• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
They're probably gonna run the pre patch version right?

Logically, they should.

But I am a firm believer in Murphy's Law with Capcom at this point; even if they don't, I'd bet that at least one or two PS4 (or XB1's) will accidentally be on the post-patch version and will screw up a portion of the tournament.

jaytothe

Oct 30, 2017
spending 15 seconds every match in a box while dante/jedah/dorm/ultron throw shit at you is all in a terrible game. this needed to be done. the timing is really stupid before a big tourney but who cares.

closer

Oct 25, 2017
I really refuse to believe that they are playing on the new patch

Maybe the fact that they are patching twice when i thought they wouldnt until next year is giving me false hope

Also i agree w/ dahbomb about dante, think he'll still be quite good. The lowered health is a thing tho

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
I really refuse to believe that they are playing on the new patch

Maybe the fact that they are patching twice when i thought they wouldnt until next year is giving me false hope

Even Justin Wong thinks they're going to run it on the new patch lol. I'm in the "There's no way in fucking hell they do" camp. It would be the most illogical decision to do so and while Capcom isn't always known for doing things that make sense, this would be a huge mistake and I can't imagine how many pros would nope the fuck out of this thing (Although apparently just by being in it you're guaranteed a $2k bonus).

sandboxgod

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
They better play on the new patch. I am probably not watching Battle for the Stones if 80% of teams will just spam Dante/Reality. Like Justin Wong says they should just give them the patch early.

At least Injustice pro series had Aquaman/Deadshot/Black Adam. This game has been like all Dante and his teammate is just icing

closer

Oct 25, 2017
Is anyone able to test something for me? I dont really trust my mechanics lol.

So doing up/fwd fwd is supposed to be a faster box jump than jumping and pressing the dash macro, i can do this part. But when i was trying it out i found that jump + manually press both punches resulted in the same speed as up/fwd fwd. But i dont trust myself lol. So can anyone confirm that it's the same?

Zissou

Oct 26, 2017
Is that really the case for Morrigan? Because outside hidden missiles teams, can't think of a team where "point" Morrigan was the problem!

Terry Bogard got top 8 at multiple majors using Morrigan/Dante/Strider and RyanLV won evo with Chun/Morrigan/Phoenix (with point Morrigan contributing substantially to his success)

Kufkah

Permanently banned for usage of an alt-account.
Oct 26, 2017
Terry Bogard got top 8 at multiple majors using Morrigan/Dante/Strider and RyanLV won evo with Chun/Morrigan/Phoenix (with point Morrigan contributing substantially to his success)
Point Morrigan isn't "the problem" in any of those teams though, Morri is in RyanLV's to charge meter while his point Chun is running away at the top of the screen, "point" Morri is by far the least contributing character to that team's success, she's there as an assist character.
Point Morrigan wouldn't be in anyone's top 5 characters list if not for missiles assist and Bogard's top 8 placing being the other example really shows that she's nowhere near that much of a problem without missiles!

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
They better play on the new patch. I am probably not watching Battle for the Stones if 80% of teams will just spam Dante/Reality. Like Justin Wong says they should just give them the patch early.

At least Injustice pro series had Aquaman/Deadshot/Black Adam. This game has been like all Dante and his teammate is just icing
Have you actually been watching the tournaments? Not even 50% of the people were using Dante. "Dante is a problem" is only real if you're an online warrior.

The patch is knee-jerk as heck. If this is how Capcom's gonna do, I can't feel excited for future balance changes.

Zissou

Oct 26, 2017
Point Morrigan isn't "the problem" in any of those teams though, Morri is in RyanLV's to charge meter while his point Chun is running away at the top of the screen, "point" Morri is by far the least contributing character to that team's success, she's there as an assist character.
Point Morrigan wouldn't be in anyone's top 5 characters list if not for missiles assist and Bogard's top 8 placing being the other example really shows that she's nowhere near that much of a problem without missiles!

