• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Finally getting back into this game but decided to start over since I didn't get that far in my first playthrough.

GAMEPROFF

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I feel a bit stupid but is there a hidden mechanic that I dont get? Or is it really just punching hard at the enemy and call it a day?

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I feel a bit stupid but is there a hidden mechanic that I dont get? Or is it really just punching hard at the enemy and call it a day?

The game really wants you to use Synergy Attacks, double attacks between two heroes.

www.ign.com

How to Use Synergy Attacks - Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3: The Black Order Guide - IGN

Synergy Attacks in Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3: The Black Order are powerful attacks that combine two heroes' Abilities at the same time. Some Infinity

They can stun the tougher standard enemies that usually can shrug off standard attacks, even if they still have stagger gauges left, and take out more of the stagger gauge from bosses than usual. You won't have many options in the beginning when the characters have only one or two abilities, but when they have four (which is still fairly early, level 20) it should be easy enough to find various combinations with almost any set of characters (aside from poor Dr.Strange and Scarlet Witch who are shafted really badly in various ways in this game).

There are some attacks that work fine by themselves and don't have synergies, especially ones that can be charged (these can break the defense of the bigger standard enemies too if charged up, or cause increased damage to the stagger gauge of bosses, like Captain America's shield dash). In late game/post-game, you also start getting some actual damage boost from the equipment which allows more focus on single damage too, but generally you'll choose synergy attacks over solo ones if that's an option.

Last edited:

GAMEPROFF

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
The game really wants you to use Synergy Attacks, double attacks, especially in the beginning.

www.ign.com

How to Use Synergy Attacks - Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3: The Black Order Guide - IGN

Synergy Attacks in Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3: The Black Order are powerful attacks that combine two heroes' Abilities at the same time. Some Infinity

They can stun the tougher standard enemies that usually can shrug off standard attacks, even if they still have stun gauges left, and take out a lot of the stun gauge from bosses. You won't have many options in the beginning when the characters have only one or two abilities, but when they have four it should be easy enough to find various combinations with almost any set of characters (aside from poor Dr.Strange and Scarlet Witch who are shafted really badly in various ways in this game).

There are some attacks that work fine by themselves and don't have synergies, especially in late game/post-game when you start getting some actual damage boost from the equipment, but generally you'll always choose synergy attacks over solo ones.
I just did this after losing my first try against Electro and Venom (yes, I am very early in the game) and using this was suddenly super easy. Did not expect this.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
Serious question: Is this game a bit hard or am I really bad at it?

I think I have the basics right (synergies, dodge, progression systems, etc), but even when overleveling by 10 levels it's not easy, and getting 3 stars can be tough.

So, am I missing something, or is this game a bit on the hard side?

I mean, it's not like it's super hard or anything, but it's not easy either. Not that I'm complaining heh, just wondering if I'm missing something super obvious or if the game simply requires a bit of grinding & luck on top of a tad of skill.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017

I think I have the basics right (synergies, dodge, progression systems, etc), but even when overleveling by 10 levels it's not easy, and getting 3 stars can be tough.

I mean, it's not like it's super hard or anything, but it's not easy either. Not that I'm complaining heh, just wondering if I'm missing something super obvious or if the game simply requires a bit of grinding & luck on top of a tad of skill.

If you're talking about the trials, the recommended levels for them is just to clear them, not getting all stars. The best place for grinding is unlocked very late in the core game though (you need to get to the Omega Trials, the Wakanda wave stage which has tons of strong enemies that give lots of exp, damage boost which makes defeating them go very quickly and it also drops white crystals that can give large exp bonuses to the whole party).

Beat the game and I've only unlocked one extra costume so far... How do I get the rest?

You unlock most of the actual alternate costumes by buying them in the Shield depot (remember to update it, there's a button you need to press in the menu) and then their color swaps afterwards. Color swaps (and a single extra alt for Deadpool) for the basic costumes of the non-DLC characters can be gotten in the Infinity Trials and playing through the prison break and Shadowlands stages in Superior difficulty for a couple of characters. Costumes for DLC characters are locked either by clearing gauntlets or finishing the Fantastic Four DLC story in higher difficulties.

