• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

NicknameMy

Banned
Mar 14, 2018
I'll probably still buy this, but the art style and graphics look terrible. The old games look better than this imo. Pretty disappointed they went with the cel shaded look :(

I would actually say, Cell Shaded graphics are the best for video games, as they actually focus mostly on enhancing the already existing gameplay and aren't being used to hide bad gameplay. Also, Cell Shaded graphics age a ton better than realistic art styles.

All in all, Cell Shaded graphics focus on the game aspect of video games, while realistic graphics focus on the video part. I am here mostly for the game part, not the video part.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
I'd say Marvel Heroes is an apt game to compare it to somewhat. It was a spiritual successor to UA after all, using tons of the same abilities as jumping off points.

ImaPlayThis

Oct 26, 2017
That's the nostalgia talking, the original game had cel shading too and the new game looks much better and cleaner from an art perspective even if on the more streamlined style
This is what the original game looked like
MV5BNzExNWJkY2MtNDgzYy00MzNiLTk2NjMtNzcwYjMzZGI3Y2Q0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjgwNzg0MzY@._V1_.jpg

Marvel%20Ultimate%20Alliance_0623e048cd813b08e926d6c3a2918a5c1433403397-full.png

Please remember most of the game you are zoomed out watching the character in action with tons of explosions and particle effects going on
Edit sorry that's the ps2 version(which I grew up with) here's the 360 version
MV5BOTQxNjc4YzMtMGVjYS00Yjg2LWI5MzEtZDAyYTliZjA2NTU1L2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjgwNzg0MzY@._V1_.jpg

However that still doesn't look as good as the new game which is a major improvement
MUA_1.jpg

Oh i just noticed Scarlet Witch, now that's interesting how she plays because in the UA games her moves were all given to Doctor Strange and buffed incredibly, so interested to see how they make the two more unique

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
Despite Disney getting back the X-Men movie rights I don't expect any deep cuts. I think we'll just get the bare essential X-Men characters.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Despite Disney getting back the X-Men movie rights I don't expect any deep cuts. I think we'll just get the bare essential X-Men characters.
So on top of Wolverine and going off pre embargo games and general comic popularity here's a likely list note outside of the giant avengers lineup, most lineups traditionally are 4-6 characters(which the gotg follow)
  1. Jean Grey
  2. Storm
  3. Cyclops
  4. X-23
  5. Deadpool
  6. Colossus
  7. Iceman
Depending on if this is actually truly more of a comic pull than movie/tv, then Kitty Pride's Guardian ties and Beast'avengers ties shouldn't be underestimated

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Well it looks like the fantastic four game ban is over( thanks for pointing this out to me Neoxon
(Silver Surfer was tied to that ban)
Which bodes we'll for at least the fantastic four and silver surfer gettin in if only as unlockable characters on a roster this big. Question is did this happen early enough in development that doom made the cut

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
As far as I'm concerned, Nintendo won the Game Awards when it comes to game announcements. I was screaming while watching the teaser announcement. Better than an eventual announcement of the Squenix Avengers game to me.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Rewatching the trailer there's quite a few character teases. Biggest ones are Hand Ninja teasing Daredevil(if not marvel knights, but whenever the hand show up daredevil almost always show up), xmansion at standard X-men team. Oh and Ultimo is a huge tease since I'd you know anything about him it's that he's not a robot but more akin to a golem and is always summoned and controlled by magic users with the original and most common one being the Mandarin

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
This is an easy multimillion seller and potentially system-selling game that will likely cost practically nothing apart from negotiating the rights and will help both Nintendo to sell Switches and Koei Tecmo to finally have a breakout hit in the west.
Cost practically nothing? This will hopefully have a lengthy campaign + tons of playable characters & varied cast of villains & enemies they have to design, model, voice & animate. That doesn't come cheap, even if the graphics aren't top class.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cost practically nothing? This will hopefully have a lengthy campaign + tons of playable characters & varied cast of villains & enemies they have to design, model, voice & animate. That doesn't come cheap, even if the graphics aren't top class.

Compared to the cost of a common western game, it's definitely on the lower side.

above average

Banned
Apr 4, 2018

You know why you won't get any deep cut X-Men? Because it's an Ultimate Alliance game and not a flippin X-Men Legends game. Like seriously, how is this even something worth mentioning? Ultimate Alliance 1 didn't have any deep cut X-Men either, what was the conspiracy on that?

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Being serious, with the popularity of the characters, it is normal that the X-Men do not have as much proportion of characters as in old games.

7 or 8 seems like a good number. Formerly nobody knew the Guardians of the Galaxy and now they are superpopular, times change.

Jean Grey, Storm, Wolverine and Cyclops I would say they are the indispensable ones.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Hopefully Nintendo's saving the mutant deep cuts for X-Men Legends 3 in 2020.

