• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kufkah

Permanently banned for usage of an alt-account.
Oct 26, 2017
Yes, I am. Counter tags are by far the biggest offender here, they're what end up creating the "what the hell is going on" moments where a bunch of stuff is happening and none of it makes sense.

I had no issues following MvC3 as a spectator.
Counter TAGs are pretty easy to follow since you pretty much expect them the moment someone get hit while having 2 bars. For me the hardest thing outside Soul Stone is plinking moves into switch, you see the switch with the character in a neutral state and as the screen adjust to tracking the now active character, that other character start doing a move instead of leaving sometimes doing it from outside the screen!

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Counter TAGs are pretty easy to follow since you pretty much expect them the moment someone get hit while having 2 bars. For me the hardest thing outside Soul Stone is plinking moves into switch, you see the switch with the character in a neutral state and as the screen adjust to tracking the now active character, that other character start doing a move instead of leaving sometimes doing it from outside the screen!
The issue is as a spectator, as a player you react with your own tag and scramble, but it is just completely impossible to follow on-screen.

sandboxgod

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
I'm still laughing at that topic on here about why fighting game isn't as popular as an esport and them saying LoL is easier to spectate then fighting games. That shit made my day.

LoL is easier to spectate for some folks since the action is much slower pace. Things don't really get chaotic in LoL unless there is a huge team fight. Unlike Dota, there isn't a lot of 'active' items and super complicated abilities making it harder to follow

But that said I find most fighting games easy to spectate (esp Tekken & SFV) but I'd rank MvC:I as the hardest to follow. Maybe Guilty Gear Xrd would be next hardest to watch where SFV is easiest followed by Tekken 7.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
90% of this thread is either goin on about what capcom did wrong, is the game dead, or whether or not DBFZ is gonna steal all its attention because that game is built upon the framework of mechanics folks thought this marvel sequel should've had.
Can we go back to just talking about the game and characters and strats again? I love talking synergy between characters and stones and instead of focusing on what it aint I'd enjoy just getting back to what it is personally. MVCI is fun. It doesn't need approval or all the attention or to hit home runs with events and viewers to admit that. Hell I'm used to playing poverty fighters so it really confuses me that months later folks still cant let go of what it aint and just focus on the game they like playing. Its what every other non capcom community has always done.

So what teams and stones have you guys been playing the most? I can't stop messing around with Winter Soldier. That arm off of tags just creates all kinds of setups and craziness. I keep thinking I should maybe pickup strider because of full screen pickups and the setups the two would get. So far the folks I've played as the most are Megaman X, Winter Soldier, Sigma, and honestly Spiderman. I abuse Time stone and Soul stone the most. Keep thinking It feels like I'm missing an obvious character I should be spending time on. Haggar possibly. Dunno. Anyhow I'm likely either Winter Soldier/X or Winter Soldier/Sigma for now till I get the ins and outs of anyone else I may gravitate towards later.

Here enjoy some long range Winter Soldier confirms.

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
LoL is easier to spectate for some folks since the action is much slower pace. Things don't really get chaotic in LoL unless there is a huge team fight. Unlike Dota, there isn't a lot of 'active' items and super complicated abilities making it harder to follow

But that said I find most fighting games easy to spectate (esp Tekken & SFV) but I'd rank MvC:I as the hardest to follow. Maybe Guilty Gear Xrd would be next hardest to watch where SFV is easiest followed by Tekken 7.
I disagree any fighting game is gonna be easier to watch then any MOBA LoL based on objectives alone. I watched LoL and it took me a minute to understand what was going on in that game. Yeah there's more complicated stuff deep down that would make it complicated if you were trying to fully understand what's going on in some fighting games but you can still enjoy a match spectating without knowing all of that. I'm not sure the same can be said about MOBA.

ZeroCDR

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Zero/Sigma has become my primary team, it's just too much fun! Zero bnb tagging into Sigma shoulder ram combos does nice damage spending one meter, and it's not execution heavy at all. Sigma's beam saber super has really good lockdown for Zero to tag in, dash around and be stupid. Generally swap between mind, soul and reality depending on what I feel like.

