• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Basically, KOF XII ended up being the "beta" for what KOF XIII ended up being. It's light yrs better than XII in every possible way.

So applying the same logic, MVC4 is going to end up being what MVCI should've been.

Hopefully if this is actually real (which I doubt) they understand that the way this game looked was a big problem.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
For reference I found the GAF thread discussing that leaker from 2014

https://www./threads/street-fighter...pattern-breaker.945766/page-22#post-143302117

XrossExam

Nov 1, 2017
While I think 3v3 is a classic Mahvel format, 2v2 really made the game different and almost more modern. The active switching reminds me of SFxT in a way but faster and more tuned around the MVC feel.

I'm fine the way the game shakes out if MVC4 is indeed real. Just give us the same incredible netcode of MVCI (yes it's that good) and frenetic gameplay of the series with the level of polish and presentation that vanilla MVC3 had. When I play MVCI, it just bums me out when I look at the way the game looks and the incredibly lazy presentation. Start up a copy of the original MVC3 and you'll see what I mean, even the intro is incredible.

Also just give me Gene from God Hand please...

pochi

Oct 25, 2017
Let's go!
BcIj4pL.gif

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
I'd personally prefer 2v2. I find it more approachable than 3v3.
For many players its pretty much a thing that they'll have a main they get really good at then a backup or secondary they learn that compliments. It takes folks awhile to get a good third and in tag games or tag with assists instead of say a KOF style elimination systems its even worse as team mates have to pair well during another character's match as an assist or tag partner.

I know some folks will protest and talk about how they can learn a bunch of characters and its no big deal because of fundamentals and how pros do that all the time and its true to a degree, but mains and secondary's is where many folks reside. Folks specialize in characters more than fundamentals in many cases. Its why some folks dont transfer outside their games as easily as others. This approach of "find my guys" instead of "master this games fundamentals" is more approachable to many as it narrows the amount they try to get good at. Makes choosing to commit feel less daunting if its just thinking of it as two characters instead of training the less flashy stuff all the time like dashunders, baiting, teching and other fundamental stuff. Granted its narrow minded to think just learning your guys will ever make your gameplay great since fundamentals will hold you through ANY matchup but its how folks work casually and in basic tactics. Often they start with characters then try to get good at the game fundamentals later when it should be the other way around. Because of that...folks more easily digest 2v2 pairings than 3v3 synergy setups that can have point and two assists, main backup and battery, or any other of different strategic team setups involved in just getting them to function well depending on who is in or out at the time.

Overall...I think 2v2 is easier to start getting invested in, but with a system like MVCI it's gonna be a beast to master same as any 3v3 would have been. Difference is that in 2v2 players wont keep blaming a third character and spending all their time testing new anchors or trios instead of practicing fundamentals. A lot of folks tend to get a duo and then spend all their time rolling in and out third dudes with them instead of sticking to their concept team and grinding fundamentals to maximize their gaming with them.

Im fine with either, but if it involves the return of assists I want 3v3 all the way or at least more than 2 assists in a 2v2 game to use. I dont care if its choose a stone, choose a partner, choose both their assists and then choose a third assist based off of equipping an item like say the cosmic cube or mjolnir to your team. I dont really count stone moves to this because they are just additional moves...not assist style moves you can do during other moves. Just so long as I have 3 assists (1 for each character and one either can use) total so I can always have more than a single option to call for either of my dudes out there I'm good in an assist setup.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
My kingdom for universal assist items not saddled to characters so I can play any team with any assists I want in Marvel In4nite.

I dont care if its like an A.I.M. scientist throwing beakers of glowing stuff at folks for stun/debuffs, or if its Life model decoys acting as attack absorbing meat shields.
Gimme dat assist return and remove the character aspect from it. We got tags for that synergy setup. Gimme the assist stuff in some manner and give it to me in such a way I dont have to play doom or who ever has an assist thats top tier on my team just to get that tool. Lemme equip hidden missiles fired from Machine Man as he runs out to help my Winter Soldier/Sigma team.

You think Smash ASSIST trophies are popular? Make it an actual assist concept in Marvel In4nite.
  • throw out a mettool as an armored low defense when in the helmet and a low projectile attack when he pops ups as assist on team venom/spidey
  • use the capcom shmup ships from Vulgus and 1941 to fly out and shoot folks on team Haggar/Chris
  • have the infamous Helicopter made by capcom crash into an opponent and explode on team Dante/Hawkeye
  • Use the wand of watoomb from marvel to enhance the projectile damage of Dr Strange/Dorm magic
  • Have marvel zombies wonder out and act like MVC2 Jill's zombies on team Frank West/ Jedah
  • Have a bulldozer from DAMAGE CONTROL in Marvel drive by cleaning up debris and rubble mow people down on team Ultron/Rocket Raccoon
Concept writes itself. Make assists an assist item and have it function like MVC2/MVC3 assist stuff as a universal assist move for teams, leave them their much more open ended tag stuff for synergy craziness, and use infinity stone extra moves and infinity storms to cover gaps in movesets and add comeback strats.

