• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vibranium

Oct 28, 2017
Man I can't believe Hickman is gonna get me to shell out 5 bucks+ Canadian per issue (screw Comixology for now regional pricing). That's how much I like his work.

Pagusas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Frisco, Tx
So just to be clear: I don't read comics. If I wanted to start and be there from the beginning of a story, I should wait for there first issue of this relaunched X-men? Or do I start with this power of x thing?

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
So just to be clear: I don't read comics. If I wanted to start and be there from the beginning of a story, I should wait for there first issue of this relaunched X-men? Or do I start with this power of x thing?

start with the house of x / powers of x 12 issue mini series, then the relaunched #1 that follows

all of these will be 1 story, written by 1 guy

Cabbagehead

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
people not excited about this don't realise Hickman isnt just another writer.

Or rather, they don't realise what he did with his Fantastic Four / Future Foundation -> Avengers / New Avengers (notice how it's always 2 concurrent books, just like these X books) -> Secret Wars years long run. It doesnt matter if you like or dont like the F4. It doesnt matter if you like or dont like the Avengers. Neither did I, and the whole thing is simply the best comic book arc I have ever read in my 40 years of living.

X9zUA8X.png

This shit was so masterfully done across different books / series, over many years, tying it all together beautifully. That is why there is so much hype for this. Will it deliver? No idea, but I remember even years ago peeps in the comic thread saying / joking "please do for the X-Men what you did for F4/Avengers Hickman" and now, years later, it's a literal dream come true.

Go get a MU sub or something and read that shit, its worth the $10.
period

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
Start with House of X and Powers of X (this last one actually means "ten", from the Roman number X).

Last edited:

Charsace

Chicken Chaser
Nov 22, 2017
I would be ecstatic if he did something with Hope and brought back X23 Wolverine.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
I'm down. I tried to get back into X-men after messiah complex and it was just waaaay too fucking hard to follow.

RiZ IV

Oct 27, 2017
And this is why I hate American comics. Endless reboots. Retcons galore. It's pointless trying to follow a storyline.

LiQuid!

Oct 26, 2017
I'm down. I tried to get back into X-men after messiah complex and it was just waaaay too fucking hard to follow.
Heh this was precisely the era I got back into X-men real hard, but they kept pulling me into so many of the sidebooks via crossovers and side characters I wanted to see that it got overwhelming. I'll say there's a pretty easy to follow throughline from Messiah Complex through a couple of the bigger events (Messiah Complex, Messiah War, Second Coming, Remender's Uncanny X-Force, then lastly Schism) that will lead you into the "Wolverine and the X-Men" title where Wolvie took over for Charles leading the school and it was probably the most fun X-men book I ever read. Uncanny X-force is an 11/10 comic book that should be read by everybody, even if you have to sift through some wikipedia entries to learn some backstory on characters like Angel and the Age of Apocalypse.

Not really. There's a few things here and there but you'd do better just waiting for House of X and Power of X to start.
So Bendis had the keys for half a decade and didn't produce anything really noteworthy? That's really a shame. I guess instead of catching up on the last 5 years of X-Men comics, I'll follow the Hickman saga guide posted above and catch up on those runs of FF and Avengers that I missed instead.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
So Bendis had the keys for half a decade and didn't produce anything really noteworthy? That's really a shame. I guess instead of catching up on the last 5 years of X-Men comics, I'll follow the Hickman saga guide posted above and catch up on those runs of FF and Avengers that I missed instead.

FF is worth reading ASAP.

For recent X-Men, X-Men Red is a classic little 12 issue run.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
Heh this was precisely the era I got back into X-men real hard, but they kept pulling me into so many of the sidebooks via crossovers and side characters I wanted to see that it got overwhelming. I'll say there's a pretty easy to follow throughline from Messiah Complex through a couple of the bigger events (Messiah Complex, Messiah War, Second Coming, Remender's Uncanny X-Force, then lastly Schism) that will lead you into the "Wolverine and the X-Men" title where Wolvie took over for Charles leading the school and it was probably the most fun X-men book I ever read. Uncanny X-force is an 11/10 comic book that should be read by everybody, even if you have to sift through some wikipedia entries to learn some backstory on characters like Angel and the Age of Apocalypse.

Yeah, uncanny X-Force was awesome but you could read it by itself. All the other shit crossed into like 50 different titles. The last thing I read was cable raising Hope in the future and it got all out of whack with cross overs so I just stopped. It's a shame too because I read X-men all through the late 80s and 90s. Stopping after Wolverine got his Adamantium back after the bone claw/No-nose era. I'd love for X-men to have a return to form and it sounds like this is it.

