• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
While playing Future Fight (is that the semi okay RPG?) earlier this year I couldn't help but wish we could have a proper Marvel game that's not a money hungry always online affair. This announcement makes me so happy :)

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
The only question that matters.

Is this "Nioh" Team Ninja.

Or "Hyrule Warriors" Team Ninja.

Personally I would prefer the former.
I thought Omega Force did Hyrule Warriors, not Team Ninja. Or was it both?
Team Ninja and Omega Force worked together on Hyrule and Fire Emblem Warriors. They were cross-studio efforts. The Nioh team is working on Nioh 2.

Whoever within Team Ninja is working on MUA3, it's not the combined FEW dev team nor the Nioh team.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I have no idea, either. His cult of personality was always a mystery to me. Not just from fans, either. GMR (a magazine that used to be distributed by EB Games pre-GameStop merger) was particularly crazy for him in a way that was bizarre then and has only gotten more embarrassing with time. He was also one of the few Japanese devs that was publicly in support of developing Xbox exclusive titles, but then he'd turn around and insult work being done to port Sigma to the PS3 and weird shit like that.

That his last gasp of AAA development was the slipshod, nearly cancelled Devil's Third, which only released by the graces of a Nintendo desperate for Wii U content, says a lot about how he killed his own career.

It really is kind of like an Icarus story...only he peaked with his first big game and everything after that was just a downslide into despair.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
When I think Marvel Ultimate Alliance (or the X-Men Legend games) what immediately comes to mind are large maps to traverse filled with lot of stuff you can smash (like equipment, or even the walls) and things to pick up and throw for the stronger characters. Honestly, the smashing of walls and random stuff in the levels was some of my favorite stuff to do in those games, just felt super satisfying.

So far I'm not seeing a lot of that from the trailer or those two new screenshots which is a little worrying (hope it hasn't been dumbed down to be a co-op beat-em up in empty wide open environments and nothing else), but I feel like they wouldn't have called this Ultimate Alliance 3 if it wasn't going to have Diablo-style dungeon crawling, equipable loot, and plenty of stuff to smash (at least I hope so).

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
The press release says Dozens of playable characters (which means 36 up)
There is no way that's the final roster:
-They absolutely wouldn't add an X-Mansion stage and Sentinels to the game to have only Wolverine be playable
-No way they would lean so hard on a MCU roster like this without Black Panter and Dr. Strange
-No way they would leave Deadpool behind, even more so that they are pushing for PG rated Deadpool in the movies, plus he was iconic in both MUA1 and MUA2, going as far as having a Boss fight in MUA2 before he becomes playable.

I didn't catch the dozens of characters p point. And I also didn't notice the absence of Black Panther. At a glance it seemed very similar to the roster of Marvel Power's United VR, but those are key absences you highlight. Thanks for the responses.

This looks really rough to me.

BrandoBoySP

Oct 27, 2017
That would be cool, but i'll be just happy if the cast rivals MUA 1, we already saw in the trailer the stages will rival MUA1, since we already saw a decent variety of enemies from all parts of the Marvel universe, MUA 2 shitted the bed by being set entirely in earth and mostly on America.

Loved that Wolverine's only reason for being in the trailer fighting Sentinels was "look, this game will have X-men characters, we promise!"

Hopefully the cast will be large. The LEGO games and mobile games have both had huge casts, so I'm hopeful.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Hunh I just realized this is it for I for for now, till what Nintendo's new year direct? Which is likely next month since the only first party game coming out next year that I know of with a release date is nsmbudx. Hunh well guess I'll have to look forward to a more in depth look then

Maximum Spider

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Cleveland, OH
I imagine Deadpool, Black Panther and Captain Marvel are locks.

I just hope Cyclops make it in. He was done dirty in MUA2. Relegated to the horrible Wii port with a model ripped from X-Men Legends 2.

Maximum Spider

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Cleveland, OH
MUA had a large roster but half the characters were no fun to use. Blade, Ghost Rider, Luke Cage, Spider-Woman and Elektra all kinda sucked in that game.

The villains were a lot of fun, though. Sabertooth was oddly fun to use.

May 5, 2018
Man, Marvel sure has an interesting plan with their games being exclusive to certain consoles. PS4 gets Spider-Man, Switch gets MUA3. What will the XBOX1 get an X-Men game?

