• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

JEH

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I don't like him but ChrisG has had some good insight into the game even if it is usually salt induced.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Finally played through the story mode. I loved it. Some characters were underused but in general they nailed the kind of nonsense comic plot this franchise has been craving.

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
Finally played through the story mode. I loved it. Some characters were underused but in general they nailed the kind of nonsense comic plot this franchise has been craving.
What? No.
While I immensely enjoyed the story mode, it most definitely did not nail a "nonsense comic plot". It felt nothing like a comic. It was more like a shitty anime in structure than a shitty comic.

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
I really really really don't want this game to be dead, but the radio silence is worrying :(
No, you see, we only have to wait a month since Battle for the Stones before we get more news! People involved said so!
*checks calendar*
I mean... No, you see, we only have to wait until Street Fighter V Arcade Edition comes out! They wouldn't want to overlap their info. I'm sure they think that people losing confidence in the brand is better than potentially stealing a teensy bit of hype from their other franchise by confirming that more stuff is on the way!

I mean, they didn't think that way with BftS and LCQ but...

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
What? No.
While I immensely enjoyed the story mode, it most definitely did not nail a "nonsense comic plot". It felt nothing like a comic. It was more like a shitty anime in structure than a shitty comic.

Well capcom characters are more or less anime so yeah. But it felt like typical cross over comic to me. Team ups, yup. Arguments that lead to the good guys fighting for a bit, yup. Good guys remember who the bad guy is and fight them, mhmm. Over powered characters taking the L for "plot reasons", bingo bango. Ending hinting at a bigger threat, of course.

Felt like a modern marvel story to me lol. But yeah sure, it was very anime, as most things out of Japan tend to be.

Was no lead into Injustice or anything, but it was fun, which after their attempt in SFV, I was surprised at.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Helluva journey Chris G has had. You could see the pressure he always put on himself. If he made a mistake it always devastated him. Left him in tears many a time. The guy was legendarily "his own worst enemy" because if he ever did less than perfect he couldn't suck his mind out of that moment trying to analyze "...how? " long enough to get his head back in his set to get past it. Then one day he started to relax. To stop grinding so hard he ground himself and his nerves and stamina to dust and he's better for it. Great read.

In the end he voices what we all know...MVCI is flawed and not in the normal ways. It has some major faults in its design. Thing is who cares? Its not MVC3. Its MVCI. Yeah we all would have preferred MVC4 proper or at least a better thought out and polished version of the MVCI that hit but this is it. Its also received some balance work...serious balance work. Thats more than UMVC3 got. Instead of focusing on what the game is not I still say folks should focus on what it is and what is possible in the game. In spite of folks trying to say its "not fun" I disagree with that. It is fun, but you can't have much fun trying to make it play like some other game. You have to learn the nuances and strong shit in MVCI instead of trying to shove a square peg called "MVC3 habits" into a round hole called "this aint MVC3".

I think the biggest problem with the game is folks are playing it with the mindset that it should be something else and getting angry with it every set when it suddenly doesn't feel like that. It is its own game. MVCI is great fun. As predicted its highly reset oriented and zoning falls by the wayside for most matchups in favor of pressure and knockdown games. Doesn't mean their isn't anything good to be found there. I play LOTS of stuff. Believe me with all the poverty I play I can tell you if something is outright bad by now or if it only has a few redeeming factors. MVCI has PLENTY of interesting things going for it. Yeah it suffers from a lot of recycling and obvious budget stuff, but its a very fun game with lots of things possible in it. Its very flexible...just not in the ways MVC2 or 3 were. Folks just need to move beyond that and start learning things already.

Honestly the only thing I can think of at MVCI's core that could use enhanced is zoning...to fix that I'd simply make it so you could EX zoning moves only to make those EX projectiles unreflectable and slightly more damage. I wouldn't change any more than that. Just give them an added option to force folks to occassionally contend with a projectile so folks could still ride behind one to get inside instead of feeling like they were starting their opponent's combo for them by chasing their own fireballs inward.

