• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
We also have to consider that they are starting from scratch essentially so we probably cant expect the world in terms of roster
Original game had 16 story plus 9 optional unlockable for 25 so out of the box the roster is already bigger than the original (there were 11 additional characters between psp and 360 bonus/ dlc characters but they weren't at launch). So odds are it'll have more than the original games base and possibly even meet the final number of 36 as that's 3 dozen and dozens implies over 30 plus who knows if they'll throw in playable villains. Also with the games straightforward style implies a bigger roster

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
wonder if there will be DLC for this game. given it's a licensed game, Marvel might have stipulations for some things

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Since this game isn't too graphics-intensive even as far as the Switch goes, I'm hoping that Team Ninja and Marvel Games go balls to the wall with the roster size/alternate costumes
Can't be too much to ask

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Since this game isn't too graphics-intensive even as far as the Switch goes, I'm hoping that Team Ninja and Marvel Games go balls to the wall with the roster size/alternate costumes
Can't be too much to ask
well with a Japanese dev team we could get some fun deep dives/ unusual pics like say some of marvels japanese heroes for unlocks like say Silver Samurai or Sunfire..... altough probably not the full original big hero 6
220px-Sunfire_%26_Big_Hero_6_No.1.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully all the money they arent spending on the graphics or framerate goes to a lot more characters being playable, Im talking smash numbers or more.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Kid Kaiju could be cool

5808945-01.jpg
Summoner would be unique.

A big question is will regular sized bosses be playable this time around? Nebula, Green Goblin and even Ultron would be doable as regular characters.
Also we're currently at 16(Groot and Rocket are a 2 in 1) playable characters revealed and we've been promised dozens which would hopefully lean towards more than 36. We'll handily beat the originals 25 especially if we get playable villains. I imagine we'll get over 25 revealed prerelease then we could still get another 10 or so optional unlockable characters in game that are hidden or not elaborated on pre release

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I believe this is a killer app.

They seem to have executed very well and seeing the X-Men back is pretty big.

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017
If I had to predict the roster, I'd say...
  • Avengers
    • Iron Man (confirmed)
    • Captain America (confirmed)
    • Hulk (confirmed)
    • Black Widow (confirmed)
    • Scarlet Witch (confirmed)
    • Falcon (confirmed)
    • Nick Fury (confirmed)
    • Vision (confirmed)
    • Ultron (shown, but unsure if playable)
    • Hawkeye
    • Captain Marvel
    • Ms. Marvel
    • Squirrel Girl
    • She-Hulk
    • Ant-Man
    • Wasp
    • Moon Knight
    • Black Panther
      • Black Panther
      • Shuri
      • Okoye
      • M'Baku
      • Killmonger
      • Klaw
    • Thor
      • Thor (confirmed)
      • Loki
      • Hela
      • Valkyrie
      • Enchantress
      • Skurge
      • Korg
  • Defenders/Marvel Knights
    • Daredevil
    • Iron Fist
    • Jessica Jones
    • Luke Cage
    • Misty Knight
    • Colleen Wing
    • Kingpin
    • Elektra
    • Ghost Rider
      • Johnny Blaze
      • Robbie Reyes
    • Blade
  • Guardians of the Galaxy
    • Star-Lord (confirmed)
    • Rocket Raccoon (confirmed)
    • Groot (confirmed)
    • Gamora (confirmed)
    • Drax (confirmed)
    • Nebula (shown, but unsure if playable)
    • Ronan (shown, but unsure if playable)
    • Mantis
    • Adam Warlock
    • Yondu
    • Nova
      • Richard Rider
      • Sam Alexander
  • Black Order
    • Thanos (shown, but unsure if playable)
    • Ebony Maw (shown, but unsure if playable)
    • Proxima Midnight (shown, but unsure if playable)
    • Black Dwarf/Cull Obsidian (shown, but unsure if playable)
    • Corvus Glaive (shown, but unsure if playable)
    • Supergiant (shown, but unsure if playable)
  • Spider-Man
    • Spider-Man (confirmed)
    • Green Goblin (shown, but unsure if playable)
    • Sandman (shown, but unsure if playable)
    • Venom
    • Doctor Octopus
    • Carnage
    • Miles Morales
    • Spider-Gwen
  • Doctor Strange
    • Doctor Strange
    • Wong
    • Baron Mordo
    • Dormammu
  • X-Men
    • Wolverine (confirmed)
    • Cyclops
    • Storm
    • Magneto
    • Rogue
    • Nightcrawler
    • Jean Grey/Phoenix
    • Iceman
    • Deadpool
    • Cable
  • Inhumans
    • Crystal (confirmed)
    • Lockjaw (confirmed)
    • Black Bolt
    • Medusa
    • Karnak
    • Quake
    • Inferno
    • Moon Girl & Devil Dinosaur
  • Fantastic Four
    • Mr. Fantastic
    • Invisible Woman
    • Human Torch
    • The Thing
    • Doctor Doom
    • Super-Skrull
Did I miss anyone?

Are you guessing that all of those characters will be playable? That roster seems incredibly large if so. Is there a precedent or evidence to suggest it'll be that big?

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
This was the surprise of the show for me. If this can reach the quality of X-Men Legends 2 and UA1......oh boy. God I loved those games.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
people are underestimating this game. with Nintendo's marketing weight and the hype from Avengers 4 (or the dvd release), it's gonna be an easy multimillion seller
Yeah, i think so. It's bound to be huge with kids.

