• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
You are wrong. Again, is Spiderman not a first party PS4 game? Answer that question. Nintendo 100% considers any game they publish a first party game. the meanings of these terms got bastardized over the years when people starting using them as part of console warrior arguments and bullet points.

Spiderman is little weird, and I dont want to talk about Spiderman when we have examples for Switch.
So you telling me that games like Octopath Traveler, Daemon X Machina, Bayonetta 3 and this game, are all 1st party games, same like Zelda, Mario, Yoshi..? That dont make sense.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
damn, this was a surprise for sure. not my kinda game (don't really care for super heroes) but i hope it turns out well.

Spiderman is little weird, and I dont want to talk about Spiderman when we have examples for Switch.
So you telling me that games like Octopath Traveler, Daemon X Machina, Bayonetta 3 and this game, are all 1st party games, same like Zelda, Mario, Yoshi..? That dont make sense.
yes they are. first party means paid-for and published by the platform holder, this is published by nintendo. by your definition kirby, mario+luigi RPGs, fire emblem, all of those aren't first party either because they're made by studios that aren't owned by nintendo. when a platform holder pays for the development and publishes a game, it's a first party title.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, those are all first party games, at least in the west.

All four Gears of War releases last generation were Microsoft first party titles. And not only were they developed by an external company (Epic Games), MS didn't even own the IP.

Jaal

Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): History of Platform Warring, Account in Junior Phase
I don't get why there's people as mad as when Bayonetta 2 happened here.

We have Nintendo fans literally portbeg every game from the last 30 years, let people free to portbeg an ios look a like game like this, c'mon!

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Hopefully the relatively modest graphics should allow for 4 player local co op. Would be a real shame if the game missed out on it, and it almost definitely wouldn't be possible if Nintendo was trying to be cutting edge.

Sean Mirrsen

Banned
May 9, 2018
I can't pretend to even be able to make a guess as to who approached who in the making of this game, but I can easily see how the proposal for it would be greeted with open arms by both sides.

Nintendo gets a relatively high-profile 3rd-party IP game as an exclusive title for their console, especially coinciding with the Avengers movie next year. And Marvel/Disney/whoever holds the relevant licenses, get a new installment of that game series, for a fraction of the cost it would otherwise take, considering how the Switch doesn't need the Hollywood-sized budget for its graphics department that a PS4/5 game would need.

And if the game is a success, and demand for it is high for other platforms, the exclusivity deal doesn't prevent a 'remaster' of the game to be released a year later with better graphics.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017

Spiderman is only a "little weird" because it sort of blows your whole position out of the water. Its no different. What Im telling you that any game that Nintendo publishes is a first party game, same with Sony, same with Microsoft. The term refers to publishers. All this other stuff, all these caveats of "but is it exclusive! Timed or permanent? Do they own the IP? Were prior games multiple? Do they own he developer? is it really 2nd party then!?!?" were all created by enthusiasts as a way to feed into console war rhetoric. None of that stuff actually matters for any real purpose. The entire thing is actually very simple. Did a platform holder publish it? Yes, then it's first party. Did someone other than a platform holder publish it? Yes, okay then it's third party. That's it.

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
Stupid thought time -- any chance this game could support eight-player simultaneous co-op? Could you fit the controls on a single joycon?

TheSentry42

Nov 2, 2017
With Spider-Man on PS4 and now Marvel Alliance 3 exclusive to Nintendo Switch, am I crazy to think that Microsoft doesn't also have a Marvel Game also in the works?

alundra311

Oct 25, 2017
Awesome news!

Though I'm not a fan of the MCU inspired art style, I'm still gonna be looking forward to this.

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
completely out of left fields and I am so on board.

And can we get some blue/gold X-men colored joycons nintendo? :p

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
This announcement reeeaallly caught me by surprise. The Ultimate Alliance and X-Men Legends game we're my childhood. I never thought I'd see them come back, this is dope.

The graphics are kinda meh, and the gameplay looks pretty much the same as before, but with this being on switch, it makes up for it.

Oct 27, 2017
Why is everyone so shocked about the Switch getting an exclusive Marvel game? The PS4 got an exclusive Marvel game a few months ago?

Hage

Mar 15, 2018
AAAAAAARGHHH

YES! It looks s bit too much like Future Fight though... But still excited for this!

Jan 10, 2018
interview_metroid_keynote_24.jpg

So a game where it has stated and known from the beginning that Nintendo is involved in the development is your proof of what exactly?

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo, Team Ninja and Marvel sounds like a good combo, I never really got into the Ultimate Alliance games but I'll give this a shot it looks pretty cool.

Etain

Oct 25, 2017
Why is everyone so shocked about the Switch getting an exclusive Marvel game? The PS4 got an exclusive Marvel game a few months ago?
It's a surprising match. Microsoft? Sure, they seem like they'd do something like that. Sony? They have the Spider-Man film license, it actually seems like a logical extension to get the game rights even if that didn't happen for, uh, nearly two decades. Nintendo? Nintendo of all people get this comic license?