I'll check out schism and wolverine and the X-men though since I have marvel unlimited.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017

Bendis left X-Men three years ago. It's been a cavalcade of writers since then but almost none of them have done anything amazing. Bendis' Uncanny was decent, Mr. And Mrs. X and Rogue and Gambit are great, but other than that the franchise has been treading water. Mostly because Marvel didn't seem excited to do anything with them until they got the film rights.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I'm confused. Why wouldn't I just start with the relaunch instead of reading House of x?

comic numbering is very obtuse, i know

think of this as 1 story from 1 writer

first, he will set the stage with a 12 issue story (house of x / powers of x) and then that leads directly into "relaunched" #1 - but it's all 1 long story

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
Just a heads up, if you have a Comixology membership you can get 50% off on ANY Marvel book right now, including pre-orders.

Both House/Powers of X #1 are actually listed on the site already, so if you pre-order now you can get both for $6, instead of paying $5.99 a piece for them.

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
I'm confused. Why wouldn't I just start with the relaunch instead of reading House of x? Or is house of x actually part of the relaunch? If so why isn't it considered issue 1?

Normally, you might be able to do this, but this particular author lays seeds for stuff down the road in all of his work. So if you're interested in reading Jonathan Hickman's Uncanny X-Men or whatever the ongoing ends up being called, it's essential that you read Johnathan Hickman's House of X/Powers of X series that come first.

Pagusas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Frisco, Tx
Think of it like: House of X/Powers of X is the prologue. The relaunched #1 book is chapter 1.

Ohhhhh!!!! Ok thank you that makes sense. It was starting to sound like house of X was like the wrap up story for the current universe and maybe somehow soft rebooted it (ala Star Trek 2009)

So question then, what happens to the current X-men universe? Do they just abandon all stories and say "and they all lived happily ever after" or do they try writing some sort of series finale to tie up any loose ends?

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
Ohhhhh!!!! Ok thank you that makes sense. It was starting to sound like house of X was like the wrap up story for the current universe and maybe somehow soft rebooted it (ala Star Trek 2009)

So question then, what happens to the current X-men universe? Do they just abandon all stories and say "and they all lived happily ever after" or do they try writing some sort of series finale to tie up any loose ends?

These comics have been building on each other for almost 60 years. They very rarely just drop or overwrite continuity that comes before. They may ignore certain things they don't like or they don't want to deal with, they may draw on several things already established, but Hickman will likely provide small synopses of these key things, so you don't have to delve into hundreds of back issues unless you want to.

Plainswalker

Apr 14, 2018
Canada

It's not a reboot like that. Just think of it as a new season of a serialized TV show, with House/Powers of X being a big season premiere. That's probably the most simple way of looking at it: last season's storyline is over, a new one starts, so if you want you can just jump in this season instead without watching the seasons before.

Pagusas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Frisco, Tx
These comics have been building on each other for almost 60 years. They very rarely just drop or overwrite continuity that comes before. They may ignore certain things they don't like or they don't want to deal with, they may draw on several things already established, but Hickman will likely provide small synopses of these key things, so you don't have to delve into hundreds of back issues unless you want to.

Ohh :( very sad. I thought they meant this would be a 100% fresh start. I was so excited to start something from the beginning and see what they do with a fresh start. Oh well.

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Ohh :( very sad. I thought they meant this would be a 100% fresh start. I was so excited to start something from the beginning and see what they do with a fresh start. Oh well.

Nah. Marvel doesn't do that either their main universe. That's the appeal of it. What happened, happened.

They tried to do a "fresh start" with the Ultimate Universe and that was eventually cancelled.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Good idea. I'm excited to see a fresh take considering the present state of the franchise.

Keep Deadpool exactly as he is though.

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Since this is clearly going to involve some sort of major retcon(s) to the history and possibly nature of mutants in the Marvel Universe, I hope Hickman or one of the writers following him takes the opportunity to undo the Quicksilver/Scarlet Witch parentage retcon from a few years back.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
people not excited about this don't realise Hickman isnt just another writer.

Or rather, they don't realise what he did with his Fantastic Four / Future Foundation -> Avengers / New Avengers (notice how it's always 2 concurrent books, just like these X books) -> Secret Wars years long run. It doesnt matter if you like or dont like the F4. It doesnt matter if you like or dont like the Avengers. Neither did I, and the whole thing is simply the best comic book arc I have ever read in my 40 years of living.

X9zUA8X.png

This shit was so masterfully done across different books / series, over many years, tying it all together beautifully. That is why there is so much hype for this. Will it deliver? No idea, but I remember even years ago peeps in the comic thread saying / joking "please do for the X-Men what you did for F4/Avengers Hickman" and now, years later, it's a literal dream come true.

