• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

iiicon

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I've liked some modern X-books but it's hard to argue the line didn't need this. The stop-start nature of Marvel publishing and intentional depreciation of X-books killed them, and X-Men needs a high profile grand vision to get back near the top. Hickman can deliver.

Oct 27, 2017
I would get more excited if it was a hard reboot of X-men instead of a soft one, and if it stuck to one cohesive storyline in just one or two books. But it's marvel so it's gonna spiral into a dozen line wide events with a thousand cameos after like a day and a half.

Or they can pleasantly surprise me.

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't followed the X-Men books regularly in a long time, but it really doesn't look like I've been missing much; they've looked utterly directionless for ages (just look at how they did another "mutants are endangered!" story immediately after undoing M-Day)

But I think if anyone can change that, it's Hickman. It's cool how it looks like he's bringing back Moira MacTaggert in a big way. And Nimrod! Always liked Nimrod.

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
this shit always sucks for offshoots that get caught up in the big comic relaunches. though I got no lcue about xmen comics and if there are offshoots rn

TRUE ORDER

Oct 30, 2017
It's exciting to see all those posts on twitter, will definitely check HOX and POX.

Wonder if Betsy will play a role in the story...

kazamatsuri

Behind the Scenes at Epic
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
I never cared about the Fantastic Four until a friend recommended it to me and Hickman's take made me an instant fan. Same with his Avengers/New Avengers run. Now I'll read anything by him. I haven't read an X-Men title regularly since The Fall of the Mutants in the late 80s (!), so I'm sort of excited to get back into them, especially with Hickman running things.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
Slott saying this means a lot to me. His Silver Surfer run is one of the best things Marvel ever published.
Dan Slott and Jonathan Hickman are my favorite comic book contemporary writers. I don't think I've been this excited for a comic book run in forever tho. There is a clear sense of taking these characters to new heights here, it's a shame that I can't feel the same for Aaron's current Avengers run tho. I love him, but I truly feel weird with Ghost Rider there. It reeks of a Marvel TV vs Marvel Studios clash mandate. I truly hope that I can get excited for Avengers again, but give me a ten year Hickman X-run first.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The X-Men started off so well: lots of iconic characters and interesting themes. Bit of a shame they haven't been able to handle it properly lately.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The X-Men started off so well: lots of iconic characters and interesting themes. Bit of a shame they haven't been able to handle it properly lately.

I grew up reading the Claremont/Byrne era. It really has its place in history.

Good lord though, no single writer in comics history left more dangling, unresolved threads than Chris Claremont.

Shit needs to be cleaner than that.

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I grew up reading the Claremont/Byrne era. It really has its place in history.

Good lord though, no single writer in comics history left more dangling, unresolved threads than Chris Claremont.

Shit needs to be cleaner than that.

I've always thought that would make a good thread. Everything that was unresolved.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I always fall for titles like this. I click on this thinking it's about the movies and then realize it's actually only about the damn comic books. I wish the titles could specify that (I don't know who Hickman is so I suppose anyone who does knows this was comic book related).

Oh well.

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
I always fall for titles like this. I click on this thinking it's about the movies and then realize it's actually only about the damn comic books. I wish the titles could specify that (I don't know who Hickman is so I suppose anyone who does knows this was comic book related).

Oh well.

"ongoing flagship X-Men title" is clearly about a book

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I would get more excited if it was a hard reboot of X-men instead of a soft one, and if it stuck to one cohesive storyline in just one or two books. But it's marvel so it's gonna spiral into a dozen line wide events with a thousand cameos after like a day and a half.

This is how I feel. I come from the manga fan side of the argument, the only Hickman I've read is East of West's first 20 issues because it's a focused creator run series. That's what I enjoy. If you tell me XMen will be a streamlined thing for a few years you have my interest...once you reveal the 900 spinoffs I'm out, its just too much.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Hey Hickman. I still need you to finish East of West and Black Monday Murders before selling your soul back to Marvel. But sure, I'll be buying this lol. Sounds simple enough to follow - wait for the hardcover that combines House of X and Powers of X, then after that grab the trades for his ongoing X-men run until it ends.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
This is how I feel. I come from the manga fan side of the argument, the only Hickman I've read is East of West's first 20 issues because it's a focused creator run series. That's what I enjoy. If you tell me XMen will be a streamlined thing for a few years you have my interest...once you reveal the 900 spinoffs I'm out, its just too much.
Hmm, I think you didn't read the interview closely or the interviewer didn't make a good job with the questions. The first two limited series will go through the history of the X-Men revealing things that will be important for his X-Men run. Hickman is excellent on writing dense storytelling and at same time make it new reader friendly, for further proof just look for his Avengers and Fantastic Four runs, both of them are legendary and worth checking out.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
Hickman is a cyclops fan right? Can't wait

Hickman has a character snap Cyke's neck halfway through the last series he wrote with him lol

Hey Hickman. I still need you to finish East of West and Black Monday Murders before selling your soul back to Marvel. But sure, I'll be buying this lol. Sounds simple enough to follow - wait for the hardcover that combines House of X and Powers of X, then after that grab the trades for his ongoing X-men run until it ends.

