• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

predict the metascore

• 90-100

Votes: 6 0.9%
  • 85-89

Votes: 25 3.8%
  • 80-84

Votes: 173 26.2%
  • 75-79

Votes: 306 46.3%
  • 70-74

Votes: 126 19.1%
  • 65-69

Votes: 18 2.7%
  • under 65

Votes: 7 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Metacritic (73)
OpenCritic (73)

Kotaku (no score):
Marvel is in a very different place in 2019 than it was in 2009. Marvel Ultimate Alliance and Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 were made for fans of comic books, cartoons and the early Spider-Man and X-Men movies. Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3: The Black Order is very much a product of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. The characterizations are straight from the films. The game prominently features characters no one cared about back in 2009. In the game's gallery, there's a report section with biographies on heroes and villains with commentary by members of the Guardians of the Galaxy, to be enjoyed by people who had no idea what a Groot was prior to 2014. I love that characters I've grown up with have so many new fans. I'm just mildly disappointed it led to another Infinity Stone hunt instead of a game with an original story to tell.

But that's fine. If an animated rehash of 10 years' worth of movies and television is the framing needed to get me an action role-playing game as rich, challenging and satisfying as Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3: The Black Order, then so be it.

Eurogamer (no score):
Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 is, ultimately, just fine, but it feels like a last-gen game visually and in design. You can see it in every door you have to press a button to open, in every recycled enemy, in every spotlight you wait to pass, in every move-block-to-the-right-pad puzzle. Some of my colleagues said it reminded them of one of those late 2000s superhero MMOs, and I get that. Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 launches 10 years after Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2, but it feels like it could easily have come out just a year later, when the Xbox 360 and PS3 were still going strong. I suppose this is exactly what some had hoped for from the game, but I was hoping for a bit more.

Daily Star (5/5):
Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 was a big surprise when it was announced at last year's Game Awards, but after a decade of being trapped under the ice, it feels like a game worth waiting for. Switch owners will find plenty of content to chew through, particularly with friends, and while it may be the gaming equivalent to a Hulk Smash, that isn't to say that it isn't a rollicking good time.

Pure Nintendo (9/10):
Altogether, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 innovates upon the original titles, creating the first fully-rounded Ultimate Alliance title. The depth provided is welcomed, even if it did leave less time to polish synergy attacks and the camera controls. Whether you are looking for a Marvel game or just want a fully-fledged RPG, there is fun to be had with Ultimate Alliance 3.

Hobby Consolas (85/100, review in Spanish):
Ultimate Alliance 3 works great as fan service. It finds a good balance between "hack and slash" gameplay and RPG elements, yet combat mechanics are too simple.

COGconnected (85/100):
While not perfect by any means, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 is the Marvel game fans have been waiting years to play. Was it worth the wait? I'd say so. But the feeling I'm left with is that I want another. And another. We get two or three good Marvel movies a year; it's made me greedy. This game will make you long to play a dozen more.

Gamespot (8/10):
More so than its predecessors, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3: The Black Order excels because of its character diversity and the ways its disparate heroes work together. For this reason alone it's an ideal co-op game, whether you're playing with another friend in the same room or with three friends online, but the AI more than holds its own if you're playing alone, too. It falters in places, but there's still nothing quite like the Ultimate Alliance series, and this long-awaited third entry makes it a triumphant return for a superhero brawler that feels more relevant than ever.

GamesRadar (4/5):
A mighty multiplayer brawler brimming with content, and carefully crafted characters that will delight both comic book veterans and MCU fanatics.

Nintendo Life (8/10):
Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3: The Black Order isn't a groundbreaking, narrative-heavy reinterpretation of the comic characters you know and love, but then again neither were the first two games. In that regard, it's a very faithful sequel that mines the vast roster of characters from the comics while including plenty of nods to the current state of the more modern Marvel Cinematic Universe. While it doesn't do anything particularly new or outstanding, it embraces the brainless fun of its brawler combat with gusto, and it's at its absolute best when played with a team of player-controlled supers.

CGMagazine (8/10):
Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 is comfort food. It retains the multiplayer dungeon crawling and love of the source material that made the two previous titles enjoyable, but it also elevates the action just enough to make it better and more entertaining than what came before. Not all of it works as well as it should, yet it's vision isn't compromised by the missteps it makes. You're going to have a good time when you play Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3. And sometimes, that's all you really need.

Twinfinite (4/5):
Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 is a treat for any fans of the old games, or even just Marvel fans in general. The game manages to be welcoming to those with only knowledge of the MCU, or those that have a deep well of comic knowledge. Team Ninja and Nintendo have done a bang-up job, and I sure hope it paves the path to even more Marvel games.

The Games Machine (8/10, review in Italian):
There is a lot of fan service in Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3: The Dark Order and that's a smart move from Koei Tecmo and Team Ninja. The game is tailored around the expectations of Marvel's fans, with tons of characters and references to both movies and comics. Sure, cameras are bad and graphic is not so good, but superheroes lovers, the only target of the game, will not care about that too much.