Being serious, with the popularity of the characters, it is normal that the X-Men do not have as much proportion of characters as in old games.

7 or 8 seems like a good number. Formerly nobody knew the Guardians of the Galaxy and now they are superpopular, times change.

Jean Grey, Storm, Wolverine and Cyclops I would say they are the indispensable ones.
While yes probably around 7-8 would make sense for a MUA, I can also probably name around 30 X-Men who're more popular than the two confirmed Inhumans. Despite Ike's best efforts.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I think they should include a bunch of weirdos, instead of just the usual suspects.

Get Slapstick, Machine Man, Howard the Duck, or Terror in there, too.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017

Original marvel ultimate alliance only had 5 actually and x mania was still on going (Wolverine, Storm, Colossus, Deadpool and Iceman)

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
Original marvel ultimate alliance only had 5 actually and x mania was still on going (Wolverine, Storm, Colossus, Deadpool and Iceman)

To be fair, when MUA1 came out, the X-Men had an entire series worth of games for themselves, MUA1 was "what if the X-Men legends games had other marvel characters?".

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Hopefully Nintendo's saving the mutant deep cuts for X-Men Legends 3 in 2020.

While yes probably around 7-8 would make sense for a MUA, I can also probably name around 30 X-Men who're more popular than the two confirmed Inhumans. Despite Ike's best efforts.

I do not doubt it with Crystal but Lockjaw is incredibly popular thanks mostly to his appearances on Ms. Marvel

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
You know why you won't get any deep cut X-Men? Because it's an Ultimate Alliance game and not a flippin X-Men Legends game. Like seriously, how is this even something worth mentioning? Ultimate Alliance 1 didn't have any deep cut X-Men either, what was the conspiracy on that?
I'm well aware it's not an X-Men game, but a lot has changed since the first game. The X-Men haven't been in a major game for almost at least more than 5 years. This is for all intense and purposes their big comeback. Nothing is written in stone that Ultimate Alliance can't have a large selection of X-Men to choose. Also Calm yourself. You sound like an X-Men hater.

Last edited:

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I do not doubt it with Crystal but Lockjaw is incredibly popular thanks mostly to his appearances on Ms. Marvel
Even comics side the X-Books still dominate in sales along with Spidey and Star Wars. People massively overestimate the X-Men's "decline" but then that was the corporate plan for awhile.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This looks bad, like a cheap mobile game. At least mua 2 tried something new with a realistic art style, but this looks like a shovelware movie tie in game. NT are good devs, i'd be willing to bet that they didn't have a ton of time/budget with this one

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
This looks bad, like a cheap mobile game. At least mua 2 tried something new with a realistic art style, but this looks like a shovelware movie tie in game. NT are good devs, i'd be willing to bet that they didn't have a ton of time/budget with this one
Realistic art style is the worst for superhero games and we have very recent Marvel vs Capcom to witness it

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
This is Team Ninja of Koei Tecmo not Ninja Theory. Also the art style is clean which is very important for this type of games which has tons of characters and explosions on screen from a zoomed out perspective

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

The character models were never going to be hyper-detailed - MUA is more about lasers and explosions in all directions than it is about graphical horsepower. The important thing needs to be frame rate - if it chugs, it's going to feel awful to play.

above average

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
I'm well aware it's not an X-Men game, but a lot has changed since the first game. The X-Men haven't been in a major game for almost at least more than 5 years. This is for all intense and purposes their big comeback. Nothing is written in stone that Ultimate Alliance can't have a large selection of X-Men to choose. Also Calm yourself. You sound like an X-Men hater.

I'm not a comic reader so just about everything I knew about Marvel or DC pre movies was from the 90's cartoons which means *gasp* I actually would have preferred more X-Men in MUA1. My response to you had nothing to do with my preferences and everything to do with you saying something completely nonsensical. FYI it's "all intents and purposes"

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017

1) I don't think going realistic would have been a smart choice on Switch as it would immediately look dated compared to realistic looking games on PS4-XB1. This way the game will age better and it could guarantee better performance.

2) NT already used this art style with FEW on Switch, and it's clearly something Marvel likes.

3) MUA 1, the original cell shaded version looked and aged much better than the realistic one made by Vicarious imho. I personally like this artstyle.

In the end with those type of games it all comes down to the gameplay, this is not the Spider-man type of game where you just need to show how beautiful it looks, and then the gameplay is strictly linear.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not a comic reader so just about everything I knew about Marvel or DC pre movies was from the 90's cartoons which means *gasp* I actually would have preferred more X-Men in MUA1. My response to you had nothing to do with my preferences and everything to do with you saying something completely nonsensical. FYI it's "all intents and purposes"
I already said I'm not expecting a deep cut X-Men character in a game that typically features deep cuts. It could happen but I'm not betting on it. It's not nonsensical given the context of the recent absence of X-Men games.