Morrigan with missiles won as many evos as Morrigan without. It wasn't the assists that were too good, it was specific point characters. Any character that was strong with missiles (Morrigan, Zero, Magneto, Vergil) was clearly viable and capable of winning majors w/o missiles.

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
Have you actually been watching the tournaments? Not even 50% of the people were using Dante. "Dante is a problem" is only real if you're an online warrior.

The patch is knee-jerk as heck. If this is how Capcom's gonna do, I can't feel excited for future balance changes.
Dante was universally considered the best character in the game by basically every pro player. Hardly knee jerk when everyone agreed he needed to be toned down a shit ton

Kufkah

Permanently banned for usage of an alt-account.
Oct 26, 2017
Morrigan with missiles won as many evos as Morrigan without. It wasn't the assists that were too good, it was specific point characters. Any character that was strong with missiles (Morrigan, Zero, Magneto, Vergil) was clearly viable and capable of winning majors w/o missiles.
Point Morrigan won EVO with missiles and couldn't have done it without missiles, the other EVO win was assist Morrigan in a Dark Phoenix team. It's less so for Zero, Magneto and Vergil, but point Morrigan at that level of play is nowhere near as good without a missiles assist, it's called Morridoom for a reason. What was broken about Morrigan was the keep away and that keepaway wasn't possible without missiles.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

What is this false nonsense?

We already have stats for BOTS, the most common character right now is Ultron and the most common stone is Space. 80% Dante/Reality? I don't even know of a single team that uses Dante plus Reality in the finals.

I can already see some of you guys returning after a few months complaining about the next OP character and stone, demanding it be nerfed.

JEH

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

If SFV s2 patch taught us anything this is how capcom is going forward with future patches...

Zissou

Oct 26, 2017
Point Morrigan won EVO with missiles and couldn't have done it without missiles, the other EVO win was assist Morrigan in a Dark Phoenix team. It's less so for Zero, Magneto and Vergil, but point Morrigan at that level of play is nowhere near as good without a missiles assist, it's called Morridoom for a reason. What was broken about Morrigan was the keep away and that keepaway wasn't possible without missiles.

Morrigan was good with plenty of assists (and Morrigan+missiles was certainly not 'broken'), but I can see you're not going to change your mind ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Eh... they will patch FB if/when he becomes a problem.

This isn't old Marvel era anymore.

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
So with Reality stone being brought in line with Time/Power. Let's talk about how they should balance Soul and bring up Mind.

For soul stone you can either:
Make surge only bring a character back for the duration of the surge
or
Reduce how much HP they come back with

For mind stone you need to either:
improve grab range
or
get rid of the grab move and replace it with a melee hit which disables tagging for x seconds after your combo ends
or
get rid of the grab move and replace it with a melee hit which steals meter from your opponent

FSLink

Oct 25, 2017
They just took away his persistant toornado which is huge
It's a nerf but it really just makes it from a near broken projectile to just a great one.

So with Reality stone being brought in line with Time/Power. Let's talk about how they should balance Soul and bring up Mind.

or

For mind stone you need to either:
improve grab range
or
get rid of the grab move and replace it with a melee hit which disables tagging for x seconds after your combo ends
or
get rid of the grab move and replace it with a melee hit which steals meter from your opponent

For Soul I'd reduce the amount of HP when revived the first time during a match and for Mind I'd just buff the grab and make the combos afterwards scale less. Maybe buff the Infinity Storm to have the meter gain be faster?

As for the other stones.....I'd probably buff Power and Time a bit by making their Infinity Storms last longer. Unsure what to do with Space and Reality, need to see how the changes play out.

AWizardDidIt

Oct 28, 2017
I think you underestimate how massive it is to bring a second character back in this game. It's currently the only comeback mechanic in the game with pretty much no downsides

It has an extremely large downside which is that it opens you up to getting both characters happy birthdayed if you're not careful. I've seen far more people get both characters blown up in a Soul Storm than I have seen make a comeback because of it.

Soul Stone seems like one of the most honest and balanced stones in the game atm. If anything I think its surge effect could stand to be buffed a little bit.

sandboxgod

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas

I quit watching them a few weeks ago? I guess after my man SonicFox lost to Dante/Zero. I went back to watching IJ2/T7 now.

