• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
Are we SURE this is a Nintendo exclusive?

This isnt a SMT5 or Persona situation. What most likely happend is that Marvel went to Nintendo and pitched to them a marvel game, and this resulted, just like Spiderman and Sony
Well it says it's exclusively coming out on the Nintendo Switch, so yes?

GuEiMiRrIRoW

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I haven't followed the news. Is there a reason for this exclusivity? I mean, a game like Bayonetta needed support and Nintendo did that, but Marvel Ultimate Alliance...?

Amiibo? Maybe? I have a feeling nintendo offered the idea of selling toys, but demanded exclusivity. Marvel knows they will make more money selling toys than games. 1 person can buy 5 toys but only one game... a fan could easily buy the amiibo but no game.

Nintendo could find another reason to keep printing amiibos and marvel is the strongest brand in the world right now.

How much would you pay for a spiderman amiibo?

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Well it says it's exclusively coming out on the Nintendo Switch, so yes?

Nintendo is publishing so assume it's a full exclusive.

Eh, i must remember that Bloodborne memes from the old site are not necessarily going to be known here lol

I dont think people have to worry about team ninja. We know that they have two main teams with ninja gaide/nioh and dead or alive and beyond that are smaller projects with smaller teams and helping other studios, but nintendo and marvel are paying for this game, so expecting them to not do their best with it is not right.

Last edited:

EAD Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't followed the news. Is there a reason for this exclusivity? I mean, a game like Bayonetta needed support and Nintendo did that, but Marvel Ultimate Alliance...?

I think Marvel themselves is approaching the first-party publishers and pushing for quality exclusive games. Marvel went with SIE/Insomniac and now Nintendo/Team Ninja.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder why Black Panther wasn't in the trailer. It would shock me if he wasn't in the game.

Oct 27, 2017
This game is gonna get ported to other systems around the same time Spider Man PS4 gets ported to other platforms.

Seriously, why do people accept one games exclusivity but not another's?

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I think Marvel themselves is approaching the first-party publishers and pushing for quality exclusive games. Marvel went with SIE/Insomniac and now Nintendo/Team Ninja.
The question I have is how the MUA IP changed hands here. Did Activision lose the rights to the MUA series entirely when their deal expired, or did someone have to pay Activision for the name? And who owns MUA 1&2 at this point?

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Since we have some character possibility discussion going on I thought I'd bring up the original game's roster as honestly even with mcu synergy most of these characters are relevant and major on the comic/ cartoon side so let's start with the base primary release version
Avengers

1. Captain America
  2. Iron Man
  3. Spider-Man
  4. Nick Fury
  5. Thor
  6. Spider-Woman
  7. (Captain )Ms Marvel
  8. Dr Stange
  9. Black Panther
X-Men

1. Wolverine
  2. Iceman
  3. Storm
  4. Deadpool
  5. Colossus
Marvel Knights

1. Daredevil
  2. Elektra
  3. Luke Cage
  4. Moon Knight
  5. Blade
  6. Ghost Rider
Fantastic Four

1. Mr Fantastic
  2. Invisible Woman
  3. Thing
  4. Human Torch
  5. Silver Surfer
Funny thing is outside of the fantastic four and X-men I'd say most of the characters are even more prominent and likely, although I'd say anyone in the original roster could totally pop up here. Oh and for those of you who say wait wasn't so and so in the game, here's the dlc/version exclusive
Added in 360 version via Dlc
  1. Hulk
  2. Nightcrawler
  3. Hawkeye
  4. Cyclops
  5. Dr Doom
  6. Magneto
  7. Sabertooth
  8. Venom
PSP exclusives
  1. Captain Marvel(the alien one)
  2. Hawkeye
  3. Black Widow
  4. Ronin
Also I didn't list costume only characters like war machine and beta ray bill

Thought this could lead to some fun discussion. Personally I'm expecting Antman and the Wasp, but I'm really hoping to see Quake, Ghost Rider and Son of Coul for more tangentially mcu character justification. As for straight up comic characters Namor and Devil Dinosaur would be awesome. Oh and Squirrel Girl and Nova of course

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The question I have is how the MUA IP changed hands here. Did Activision lose the rights to the MUA series entirely when their deal expired, or did someone have to pay Activision for the name? And who owns MUA 1&2 at this point?
I figure Marvel has rights to any names made for the game (including title), but the code itself is owned by Activision.

NicknameMy

Banned
Mar 14, 2018
Every day Pachter seems to get smaller and smaller, I nearly can't see him anymore, I can only hear him crying a little bit.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
We have no X-men announced outside of Wolverine and the x mansion shown along with the confirmation they are in. If this follows the trend of the original game Avengers will get the focus(we're at what 9 already ) then other teams will get 4-6 characters usually iconic or main ones with Guardians confirming this( at 4 with drax, star lord, Gamora and Groot & Rocket combo character). The other two currently teased groups are Inhumans(Crystal and Lockjaw. Ms Marvel, Black Bolt, Devil Dinosaur & Moon Girland Quake are other likely possibilities) and X-men(Wolverine, classic Blue team would be possible.)

As for unannounced but hinted at subgroups, Kingpin and the Foot Ninjas point at Marvel Knights(daredevil, Ghost Rider, Luke Cage, Moon Knight, etc). I wouldn't rule out say New Champions(Ms Marvel, Nova) or Thunderbolts. fantastic Four are up in the air for now

{Marvelous}

Jan 2, 2018
I went back and forth on it but I think this looks okay. Very colourful, distinct. 60fps would really make it pop.