But for real this was a huge surprise and the fact that Koei-Tecmo is developing this with Nintendo publishing is even more shocking. Hope it turns out well.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
It's pretty crazy.
Good if this game somehow wouldn't exist without Nintendo but no matter how good it is, I will never not think about how good it could look on a Pro or X.
But damn, it's already bought.

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
Marvel Games' default artstyle foibles keep coming through. It seems only Marvel's Spider-Man got through unscathed by sheer virtue of being developed by people with the interest and the clout to actually have a visual identity. I mean the proportions aren't as horrible as Contest of Champions, Strike Force, or Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite; honestly it's more comparable to a cleaner Future Fight; but they still strike me as... generic?

Still the Ultimate Alliance and X-Men: Legends games were always some of my favourite games. If I wasn't done with Marvel Games, I'd buy this in a heart beat.

Like, these look rough. I mean, the series was never a looker, and honestly this looks better than the series ever looked probably... in gameplay at least. The earlier games had some pretty amazing CGI cutscenes for their time, which this... doesn't seem to have.

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
So, analysing the trailer now: seems the initial Guardians vs Black order encounter happens... in a Kree space station? They might not be the same scenes, but the gameplay interspersed between the cutscenes feature Kree soldiers as enemies. Rocket & Groot seem to be a single character, Ronan the Accuser appears to be the boss of the area.

Tony is seen suiting up in what is presumably Avengers tower (it has the visual style of Avengers tower in most recent cartoons and games). Ultron has the Mind stone on some New York rooftop, perhaps even the Avengers Tower landing pad? Gameplay later shows Hulk fighting Ultron bots within Avengers tower so probably. Voice over here appears to be by Ultron himself. I think that's the same VA from recent games and cartoons, though it's hard to tell without the voice modulation he normally has... Neoxon might know.

Cut to gameplay in the Raft, seemingly prisoners have escaped (again...). Here we have two little cutscenes with Cap, Thor and Hulk that appear to be in an area covered in sand, perhaps within the Raft itself since we see Sandman rise with guard towers in the background, while he talks to Spider-Man, who is shown assaulting non-violent escapee prisoners like the menace that he is. Sandman appears to be the boss of the area, we see the GotG + Spider-Man fighting him.

We then see Spider-Man fighting Hand ninja in what appears to be a Japanese style garden. And some more gamplay clips of Ultron's attack. The sentinel attack is in Xavier's mansion. We then get quick cuts of Ronan, Kingpin with a glowing purple scepter (the power stone?), Nebula leading the Kree soldiers, Green Goblin with the Time Stone, a robot that for the life of me I can't identify, Thor fighting Ultron bots in the Avengers helipad, the Black Order invading Xavier's school, obtaining the soulstone in a green glowing place, in a cyber cityscape and a space wasteland.

Nick Fury's voice is the painfully generic one they've been using recently as well. Stop trying to make Inhumans happen, Marvel. Scarlet Wtich's design is neat tho.

Gunslinger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope it's good and not a mess like mvci and focred MCU advertising. My switch will finally stop collecting dust. Ok just saw the trailer and yep it has the same disastrous vibe of mvci.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
So, analysing the trailer now: seems the initial Guardians vs Black order encounter happens... in a Kree space station? They might not be the same scenes, but the gameplay interspersed between the cutscenes feature Kree soldiers as enemies. Rocket & Groot seem to be a single character, Ronan the Accuser appears to be the boss of the area.

Tony is seen suiting up in what is presumably Avengers tower (it has the visual style of Avengers tower in most recent cartoons and games). Ultron has the Mind stone on some New York rooftop, perhaps even the Avengers Tower landing pad? Gameplay later shows Hulk fighting Ultron bots within Avengers tower so probably. Voice over here appears to be by Ultron himself. I think that's the same VA from recent games and cartoons, though it's hard to tell without the voice modulation he normally has... Neoxon might know.

Cut to gameplay in the Raft, seemingly prisoners have escaped (again...). Here we have two little cutscenes with Cap, Thor and Hulk that appear to be in an area covered in sand, perhaps within the Raft itself since we see Sandman rise with guard towers in the background, while he talks to Spider-Man, who is shown assaulting non-violent escapee prisoners like the menace that he is. Sandman appears to be the boss of the area, we see the GotG + Spider-Man fighting him.

