• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
Link: http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/data/pdf/explanation/2017/2nd/explanation_2017_2nd_01.pdf

pdf_17.png

Note: It's at 900k units of a 2 million forecast.

Oct 27, 2017
VERY interesting : Forecasting digital download sales ratio of 33.6% (31.5% last year), due to expanding sales of full-game and add-on digital downloads

STGHMAAV

Oct 26, 2017
With shipped units, the problem is as always, how many were really sold at retail.

Oct 25, 2017
Either they overshipped or they sold a lot more digital copies.

And considering they had less revenue than Rabbids did, I doubt it contributed US contributed THAT much to the total count.

Mark H

Oct 27, 2017
Less than half of their 2 million sales target.
I wonder what they'll do with it, since SFV has shown that it's almost impossible to recover from a failed launch, and it doesn't get as much coverage in the esports scene as SFV.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Remember Street Fighter V. It's gonna stay at 900 thousand for a while.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
If it sold anywhere near that, on the shoestring budget it had, I'd assume it's somewhat of a success?

Hot damn it really is $13 on CDKeys lmao. I remember it was like $25 a month before launch.

KCS

Oct 27, 2017
Not only is it less than half of their target, but its also shipped numbers. The actual sales of the game are probably a complete disaster.

OP
OP
ggx2ac

ggx2ac

Oct 25, 2017
Capcom is still not revealing their forecast for MHW.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Like people said all the results we have (lower than Rabbids in US, bad numbers in Europe/Japan) point out to low sales. It was probably overshipped like Street Fighter V.

CQC

Oct 25, 2017
Two major flops from their top fighting game franchises.

One was bare bones, and the other was uninspired outside of the gameplay department.

Capcom of old, where art thou?

Rainrir

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I guess... this is good...? Or is it bad...? Lol

Given what we know of Japanese sales, it is overshipped in Japan (20% to 40% sell though, 8k-10k FW). It likely massively over-shipped in Europe as well. This is given that game failed to chart in UK, which is the market most similar to US in EU, and Capcom said in their own report this game was intended for US and Europe.

We can estimate Japan's allocation is between 20k (lowest) to 50k. This means that 850k between EU and US. I believe Capcom, and all of us, knows US is the stronger region for this game, so I can see it being split 30-70, 40-60 or more in US' favor. This means almost 600k for USA.

Unless US does something crazy like selling through 500k units, It is likely to be overshipped in US as well. Their goal is 2 million by this FY no? If I am right, they only shipped half of that and have problems selling through the initial shipment already

Last edited:

OniluapL

Oct 25, 2017
Steamspy numbers are very, very low.

Owners: 27,155 ± 4,888 (it fluctuated a bit, was at 37k a few days ago, if you want to be optimistic)

So, unless the percentage of copies sold on PC is ridiculously low, yeah, It overshipped.

KHlover

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd assume this was massively overshipped. I don't expect the 900k to change in the next quarter...or two.

Gifted

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Less than half of their 2 million sales target.
I wonder what they'll do with it, since SFV has shown that it's almost impossible to recover from a failed launch, and it doesn't get as much coverage in the esports scene as SFV.
Unfortunately they didn't learn from SFV. They should've ate the cost of the first 6 DLC characters and rolled them into the base roster. I'm no financial analyst, but I'd be willing to bet that would have made a big impact on the perception of the game and helped to mitigate the seeming irreparable damage such a barebones roster had on the launch compounded with the other complaints.

I purchased the deluxe game in hopes that the game would get better over time but I'm guessing the sales will stay pretty flat as SFV did. It's unfortunate because the 3 DLC characters so far seem much more polished, and help bring excitement to the game. We'll see what happens but it's likely too little too late.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
Two major flops from their top fighting game franchises.

One was bare bones, and the other was uninspired outside of the gameplay department.

Capcom of old, where art thou?
Isn't SFV at least now looking more competent as a product and the future looks decent if they can at least keep up the current trajectory? SFV: Arcade looking to add more V triggers alone looks like a good step forward.

MvC3 shipped 2 million in it's first month.
Don't know who gave them the bright idea of focusing on the hardcore for a game like this. From the start, after the initial hype wore off, the only positive things about the game were the news of the gameplay being very good from those that managed to play it at events. There was nothing to hook the casual audience in. Those 2 million ppl would have looked at MVCI and wondered why they'd bother getting it when they have MVC which frankly looks much better presentation wise tbh.

DR2K

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
If they're expecting lifetime sales of 2 million, then it's almost possible. Game had no budget, almost no new content, reused assets up the ass from the last game, no production values, and no advertising outside of a few FGC heads and they still haven't released the best characters the series can offer.

Krysuk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
10€ on CDkeys is all you need to know.