Still play Zero/X a bunch with mind stone, just stay in hyper X armor and sougenmou all day long and I usually do well.

I've been experimenting with Venom and Bucky but they haven't quite clicked for me yet. Want to also dig into Monster Hunter who should pair well with Zero.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Zero/Sigma has become my primary team, it's just too much fun! Zero bnb tagging into Sigma shoulder ram combos does nice damage spending one meter, and it's not execution heavy at all. Sigma's beam saber super has really good lockdown for Zero to tag in, dash around and be stupid. Generally swap between mind, soul and reality depending on what I feel like.

Still play Zero/X a bunch with mind stone, just stay in hyper X armor and sougenmou all day long and I usually do well.

I've been experimenting with Venom and Bucky but they haven't quite clicked for me yet. Want to also dig into Monster Hunter who should pair well with Zero.
Zero with Mind stone works out pretty well in storm. Since he doesn't build meter during his install normally using Mind storm kind of lets him go ham on that tool without having to make a choice about wanting bar or wanting the extra attacks. I wish MMX's install was better. Its only very minor in its perks and I think it overestimated the utility of his buster. I think he should have gotten the usual 10% damage boost at least on his normals. All he got was the 10% damage reduction and new move properties.

Here's a fun install breakdown for nearly everyone in the cast I found. Pretty nice to have the solid numbers on these per move broke down. This guy's vids are always solid honestly.He followed up with a vid on how Franks levels work since its like installs as well. He's neat with all the differences and the self healing at each level.

Last edited:

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The only people who think spectating MOBAs is easier than spectating fighting games are people who already play MOBAs.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Sigh I tried. Marvel threads are forever for comparison of other games and talk about viewing games and not playing them lol.

DR2K

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
It feels like MVCi doesn't even exist. I hope making the game so mediocre and uneventful was worth the meager day 1 profits. The community is barely there, Capcom goes back to complete radio silence on the state of the game, we don't even know if they'll continue support or overhaul the game.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
How to know if your game has hit bottom. Shaowebb, Mr Poverty fighter fan, says its good and folks should try playing it more than pointing out its faults.

MVCI is now indistinguishable from my normal list of fighters that I play from graphics to community treatment lol.

Seriously though. Chill. Game is fun. Want it to grow? Play it more and talk about what you enjoyed per session on boards instead of all this moping about not being the center of attention any more.

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
I mean, I think it's fair game to discuss stuff related to the game, no? As it stands, we don't have any big event to look forward to and we're stuck on a holding pattern until some sort of support is confirmed/we get any indication of the game not being dropped like a rock.

XrossExam

Nov 1, 2017
Game has started to become a bit dry to me now, it was a rush at first but over time the flaws rear their ugly head and it's hard to ignore the game's shortcomings. It has a fun openness to the combat but it gets a bit stale after you realize how random the game is.

sandboxgod

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
The only people who think spectating MOBAs is easier than spectating fighting games are people who already play MOBAs.

Yeah that's my line of thought actually (almost everyone has played at least Dota, LoL, Smite or Heroes by now). There's bout 50 guys in my department where I work and only 1 I know has played a fighting game (and thats at extreme casual level). The rest are playing MOBAs. They can describe MOBA esports in great detail

JEH

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Game has started to become a bit dry to me now, it was a rush at first but over time the flaws rear their ugly head and it's hard to ignore the game's shortcomings. It has a fun openness to the combat but it gets a bit stale after you realize how random the game is.

Feel the same. Need some new characters to get me interested because the core game isn't much fun to me anymore.

Can't wait until the first big tournament with all these unblockables.

XrossExam

Nov 1, 2017
Feel the same. Need some new characters to get me interested because the core game isn't much fun to me anymore.

Can't wait until the first big tournament with all these unblockables.

