Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 announced exclusively for Nintendo Switch (Team Ninja developed, Nintendo published)

Jan 12, 2018
So I'm not really a fan of the art style that they went with but all of the people saying the previous 2 looked better need to take your nostalgia glasses off and go ahead and play them again because they look awful (and the voice acting, holy shit). I loved the first two but going back to them recently made me shutter a bit. They aren't what I'd remembered so fondly. I'm hopeful for this game. I was very surprised to see the Nintendo Switch exclusive but I'm not mad. This is why I have all consoles.

Oct 27, 2017
Agreed :/. This is like if Final Fantasy went back to being a Playstation exclusive.
???

That doesn't make any sense. Activision had no use for the MUA franchise. They clearly weren't going to renew any license agreements with Marvel to make another game. I don't know what order of events took place or how it happened, but it's clear that Nintendo was able to scoop MUA up and their partnership with Koei Tecmo allowed them to find a talented studio to develop it. And of course, they cut through enough red tape with Marvel that X-Men are on the table for this game.

Oct 25, 2017
I can't help but respect that Nintendo is continuing to dance to the beat of their own drum. Good for them. I'm very excited for this.

Oct 25, 2017
It dont get this comments like its look terrible or like ass, IMO it looks OK, I like art style.

It reminds me of the MvCI style. Not terrible, but also a little bland. For the kind of game it is, I think it will ultimately be fine as long as the animation/frame rate is smooth.

Oct 29, 2017
So I'm not really a fan of the art style that they went with but all of the people saying the previous 2 looked better need to take your nostalgia glasses off and go ahead and play them again because they look awful (and the voice acting, holy shit). I loved the first two but going back to them recently made me shutter a bit. They aren't what I'd remembered so fondly. I'm hopeful for this game. I was very surprised to see the Nintendo Switch exclusive but I'm not mad. This is why I have all consoles.
The cheesy voice acting is part of what makes those games memorable for me

“THIS IS BETTER THAN A SPIDER BITE”

... uh... what dude?

“JUST LIKE THE SUPER SOLDIER SERUM!”

... WHAT’S just like the super soldier serum?!

Oct 28, 2017
It looks better than MvCI. They're using the same style (MCU-ish) of character designs, but they just cel shaded or stylised enough to look better.

Aug 24, 2018
The Haven
How is it not? You're literally saying it's ok for one game to be exclusive while the other shouldn't. It's not like I'm accusing you of something out of nowhere. It's the same tired arguments console warriors use.
No, I'm reasoning why a game that was ALWAYS multiplat should REMAIN multiplat while also saying I understand why a game with two companies with a good and longstanding relationship based off the license of that character in the very first game of it's series is exclusive and less bothersome.

There was nothing at all in my statements to suggest I was console warring and you and anyone with fair reasoning knows it. I have no issue if you disagree with my thoughts and want to debate why you feel how you do on things but don't assign shit to me just because I don't jive with yours and I'll show you the same respect.

It's quite possible Nintendo approached them with a strong proposal, yes. If that's the case, Marvel must have been pretty impressed, since they could have easily made this a multiplatform release.

Though Marvel seems to be getting pretty aggressive on the games side of things, so I wouldn't be surprised at all if this was their idea from the outset.
Yeah, it's definitely a possibility so I can't claim to know why they did it or who approached who but my feelings on it is just based off the series always being multiplat and suddenly it's not. I think it's a bit of a slap to the face of longtime fans (like myself) who are now shafted if we don't have a Switch, which sadly I don't yet. I'm not mad at this, just annoyed honestly and that's probably because I'll end up owning the system sooner than later anyway.

Would it honestly make you feel better if Nintendo/Marvel came out and said that the game wouldn't exist if Nintendo didn't step up and fund it (ala SFV), even if that weren't necessarily true? It feels sometimes that the lessons these big companies could take from the way some fans react to things is basically "Get better at bullshitting us".
No, I'd feel they not only annoyed me by making a traditionally multiplat game exclusive but they're playing on my intelligence to lie as if the game wouldn't happen otherwise. Don't even get me started on SFV. That still bothers me to this day.