BMM is coming. He said that Tom had some health problems, so they're gonna wait until it's basically all done to re-solicit them rather than dealing with delays later.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
BMM is coming. He said that Tom had some health problems, so they're gonna wait until it's basically all done to re-solicit them rather than dealing with delays later.
Yes I know about the health problems and I wish him all the best. I just remember what happened the last times Hickman stuff went on hiatus - SHIELD and The Manhattan Projects...... yeah. :(

Disco

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, shit like that in comics is exhausting. I hope whatever this is will be fine to follow in trade collections and it will stick to one series

BSherrod

Oct 27, 2017
In. My. Veins.

I was under the impression that the last relaunch was generally well received though?I'm working my way to the current books and just got done reading Second Coming.

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to subscribe to this, but Marvel shipping is questionable?

Should I go third party comic book store online?

Any recommendations?

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore

It doesn't really matter if it's a "hard" or "soft" reboot if it's Hickman writing it. He doesn't plan or write his story narratives with the expectation that the audience is up to speed on the various happenings in the larger universe or if the audience will be following other books and tie-ins not written by him. What he expects is the audience to read anything he's writing within the storyline (it's usually at most 2 concurrent books) and to have an earnest interest in the subject matter. Beyond that he provides everything you need to enjoy the story from the beginning to the end, and all the context you will need.

That's how he wrote Fantastic Four, and that's how he wrote Avengers. There's no reason to think he wouldn't be writing X-men like that. Even if after the miniseries kick-off, there are 600 different X books, the only one that really matters to those who want to follow an ongoing narrative, will be the book Hickman is writing. When there are larger crossovers that happen, like how Avengers had Infinity and Secret Wars, you still only need to follow the Hickman book(s) that lead into that. There might be acknowledgements of the larger Marvel universe in the crossovers but everything you need to enjoy the Hickman crossover will be from the Hickman books. If it isn't a Hickman crossover, you can likely ignore it entirely. There were Marvel crossovers during his Fantastic Four run but none of them really mattered at all to the F4 story and can be skipped completely.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't really matter if it's a "hard" or "soft" reboot if it's Hickman writing it. He doesn't plan or write his story narratives with the expectation that the audience is up to speed on the various happenings in the larger universe or if the audience will be following other books and tie-ins not written by him. What he expects is the audience to read anything he's writing within the storyline (it's usually at most 2 concurrent books) and to have an earnest interest in the subject matter. Beyond that he provides everything you need to enjoy the story from the beginning to the end, and all the context you will need.

That's how he wrote Fantastic Four, and that's how he wrote Avengers. There's no reason to think he wouldn't be writing X-men like that. Even if after the miniseries kick-off, there are 600 different X books, the only one that really matters to those who want to follow an ongoing narrative, will be the book Hickman is writing. When there are larger crossovers that happen, like how Avengers had Infinity and Secret Wars, you still only need to follow the Hickman book(s) that lead into that. There might be acknowledgements of the larger Marvel universe in the crossovers but everything you need to enjoy the Hickman crossover will be from the Hickman books. If it isn't a Hickman crossover, you can likely ignore it entirely. There were Marvel crossovers during his Fantastic Four run but none of them really mattered at all to the F4 story and can be skipped completely.
This advise works for reading serialized comics in general. If it's not specifically referenced or a common knowledge thing (Green Goblin is Norman Osborne common knowledge), then it's not relevant to any arc or volume until it is.

Kaim Argonar

Dec 8, 2017
I wonder if this new run will be self contained and will not rely on following 3 other comic series (or get quickly canceled too). It's why I stay away from Marvel comics. It feels like you have to do fucking homework before you start reading something and jump from one storie to another.

Sometimes when I feel like having one of those big Marvel books I just don't know what to buy that fits that criteria as happens to be good.

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
This is the right thing to do. Take us to the promised land, Hickman!

I wonder if this new run will be self contained and will not rely on following 3 other comic series (or get quickly canceled too). It's why I stay away from Marvel comics. It feels like you have to do fucking homework before you start reading something and jump from one storie to another.

Sometimes when I feel like having one of those big Marvel books I just don't know what to buy that fits that criteria as happens to be good.
Thats not how Hickman works. He tends to only reference his own work.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616

Just read the excellent advice that duckroll posted. I wouldn't say better myself:

You have nothing to fear in getting involved following Hickman's X-Men. You'll be following two Hickman monthly books tops, and it seems that it's actually just one monthly after the two limited series of 6 issues he is doing: House of X and Powers of X(this last one as the Roman number '10'). The interview says he will be writing a monthly for the X-Men next. Trust me, you won't regret it.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
This advise works for reading serialized comics in general. If it's not specifically referenced or a common knowledge thing (Green Goblin is Norman Osborne common knowledge), then it's not relevant to any arc or volume until it is.
While largely true for arcs in general, the difference with Hickman is that he tends to plan out an entire run thematically, even if it runs for years. So there's that extra assurance that you're not wasting your time investing in it as one big story, and it won't fizzle out until the writer is replaced. The way he bookended the main run in Fantastic Four with a father teaching a son was what sold me for life on his ability to tell a long form story and pay if off. I still get shivers thinking about how well he stuck the landing in Fantastic Four, Avengers Out of Time, and Secret Wars. It's why I can patiently wait for East of West to finish up, only buying the hardcover collections once every few years, with the confidence that when it all wraps up, it'll be worth it's place on my shelf.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
In. My. Veins.