I did watch that Latin MvCI and saw a bunch of Dante / Dorm

I think you underestimate how massive it is to bring a second character back in this game. It's currently the only comeback mechanic in the game with pretty much no downsides

Yeah I dont like Soul stone. you put in work to kill a guy and poof they get a rez

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
Let's just get rid of the Infinity stone mechanic completely while we're at it!

But seriously Soul isn't any better than Space or Reality.

Or, I guess, it's definitely better than Reality now...

sandboxgod

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
Well I freely admit I'm a bad player. (I've been training with bots and in labs but progress is slooooowwww)

We already have stats for BOTS, the most common character right now is Ultron and the most common stone is Space. 80% Dante/Reality? I don't even know of a single team that uses Dante plus Reality in the finals.

I can already see some of you guys returning after a few months complaining about the next OP character and stone, demanding it be nerfed.

SonicFox lost to Dante

AWizardDidIt

Oct 28, 2017
I hope they run BftS on the new patch. Nothing would make me happier than to watch guys riding the coat tails of the top tiers get torn down or at least force them to adapt.

Unless it's true that some people in the tourney got to beta test the patch. That would be way too unfair an advantage.

sandboxgod

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas

... I don't even know of a single team that uses Dante plus Reality in the finals.

Latin MvCI Final 8- There is a Dante mirror match. Come on bro Dante is a massive problem. I am tired of seeing this dude just body everyone.

edit- What I meant theres a shitload of Dante teams in this video. I cant remember the final team composition in the last battle. And there is Dante mirror matches this is crazy broke

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
It has an extremely large downside which is that it opens you up to getting both characters happy birthdayed if you're not careful. I've seen far more people get both characters blown up in a Soul Storm than I have seen make a comeback because of it.

Soul Stone seems like one of the most honest and balanced stones in the game atm. If anything I think its surge effect could stand to be buffed a little bit.
Nah, that's not a downside. Getting comboed during your own infinity storm has the same result across all stones. Soul stone has huge problems with its risk/reward mechanic.

It has all these problems:
-It's currently the only stone in the game which gives you a benefits outside of storm
-Not only the above but it's the only stone which rewards you for doing nothing but activating it (except mind stone, but lol mind stone)
-It drastically improves your mixup potential
-Makes it significantly harder for your opponent to punish your pressure. As even if one of your characters gets punished, the other can break you out of your opponent's combo.
-Increases your damage during storm
-Increases your lockdown capability
-Pretty much negates your opponent's pressure since you can just have one character block and the other attack

Soul stone is secretly the best stone with space a close second. It's pretty much Time, Power, and Reality all rolled up into one in terms of usability. Not only that but it restores your neutral since you can tag again afterwards, and that's massively important in this game.
Let's just get rid of the Infinity stone mechanic completely while we're at it!

But seriously Soul isn't any better than Space or Reality.

Or, I guess, it's definitely better than Reality now...
Nice hyperbole.

sandboxgod

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
lol just finished re-watching Latin MvCI yeah Dante is there in final match. I'm not gonna spoil the outcome because I am a gent.

But you know what pluck it- Dante WON the thing.

Nerf him now plz Capcom why wait so long?!!!!

edit- bah adding spoiler tags sorry fam

Last edited:

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I mean you showed a Latin American tournament top 8 with much lower competition than NA.

You should be citing the finalists of Battle for Stones as that's what this is about. Right now we have 3 Dantes in that top 16 (maybe 4 if Viscant has a Dante too), that is not 50%. Reality Stone is also less than Space stone. It's a possibility that we might have more Dantes through the online qualifiers but right now there are more Ultrons than Dantes.

Please use a bigger sample size when quoting random percentages.