My guess is that if Chris G swapped out his Monster Hunter for someone with more Zoning he would have more fun. Honestly he can't play Morrigan in this game like he could in MVC3 so I'm not sure why he insists on cycling cast around her to make his team. It wont make Morrigan able to fill the screen and run like she used to nor will she be able to ride her own shit inside on folks unabated in this game's environment. If he insists on Morrigan then maybe Morrigan/Winter Soldier, Sigma, or Venom would probably suit him better honestly. More Screen control for Morrigan and the latter two have tools he can leave longer on screen should he tag off to Morrigan. I say he should look for a new mobile screen clutter character in general though or he'll never really let himself have any fun with MVCI.

Last edited:

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
It seems no one here watched KiT, I guess? I didn't catch all of it, admittedly. Only the beginning of top 8, and some of the UMvC3 tourney. The game is still in "off-season" for many, I guess.

It's not just here, I don't really see anyone talking about it on Twitter or Reddit either. I would have expected at least some complaining about Raccoon or something.

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
It's not just here, I don't really see anyone talking about it on Twitter or Reddit either. I would have expected at least some complaining about Raccoon or something.
Again, for a lot of people this might seem like "off-season", so they aren't paying attention. It was just the holidays, as well. Everything's in a holding pattern until Capcom talks about the game again.

---------------------

Hey! How about some unrelated facts! Did you know that the amount of time between the release of Urien (last SFV season 1 character) and the announcement of new content (Halloween costumes) was 10 (ten) days? This was, of course with tiny, probably irrelevant tournament series called the Capcom Pro Tour well underway, the finals of which had a big announcement about Akuma and the completely new Season 2 cast. Did you know that the amount of time between the release of the last S2 DLC character and new announced content was -11 (negative eleven)? This is due Arcade Edition being announced before Zeku was released. Also there was that CPT thing happening again!

Just some fun facts~

Zimmiwood

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I watched it live. Was debating posting in the thread but nobody else seemed around so in the end I didn't bother.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
weird all the dlc is only on sale on steam.
Capcom hasn't really been consistent with sales on this and SFV across PSN and Steam. They put that SFV base cast battle pack on sale on PSN, but haven't yet on steam or again on PSN. I'm waiting on that one.

I was waiting for a sale on the MvCI costume bundle on PC, and would have caved earlier, but I have barely touched the game recently. They kinda lost me on sinking any more into it until they speak on its future. I probably shouldn't have bough it at launch. It's also tough to buy cosmetics when the game's kinda ugly.

Oct 25, 2017
Are there any good resources for which characters pair well with whom? Preferably text-based? I see Eventhubs has a list of common partners for each character, but it appears to be based on tournament play and doesn't have any details.

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
1500x500

Marvel Games' new Twitter header.

:(

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
Willing to go out on a limb and believe its just to promote the next wave of Marvel games. But barring adding it back on when/if season 2 comes, this still doesn't bode well.
Yeah... Though, I would think if the game had announcements coming soon they'd still be willing to put it on the banner, no? Especially since Strike Force still only has a tentative "2018" release date, and the LEGO Marvel Superheroes 2 image isn't even advertising the DLC...
Should I post "Marvel pls" or "Capcom pls?"
If the game gets canned at this point it's most definitely Marvel pulling the plug. Capcom has been shown willing to try and salvage fledgling fighting games with continued support. Marvel has been shown willing to pull the plug (read: licence) from an underperforming 'game as a service' game despite content already made for the future. (Marvel Heroes had a bunch of content already done that was never released because the game died)
Next week... in game magazines...

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know, Marvel Heroes ran for years before Marvel pulled the license, plus there was some serious behind-the-scenes drama IIRC. Capcom's only been selling MvC again for just over a year, I can't image Marvel would pull the plug that quickly.

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
I don't know, Marvel Heroes ran for years before Marvel pulled the license, plus there was some serious behind-the-scenes drama IIRC. Capcom's only been selling MvC again for just over a year, I can't image Marvel would pull the plug that quickly.
I mean, I hope they wouldn't and I'm just reading too much into things. And yeah, the CEO of Gazillion(?) turned out to be a horrible person and that probably contributed some to the cancellation of the game.