Go get a MU sub or something and read that shit, its worth the $10.
This list encouraged me to do something I never done before: reading all the Hickman's Marvel material back to back. I'm currently about to start Secret Warriors #2, but decided to give a quick reading to Secret Invasion again to set the mood.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017

AiPT!: That's good to hear. Steven (@stevenxvision) wanted to know what X-Men runs or story arcs are considered essential reading ahead of House of X and Powers of X.

Jonathan: It's tough to say because I'm in it so deep right now, but I'm pretty sure that you can pick these books up cold. I'm sure, because I simply don't like to do this because of how it ruins the dialogue, that there will be instances where I could be labeling characters better, but that doesn't really have anything to do with previous runs.

I will say that in re-reading everything, probably the most criminally underrated X-Men writer is Mike Carey. I mean, it's obvious that Mike is brilliant, but there are a lot of things buried in his books that are tier-one ideas that writers following him must have just blown right past.

Conceptually, that "Supernovas" stuff is great.

AiPT!: Well, speaking of all those characters, Julian Keller (@alittlebittorn) asked if HOX and POX will feature core X-Men teams.

Jonathan: HOX and POX aren't really structured that way in that they're not really stories about teams or missions. Saying that, they have teams and missions, but it's not the point.

Going forward, however, I think the idea of 'teams' and 'schools' and other 'ways to get things done' aren't necessarily the kind of things that we want to hold too tight to. I don't want to give the game away, so I'm not going to say anymore, but we won't be doing 'gold' and 'blue' teams in the traditional manner.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
One thing we can all agree on, Cyclops will still suck in whatever incarnation of the X-Men marvel is on.

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
AiPT!: That was beautiful. Gavin Higginbotham (@GavHigginbotham) was curious, when assembling your X-Men story, just how much back material did you read for research?

Jonathan: I've had a pretty good idea of what I would do with the X-Men for a few years now. Most of those general plans can be found in the upcoming Powers of X book. The House of X stuff came about when it became clear just how much bandwidth we'd have inside of both Marvel and the X-Office.

I mean, there's a pretty massive difference between planning for a single book and the direction of an entire line. So I took about five months and did a bunch of re-reading, quite a bit of outlining, I wrote a bunch of documents for both Marvel editorial and the upcoming writers. It was quite a lot.

Any homework that needed to be done was.

He really is directing the entire line. Goddamn.

Fuu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
Nah. Marvel doesn't do that either their main universe. That's the appeal of it. What happened, happened.

They tried to do a "fresh start" with the Ultimate Universe and that was eventually cancelled.
Yep. Not to mention Heroes Reborn.

I'm always for keeping things in continuity. The good writers know how to use details from the old stories just enough to keep things surprising and interesting without alienating people who haven't read those. Reading back issues is way less important than it appears to be. And nowadays there's always the wikis too for any obscure tidbit.

Clean reboots always end up falling on the trap of redoing the old stories again and it gets stale super fast. The Ultimate universe is likely the most successful one and it was indeed great for a while, but even then it became obsolete after the main universe started employing the same elements that worked there.

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Yep. Not to mention Heroes Reborn.

I'm always for keeping things in continuity. The good writers know how to use details from the old stories just enough to keep things surprising and interesting without alienating people who haven't read those. Reading back issues is way less important than it appears to be. And nowadays there's always the wikis too for any obscure tidbit.

Clean reboots always end up falling on the trap of redoing the old stories again and it gets stale super fast. The Ultimate universe is likely the most successful one and it was indeed great for a while, but even then it became obsolete after the main universe started employing the same elements that worked there.

Also-it eventually had the same problem. It too was over 10 years old now so if a new reader wanted to join in they would still feel like they were missing something.

It's just unrealistic to expect to read every single issue and story from the past. Just enjoy the ones that stood out and read current books.

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Comixology for new issues. Marvel Unlimited is great for its catalog of back-issues, but it takes anywhere from 6 months to a year before a new issue gets added.

Correction: it's always six months. Every monday morning, the new issues from the same week six months earlier gets uploaded.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Carey's run was so good and I'm mad people never recommended it to me. Only Rogue fans know it's worth.
I was searching his runs earlier today (this article), but I had a time figuring out where to start and what to get. I would like it, if there are collected graphic novels of his stuff on Comixology. And Rogue is one of my favorites; and I read he made her the "leader," and in actual control of her powers.

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
Hickman is absolutely speaking my language with that praise of Carey's run. Definitely one of the most underrated X-Men runs.