Edit: I had forgotten that there are a couple of alt costumes for base game characters behind the "Phi/X" Infinity Trials too (Spider-Man's black suit, Captain Marvel's old Ms.Marvel costume, "Planet Hulk" Hulk). These are really late game stuff though.

Last edited:

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
If you're talking about the trials, the recommended levels for them is just to clear them, not getting all stars.
Ok. Makes sense.

But even the main game can be a bit tense (mighty difficulty, which seems to be the "normal" difficulty). Not really a big deal. Simply wondering if I'm missing something wrt the mechanics or something.

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
If you're talking about the trials, the recommended levels for them is just to clear them, not getting all stars. The best place for grinding is unlocked very late in the core game though (you need to get to the Omega Trials, the Wakanda wave stage which has tons of strong enemies that give lots of exp, damage boost which makes defeating them go very quickly and it also drops white crystals that can give large exp bonuses to the whole party).

You unlock most of the actual alternate costumes by buying them in the Shield depot (remember to update it, there's a button you need to press in the menu) and then their color swaps afterwards. Color swaps (and a single extra alt for Deadpool) for the basic costumes of the non-DLC characters can be gotten in the Infinity Trials and playing through the prison break and Shadowlands stages in Superior difficulty for a couple of characters. Costumes for DLC characters are locked either by clearing gauntlets or finishing the Fantastic Four DLC story in higher difficulties.

Sounds like a lot of time and work. Oh well, will get my money's worth!

OP
OP
Mandos

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017

Make sure you're upgrading the individual skills too. Iso builds can also allow for a good amount of customization later on

Philtastic

Jan 3, 2018
Canada
Did that too. Maybe I just need to L2P a bit more. Thankfully I can grind a bit to compensate for my lack of skill :p
It can be a fairly challenging game when you're still getting used to the different enemies. My tips would be:
  1. Prioritise ranged attackers as they will constantly interrupt you and take off large chunks of your health.
  2. Stunning purple enemies is basically the key to this game. When you deplete the purple bars of enemies, they become staggered and their purple bar quickly regenerates. If you hit these staggered enemies with a synergy attack, however, you will guaranteed stun them for a significantly longer period of time where they are helpless and take increased damage. You can even directly stun them if you deplete their purple bar using a synergy attack.
  3. Be familiar with the damage and stagger ratings of your heroes' specials. Some specials do more hp damage ("damage") while others are good against purple bars ("stagger"). In general, attacks where your character charges up and then rockets forward are good against purple stagger bars.
  4. Deplete purple bars with high stagger damage specials and then switch to high hp damage specials to finish them off.
  5. Against enemies with purple stagger bars, don't overcommit to attacking them. Early on, you probably can't just burn them down so quick, so just do 1 synergy attack/special and then dodge out and repeat. If you don't have energy, heavy attacks tend to do more damage against purple bars, so go in, do 1-2 heavy attacks and dodge out. If you find that purple bar enemies take a lot of hits, kill all of the regular enemies first to make the purple enemies easier.
  6. Make one durable hero (ie. high durability/resilience) your tank where you equip them with ISO-8s that increase the chance that they'll be targeted by enemies and increase their damage resistance. This will help a lot when you just want to wail away on enemies without getting interrupted and help protect your squishier heroes. Two of the best choices for this are Colossus and Ms. Marvel.
Good luck!

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
It can be a fairly challenging game when you're still getting used to the different enemies. My tips would be:
  1. Prioritise ranged attackers as they will constantly interrupt you and take off large chunks of your health.
  2. Stunning purple enemies is basically the key to this game. When you deplete the purple bars of enemies, they become staggered and their purple bar quickly regenerates. If you hit these staggered enemies with a synergy attack, however, you will guaranteed stun them for a significantly longer period of time where they are helpless and take increased damage. You can even directly stun them if you deplete their purple bar using a synergy attack.
  3. Be familiar with the damage and stagger ratings of your heroes' specials. Some specials do more hp damage ("damage") while others are good against purple bars ("stagger"). In general, attacks where your character charges up and then rockets forward are good against purple stagger bars.
  4. Deplete purple bars with high stagger damage specials and then switch to high hp damage specials to finish them off.
  5. Against enemies with purple stagger bars, don't overcommit to attacking them. Early on, you probably can't just burn them down so quick, so just do 1 synergy attack/special and then dodge out and repeat. If you don't have energy, heavy attacks tend to do more damage against purple bars, so go in, do 1-2 heavy attacks and dodge out. If you find that purple bar enemies take a lot of hits, kill all of the regular enemies first to make the purple enemies easier.
  6. Make one durable hero (ie. high durability/resilience) your tank where you equip them with ISO-8s that increase the chance that they'll be targeted by enemies and increase their damage resistance. This will help a lot when you just want to wail away on enemies without getting interrupted and help protect your squishier heroes. Two of the best choices for this are Colossus and Ms. Marvel.
Good luck!
Some nice tips in there. Thanks!