Playing Monster Hunter and Venom has been a lot of fun and they're cool looking characters with fun playstyles, but the art style and UI was something I thought I could look past, but over time it just is not a very pretty looking fighter. Hoping at some point we do see a graphics patch, but I'm not holding my breath.

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
The interesting thing about the unblockable setups is that HSD still persists, so even if the set up loops it's not technically an infinite, but that doesn't really matter since many of those are still ToD.

sandboxgod

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
This game has a ton of depth but I'm just plain incapable of unlocking it. I still cant do a flight staircase combo reliably. just straight up bad I don't know how I've gotten the wins I've gotten. Think my last online team I had success with was Hawkeye / Gamora

(oh right I stay away from Flight characters so....)

ZeroCDR

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This game has a ton of depth but I'm just plain incapable of unlocking it. I still cant do a flight staircase combo reliably. just straight up bad I don't know how I've gotten the wins I've gotten. Think my last online team I had success with was Hawkeye / Gamora

(oh right I stay away from Flight characters so....)

I don't do flight characters either, I tried for a while to get the staircase stuff down and it's not for me. Couldn't do fly combos in 3 either.

sandboxgod

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
Will be great to see Frank finally get used. I didnt realize he was the only fighter I never saw online til the other day when this higher ranked opponent in casuals decided to 'make it fair' by switching to Frank/Dante against me. unfortunately this was back when Dante was freakin' nuts so I still lost but I at least finally got that trophy for fighting against every character online.

My point- that's just how unpopular Frank has been in my mind because I've played a ton of online matches

I don't do flight characters either, I tried for a while to get the staircase stuff down and it's not for me. Couldn't do fly combos in 3 either.

Thanks for your post I figured I couldn't be alone. Tried to get tips in Discord once or twice but finally just gave up on Capt Marvel staircase. I needed to branch out more anyways

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California
I'm still having fun playing the game for a bit every couple of days. Still not particularly good at it but I plan to put in the work if/when they buff Chris a considerable degree, among other things.

Been having fun using Sigma/Dante for the past couple of weeks. Usually just throw Space Stone with them.

Nov 2, 2017
but I plan to put in the work if/when they buff Chris a considerable degree, among other things.
I'll never comprehend this mindset. If you find the character fun already, I don't understand why a character being relatively bad would affect your decision to play the game or not. Conversely, a character being relatively good affecting said decision.

Unless you're implying the character is somehow so bad, he's not fun. If so, carry on.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
I'll never comprehend this mindset. If you find the character fun already, I don't understand why a character being relatively bad would affect your decision to play the game or not. Conversely, a character being relatively good affecting said decision.

Unless you're implying the character is somehow so bad, he's not fun. If so, carry on.
Ouch my memories of playing Iron Fist.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Iron Fist was fun as fuck, though. It's not like the character was helpless on a good team or something.
  • Iron Fist had no air options so if he ever jumped he was at a loss. No double jump, no air dash, no air specials or supers. That meant any crossup potential he had was lost.
  • Iron Fist had one good overhead, but since Crescent Heel caused a bounce state it meant that he could no longer use his crumple or his launcher that hit ground only (so dumb) if he did that effectively negating MOST of his damage potential as well as his high low pressure.
  • Iron Fist had mad rush down with his wave dash, but zero means to effectively clear zoning or to anti air aside from stray standing M. Couple this with his overhead issue stated earlier and his corner pressure became repetitive as well because he only had one high low to fall back on and it was not something viable.
  • Iron Fist rekkas were fun, but his best two tools were wall of kun lun and rising fang and BOTH required you to do several rekkas before they were allowed so his wall bounce and his fast screen traversing jumper stuffer were BOTH pulled off the table by being made super scoutable and unable to do on reflex.
  • Iron Fist had NO means around zoning on his own. Best he had was a hit of armor when performing a chi but the active frames were small and the input was a DP which meant timing was a motherfuck to spam it to get around multihit screen trash or to use as a counter. Plus performing chi buffs did NOT move Iron fist toward opponents meaning even if you had the timing down you still never got in off of it...you only delayed damage.