Last edited:

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California
My kingdom for universal assist items not saddled to characters so I can play any team with any assists I want in Marvel In4nite.

I dont care if its like an A.I.M. scientist throwing beakers of glowing stuff at folks for stun/debuffs, or if its Life model decoys acting as attack absorbing meat shields.
Gimme dat assist return and remove the character aspect from it. We got tags for that synergy setup. Gimme the assist stuff in some manner and give it to me in such a way I dont have to play doom or who ever has an assist thats top tier on my team just to get that tool. Lemme equip hidden missiles fired from Machine Man as he runs out to help my Winter Soldier/Sigma team.

This is why assists were dropped.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I hope this mostly means more characters, significantly higher production values, and more meaningful content.

The actual mechanics are great and I don't want them to revert back to Ultimate (though they can bring back 3v3, just with active switching).
That's my ideal scenario. Bring back 3v3 if you want, just keep the active tag system.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
3v3 with active tag honestly sounds like the most complicated fighting game in existence.

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
Gosh no, active tag with 3v3 sounds like a disaster.

I really liked the gameplay of MvCI, which is why I was so sad to see it die. Even if they made a new MvC game, the mechanics of that would be different enough that the possibilities of MvCI's system would never be explored.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Oh hey, since this thread is kind of alive again I guess I'll post my current reshade setup for others to use. This one's optimized for 1080p, so no fucking around with 4K or downsampling required.

Here's the regular version. Here's an alternative in case the regular one breaks your Steam overlay. You should be able to just drop the files into the installation folder. Let me know if you're having problems getting it to work.

Some screenshot comparisons:
0qBw2i2.jpg

cARtl3o.jpg

lmoYOiG.jpg

T3s75Cl.jpg

xsQzV2K.jpg

MFJKU0b.jpg

I also have replacement themes for Marvel characters that don't have a MvC3 theme to fall back on.

DantesLink

Oct 26, 2017
Oh hey, since this thread is kind of alive again I guess I'll post my current reshade setup for others to use. This one's optimized for 1080p, so no fucking around with 4K or downsampling required.

Here's the regular version. Here's an alternative in case the regular one breaks your Steam overlay. You should be able to just drop the files into the installation folder. Let me know if you're having problems getting it to work.

Some screenshot comparisons:
0qBw2i2.jpg

cARtl3o.jpg

lmoYOiG.jpg

T3s75Cl.jpg

xsQzV2K.jpg

MFJKU0b.jpg

I also have replacement themes for Marvel characters that don't have a MvC3 theme to fall back on.
Thanks for the update, I have an older one (Required 4K). How do I remove that first?

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still skeptical of the MvC4 rumor, but IF it's legit, surely they're going to update the graphical style or at least not go ham on the post-procesding filters like they did in MvCI. Right? I would certainly hope so, but they could have easily patched them out to clean up the visuals in MvCI but never did.

Also, I thought the mash up stages in MvCI were a failed experiment. Again, big IF, but if happening, I hope they scrap all the stages and just stick to individually themed stages with just small crossover nods like in MvC3 stages. I guess it would depend on if they ditch the whole infinity gem thing.

Doctrine Dark

Nov 13, 2017
I seriously doubt they'd reuse this artstyle in the next game. I'm sure the backlash was loud enough for them to understand.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I'm still skeptical of the MvC4 rumor, but IF it's legit, surely they're going to update the graphical style or at least not go ham on the post-procesding filters like they did in MvCI. Right? I would certainly hope so, but they could have easily patched them out to clean up the visuals in MvCI but never did.

Also, I thought the mash up stages in MvCI were a failed experiment. Again, big IF, but if happening, I hope they scrap all the stages and just stick to individually themed stages with just small crossover nods like in MvC3 stages. I guess it would depend on if they ditch the whole infinity gem thing.
IF we get another game, I feel like Infinity Stones would be gone while the Active Tag stuff would stick around (since that got a lot of praise).

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México

I actually really liked the stages. ;_;

IF we get another game, I feel like Infinity Stones would be gone while the Active Tag stuff would stick around (since that got a lot of praise).
See, the issue is that we never got to see what fine-tuning could be done for the Infinity Stone system. It was interesting, akin to the ISMs. And since it's all probably going to be scrapped if we get another game to avoid the conection to MvCI...