ZeroCDR

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying not to read too much into that. While the silence is maddening, I have to imagine they'd try X-Men first before pulling the plug.. but we could go all day on the boneheaded decisions going on with this series since 3.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe if we stop saying no one supports the game and that its dead and just go back to playing the game and talking about what we enjoy out of each set or tournament then the cycle of folks feeling like its about to end will stop? At this point if you say something long enough you can make everyone assume its true pretty easily. You pretty well program folks to see it negatively and can even make the end of the game become true because of that. Especially since all the positivity for the game seems largely left to discord and for conversations at the venues. IMO promote positivity and folks will remember something more positively. Focus on the negative thoughts or worries or attitudes you fear becoming true and all you'll do is promote conversations that are negative about the game and its scene and further talk about everything looking bleak.

Screw that noise. Play the damn game, and talk about how you play the game and the stuff that happened. Screw what anyone else thinks, likes or wants to say. If you like this game and want to see it succeed then all you gotta do is just talk about all the fun you have playing it and it draws more people in to do the same. Its that simple. Its how it grew to begin with...folks having a good time and sharing those moments enough that folks wanted to join in. Instead of yelling at folks for things like not focusing everything on this title and making folks feel like this is a very cut throat community where you're either in or out of the scene why not act like we're happy to take anyone and wanna see folks give it a try? If you make it seem like a huge deal and like it angers everyone if someone isn't completely about MVCI then it becomes to big because they feel like they aren't allowed other fighting games to enjoy either.

Just show up, have a good time, promote the good times you had, and let that record sit on forums and social media for folks to find. Doesn't help anything to make folks looking at us to think we hate the game and everyone in it is mad at the publisher as well. Then it just seems like NO ONE is having a good time so whats the point.

PS- Winter Soldier is incredible and walk up armor is so fun to do during ANYTHING.

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
Maybe if we stop saying no one supports the game and that its dead and just go back to playing the game and talking about what we enjoy out of each set or tournament then the cycle of folks feeling like its about to end will stop? At this point if you say something long enough you can make everyone assume its true pretty easily. You pretty well program folks to see it negatively and can even make the end of the game become true because of that. Especially since all the positivity for the game seems largely left to discord and for conversations at the venues. IMO promote positivity and folks will remember something more positively. Focus on the negative thoughts or worries or attitudes you fear becoming true and all you'll do is promote conversations that are negative about the game and its scene and further talk about everything looking bleak.

Screw that noise. Play the damn game, and talk about how you play the game and the stuff that happened. Screw what anyone else thinks, likes or wants to say. If you like this game and want to see it succeed then all you gotta do is just talk about all the fun you have playing it and it draws more people in to do the same. Its that simple. Its how it grew to begin with...folks having a good time and sharing those moments enough that folks wanted to join in. Instead of yelling at folks for things like not focusing everything on this title and making folks feel like this is a very cut throat community where you're either in or out of the scene why not act like we're happy to take anyone and wanna see folks give it a try? If you make it seem like a huge deal and like it angers everyone if someone isn't completely about MVCI then it becomes to big because they feel like they aren't allowed other fighting games to enjoy either.

Just show up, have a good time, promote the good times you had, and let that record sit on forums and social media for folks to find. Doesn't help anything to make folks looking at us to think we hate the game and everyone in it is mad at the publisher as well. Then it just seems like NO ONE is having a good time so whats the point.

PS- Winter Soldier is incredible and walk up armor is so fun to do during ANYTHING.
These are completely fair points. I know that for one I easily get bogged down in negativity, so I contribute a lot to the miasma of doom and gloom that seemingly surrounds this game. But the negativity isn't only the community's fault. The game has been handled poorly in many aspects and a lot of negativity comes from people reacting to those aspects, legitimately. I want this game to succeed and sure I could just go "oh that mayor that seemingly nobody watched? was neat, I liked so-and-so's match it was fun" and just not talk about those big name players that dropped the game or that other one that said they'd drop it if nothing was said about it within the month, but that's a bit like sticking my head into the sand, no?

