• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bikkun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
South Carolina, USA
Got bored so tried to find the equivalent trailer for the original game. Not that it's quite the same since you tended to have a teaser and a release trailer rather than the Nintendo cycle of reveal, direct elaborations and a launch trailer but I think this is close
And as much as I enjoyed the original this is looking better... they made art decisions that didn't age well
that dark color palette + bloom doesn't age well

Yeah, the game's still super fun (if difficult to play on Steam..) but the first one in particular didn't age terribly well. Like hey, remember when Ultimate was the hot thing and was used as the default for literally everything?

... sounds like something happening now, actually.

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
One thing that I hope Team Ninja brings back from the previous games is the ability for unique NPC dialogue based on what characters you have in your party

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
We're expecting this game to release around the time Avengers: Endgame hits theaters, right?

Brixx

Jan 26, 2018
I'd love to see more unique dialogue shared between NPC characters and those in your party. Having Cap exchange words with the Winter Soldier sticks out in my mind. That was one of the most charming aspects in the first game. Bring it back!

Also, I liked the quiz kiosk UA 1 had that questioned you on Marvel lore and rewarded you with XP. It encouraged you to communicate with other Marvel characters scattered throughout the game. Something similar that rewards you for getting to know the characters themselves, their world's, and their back strories would be welcoming.

Stuggatz

Jun 6, 2018
I just want it to play more like a musou than the old Alliance games, but I'll take anything Marvel that isn't a mobile game.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
We're expecting this game to release around the time Avengers: Endgame hits theaters, right?
It'd be surprising if it didn't. When Nintendo is publishing reveal to release can be quite short.

You know it's going to be interesting to see what other teams show up. We have guardians, avengers, x-men and inhumans (first time playable I think although attillain was a location in the first game). From the original game marvel knights are all but confirmed(kingpin and hand ninjas), Fantastic Four are in the air however their embargo did end publicly this month( and has likely been lifted for over 6)

As for new teams well since everybody says mcu synergy lets take a look for currently released or under development shows(I'm not going deep speculative till the next info drop though)
Marvel knights... don't need to say much here
Shield: obviously we have Nick Fury, but from the tv side Coulson and Quake are both popular, and comics wise you could throw in Jessica Drew(Spiderwoman) who has shown up previously
New Warriors(currently in development) if Squirrel Girl shows up it's probably with these guys and new avengers affiliation
Runaways... unlikely as in universe they don't show up in the bigger world till disbandment
Big Hero 6.... perhaps the original since it's one of marvels few Japanese super hero teams and has Silver Samurai. Plus it'd be a cool deep dive with the game being developed in Japan
Thunderbolts: had a decent presence in avengers assemble and are a fun varied team. Plus I want songbird back

New Fantastic Four: all we're missing is ghost rider and no way is he missing this shindig(it's a replacement team made of Wolverine, Spider-Man, Ghost Rider and Joe Fixit(Hulk))

Also really hope costumes are back, especially considering Koei tecmo

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Hopefully the Marvel licensing mess would be okay with Amiibo. The only similar products with the Marvel license were the Disney Infinity stuff and that really crappy plug-and-play system that I can't remember the name of. Both are now defunct.

Heck, if the rights are still somehow tied up they can do like Funko and add a slight tweak (their Marvel Pops are bobbleheads to get around someone else having the "action figure" license) to make it technically okay. Package some candy in or something, guys.

JJConrad

Nov 3, 2017
Amiibo functions seem likely, but a Marvel Amiibo toy line does not. There have already been two amiibo-like Marvel toy lines (Disney Infinity and that weird Playmation thing). I can't see Nintendo pursuing a third. I also can't see Nintendo convincing retailers to carry a third. That era is dead. Amiibos are the only surviving line (and only just barely) and that's thanks to Nintendo's broad application of the figures. A Marvel Amiibo would be a one-off use, most likely a limited run, and not really worth the effort to anyone involved. Short of a long-term Marvel/Nintendo deal being announced, the chances of a straight forward Marvel Amiibo line seems unreasonable.

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
Get Slapstick, Machine Man, Howard the Duck, or Terror in there, too.
After how much Marvel has screwed up Slapstick, I'd rather they leave him forgotten. James Fry or nothing, damnit!

You're right I saw it too with high speed scrubbing. Which means this trailer is made entirely of in game cutscenes not original material which means this is waaayyyy further ahead than people think if it's in this good enough state for all game material to be used for the trailer... I'm really betting on a March or April release
If it's not out by mid-May 2019 someone should be shot.