My last post on this btw since apparently I was warned for "port begging" even though I wasn't doing that at all smh

Oct 27, 2017
No, I'm reasoning why a game that was ALWAYS multiplat should REMAIN multiplat while also saying I understand why a game with two companies with a good and longstanding relationship based off the license of that character in the very first game of it's series is exclusive and less bothersome.

There was nothing at all in my statements to suggest I was console warring and you and anyone with fair reasoning knows it. I have no issue if you disagree with my thoughts and want to debate why you feel how you do on things but don't assign shit to me just because I don't jive with yours and I'll show you the same respect.

Yeah, it's definitely a possibility so I can't claim to know why they did it or who approached who but my feelings on it is just based off the series always being multiplat and suddenly it's not. I think it's a bit of a slap to the face of longtime fans (like myself) who are now shafted if we don't have a Switch, which sadly I don't yet. I'm not mad at this, just annoyed honestly and that's probably because I'll end up owning the system sooner than later anyway.

No, I'd feel they not only annoyed me by making a traditionally multiplat game exclusive but they're playing on my intelligence to lie as if the game wouldn't happen otherwise. Don't even get me started on SFV. That still bothers me to this day.

My last post on this btw since apparently I was warned for "port begging" even though I wasn't doing that at all smh
Dude, you're port-begging like a PS4 owner that just found out Bayonetta 2 was a Wii U exclusive.

Oct 27, 2017
Looks awesome to me. I hope that shot at the end isn't the full roster though. I want other X-Men, Daredevil, Moon Knight, Iron Fist, Blade, Jessica Jones, etc...

Dec 5, 2017
Nintendo is publishing, and probably footing the bill. It's not all that different from Spiderman on PS4, and that game isn't third party.

Hell are Smash Bros and Hyrule Warriors third party?
Smash and Hyrule Warriors are totally different things, those are Nintendo IPs and Nintendo is involved in development of those games, while this game is 3rd party IP and made only buy 3rd party teams, point that Nintendo publishing it don't change that.
Games like Octopath Traveler, Daemon X Machina and Bayonetta 3 are all also 3rd party exclusives for Switch.

Oct 25, 2017
Smash and Hyrule Warriors are totally different things, those are Nintendo IPs and Nintendo is involved in development of those games, while this game is 3rd party IP and made only buy 3rd party teams, point that Nintendo publishing it don't change that.
Games like Octopath Traveler, Daemon X Machina and Bayonetta 3 are all also 3rd party exclusives for Switch.
It's not a third party IP if Nintendo is publishing. Again, is Spiderman a third party PS4 game?

When it comes to first/third party, who is publishing is the only thing that matters.

Oct 30, 2017
Austria
Liked the first one for reasons and wiil defenitely play this one if reviews turn out good.

Hopefully they can fix the artstyle before release.

Nov 27, 2017
Looks awesome to me. I hope that shot at the end isn't the full roster though. I want other X-Men, Daredevil, Moon Knight, Iron Fist, Blade, Jessica Jones, etc...
There were hand ninja in the trailer, where they pop up Daredevil and iron fist follow. I too hope for the return of moon knight. Also if we’ve got Crystal and Lockjaw we’re at least getting Black Bolt too

Oct 25, 2017
In the west, these are all first party titles.

In Japan, a couple of them (Octopath and likely Daemon) are third party titles.

We don't know the situation for Ultimate Alliance 3 in Japan yet. Could go either way. Lots of games developed by external companies qualify as first party software though and this applies to all three platform holders. And IP ownership isn't actually the deciding factor, which is why Sunset Overdrive, an Insomniac IP, is a first party release on XB1.

thetrin

Content Acquisition at DANGEN Entertainment
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Osaka Japan
Pretty exciting to see a Marvel game being developed by a Japanese studio again. I find Japanese studios tend to get to the heart of what makes characters cool. They really do their research.

Dec 5, 2017
It's not a third party IP if Nintendo is publishing. Again, is Spiderman a third party PS4 game?

When it comes to first/third party, who is publishing is the only thing that matters.
Its 3rd party IP develped buy 3rd party studio, point that Nintendo is publishing it dont change nothing, games like Octopath Traveler, Daemon X Machina, Bayonetta 3 and this game, cant be 1st party games in any case, those are all 3rd party exclusives.