Trust me I tried. I REALLY TRIED. I was an Iron Fist main. Best you can do is rock him in the middle or you'll blow too much health on point with him and since he can't anchor thats what you got. He was relegated to someone whose rising fang assist was his best tool. I put him with either Tasky/Modok and always anchored Arthur because dagger assist beat everything and unlike Hawkeye Greyhound it traveled slow enough to wave dash inside of. Modok or Tasky were point for their ability to corner carry and act as backup projectile assists if they snapped in fist. Both benefitted from rising fang punishes, but Tasky worked best because his parabolic shot assist locked down oncoming in the corner so that you could continue to use Ironfist after using his damage to clean you plate off a dhc for a kill. All that damage but no real way to land a hit or control screen positions. They one at a time made his crossups, his high low, his counter, his launcher, his AA game his jumping game, and his combo potential all useless.

You wont find a bigger fan of the dude, but I wont try to pretend he wasn't damned near helpless. All his tools were either ruined by some other bad design choice or simply didn't exist.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
What was Justin Wong's Iron Fist team again?
I dont remember. I kind of wonder if it was Iron Fist/Wolverine/Akuma but I doubt it. He may play footsies but damned if that aint team "yo ass better be on point with yo shit son".

*looks it up*
Yup. He was Iron Fist/ Akuma/Storm
He was either gonna rock Wolverine or Ironfist. Iron Fist didn't work out...for anyone.

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California

The thing though is that I DON'T find Chris to be all that fun in Infinite. I can see him potentially being a lot of fun with a few basic adjustments but as of right now he's a complete liability that makes playing less fun since he doesn't really help other characters well nor can he make great use of any stone storm. Trying to use Chris basically makes other elements of the gameplay less enjoyable. Plus, you pretty much have to use Reality Stone with Chris and I find that stone really dull.

Trust me, I used Chris in Ultimate a lot and had a lot of fun using him in some pretty bad teams (Chris/V.Joe/Dante was my number 1 team) but he just isn't worth it in Infinite. I mean, Scamby, arguably the best Chris (and Nemesis) player in UMvC3 hardly uses Chris in Infinite because he's too much of a liability.

Aceun

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
I just beat the game with everyone in arcade mode and right off the bat, Chris was easily the weakest character for me. All the other characters surprised me with some fun or unique move/approach. Chris was just not fun at all.

XrossExam

Nov 1, 2017
I just want another Dante costume. I don't want to live in a world where the only Dante costume in the game is Donte. I'll take Sparda again if I have to.

Uncle Dante would be my pick.

• Iron Fist had no air options so if he ever jumped he was at a loss. No double jump, no air dash, no air specials or supers. That meant any crossup potential he had was lost.
  • Iron Fist had one good overhead, but since Crescent Heel caused a bounce state it meant that he could no longer use his crumple or his launcher that hit ground only (so dumb) if he did that effectively negating MOST of his damage potential as well as his high low pressure.
  • Iron Fist had mad rush down with his wave dash, but zero means to effectively clear zoning or to anti air aside from stray standing M. Couple this with his overhead issue stated earlier and his corner pressure became repetitive as well because he only had one high low to fall back on and it was not something viable.
  • Iron Fist rekkas were fun, but his best two tools were wall of kun lun and rising fang and BOTH required you to do several rekkas before they were allowed so his wall bounce and his fast screen traversing jumper stuffer were BOTH pulled off the table by being made super scoutable and unable to do on reflex.
  • Iron Fist had NO means around zoning on his own. Best he had was a hit of armor when performing a chi but the active frames were small and the input was a DP which meant timing was a motherfuck to spam it to get around multihit screen trash or to use as a counter. Plus performing chi buffs did NOT move Iron fist toward opponents meaning even if you had the timing down you still never got in off of it...you only delayed damage.