Sonic Fox lost to a Dante but not a Dante + Reality stone user. He lost to Dante/Zero/Soul. Guess we should be nerfing Soul then right if Sonic Fox is the benchmark we are going to use to balance this game.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Ghost Rider got some buffs to hit stun to his Bike Super and his Hellfire (QCF+HK) charged/angle version. Probably just quality of life stuff, nothing too big.

nded

Nov 14, 2017

or

I would just simplify it a bit and make it so the revived character shares the remaining character's health bar. Getting a character back is a pretty big deal, but you have to risk being especially vulnerable to happy birthdays and losing access to tag-out regen for the rest of the match. Subsequent activations would heal, I dunno, like 20% of whatever HP you have left.

I'd also have non-revive storm activation equally distribute the remaining health pool between the two characters so there's some incentive to use it mid-round for managing HP.

Last edited:

sandboxgod

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
I mean you showed a Latin American tournament top 8 with much lower competition than NA.

I disagree 100% with you. I dont give a care if Latin MvCI is considered 'low tier'. It's an excuse period. People are tuning on Twitch to watch MvCI and we got spammed with back-to-back Dante all the way to the end. Was a travesty

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i think i'm gonna maybe start experimenting with space stone. mostly because it would help ghost rider out. haggar/ghost rider can both use the box to land their level 3's which is what i use reality stone surge for mostly. i mostly just used reality stone projectile to negate other reality stone users. now i can punish their asses without it stopping my combos after punishing them. loving those dormammu nerfs as well.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Sure, it sucks to see the same characters over again on stream but this is not a new occurence for FGs and especially not for VS games. I guarantee you we have had more Doom in Marvel 3 in high level tournaments though I will admit that if stretched to end game, Dante might overtake Doom as overused which is a problem.

However, nerfing characters based MAINLY on their popularity is a poor reason to balance. Sometimes characters are just popular. Wesker was super popular in UMVC3's life cycle, people demanded for big nerfs just so they don't have to see Wesker mirrors. Now I am not saying that Dante in MVCI is comparable to Wesker but the point is that nerfs should be dished out based on good understanding of the game and what is actually good and what isn't. For a game like MVCI it is near impossible to have good knowledge of the game in even 2 years let alone 2 months. That's usually why FGs change less frequently, you need to give players time to learn their character.

Imagine if they nerf Dante and now every team is using Nova. That means that balance was dished out without good knowledge because you are just playing musical chairs with who is on top.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ghost Rider got some buffs to hit stun to his Bike Super and his Hellfire (QCF+HK) charged/angle version. Probably just quality of life stuff, nothing too big.
Definitely QoL, people would randomly flip out of his shit.

If Reality Stone Spam is all over online play, it doesn't matter if it's not an issue in pro play. You have to balance for multiple tiers of players, and taking out really stupid noob-stomp stuff is part of doing that.

So, apparently I just heard that Ant-Man is being shown on TBS tomorrow, which has me thinking. Isn't Ant-Man rumored to be in MvCI according to several sources? It would make sense for him to be released as Season 2 or 3 DLC, along with the rumored X-Men/Fantastic Four characters as DLC as well, since Ant-Man and the Wasp is slated to be released in theaters next year. =/

closer

Oct 25, 2017
The reigning in of moves with invincibility frames is def a buff to soul stone

Imagine if they nerf Dante and now every team is using Nova. That means that balance was dished out without good knowledge because you are just playing musical chairs with who is on top.

Definitely see nova being top of the pack after patch. Means more yipes groans fpr the lvl 3 so im fine with it lol

Where'd you hear that at?
Ant-Man was apparently leaked from Eurogamer (I think?), so he may have been moved to DLC or something like that.

P.S. My mistake. Ant-Man is airing tonight on TBS, not tomorrow. Sorry for the confusion. =/

EDIT: Ant-Man was also on the supposed launch roster rumor before the official launch roster was revealed through the ZIP leak.

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
I heard about Ant-Man at the same time as the rest of the base roster without any mention of DLC, so I think he was dropped from the game due to technical issues. Whether or not Capcom wants to try salvaging him for DLC is anyone's guess. Frank West was dropped from MvC3 and brought back for Ultimate, so hopefully Ant-Man gets the same treatment here.