Oct 25, 2017
Holland
“Well lets see what got announced at the Game Awards”

Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3, by Team Ninja, exclusively for Switch? Okay now I want to know how this game came into the world.

Seeing the thread, well thats not surprising. Don’t understand the ugly comments. I really liked the X-Men Legends and Marvel Ultimate Alliance games, but they never were lookers to begin with. But I’m curious and hyped.

Oct 25, 2017
Its 3rd party IP develped buy 3rd party studio, point that Nintendo is publishing it dont change nothing, games like Octopath Traveler, Daemon X Machina, Bayonetta 3 and this game, cant be 1st party games in any case.
You are wrong. Again, is Spiderman not a first party PS4 game? Answer that question. Nintendo 100% considers any game they publish a first party game. the meanings of these terms got bastardized over the years when people starting using them as part of console warrior arguments and bullet points.

Dec 5, 2017
You are wrong. Again, is Spiderman not a first party PS4 game? Answer that question. Nintendo 100% considers any game they publish a first party game. the meanings of these terms got bastardized over the years when people starting using them as part of console warrior arguments and bullet points.
Spiderman is little weird, and I dont want to talk about Spiderman when we have examples for Switch.
So you telling me that games like Octopath Traveler, Daemon X Machina, Bayonetta 3 and this game, are all 1st party games, same like Zelda, Mario, Yoshi..? That dont make sense.

mazi

Oct 27, 2017
damn, this was a surprise for sure. not my kinda game (don't really care for super heroes) but i hope it turns out well.

Spiderman is little weird, and I dont want to talk about Spiderman when we have examples for Switch.
So you telling me that games like Octopath Traveler, Daemon X Machina, Bayonetta 3 and this game, are all 1st party games, same like Zelda, Mario, Yoshi..? That dont make sense.
yes they are. first party means paid-for and published by the platform holder, this is published by nintendo. by your definition kirby, mario+luigi RPGs, fire emblem, all of those aren't first party either because they're made by studios that aren't owned by nintendo. when a platform holder pays for the development and publishes a game, it's a first party title.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, those are all first party games, at least in the west.

All four Gears of War releases last generation were Microsoft first party titles. And not only were they developed by an external company (Epic Games), MS didn't even own the IP.

Jaal

Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): History of Platform Warring, Account in Junior Phase
I don't get why there's people as mad as when Bayonetta 2 happened here.
We have Nintendo fans literally portbeg every game from the last 30 years, let people free to portbeg an ios look a like game like this, c'mon!

Oct 29, 2017
Hopefully the relatively modest graphics should allow for 4 player local co op. Would be a real shame if the game missed out on it, and it almost definitely wouldn’t be possible if Nintendo was trying to be cutting edge.

May 9, 2018
I can't pretend to even be able to make a guess as to who approached who in the making of this game, but I can easily see how the proposal for it would be greeted with open arms by both sides.

Nintendo gets a relatively high-profile 3rd-party IP game as an exclusive title for their console, especially coinciding with the Avengers movie next year. And Marvel/Disney/whoever holds the relevant licenses, get a new installment of that game series, for a fraction of the cost it would otherwise take, considering how the Switch doesn't need the Hollywood-sized budget for its graphics department that a PS4/5 game would need.

And if the game is a success, and demand for it is high for other platforms, the exclusivity deal doesn't prevent a 'remaster' of the game to be released a year later with better graphics.

Oct 25, 2017
Spiderman is only a "little weird" because it sort of blows your whole position out of the water. Its no different. What Im telling you that any game that Nintendo publishes is a first party game, same with Sony, same with Microsoft. The term refers to publishers. All this other stuff, all these caveats of "but is it exclusive! Timed or permanent? Do they own the IP? Were prior games multiple? Do they own he developer? is it really 2nd party then!?!?" were all created by enthusiasts as a way to feed into console war rhetoric. None of that stuff actually matters for any real purpose. The entire thing is actually very simple. Did a platform holder publish it? Yes, then it's first party. Did someone other than a platform holder publish it? Yes, okay then it's third party. That's it.

Jan 16, 2018
Stupid thought time -- any chance this game could support eight-player simultaneous co-op? Could you fit the controls on a single joycon?