We then see Spider-Man fighting Hand ninja in what appears to be a Japanese style garden. And some more gamplay clips of Ultron's attack. The sentinel attack is in Xavier's mansion. We then get quick cuts of Ronan, Kingpin with a glowing purple scepter (the power stone?), Nebula leading the Kree soldiers, Green Goblin with the Time Stone, a robot that for the life of me I can't identify, Thor fighting Ultron bots in the Avengers helipad, the Black Order invading Xavier's school, obtaining the soulstone in a green glowing place, in a cyber cityscape and a space wasteland.

Nick Fury's voice is the painfully generic one they've been using recently as well. Stop trying to make Inhumans happen, Marvel. Scarlet Wtich's design is neat tho.
Yeah, that sounds like Ultron's Avengers Assemble/MvCI VA.....minus the filter.

Luke_wal

Oct 25, 2017
Is it just me, or do these look like the same character models as in Future Fight to anybody else?

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Is it just me, or do these look like the same character models as in Future Fight to anybody else?

They definitely look like mobile models. My thought process was really wary during the reveal.
  1. "Oh, Telltale's Guardians of the Galaxy is going to Switch? I guess that is surprising, given that they shut down."
  2. "Wait, this doesn't seem to be Guardians. Some mobile port, maybe?
  3. "ULTIMATE ALLIANCE THREE? WOO!"
Hopefully the lack of model fidelity means they can easily do a bunch of costumes.

Maximum Spider

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Marvel Games' default artstyle foibles keep coming through. It seems only Marvel's Spider-Man got through unscathed by sheer virtue of being developed by people with the interest and the clout to actually have a visual identity. I mean the proportions aren't as horrible as Contest of Champions, Strike Force, or Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite; honestly it's more comparable to a cleaner Future Fight; but they still strike me as... generic?

Still the Ultimate Alliance and X-Men: Legends games were always some of my favourite games. If I wasn't done with Marvel Games, I'd buy this in a heart beat.

Like, these look rough. I mean, the series was never a looker, and honestly this looks better than the series ever looked probably... in gameplay at least. The earlier games had some pretty amazing CGI cutscenes for their time, which this... doesn't seem to have.
It is a little annoying that Marvel doesn't seems to take any chances visually. Everything is so paint by numbers.

But like you said, Ultimate Alliance was never visual marvel and they barely made any attempt to have their own art style.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
MCU costumes are practically a lock. I can imagine this launching Summer to coincide with A4

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
Looks good in the screenshots - and isometric...phew!

Maximum Spider

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Hope we get some classic costumes. Not a fan of Marvel MCU-inspired costumes. Those kinda of details don't really translate as well to cartoons and comics.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017

It's ultimo, he's a series staple if I remember right

Also Lockjaw and Crystal should be fun, teleportation and elemental generation make for fun movesets

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
Seems I won't be playing it, since it's exclusive. A shame, I loved the PS2 one to death. Cool that this exists tho. There need to be more of these games.

Jovo

Oct 25, 2017
It looks like a mobile game, extremely low budget. Why would you want to play this?

The art style is almost as bad as Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite.

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
Team Ninja and Omega Force worked together on Hyrule and Fire Emblem Warriors. They were cross-studio efforts. The Nioh team is working on Nioh 2.

Whoever within Team Ninja is working on MUA3, it's not the combined FEW dev team nor the Nioh team.

Couldn't it be the FEW and HW team without Omega?

That doesn't sound too good though. Dunno how big and resource heavy Team Ninja actually is.

Moves

Oct 27, 2017
I get to play a Marvel Ultimate Alliance game being developed by team ninja with local multiplayer. This is very exciting.

Edit: above post does concern me though

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Couldn't it be the FEW and HW team without Omega?

That doesn't sound too good though. Dunno how big and resource heavy Team Ninja actually is.
Omega Force are the core Warriors developers. Without their side, there is now HW or FEW.

Also, as someone else noted earlier in the thread, KT's most recent reorganization expanded Team Ninja to the point that they encompass all of the former stand-alone Tecmo.

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
It looks like a mobile game, extremely low budget. Why would you want to play this?

The art style is almost as bad as Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite.

I think using "mobile game" as a way to dismiss a game is a bit unfair. Marvel Future Fight, which is probably a competitor to this in some way, still looks great after 3 years on the market, and every single month comes out with new uniforms and character to add to the roster.

Sure this might be just art, but it is nice, well detailed....

jeehyung-lee-luna-snow.jpg

....and it looks good in game too.

4ClGi82.jpg

MU3 kinda looks like blobs of colour - anothing has depth. It looks really strange.