• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Exit Music

Nov 13, 2017
I've been having a lot of fun with this, slowly working my way to a full complement of + team XP ISO-8's.

It really makes me sad that MUA and MUA2 are delisted. My friend and I each own both games, but on different platforms. I would gladly buy them again to enjoy them online, but sadly that's not possible for us.

That being said, does anyone have any recommendations for similar games to MUA3 on Switch or PS4? I don't mean to derail, but I'm bummed about not being able to go back and play 1 and 2 online and it would be nice to keep the co-op brawling going for a while longer.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I had a thought. What Earth will this game take place on? Like how 616 is the prime Marvel universe. 19999 is the MCU. 1048 is Spider-Man PS4 and so on. Have they said anything yet?

Exit Music

Nov 13, 2017
One thing that disappoints me is the lack of unique synergy attacks. I think the fusion attacks from the earlier games were really cool with how Colossus would throw Wolverine or Cyclops would blast Caps shield, etc. This all feels a lot more recycled where I'm not even really paying attention to what a synergy is doing because it's just the same attacks with a special bonus to damage.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
So there's something I'm realizing I hate about the higher difficulties...

You're pretty much required to control the character that eats up the stun bar. I prefer playing Storm, but if I'm not controlling Ms Marvel, enemies just sit there and drink my attacks until I step in and drain that purple bar.

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
wow the difficulty spike is some bullshit.

tips for taking on
Dr Strange for the first time. The dormammu form is destroying me. Should I be using my XP cubes on my team or saving those for the low lvl characters?

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

tips for taking on
Dr Strange for the first time. The dormammu form is destroying me. Should I be using my XP cubes on my team or saving those for the low lvl characters?

I've been struggling with this too. I decided to just grind out some levels and the orb things to level up the enhancement grid. Team is Miles Morales, Nightcrawler, Wasp, and Psylocke.

Cocksman

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

tips for taking on

Yeah I struggled with him too. Did some trials and upgraded my team 3 or 4 levels each. Beat him with Captain Marvel, Thor, Wolverine, and Deadpool.

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017

tips for taking on
I did the same thing that Cocksman did and focused on Infinity Trials for a while to get them up 3-4 levels (take note of the recommended level for the chapter in your pause menu to gauge how far ahead/behind you are) before I went back to the story.

I've had varying success with focusing on the spawns vs. focusing on the boss, but generally, I think time spent on the spawns is time that actually ends up being you getting hit incidentally by the boss, and by the time you kill all the spawns they respawn in a couple seconds anyways. IMO time better spent dodging everything and just hitting the boss when you can, being most careful of the fire spawn.

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
Thanks yall that definitely helped. Didn't realize how important the Trials were and how quick they level you up.

Seeing that its much easier to level up lower level characters through the Trials before wasting XP cubes on them too

PadWarrior

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed the trials quite a lot in this game. I'm already at 150 hours and counting lol. Really love this game!

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
Magfuckineato is great but you have to keep him away from crowds of enemies because his attacks come out super slow and he's squishy. Loki is very similar.

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
Is Wasp that good because of her zooming around in a circle attack or her fidget spinner attack? I've leveled her up to 60-ish using XP ISOs but I haven't really used her as a main because Ms. Marvel is so effective at killing crowds.

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
Is Wasp that good because of her zooming around in a circle attack or her fidget spinner attack? I've leveled her up to 60-ish using XP ISOs but I haven't really used her as a main because Ms. Marvel is so effective at killing crowds.
Fidget Spinner attack is a good room-clearer with fantastic range, but I think her basic abilities are the best because they make her super versatile. She has a great, quick dodge that gets you out of anything, a light attack that lets you pick apart enemies from a distance (you can chain people off-screen, even), and a heavy attack that can crowd control from a distance and you can lay into bigger enemies from close-up to stagger. She's not the best for staggering, but decent given everything else considered (especially if you use ISO-8s to beef up the heavy attack).

Honestly, every time I see that fidget spinner or bottle cap come down on a clump of enemies it's like watching a nuke come down.

PadWarrior

Oct 25, 2017
What are you even doing beyond the 100-hour mark? lol
Farming rainbow ISO-8s?
Since beating the story on all modes I'm farming leveling up people and finishing up collectibles. Then I'll replay the story with different characters. Game isn't leaving my switch for a while. It's my favorite game on the switch.