NicknameMy

Banned
Mar 14, 2018
Watching multiple youtube reactions to this Video, this game seems to be a possible system seller for the Switch at a new market. Your thoughts about the potential of this game moving many Switch units? (and because of that also more evergreen titles, cuz if you get a Switch, why not buy them as well)

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Watching multiple youtube reactions to this Video, this game seems to be a possible system seller for the Switch at a new market. Your thoughts about the potential of this game moving many Switch units? (and because of that also more evergreen titles, cuz if you get a Switch, why not buy them as well)

It's a multiplayer game about the Avengers and Guardians fighting Thanos and his minions coming out the same year as Avengers 4. It's probably going to be pretty big.

Plum

May 31, 2018
It's a multiplayer game about the Avengers and Guardians fighting Thanos and his minions coming out the same year as Avengers 4. It's probably going to be pretty big.

That's a shout, this game is most definitely going to have trailers/adverts played before Captain Marvel, Avengers: End Game and Spiderman: Far From Home (if that comes out in 2019). The boost that'll give the game and the Switch will be immense.

It does kind of depend on when it comes out; the 'big' Avengers project might be out next year and that would likely overshadow this if the releases overlapped. I can't see the parties involved wanting that, though, and I doubt the Avengers project is going to come out in 2019 anyway.

truly101

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm assuming they'd have Spider-Gwen and Squirrel Girl since they are pretty popular with Marvel fans.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
It hasn't had a series entry in 10 years, and that last one didn't do great.

Marvel makes bank off Future Fight/other mobile games and thus has no incentive to revitalise the MUA brand when there's similar mobile games that fulfill the same niche for more money.

It works brilliantly with Switch's "local multiplayer everywhere" ideal, and Nintendo can exploit the currently Marvel popularity reaching its zenith.

So yeah, makes total sense to me.

Funnily enough Link and Samus were meant to be cameo characters in the Wii version of MUA1, but Marvel said no at the last minute. You can actually find videos of playable Samus running on the PS2 version. Would be kind of neat to see that come full circle.

Seeing Samus with PlayStation button prompts is nutty.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
any chance of Jessica Jones and Luke Cage getting in this?
Cage was in the original. Jessica Jones strikes me as npc material she doesn't really bring anything to this type of game as playable. I think if we get marvel knights/defenders in then we'll definit get Luke Cage, Moon Knight, Blade, Elektra and Ghost Rider back, and Iron Fist as the newcomer.

I think we'll get a much better look at the scope of the roster in the January direct(even if I hope for the return of hidden optional characters found via side quests)

NicknameMy

Banned
Mar 14, 2018
That's a shout, this game is most definitely going to have trailers/adverts played before Captain Marvel, Avengers: End Game and Spiderman: Far From Home (if that comes out in 2019). The boost that'll give the game and the Switch will be immense.

It does kind of depend on when it comes out; the 'big' Avengers project might be out next year and that would likely overshadow this if the releases overlapped. I can't see the parties involved wanting that, though, and I doubt the Avengers project is going to come out in 2019 anyway.

If this thing explodes in terms of sales and consoles moved I could see the Switch getting to 30 million units in the next fiscal year alone, especially with the already stacked 2019 lineup. Nintendo being pushed by the movie industry is a scary combination.

Jtrizzy

Nov 13, 2017
I'll probably still buy this, but the art style and graphics look terrible. The old games look better than this imo. Pretty disappointed they went with the cel shaded look :(

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I'll probably still buy this, but the art style and graphics look terrible. The old games look better than this imo. Pretty disappointed they went with the cel shaded look :(
That's the nostalgia talking, the original game had cel shading too and the new game looks much better and cleaner from an art perspective even if on the more streamlined style
This is what the original game looked like
MV5BNzExNWJkY2MtNDgzYy00MzNiLTk2NjMtNzcwYjMzZGI3Y2Q0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjgwNzg0MzY@._V1_.jpg

Marvel%20Ultimate%20Alliance_0623e048cd813b08e926d6c3a2918a5c1433403397-full.png

Please remember most of the game you are zoomed out watching the character in action with tons of explosions and particle effects going on
Edit sorry that's the ps2 version(which I grew up with) here's the 360 version
MV5BOTQxNjc4YzMtMGVjYS00Yjg2LWI5MzEtZDAyYTliZjA2NTU1L2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjgwNzg0MzY@._V1_.jpg

However that still doesn't look as good as the new game which is a major improvement
MUA_1.jpg

Last edited:

Jtrizzy

Nov 13, 2017
Are you sure the camera is going to be zoomed out? It looks like they they are going with an over the shoulder camera for this.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's the nostalgia talking, the original game had cel shading too and the new game looks much better and cleaner from an art perspective even if on the more streamlined style
This is what the original game looked like
MV5BNzExNWJkY2MtNDgzYy00MzNiLTk2NjMtNzcwYjMzZGI3Y2Q0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjgwNzg0MzY@._V1_.jpg

Marvel%20Ultimate%20Alliance_0623e048cd813b08e926d6c3a2918a5c1433403397-full.png

Please remember most of the game you are zoomed out watching the character in action with tons of explosions and particle effects going on
Edit sorry that's the ps2 version(which I grew up with) here's the 360 version
MV5BOTQxNjc4YzMtMGVjYS00Yjg2LWI5MzEtZDAyYTliZjA2NTU1L2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjgwNzg0MzY@._V1_.jpg

However that still doesn't look as good as the new game which is a major improvement
MUA_1.jpg
They really need to stop reusing that damn Gamora model, the outfit doesn't make sense out of the context it debuted in.