Multiplayer.it (8.5/10, review in Italian):
Basically a modern scrolling beat'em up to play alone but even better with friends, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 is exceptionally faithful to the source material, being it comics or movies.

LevelUp (8.3/10, review in Spanish):
Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3: The Black Order is an unexpected but welcomed sequel to a beloved franchised that hasn't aged particularly well. So, is it worth playing? Thankfully yes. By taking the best of what made the series great in the first place, Team Ninja and Marvel Games made a solid action RPG that fans of the genre will have a lot of fun with. Marvel fans will also like Marc Sumerak's work of creating an interesting story that stands on its own. Sadly, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 rough edges will draw it away from perfection and aspects such as camera problems, poor AI and a very simple puzzle design can't be overlooked. The good thing is that it won't stop you from enjoying it.

TheSixthAxis (8/10):
A couple of stripped back features aside, Marvel Ultimate Alliance is a great series revival that should keep new and old fans busy for quite a while. With DLC coming later this year, it will only get better.

Atomix (80/100, review in Spanish):
Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3: The Black Order presents us with great combat in a dungeon crawler. The representations of the characters are unique in this post MCU world. It's repetitive, but it's really worth it.

Nintenderos (8/10, review in Spanish):
Marvel fans have a date with Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3: The Black Order. Although it can be improved graphically and we miss some characters and game modes, it is a very fun title, which will give us many hours of entertainment, either alone or in company.

SpazioGames (7.9/10, review in Italian):
Ultimate Alliance 3 it's a good hack 'n' slash game, part old school and part new with the Team Ninja expertise.

Areajugones (7.8/10, review in Spanish):
It is a fun and light alternative that allows players to enjoy an adventure full of fan service in co-op mode, although it has some camera problems.

IGN (7.8/10):
In yet another take on the Infinity Stone saga, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3: The Black Order is a fun and irreverent comic book story that pulls from an exceptionally wide pool of Marvel material. Its combat systems are fairly simple, but they were still surprisingly engaging as I excitedly experimented with different hero combinations while my roster of A, B, and C-list characters grew. Its vast array of post-game upgrades and other extras has been uninteresting so far, and there are (unsurprisingly) some inherited camera issues in co-op, but this superhero brawler is still a treat to play alone and with friends alike.

IGN Spain (7.7/10, review in Spanish):
A superheroic beat'em up that may have been better with a more complex fighting mechanics or a bit more of ambition throughout the whole proposal, although it manages to be fun for a while.

4Players.de (75/100, review in German):
Team Ninja takes Marvel's super heroes in a new direction, leading them even further now from being the stars of an action rpg to taking on the baddies in an almost classic 3D-brawler.

Critical Hit (7.5/10):
Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 doesn't really do anything new, but it's a thoroughly enjoyable if mindless whirlwind tour through Marvel's hottest properties. An entertaining story, satisfying combat and over-the-top action are sure to delight Marvel fans.

Vandal (7.5/10, review in Spanish):
There is a lot of fun to be had in Ultimate Alliance 3. It isn't perfect, however, if you're a fan of the franchises it is based on you'll have a great time.

GamePro Germany (75/100, review in German):
Sure, the basic game already has a lot of content, but a bland aftertaste remains.

Meristation (7.5/10, review in Spanish):
Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 is not the best superhero game, but it's entertaining, has a lot of fan-service and improves with its co-op experience.

Jeuxvideo.com (15/20, review in French):
If it is repetitive and not very imaginative in its missions, Marvel Ultimate Alliance: The Black Order can count on its fights, a very successful artistic direction and a three-star cast to seduce the players, be they hardcore fans of the comics or mere MCU amateurs. Simple and effective, it is consumed alone or with friends, without moderation.

Nintendo Enthusiast (7.5/10):
If you're a light Marvel fan, you might have some small stints of research ahead of you. Be ready as the experience isn't all "beat 'em up" or as action-oriented as it might seem at first glance. The menu hides a number of different tools for you to surely build the ultimate team. There's no doubt, though, you might have to work for it. But hey, you can do this all day, right?

Nintendo World Report (7.5/10):
Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3: The Black Order is like a B-movie. You know that it isn't the best in areas, but you still enjoy it with all your heart. The characters are well crafted, which makes the game such a joy. The environments, voices, and the general feel is strong. Obviously, the camera issues and endless corridors can drag down moments of the fun, but the action keeps everything flowing and enjoyable. The action never stops, which is the ultimate strength of the title.

Wccftech (7.5/10):
Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3: The Black Order is a dream come true for any Marvel fan thanks to the huge character roster and the serviceable story involving the Infinity Stones. Sadly, the game may not be all that appealing to those who are not particularly invested in the Marvel universe, as the combat and RPG mechanics, while solid, lack depth. Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3: The Black Order gets quite repetitive after a while and the lack of content variety also means that even co-op will eventually feel old. A solid effort, for sure, but far from one of the best Nintendo Switch exclusives.

Eurogamer Italy (7/10, review in Italian):
Pick 'n Mix with super-heroes. Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 is the game Switch needs right now but not the one we deserves.