Absoludacrous

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Man, this game has some horrific game design decisions. This whole Dr. Strange section basically collects them all and puts them nicely on display for you. Too much shit is flying across the screen at once. Dodge one only to land right into another. Try to attack only to get rebuffed and sent flying before you can land the second hit. Were you not playing the same four characters all game? Oops, time to grind. I miss being able to just mix and match teams whenever I felt like it. Now if I want to play Starlord, I have to sit here and grind trials endlessly or just start the game over and keep him on my team the whole time? This isn't fun.

I love all the Marvel the game is dripping with, but it's been a while since I've had a game fight me so hard when I just want to have fun with it.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Got back into this again after playing nothing but Fire Emblem for a few weeks.

I didn't fully realize just how bonkers Ms Marvel is until she basically solo'd an Infinity Trial with foot spinny thing. Holy shit that move is busted. Her, Wolverine, Spidey, and Deadpool have been a pretty freaking strong party in my experience, they might be my ultimate go-to.

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
The issue with MUA3's balancing in regard to leveling up characters outside of the 4 you're using to play through the main game, is that there's a drought of good XP boosting items until you get to Ultimate difficulty. You get 1 blue XP boosting ISO in late Superior difficulty, and no way to get good amounts of Cosmic and Ultimate XP Cubes or other blue and white XP ISOs until you unlock Omega trials. It makes the 2nd playthrough feel like a slog unless you're willing to grind Wave and Rush trials to level up weak characters.

Iceternal

Oct 28, 2017
This is just a mediocre game that is elevated by its IP. I would give it a 5/10 tops if it wasn't a marvel game.

JustTom

May 28, 2018
Germany...
7/10 when the game isn't working against me, the fanservice is on point;

Most of the time barely 6/10 since the game's backwards systems piss me off.

Couldn't agree more. Finished the game a couple of hours ago. Had a decent time but the fighting just isn't that great I think. It just doesnt feel smooth to me. However, I have to agree that the fanservice is on point and yet the story does not deliver.

PadWarrior

Oct 25, 2017
I hope they release that gameplay footage of Cyke and Colossus that they showed at comic con. Really excited for them.

masizzai

Nov 28, 2017
Just beat this last night co-op with a friend. I played like 75% of the game that way sticking to ms marvel and I enjoyed it. Haven't done a single infinity trial or anything. Thane was the toughest boss of the whole game. Felt like a fitting final boss fight and it was pretty good. Really hope I continue to enjoy the game as I knock out trials and harder difficulties. Camera could be pretty rough at times but overall it was a good ultimate alliance game. 7/10.

Pizzamigo

Oct 25, 2017
7/10 when the game isn't working against me, the fanservice is on point;

Most of the time barely 6/10 since the game's backwards systems piss me off.

I agree!

I think the game is a 6 tops. I just can't go up to a 7, it does too many things...bad.

And that hurts to say coming from a big comic nerd, and big Ultimate Alliance fan. I was really looking forward to this one.

I REALLY hope they patch and improve on it, it has potential to be a 7-8 range game if they can improve on it with some decent patches imo.

My wishlist: Fix the broken camera ASAP, rehaul the tedious AF ISO system (doubtful), make the Hex tree system actually interesting (doubtful), improve performance, ADD ACTUAL COSTUMES NOT RECOLORS, balance characters/bosses, add more interesting mode; something like Diablo 3 rifts or bounties (though I don't know what the carrot would be here since there's no gear to grind for).

Iceternal

Oct 28, 2017
In the end I would have enjoyed the game more if it played like a linear musou game, where your character is always OP and the game is a great stress reliever.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In the end I would have enjoyed the game more if it played like a linear musou game, where your character is always OP and the game is a great stress reliever.
That's how it was for me. I leveled my hulk too much at the start with the glitch and he broke everything in a good way for'me. A force to reckon. I finished everything 100% now. I loved the game despites all flaws. I want more

OP
OP
Mandos

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I agree!

I think the game is a 6 tops. I just can't go up to a 7, it does too many things...bad.

And that hurts to say coming from a big comic nerd, and big Ultimate Alliance fan. I was really looking forward to this one.

I REALLY hope they patch and improve on it, it has potential to be a 7-8 range game if they can improve on it with some decent patches imo.

