweets. It feels like all the times suffering as an X-Men fan is finally ending, and this is coming from someone that actually enjoyed some stuff the last years, even if through Marvel Unlimited.

Marvel Comics will take a big chunk of my entertainment wallet, but I'm more than pleased to do so as long as Hickman is there.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like they already put a back door in with Iron Man 3's "wow it seems like someone has put in this crazy genetic blank template in our genes! We are designed to be upgraded!"

Like I assume this was intended to be somehow connected to future Inhumans stuff, but it would work just as well for Xmen I guess.
The bigger issue is introducing millions of "enhanced." Were there already mutants like Xavier in the MCU? Or is it a new thing that just happened so no one has any experience with this?

As more powerful people enter the MCU more viewers will ask "where was this person while [event] was happening?" both going forward and looking back.

I can imagine they will take several years to figure out how to execute this while letting the old franchise fade from memory.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017

2. Nextgen
3. Prisoner X
5. The Marvelous X-Men
6. The X-Tremists
7. Dead Man Logan
8. Essential X-Men
9. Hulkverines
10. Mr and Mrs X
12. Uncanny X-Men
16. X-23
17. X-Force

YOU THINK THAT'S ENOUGH

Just FYI, but a bunch of those are minis as part of the Age of X-Man event. They put out a lot of books each month, but it's usally closer to half of what you have there.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I used to love the X-men but haven't read them regularly since not long after Morrison's run. I'm totally on board giving this a go and would love to see Hickman bring them back to prominence. The dude created, to me at least, THE marvel run. Here's hoping for a repeat.

I've not read anything in a while, has Evan gone full En?

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I used to love the X-men but haven't read them regularly since not long after Morrison's run. I'm totally on board giving this a go and would love to see Hickman bring them back to prominence. The dude created, to me at least, THE marvel run. Here's hoping for a repeat.

I've not read anything in a while, has Evan gone full En?
Nope. I think Apocalypse is back on his own, though. No need for reincarnation though Evan.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Not really. all six of the women in the center of that House of X cover are apparently Moira in a different look. Aside from maybe two, I don't think she's ever appeared like that.

Well shit, I thought three of them were the cuckoos.

Not that it would have stopped me from jumping in but good to know a lot of that seems new.