I was under the impression that the last relaunch was generally well received though?I'm working my way to the current books and just got done reading Second Coming.
The second to last relaunch was well received. X-Men Blue, Red, and Gold were all solid books. Red was the absolute standout, though. Then they did X-Men Disassembled and it all went to shit.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
I knew this would be a big deal that they are giving the X-Men keys to Hickman to complete remake the whole line, but it just clicked for me how with Marvel Studios getting the movie rights back, they are at a position to really make X-Men a huge deal again across all media. I see how all the planets were aligning to make this happen and it's getting me excited for what they have in store.

Cabbagehead

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When he talked about family, instead of just waxing on about X-men being about particular metaphors, was music to my ears (along with a bunch of other things he made clear as rain). Like man, are we in for a lot of crazy, fun shit with a point at the end of it all. Along with amazing art. Plus whatever comes out of this new era will most certainly line up with the X-men being in the MCU and they will be using his books (and legacy books) as a filter or testing ground to ensure that things stay relatively coherent but still separate.

Onward to Hickman's X-men!

Giving Hickman the keys to the X-books is the smartest thing Marvel Comics have done in idk how long

Stoked
Like in forever.

Last edited:

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Couldn't be more excited for this. Hickman will absolutely deliver and as a life-long X-Men fan this will be glorious.

LiQuid!

Oct 26, 2017
How's X-men been for the last 5 or 6 years?

I was really deep in comics, in particular X-Men comics around ca. 2011-2013. Started reading around Schism and went back and read a bunch of the stuff that lead up to that (House of M, Messiah Complex, Messiah War, Second Coming). Had to stop cold turkey a few months after Bendis took over All New and Uncanny X-Men cause I was reading way way too much and Jason Aaron's Wolverine and the X-Men (which was my fav at the time) either ended or was losing steam, I forget. Anything worth reading from that Bendis era til present day?

Jonathan Hickman's a guy that could get me to check back in. Always heard about his highly regarded FF run and I checked out a few of his Avengers issues but sadly they were teams I didn't care too much for (honestly I'm a Marvel guy, but mostly insofar as I love X-Men and Spidey)

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
I'm amazed at how many people in this thread just flat-out lack a basic grasp of how superhero comics work.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not up to date on my comic book lingo. I read Marvel or X-men I instantly think of movies. The only reason I don't think it may be about a videogame it's because we're in the off topic section.

I mean. I get it. If I see "Avengers" in the video game section I'm instantly going to think about Project Avengers, not that goofy Avengers arcade game. But that's impulse thinking. There's nothing wrong with the title.

How's X-men been for the last 5 or 6 years?

I was really deep in comics, in particular X-Men comics around ca. 2011-2013. Started reading around Schism and went back and read a bunch of the stuff that lead up to that (House of M, Messiah Complex, Messiah War, Second Coming). Had to stop cold turkey a few months after Bendis took over All New and Uncanny X-Men cause I was reading way way too much and Jason Aaron's Wolverine and the X-Men (which was my fav at the time) either ended or was losing steam, I forget. Anything worth reading from that Bendis era til present day?

Jonathan Hickman's a guy that could get me to check back in. Always heard about his highly regarded FF run and I checked out a few of his Avengers issues but sadly they were teams I didn't care too much for (honestly I'm a Marvel guy, but mostly insofar as I love X-Men and Spidey)

Not really. There's a few things here and there but you'd do better just waiting for House of X and Power of X to start.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
people not excited about this don't realise Hickman isnt just another writer.

Or rather, they don't realise what he did with his Fantastic Four / Future Foundation -> Avengers / New Avengers (notice how it's always 2 concurrent books, just like these X books) -> Secret Wars years long run. It doesnt matter if you like or dont like the F4. It doesnt matter if you like or dont like the Avengers. Neither did I, and the whole thing is simply the best comic book arc I have ever read in my 40 years of living.

X9zUA8X.png

This shit was so masterfully done across different books / series, over many years, tying it all together beautifully. That is why there is so much hype for this. Will it deliver? No idea, but I remember even years ago peeps in the comic thread saying / joking "please do for the X-Men what you did for F4/Avengers Hickman" and now, years later, it's a literal dream come true.

Go get a MU sub or something and read that shit, its worth the $10.

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like I am getting back into comics. What is the best way to go about buying new releases on my iPad? Just the Marvel app?

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
I'm cautiously oprimistic, I used to love X-Men, if the new line up is good I might jump back into it.

Although constant reboots and retcons where the reason I initially stopped reading ...

SDBurton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Well shit I may have to get back to reading comics now. Trying to figure out where to start in the current arcs were always such a pain.