Doctrine Dark

Nov 13, 2017
Above all else, I'm just glad to see this thread more active again. I'm still skeptical, but I'm also optimistic. No active Marvel just doesn't feel right to me, so I really want to see this series return stronger than ever.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Just give me a top Thanos team in grand finals is all I ask. I love me some big body. Especially one with ports.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Needs more Palm Breakers in here.

Last edited:

Doctrine Dark

Nov 13, 2017
This version of Thanos is far more fun to me than his MVC2 iteration.

A lot of people seemed to have issues with his moveset, but I never understood why.

FSLink

Oct 25, 2017
Gosh no, active tag with 3v3 sounds like a disaster.

I really liked the gameplay of MvCI, which is why I was so sad to see it die. Even if they made a new MvC game, the mechanics of that would be different enough that the possibilities of MvCI's system would never be explored.

How about...2v2 with Active Tag but instead of stones you have assist-only characters. Instead of X-Factor depending on the type of character assist you get different "X-Factors". So it'd be pseudo 3v3 but not really.

Doctrine Dark

Nov 13, 2017
The part about it being released between Mar-Apr does make me wonder, though. An announcement makes more sense than the actual game being released so soon....unless they were working on it the entire time.

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
How about...2v2 with Active Tag but instead of stones you have assist-only characters. Instead of X-Factor depending on the type of character assist you get different "X-Factors". So it'd be pseudo 3v3 but not really.
So basically Stones, if Stones were characters and "X-Factors" Eh. We barely had a modicum of balance with 6 Infinity Stones, if the assists are characters there'd be the expectation from people of adding more and that'd be a bit much, plus the added complexity of choosing even more stuff just makes my eyes gloss over.

But yes I guess that's one way to do it.

FSLink

Oct 25, 2017
So basically Stones, if Stones were characters and "X-Factors" Eh. We barely had a modicum of balance with 6 Infinity Stones, if the assists are characters there'd be the expectation from people of adding more and that'd be a bit much, plus the added complexity of choosing even more stuff just makes my eyes gloss over.

But yes I guess that's one way to do it.

It'd be a good way of utilizing characters that had little or no chance of being playable anyway.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Its not really stones because stones act like special moves that lock the action of your character that is on point. Assists don't lock the action of your character which allows you to do more stuff with assists. And MVC1 already did this and you can just expand the X Factor/Infinity Storm concept to it.

I think a lot of people would get a kick out of using Captain Commando's or Black Heart's assist.

FSLink

Oct 25, 2017
Its not really stones because stones act like special moves that lock the action of your character that is on point. Assists don't lock the action of your character which allows you to do more stuff with assists. And MVC1 already did this and you can just expand the X Factor/Infinity Storm concept to it.

I think a lot of people would get a kick out of using Captain Commando's or Black Heart's assist.

Yep. Basically combine MvC1 with MvCI's assist systems and ideally make them infinite use since it's more fun imo. Balance them with smaller/larger cooldowns, stronger/weaker "X-Factors" power ups (example: Iceman could reduce all chip damage or something), etc.

It would also give a better cross-over feel since it's almost 3v3 characters, and still get to keep the Active Tag 2v2 system which really deserves another go at it (it's so close to being amazing imo). And it would give a lot of the more obscure characters more exposure than being hidden to just artwork in a Heroes and Heralds like mode.

Doctrine Dark

Nov 13, 2017
So not only did Ken deny rude link about the Laura/Rashid leaks, but he also says the only talk is apparently from something Whiteblack saw on discord from US players.

https://twitter.com/KenBogard/status/1083086942055661569
https://twitter.com/KenBogard/status/1083086008260927489

Seen at least two different translators talk about them insisting their sources are legit, but Ken seems to paint a different picture altogether. The language barrier did make things difficult to assess, so there's that.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
So not only did Ken deny rude link about the Laura/Rashid leaks, but he also says the only talk is apparently from something Whiteblack saw on discord from US players.

https://twitter.com/KenBogard/status/1083086942055661569
https://twitter.com/KenBogard/status/1083086008260927489

Seen at least two different translators talk about them insisting their sources are legit, but Ken seems to paint a different picture altogether. The language barrier did make things difficult to assess, so there's that.
Ok the names Rashid and Laura are too specific to come out from nowhere. French people are weird

Doctrine Dark

Nov 13, 2017
Yeah, it just sounds like he's backpedaling on that. No idea why.

I doubt someone would falsely accuse him of coming up with that. It just seems illogical to me.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Probably just means Microsoft offered Marvel and Capcom some money and they said yes.

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine if at the end of Avengers End Game mutants happen due to the infinity glove. And then mvci relaunches with xmen and fantastic 4.