My wishlist: Fix the broken camera ASAP, rehaul the tedious AF ISO system (doubtful), make the Hex tree system actually interesting (doubtful), improve performance, ADD ACTUAL COSTUMES NOT RECOLORS, balance characters/bosses, add more interesting mode; something like Diablo 3 rifts or bounties (though I don't know what the carrot would be here since there's no gear to grind for).
Costumes are coming we're getting ones for Spidey carol and hulk alongside Cyclops and Colossus

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like when MUA3 is fully clicking it's a 7.5/10 game, but if it weren't for that Marvel license, it'd be a 6. It scratches a particular itch that certain musou games like DW Gundam and Hyrule Warriors do, so I can't hate it. I kind of wish it was a musou game, because it would at least have a good combo system and less shit camera.

I'm going to get all the characters past Lv70 and get started on Harry Potter And The Fire Of Emblems, and then finish Ultimate with Cyke and Colossus when they appear.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Anyone know if thrown object damage increases with level or is permanently set?

One of the Infinity Trials wants you to get 100,000 damage using thrown objects, but it's really giving him a hard time, since the only throwable objects in the stage are a handful of Sentinel cores.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
One of the Infinity Trials wants you to get 100,000 damage using thrown objects, but it's really giving him a hard time, since the only throwable objects in the stage are a handful of Sentinel cores.

Throw them at stunned enemies, the damage is greater than if they're hit before their stun gauge goes out.

RightChandMan

Oct 26, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I think I'm over this game. Unless I'm playing it incorrectly.

I beat the game my first time with wolverine, venom, deadpool and spider-man. For the 2nd time I was excited to try new characters, but it feels like the game forces you to use the same characters on higher difficulties. I enjoy the trials but something is not right with this game. The iso management is a chore and most of them are garbage.

I do love the gameplay though, just dont want to repeat characters.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
Few things are more satisfying than reflecting Iron-Man's energy blast with Caps shield.

I think I'm over this game. Unless I'm playing it incorrectly.

I beat the game my first time with wolverine, venom, deadpool and spider-man. For the 2nd time I was excited to try new characters, but it feels like the game forces you to use the same characters on higher difficulties. I enjoy the trials but something is not right with this game. The iso management is a chore and most of them are garbage.

I do love the gameplay though, just dont want to repeat characters.
Try using XP cubes to level up the new party.

Also, ISO-8 gets much better on harder difficulties, but I agree they are underwhelming on Mighty.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
You can just go with one character at the proper level (or rather, a bit above it) and carry a bunch of underleveled AI teammates for a while. They'll level up quickly due to the level difference, and synergy attacks will still work fine.

Falore

Banned
Feb 15, 2019
Is this game more like Mua 1 or Mua 2?

I loved mua 1 but not the sequel I also really loved xmen legends

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017

Story-wise it's a tour around the Marvel Universe like MUA1, but gameplay-wise I'd say it's closer to MUA2 (no customization of the powers for example, each character has 4 standard ones and the super one, costumes are just pallet swaps with no gameplay effect and only one per character at least before the upcoming updates) - but it's actually done well this time, with the focus on action actually paying off and a much larger cast than the previous games (while MUA2 had a reduced cast). Equipment also goes back to being per hero (0 to 4 items as you level up) and you can only switch teams at Shield points, not at any time. There are also synergy attacks, which are basically generic versions of MUA2's fusions. The camera is oddly bad though. There is an optional action camera, but only for single player/online co-op and even so some parts are locked to the standard camera.

No "comic book missions", but there are the Infinity Trials that feature remixed versions of story mode areas or battles, mixing up enemies and even bosses. It's basically the largest side-mode the series has ever had.

Last edited:

PadWarrior

Oct 25, 2017
With the marvel panel at gamescom I wonder if we will see the costumes that are coming along with Cyke and colossus gameplay.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017

I've not been very impressed with the game design sadly. I adored MUA1 despite its own faults. I am not adoring this.

Hard recommend if you ask me, but it has its moments that make you wish for more polish, wish for better systems and mechanics, wish for a lot more. It deserved better. I dropped it somewhat early in hopes that patch updates or fixes eventually come with little regret. Get on sale or expect a flawed game at $60.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still really enjoying this game despite all the little flaws. I think the biggest issue I have is that you never really feel super powerful. Maybe that will change as I start to hit 100 and get OP ISO8s, but at that point, why bother?

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Accidentally erased my character data because I thought "new game" was just a new playthrough of the story, not unlocking everyone again. Whoops!