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
Meh. My game glitched. Picked all the boxes in DD Superior multiple times and stuck at 11/12. Oh well 🤷‍♀️

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
I've been playing a bit of danger room. Holy fuck, that's the biggest pile of turd I've ever seen.

Oh well.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
The traps? Although both Danger Room and Gauntlet also suffer from the long loading times between battles.
Nah, just the whole mess of semi random "jump 4 times" challenges and the obvious non playing of the opponent "AI" when playing against system (progress bar just progresses at whatever the rate the devs randomized, sometimes it's unrealistically slow, sometimes it's unrealistically fast 🤷‍♀️)

Plus of course I got the random Phoenix fight and lost it due to some random bullshit and lost the whole sequence of three successive wins haha

Oh well.

I kinda like gauntlet and its grindy nature but danger zone is just a huge load of all that's not fun in video games.

The game is a blast otherwise though. The whole grindy hack&slash is right up my alley and while I'm not the biggest Marvel nut, fan service is delivered in spades and Johnny Blaze for president.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
Those challenges where you need to complete in 1:30 and spend 2:30 in cutscenes are funny.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Infinity lock restrictions based on finding rifts appear to be bugged for me or something?

First pic shows that I've found the rift for Prison on chapter 2 (icon on the right of the chapter highlighted).
Vs547OO.png

Second pic shows that I beat that rift mission.
iKQrJxK.png

Third pic shows that Lambda 42 boost is locked because I haven't found the rift.
1zcF9ga.png

I went to chapter select and found it two more times. I even found it and beat the chapter again to ensure that it would take. I'm not sure what I'm missing here, but a number of others are locked because it says I haven't found rifts that I have. Am I misunderstanding, or is this a bug?

edit: I just realized that I can't get Thanos because of this issue, either...

Last edited:

Philtastic

Jan 3, 2018
Canada
Infinity lock restrictions based on finding rifts appear to be bugged for me or something?

First pic shows that I've found the rift for Prison on chapter 2 (icon on the right of the chapter highlighted).
Vs547OO.png

Second pic shows that I beat that rift mission.
iKQrJxK.png

Third pic shows that Lambda 42 boost is locked because I haven't found the rift.
1zcF9ga.png

I went to chapter select and found it two more times. I even found it and beat the chapter again to ensure that it would take. I'm not sure what I'm missing here, but a number of others are locked because it says I haven't found rifts that I have. Am I misunderstanding, or is this a bug?

edit: I just realized that I can't get Thanos because of this issue, either...
I'm not 100% sure, but I think that you might need to find those same rifts in higher difficulty settings. There are also new unlocks in basically the same places on higher difficulties too.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
I'm not 100% sure, but I think that you might need to find those same rifts in higher difficulty settings. There are also new unlocks in basically the same places on higher difficulties too.
This turned out to be correct. I had to find it on Superior. I didn't see that written anywhere, so that's kind annoying. Thanks for the help!

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I've bought the DLC, updated the game, hit the update button on each Shield Depot in each menu but I still don't get the option to buy these three costumes.

I can see every other alt costume in the game but these three and fantastic four. What gives?
h2x1_marvel_dlc_outfit_en_v01.jpg

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
It's kind of cruel that the Black suit is stuck as a fairly high level unlockable (well, it was high level when it came out, I guess nowadays getting to that point might go faster).

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
It looks like the expansion pass has just gone on sale for the first time ever. 30% off, down to $13.99