Honestly, this is the kind of game one should consider doing toys-to-life for. High quality figures with this aesthetic and the ability to save hero data to them and bundle character DLC with new figures.

Like, You can buy the digital character DLC for $4.99 but you get a code in the box with the $15 figure. If it's a figure of a character already in the game you get a code for a skin.

And it's not like they need a new toy line. Nintendo x Marvel Amiibo.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Looks a bit rough but they still have time to polish it up and gameplay should hopefully be tight with Team Ninja involved.

This and Bayonetta 3 will hopefully make good number 3s in 2019 in their respective franchises.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, this is the kind of game one should consider doing toys-to-life for. High quality figures with this aesthetic and the ability to save hero data to them and bundle character DLC with new figures.

Like, You can buy the digital character DLC for $4.99 but you get a code in the box with the $15 figure. If it's a figure of a character already in the game you get a code for a skin.

I have to disagree. Toys to life should just go away at this point. Even Disney Infinity closed up shop. If Disney characters can't sustain the business model, it's a dead end. I think Amiibo are something entirely unique and any attempt to duplicate that is going to fail.

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
I have to disagree. Toys to life should just go away at this point. Even Disney Infinity closed up shop. If Disney characters can't sustain the business model, it's a dead end. I think Amiibo are something entirely unique and any attempt to duplicate that is going to fail.
Exactly. That's why there should be Marvel Amiibo. It could be the next Smash.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how late production started when they were given the go ahead to use the X-Men. I'm just assuming since Wolverine is all by his lonesome self. Hope their story portion isn't shooed-in.

Really hope some combination of cameos from Link, Samus, Captain Falcon, Pit, and Palutena makes its way.
I'd rather see a separate Mario/Nintendo ARPG than cameos in this game. Doesn't seem like the right setting for them considering they are not part of the Marvel universe.

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
Samus and various Metroid related characters would make the best fit for Nintendo cameos, especially considering the game's story will lean on cosmic Marvel. Captain Falcon would be a nice bonus. Starfox would be kind of cool, but I feel that Starlink happening took that opportunity away.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is an easy multimillion seller and potentially system-selling game that will likely cost practically nothing apart from negotiating the rights and will help both Nintendo to sell Switches and Koei Tecmo to finally have a breakout hit in the west.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't followed the news. Is there a reason for this exclusivity? I mean, a game like Bayonetta needed support and Nintendo did that, but Marvel Ultimate Alliance...?

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I haven't followed the news. Is there a reason for this exclusivity? I mean, a game like Bayonetta needed support and Nintendo did that, but Marvel Ultimate Alliance...?
It hasn't had a series entry in 10 years, and that last one didn't do great.

Marvel makes bank off Future Fight/other mobile games and thus has no incentive to revitalise the MUA brand when there's similar mobile games that fulfill the same niche for more money.

It works brilliantly with Switch's "local multiplayer everywhere" ideal, and Nintendo can exploit the currently Marvel popularity reaching its zenith.

So yeah, makes total sense to me.

Samus and various Metroid related characters would make the best fit for Nintendo cameos, especially considering the game's story will lean on cosmic Marvel. Captain Falcon would be a nice bonus. Starfox would be kind of cool, but I feel that Starlink happening took that opportunity away.
Funnily enough Link and Samus were meant to be cameo characters in the Wii version of MUA1, but Marvel said no at the last minute. You can actually find videos of playable Samus running on the PS2 version. Would be kind of neat to see that come full circle.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Marvel makes bank off Future Fight/other mobile games and thus has no incentive to revitalise the MUA brand when there's similar mobile games that fulfill the same niche for more money.

It works brilliantly with Switch's "local multiplayer everywhere" ideal, and Nintendo can exploit the currently Marvel popularity reaching its zenith.

You're right.
Really loved 1&2 and MUA3 (alongside other games) makes me want a Switch so bad!

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
The art style looks like MvCI but done in the Fire Emblem Warriors engine. It's like a brighter X-Men Legends.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
It's not like these games are primarily meant to be played from the top down and you'll hardly ever be seeing the models in high detail... or that there's 4 human players creating explosions and fighting multiple enemies at one time...

No idea why they'd value overall graphical competence over high quality models. None whatsoever.

ucanadam

Alt account
Banned
Dec 6, 2018

Funnily enough Link and Samus were meant to be cameo characters in the Wii version of MUA1, but Marvel said no at the last minute. You can actually find videos of playable Samus running on the PS2 version. Would be kind of neat to see that come full circle.

They were said no because Miyamoto thought its disrespectful they demoed on Ps2. True facts lol

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
It's not like these games are primarily meant to be played from the top down and you'll hardly ever be seeing the models in high detail... or that there's 4 human players creating explosions and fighting multiple enemies at one time...

No idea why they'd value overall graphical competence over high quality models. None whatsoever.
Exactly you streamline the models so you can put in tons of characters and models

In fact the other thing to consider this is also the one Marvel series that was always about gameplay and content over graphics which fits into Nintendo's mo pretty dang well. That and a team that specializes in character action games and fighting games is kinda the perfect fit
Definitely hope we get a major breakdown in the next direct(which should be next month)

ImaPlayThis

Oct 26, 2017
surprisingly I think this might be the hypest game announcement at TGA for me, I loved X-men Legends to the point I was doing a 100% run in x-men legends 2 for the billionth time and Ultimate alliance games were okay.

I really hope it plays more like the x-men legends games than UA, like if passive skills/boosts are tied to costumes again it could be a deal breaker for me personally