Then again they had GoldenEye back in the 90s, and Marvel probably did want to work with Nintendo. But there's still the extra element of putting out a sequel to a series they never published and don't have the developer for. I actually have started to wonder if Activision had plans for an MUA3, but it never got anywhere in the end and Marvel ended up shopping MUA3 around to get developed. Would explain getting MUA1&2 on current gen platforms, only to get them delisted anyway.

Last edited:

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
Spiderman is only a "little weird" because it sort of blows your whole position out of the water. Its no different. What Im telling you that any game that Nintendo publishes is a first party game, same with Sony, same with Microsoft. The term refers to publishers. All this other stuff, all these caveats of "but is it exclusive! Timed or permanent? Do they own the IP? Were prior games multiple? Do they own he developer? is it really 2nd party then!?!?" were all created by enthusiasts as a way to feed into console war rhetoric. None of that stuff actually matters for any real purpose. The entire thing is actually very simple. Did a platform holder publish it? Yes, then it's first party. Did someone other than a platform holder publish it? Yes, okay then it's third party. That's it.

So, Lego City on Wii U was published by Nintendo, so buy your definition its 1st party game, but same game few years later was released for PS4/XB1 despite it was 1st party game buy your point!?
I mean maybe we could have expect something like that from 3rd party IP thats developed buy 3rd party studio, but you can really expect something like that from games like Smash Bros, Zelda, Mario, Metroid...and thats a difference I talking about.
Maybe I am wrong, but when I say 1st party game I talking about own companies IP thats developed internally or externally, but when you have 3rd party IP developed externally I consider that for 3rd party game.

Kresnik

Oct 26, 2017
So I guess this is the big Western ip that they were teasing a couple of years ago?

On the one hand, team ninja can make a bit of a balls of IP's I love (Dissidia) and this doesn't look like the next gen leap forward I was hoping for.

On the flip side, myself and my SO loved the last two so I'm definitely gonna try this out.

Spikematic

Oct 28, 2017
Looks like it'll be a fun co-op experience with a ton of cool Marvel characters. Eager to see how it turns out. Having said that, if you had told me that was a mobile game I would've totally believed it.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
So, Lego City on Wii U was published by Nintendo, so buy your definition its 1st party game, but same game few years later was released for PS4/XB1 despite it was 1st party game buy your point!?
I mean maybe we could have expect something like that from 3rd party IP thats developed buy 3rd party studio, but you can really expect something like that from games like Smash Bros, Zelda, Mario, Metroid...and thats a difference I talking about.
Maybe I am wrong, but when I say 1st party game I talking about own companies IP thats developed internally or externally, but when you have 3rd party IP developed externally I consider that for 3rd party game.

Your problem is that you are attributing your own expectations and descriptors to first party that don't actually exist. To you it seems crazy that a first party could later end up on other platforms. But why? Why does a first party game have to be exclusive forever? Why does a first party game have to be developed in house? It's not that deep. You are wrong, no maybes about it. This kind of thing isn't really up for interpretation. Nintendo will consider this a first party game.

Deleted member 35071

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
i don't like art style. Nor do i trust team ninja to know what made MUA 1 so fun.
That said. Im excited for this series to return. Hopefully the roster is robust and the reveal was holding back a ton of characters.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Lego City Undercover on Wii U was a first party game, correct. Beyond Nintendo handling publishing duties, Satoru Iwata was the executive producer on that game. The fact that Lego City Undercover was a third party release on different platforms four years later doesn't change this.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
Your problem is that you are attributing your own expectations and descriptors to first party that don't actually exist. To you it seems crazy that a first party could later end up on other platforms. But why? Why does a first party game have to be exclusive forever? Why does a first party game have to be developed in house? It's not that deep. You are wrong, no maybes about it. This kind of thing isn't really up for interpretation. Nintendo will consider this a first party game.

Well, I can certainly say that Zelda, Smash, Mario, Metroid...100% want come to PS4/XB1, but I couldn't say same thing for Lego City or this game.
I mean if you dont see difference between situation when you have game with own companies IP thats developed internally or externally, compared to game thats 3rd party IP and developed by 3rd party team, I dont know what to tell you, because that difference I talking about.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Well, I can certainly say that Zelda, Smash, Mario, Metroid...100% want come to PS4/XB1, but I couldn't say same thing for Lego City or this game.
I mean if you dont see difference between situation when you have game with own companies IP thats developed internally or externally, compared to game thats 3rd party IP and developed by 3rd party team, I dont know what to tell you, because that difference I talking about.

There is no difference. Again, explain Spider-Man PS4 and try and reconcile that with what you are saying.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
So hyped for this. XML2 and MUA1 were my shit back in the day, dumped probably 100+ hours into both of them. They were basically console Diablo with Marvel characters. So much fun. Can't wait to come back to this series.

RedAhmed

Jan 9, 2018
Sorry if this was already posted, but what is this game? Looks kinda like a Marvel Musou, but with multiplayer and more diverse enemies?

asun

Nov 10, 2017
wow! looks pretty good! hopefully rocket raccoon will be fun to play with.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Did they specify whether or not this is going to be in the same game universe as Spider-Man and the Avengers affair Squeenix is doing?

Either way, when I get my Switch, I'm getting this. Cap better still have his Charging Stars move from the first two.