Trust me I tried. I REALLY TRIED. I was an Iron Fist main. Best you can do is rock him in the middle or you'll blow too much health on point with him and since he can't anchor thats what you got. He was relegated to someone whose rising fang assist was his best tool. I put him with either Tasky/Modok and always anchored Arthur because dagger assist beat everything and unlike Hawkeye Greyhound it traveled slow enough to wave dash inside of. Modok or Tasky were point for their ability to corner carry and act as backup projectile assists if they snapped in fist. Both benefitted from rising fang punishes, but Tasky worked best because his parabolic shot assist locked down oncoming in the corner so that you could continue to use Ironfist after using his damage to clean you plate off a dhc for a kill. All that damage but no real way to land a hit or control screen positions. They one at a time made his crossups, his high low, his counter, his launcher, his AA game his jumping game, and his combo potential all useless.

You wont find a bigger fan of the dude, but I wont try to pretend he wasn't damned near helpless. All his tools were either ruined by some other bad design choice or simply didn't exist.

Iron Fist got me back into UMVC3 during the dark days. His playstyle and rekka gameplay in Mahvel was and is incredibly fun but I agree with all of this, he has such a hard time capitalizing on his strengths against high mobility and zoner characters. I think the team I rocked was Dante/Iron Fist/Haggar, maybe some Vergil instead of Haggar sometimes.

I did however always feel good when I hit his Iron Rage hyper into back HP into Iron Rage again, just felt so clean when you got it.

Last edited:

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California
Someone in the Dev team just really didn't like Chris.

everybody_hates_chris_by_umbrellaspecter-d3i5u1a.jpg

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
Some leak information from reddit (take it with a grain of salt as with all leaked info) - https://www.reddit.com/r/Kappa/comments/7niilu/leakileaks_part_ii_a_statement_of_previous_ones/

Marvel vs Capcom Infinite

Season 2 is locked in to still not have any Fox characters, despite the buyout. It'll be Star-Lord, Ms. Marvel, Asura, Lady, Gill, and that last slot is down to being Rashid or Vergil now (both are in a state where one could be swapped out for the other development-wise, Gill's been done since Season 1 since he was planned for it). There's actually a very high chance that Vergil took that last slot now. Capcom Japan and Marvel have been at odds with eachother over the future of MvCI though, which is why things went down the way that they did at PSX and BotS.

The future of MvCI will be decided in about a month, give or take. It comes down to two different outcomes to my understanding. They announcing the plug is pretty much being pulled (I guess for a topical comparison, think of DOA5LR's end of support announcement) but still most likely releasing Season 2 as a sendoff, or they announce a CPT thing for it and likely tease MvCI Season 2 if not be outright with talking about what it adds. That's it. Either it lives or it dies and we find out in a monthish's time.

It's in a really odd position right now, but the chance of them in the very least releasing Season 2 regardless of if they cut off support otherwise is hopeful I hear, since so much work has already been done for those characters. So there's that. It having a proper sendoff with that being released would more than likely be the end of support altogether if they are abandoning the game.

It's what they do and decide to do with the game after that that is down to one of two outcomes.

That MvCI info comes straight from my SFV:AE source that wound up being spot on with SFV:AE's Season 3's characters that were revealed. So it is very, very likely this is what is going to be happening and what seems to be the case with how things are going and could go moving forward with its support.

Capcom from my understanding, has some level of disdain towards the whole thing. While Marvel has some disdain for them releasing something with such negative, toxic connotations that has their name on it. I'm not sure who's more wanting to cut bait on the whole thing, but it wouldn't actually surprise me if Capcom is a bit more "fuck this" about it at this point. But I can't say for sure. I know that neither side is completely happy with how things are with the game and turned out, yet both are to blame whether they want to believe it or not.

More than anything, it sounds to me like two sides that are too stubborn to admit they were wrong, yet mad about the result. But it's whether or not they actually want to put the time, money, and maturity to try and repair it that matters most.