However given that I do post perhaps too many doom and gloom stuff (and I'm still top poster in the thread, darn it Dahbomb post more), imma try and rectify that.

(And I know that this might not have been directed to me exactly but the shoe fits, so yea)

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
There isn't much to post about. There was a cool Iheartjustice vs RyanLV match yesterday with Iheartjustice playing Winter Soldier and Captain America. He washed RyanLV 3-0, was cool.

Right now I am just waiting for EVO to post their line up. I can't believe I am HOPING that MVCI makes the cut when in any other universe it was a no brainer shoe in.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
There isn't much to post about. There was a cool Iheartjustice vs RyanLV match yesterday with Iheartjustice playing Winter Soldier and Captain America. He washed RyanLV 3-0, was cool.

Right now I am just waiting for EVO to post their line up. I can't believe I am HOPING that MVCI makes the cut when in any other universe it was a no brainer shoe in.

shoe in? more like game before last. now, it seems it'll be lucky to have a saturday spot or something.

FSLink

Oct 25, 2017

Some cool happy birthday tech with Winter Soldier.

Dormammu pillar punish using dashing and tag

https://twitter.com/Condor0813/status/950698517562994689

Space Stone xx tag punish concept?

I think I'm gonna start reposting the shit I find on Twitter here more often. One so it's easier for me to find it again later, and two because a lot of stuff is just buried in Twitter thanks to forums being less prominent nowadays.

Last edited:

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

I think I'm gonna start reposting the shit I find on Twitter here more often. One so it's easier for me to find it again later, and two because a lot of stuff is just buried in Twitter thanks to forums being less prominent nowadays.

Tech is always appreciated. Most people here don't hound twitter for tech discoveries.

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México

Dormammu pillar punish using dashing and tag

https://twitter.com/Condor0813/status/950698517562994689

Space Stone xx tag punish concept?

That Winter Soldier loop is nuts.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
god damn is the power stone activation the most brain dead garbage in this game. the hit box is enormous and it's completely safe. it's no wonder why you see it now everywhere after reality stone got destroyed.

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
god damn is the power stone activation the most brain dead garbage in this game. the hit box is enormous and it's completely safe. it's no wonder why you see it now everywhere after reality stone got destroyed.
I never see power stone tho. I just see Space and Soul now. Used to be Space, Soul and Reality.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It's not safe, check your frame data man. And Power stone is like not even top 3 most used stone in the game... Space and Soul stone greatly out number it.

The surge is the only thing going for Power Stone.

FSLink

Oct 25, 2017
You're a Marvel 3 veteran. Figure it out. It's embarrassing to see you complain so much.

Off the top of my head, you can punish much easier if you let the Power Stone whiff. If you push block it or even just block it, in most cases the pushback makes it so you aren't in range even if Power Stone has cooldown.

Here's a Dante specific punish, I'm sure there's others. Pretty sure you can tag punish in some situations too depending on what they do after the surge.

It's not safe, check your frame data man. And Power stone is like not even top 3 most used stone in the game... Space and Soul stone greatly out number it.

It's "safe" since most characters aren't in range to punish after the pushback after blocking, and especially pushblocking. The key is to let it whiff and choose your spots.

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Lmao at "the surge is the only thing going for power stone." Dude, it blows up pressure and is great for extending combos. If anything it's the opposite.

I still use reality since I'm a scrub and I play Spidey and cap marvel, but you gotta know better dude.

FSLink

Oct 25, 2017
Lmao at "the surge is the only thing going for power stone." Dude, it blows up pressure and is great for extending combos. If anything it's the opposite.

Uh, he means surge as in "Infinity Surge". The Infinity Surge is good, but the Infinity Storm is mediocre compared to Space, Soul, and Reality. He is correct.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

I still use reality since I'm a scrub and I play Spidey and cap marvel, but you gotta know better dude.
Probably should read the part again.