Why do people seem so convinced that MUA3 will be big? Genuine question. The Marvel license sure didn't help Marvel vs Capcom Infinite.
Nintendo > Capcom

I really hope the first family gets in.
The First Family is over at Astro City, dude. ;-)

(Astro City vs. Marvel? To dream...)

carving out a space dedicated for amiibo is probably doable since there's no other toy it would compete against
Disney Infin-- oh, wait...

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
Is it the mind that determines your race, or your body?
you seem to be misinterpreting the situation here

Psylocke was originally a white, british woman, whom later had her mind swapped in the body of an asian woman (Revanche) by Spiral and along the way gave them physical traits of each other (for some reason), making Psylocke sorta kinda but not really asian because she's still a natural born british white woman in an asian woman's body and someone thought this was a good idea because i don't know

i forget if they did this before or after Meiling Melançon played her in Last Stand but saying that Psylocke herself is flatly Asian is very much misrepresenting the situation and she is honestly much better off just being white

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
Psylocke was never Asian. She was born and raised as a white British woman (child of an interdimensional traveler notwithstanding), ended in a Japanese assassin's body and recently rebuilt her original body due to comic shenanigans.

She did not have any Asian culture in her, western or otherwise. Her entire turn into Asian was exploitative at best, done during the mid-80s when Asian coded stories and characters were exotic and sexy, in a kinda gross way.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Ok something for a little more discussion while we wait for the next trailer. After thinking about it and reviewing the info and the original game I noticed a trend that could lead to some interesting predictions. Traditionally mua has had standard lineups of each main team having 5 characters as the standard. In the original game avengers were the only exception(at release). Now from the info we have there are dozens of characters playable and we have about 16 revealed and 3 major revealed factions(and 3 smaller ones that aren't a confirmed team but have been previously)
So the reason I bring it up is a major part of mua on top of making your own teams is that each major team has a full team(and usually an alternate) which means 5 total characters. So here's the confirmed factions, and minimum slots. So a big one is we don't have the full X-men lineup and we should get at least 4 more
So here's the factions we know of
Gotg
  1. Starlord
  2. Gamora
  3. Drax
  4. Rocket and groot(seem to be a single character)
X-men
  1. Wolverine
  2. ?
  3. ?
  4. ?
  5. ?
Avengers
  1. Iron man
  2. Cap
  3. Hulk
  4. Thor
  5. Falcon
  6. Scarlet Witch
  7. Vision(not officially shown but in a split second frame of the trailer)
Inhumans (not nessecarily a full faction as Both have been a member of multiple teams)
  1. Crystal
  2. Lockjaw
Shield(has been a sub faction, and the only faction only character is generally Nick Fury, but we could see more with it as a primary this time)
  1. Nick Fury
Spider friends (general colloquial for Spider-Man related characters)
  1. Spider-Man
Now the last three won't nessecarily fill up, oh and marvel knights are likely as both hand ninjas have beeen shown. We don't know if there will be playable villains. X-men could get more as we truly don't know what other teams were getting but 5 characters are the most likely. Oh and if we go off previous games here's a legacy team that is like
Marvel Knights
  1. Daredevil
  2. Elektra
  3. Luke Cage
  4. Blade
  5. Ghost Rider
  6. Moon knight
And of course avengers is likely to be the biggest it's wver been however it's also possible for multiple characters to be focused in their sub teams like west coast avengers

Stuggatz

Jun 6, 2018
Ok something for a little more discussion while we wait for the next trailer. After thinking about it and reviewing the info and the original game I noticed a trend that could lead to some interesting predictions. Traditionally mua has had standard lineups of each main team having 5 characters as the standard. In the original game avengers were the only exception(at release). Now from the info we have there are dozens of characters playable and we have about 16 revealed and 3 major revealed factions(and 3 smaller ones that aren't a confirmed team but have been previously)
So the reason I bring it up is a major part of mua on top of making your own teams is that each major team has a full team(and usually an alternate) which means 5 total characters. So here's the confirmed factions, and minimum slots. So a big one is we don't have the full X-men lineup and we should get at least 4 more
Gotg
  1. Starlord
  2. Gamora
  3. Drax
X-men
  1. Wolverine
  2. ?
  3. ?
  4. ?
  5. ?
Avengers
  1. Iron man
  2. Cap
  3. Hulk
  4. Thor
  5. Falcon
  6. Scarlet Witch
Inhumans (not nessecarily a full faction as Both have been a member of multiple teams)
  1. Crystal
  2. Lockjaw
Shield(has been a sub faction, and the only faction only character is generally Nick Fury, but we could see more with it as a primary this time)
  1. Nick Fury
  1. Spider-Man
Now the last three won't nessecarily fill up, oh and marvel knights are likely as both hand ninjas have beeen shown. We don't know if there will be playable villains. X-men could get more as we truly don't know what other teams were getting but 5 characters are the most likely. Oh and if we go off previous games here's a legacy team that is like
Marvel Knights
  1. Daredevil
  2. Elektra
  3. Luke Cage
  4. Blade
  5. Ghost Rider
  6. Moon knight
And of course avengers is likely to be the biggest it's wver been however it's also possible for multiple characters to be focused in their sub teams like west coast avengers
Good analysis!