The Digital Fix (7/10):
While Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 is fun, I sometimes wished it pushed the envelope a bit more and tried something new. The game excels in multiplayer and playing your favourite characters from the Marvel Universe never gets old. Its combat is fun and gets better the more you upgrade your heroes. Its story is very cliche but that's expected. All in all its a fun pick up and play multiplayer brawler.

GameMAG (7/10, review in Russian):
Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3: The Black Order is a great cooperative beat 'em up with a nice RPG-system, huge number of iconic Marvel characters, awesome cutscenes and interesting bosses, which lacks a more interesting story, some good AA-filtering and variety of situations in the second half of the game.

USgamer (3.5/5):
The Ultimate Alliance comes roaring back with this Nintendo Switch exclusive. Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 pulls inspiration for Marvel comics, movies, TV, and more to create an homage to the brand's long history. Unfortunately, some camera issues and general readability mar the overall experience, and the alternate costumes fall short of the Ultimate Alliance standard. Despite that, this is a great couch co-op adventure with all your Marvel favorites.

VentureBeat (70/100):
It succeeds most as a tribute to Marvel. Its giant roster offers a great variety of heroes. And while the gameplay is simple, it can still be satisfying with some cool cinematic moments and boss fights that I won't spoil for you here. I think most people know what they're going to get with this one: a simple Marvel-themed beat-'em-up game. Just don't expect anything more than that.

Destructoid (7/10):
There's plenty of room for improvement, but I had fun playing through Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3. With the Marvel IP less muddled and the simplicity of this deal between Marvel and Nintendo, I'd love to see another with enhancements in tow.

Game Informer (7/10):
My time with Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 was filled with peaks and valleys. It has great moments where everything is clicking, followed by lulls where it all falls apart. The story never really gets going, however, but is a fun exploration of all things Marvel. For that, it delivers a little bit of fun, but this experience is all about the character reveals and getting to test them out, even if the worlds they explore and challenges within them often lack excitement.

God is a Geek (7/10):
At times Ultimate Alliance 3 becomes a little repetitive, but the vast array of characters and bosses keeps things interesting throughout. The difficulty is a tad uneven, especially in the Infinity Trials, which really feel like they need a tweak, but it's an enjoyable adventure that franchise fans will fall in love with. I'd have liked to have seen more real costumes, and it's a genuine shame that the coop actually feels less fun than playing solo, but Team Ninja have crafted a likeable scrapper that sets out to entertain, and succeeds in doing just that.

Everyeye.it (6.8/10, review in Italian):
Overall, appreciable elements such as the ruolistic system and the amount of content make it a fun and smooth product, albeit conceptually repetitive and poorly finished.

Gameblog.fr (6/10, review in French):
Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 is both a fun adventure (especially in couch co-op mode) for fans of Marvel characters and a game that looks like it was made a couple hardware generations ago. While the game is clearly held back by its dated presentation, it has enough cool content to show a good time to fans of Marvel Characters both young and old.

Metro GameCentral (6/10):
Shallow, stupid, and very repetitive but as long as you play with friends there's a goofy charm to what is, for better or worse, the best Marvel team-up game in a long while.

VGC (3/5):
The Russo brothers have turned Marvel in to cinematic masterpieces. If you're looking for a gaming equivalent, Ultimate Alliance 3 isn't it, though that was never its intention. But if you're looking to get your favourite heroes together to kick ass with friends then you'll have a Hulk-smashing time.

Last edited:

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
reviews are still 2 hours 20 minutes away right? why not wait until then to post the thread?

btkadams

Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing high 70s. I'm looking forward to this game though. I've become way more interested in Marvel stuff in recent years.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I can't imagine this reviewing well but I get another Ultimate Alliance game and get to break out my Daredevil, Spidey, Wolverine and Venom dream team and their support squad (Spider-Gwen, Elektra, Ghost Rider and Hulk) so it's already game of the forever for me.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Still going back and forth if I want to grab this tomorrow. Probably will unless the reviews are bad.

Expecting it to be in the 70's, am hoping for 80's.

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
Guessing mid-high 70's with tech issues bringing it down. Hoping it's in the 80+ range though. I'm really excited for this. Buying it as long as any tech issues aren't too bad.

BlkSquirtle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Already used my voucher so scores don't matter but I anticipate mid 70s, but because I'm always wrong expect lower scores everybody.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
I find Aggregate-Era is pretty good at predicting MC scores - someone should do an analysis of these threads and see how well-calibrated with the eventual truth we are.

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
Gonna say 75.

I think this is going to be the kind of game that some people will totally click with and others will just be bored.

BearPawB

I'm a fan of the erotic thriller genre
Oct 25, 2017
Bad camera
Short story mode (?)
Boring puzzle elements
Simple combat

But mashy fun?
Put me in that 65-69 camp

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Feels like 75 to me.
If it's 80+ I may need to reconsider skipping this one. Still, Fire Emblem is next week...

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
73. The environments look very basic, handheld mode seemingly runs bad, the character models look like their mobile games, there aren't alternate costumes other than palette swaps, etc.