Man, I look at that Inhumans entry and it makes me a little peeved. I know we will be getting a relatively small sample of all the Marvel characters so knowing that we will be getting at least 4 uninteresting, unpopular Inhuman characters is a bummer. I'm guessing they'll throw in Blackbolt and Medusa to round out that team.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Good analysis!

Man, I look at that Inhumans entry and it makes me a little peeved. I know we will be getting a relatively small sample of all the Marvel characters so knowing that we will be getting at least 4 uninteresting, unpopular Inhuman characters is a bummer. I'm guessing they'll throw in Blackbolt and Medusa to round out that team.
Well like I said no garuntees, it could be a sub faction and Lockjaw/Crystal's main association could be Avengers or heck Fantastic Four as they have been members of both teams. Or an Inhumans faction doesn't nessecarily mean royal family, other popular characters who are inhumans now(although not core) include both Quake and Miss Marvel 2 who are both likely to be in. However as far as characters go both black bolt and Medusa are pretty fun. Sub factions can still have a full team without being a major grouping

For example in the original mua Shield was a doable team without being a full faction(Fury, Cap, Spiderwoman and Iron man for example) also Defenders and champions

Edit: also Inhumans are only a few years younger than the X-men and despite recent issues they are a classic marvel faction and had great classic interactions with the fantastic four. They are long overdue for playable characters in this franchise and have some solid characters

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
They'll probably have a few token characters from the Eternals who are relevant to the game's plot.
Seems like Marvel is trying to increase awareness of them for a movie in the next phase now that Inhumans are a tainted brand.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
They'll probably have a few token characters from the Eternals who are relevant to the game's plot.
Seems like Marvel is trying to increase awareness of them for a movie in the next phase now that Inhumans are a tainted brand.
Ironic since in canon Inhumans were created in an attempt to replicate Eternals. I mean Eternals literally have all the powers, who wouldn't want that?

ShadowSwordmaster

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Gotg
  1. Starlord
  2. Gamora
  3. Drax
X-men
  1. Wolverine
  2. ?
  3. ?
  4. ?
  5. ?
Avengers
  1. Iron man
  2. Cap
  3. Hulk
  4. Thor
  5. Falcon
  6. Scarlet Witch
  1. Crystal
  2. Lockjaw
  1. Nick Fury
  1. Spider-Man
Marvel Knights
  1. Daredevil
  2. Elektra
  3. Luke Cage
  4. Blade
  5. Ghost Rider
  6. Moon knight
The Inhumans are in this game? That is surprising.

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
I'd say Ms. Marvel is a lock for the Inhumans. I think as far as Inhumans go, Crystal and Lockjaw will be one character like Rocket and Groot, and Black Bolt and Medusa will be the other two to give us four in total.

Quake seems like a DLC character.

Samus and Ryu Hayabusa will be the guest characters.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I'd say Ms. Marvel is a lock for the Inhumans. I think as far as Inhumans go, Crystal and Lockjaw will be one character like Rocket and Groot, and Black Bolt and Medusa will be the other two to give us four in total.

Were dealing with Dozens of characters, Quake feels like a good possible to me for a Shield team, alongside Fury, and perhaps Coulson and Spiderwoman perhaps

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Samus and Ryu Hayabusa will be the guest characters.

Link and Samus were supposed to be Wii exclusive characters for its release but never got finished, IIRC. It would be cool to see them in UA3.

Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Next week is Fantastic Four week, maybe we wiil get them in MUA3 too.

When's the next Nintendo direct?

Sep 20, 2018
Link and Samus were supposed to be Wii exclusive characters for its release but never got finished, IIRC. It would be cool to see them in UA3.

Seconding this! I really hope they are included. If the development team knows anything about the history and development of the original game, I think they have a shot.

Unfortunately I do have this uneasy feeling that this will end up being MUA in name only and that it will not really feel like a continuation of the first one (where I think they should look for inspiration) or the second (which is still good, but not as good as the first one). I worry things like sim missions, special team bonuses, power combos, and the cheesy stuff that gave the original its charm (like the announcer and people shouting their XTREMEs and whatnot) will not be in the game. We'll see though.

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
Feh. I'd rather have Quake and Yo-Yo. Throw in Phil Coulson and Melinda May for that Agents of SHIELD representation, damnit.