And STILL I can't bring myself to buy it, when I thought ÂŁ10 was the price I'd crumble at...

Was a HUGE HUGE fan of this and the other vs series prior to it becoming Marvel

Capcom fucked me off so much with what they did with MvC3 which I bought day 1 and then announcing and releasing UMvC 6 months later

Since then we've had the barebones SFV release that I preordered straight away and loved the Beta, but refused to buy in the state they released it!
I eventually bought on deep discount of ÂŁ25 including 1st year season pass, it's passable these days but it's no SF4

I really have voted with my wallet when it comes to Capcom and will only buy their fighting games on deep discounts after they bothered to finish developing the game

Even making RE7 PSVR exclusive for a year stopped me getting that on any platform. Waiting on Vive support before I buy, which will turn out to be the gold edition by then and probably on deep discount.
RE used to be a day1 purchase EVERYTIME. And despite seeing it stupidly low on pricing the past few months, I'm sticking to my principles

There are so many amazing games these days Capcom don't deserve my money except of large sales.

Personally I hope Monster Hunter World flops by not being portable, they are no longer the company I gre up with

Oct 25, 2017
If they're expecting lifetime sales of 2 million, then it's almost possible. Game had no budget, almost no new content, reused assets up the ass from the last game, no production values, and no advertising outside of a few FGC heads and they still haven't released the best characters the series can offer.
They're expecting fiscal year sales of 2 million, they clearly expect it to continue selling into 2018.

EXPBonus

Oct 30, 2017
Is there any well known reason, that I'm missing, as to why Capcom have gone from good games to trash ones?

Neonep

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not surprised.
1. Horrible PR.
2. Small budget that hampered it in numerous ways.
3. No X-Men.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Better than I expected honestly. And should be enough for them to continue to support the game, which is all I really care about.

Is there any well known reason, that I'm missing, as to why Capcom have gone from good games to trash ones?

SFV and MvCI are both exceptionally well playing fighting games at their core. Some lackluster stuff around them has gimped them (SFV=Content at launch, MvCI=Presentation), but they're not trash games at all. And RE7 was cool.

Mark H

Oct 27, 2017
Not recovering from the mass exodus of their talented devs back in the day, unwillingness to make the necessary investments, failed engine development, misreading the market trends.
In terms of game quality though, at least RE team and MH team still seems to know how to make a good game given enough budget.

Neonep

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know about all their other games but SFV was lacking modes which caused bad word of mouth and had a horrible launch. MVC:I was poorly promoted and from all of the whispers had an incredibly small budget and it showed in every way possible from poor character models to horrible UI. Also Marvel hamstrung them by not allowing them to use X-Men characters.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
They started struggling to compete with Western developers, and instead of revamping the company to try and keep up a la Square Enix, they opted for heavy cost cutting five years in a row, which took a lot out of their products.

EXPBonus

Oct 30, 2017
Better than I expected honestly. And should be enough for them to continue to support the game, which is all I really care about.

SFV and MvCI are both exceptionally well playing fighting games at their core. Some lackluster stuff around them has gimped them (SFV=Content at launch, MvCI=Presentation), but they're not trash games at all. And RE7 was cool.

Not recovering from the mass exodus of their talented devs back in the day, unwillingness to make the necessary investments, failed engine development, misreading the market trends.
In terms of game quality though, at least RE team and MH team still seems to know how to make a good game given enough budget.

I don't know about all their other games but SFV was lacking modes which caused bad word of mouth and had a horrible launch. MVC:I was poorly promoted and from all of the whispers had an incredibly small budget and it showed in every way possible from poor character models to horrible UI. Also Marvel hamstrung them by not allowing them to use X-Men characters.

They started struggling to compete with Western developers, and instead of revamping the company to try and keep up a la Square Enix, they opted for heavy cost cutting five years in a row, which took a lot out of their products.

Wow, thanks for the replies all!
Very informative, I've been a long time Capcom fan, just painful to see things going the way they are right now!
Hopefully a few rising superstars in the industry come and change the mindset of the company (probably wishful thinking)

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
Their forecast is for 2M unitl the end of the current FY, so we wont really know if this start is good or bad until he wear how much they shipped in the next quarter. That was the issue for SFV, 1st shipment wasnt huge, but what made it worse is that we learned that was even overshipped

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017

My impression is that they scaled back on budget and that backfired for everything not named Monster hunter.

I don't think their last batch of games is bad per se. People just don't buy them.

OP
OP
ggx2ac

ggx2ac

Oct 25, 2017
Their forecast is for 2M unitl the end of the current FY, so we wont really know if this start is good or bad until he wear how much they shipped in the next quarter. That was the issue for SFV, 1st shipment wasnt huge, but what made it worse is that we learned that was even overshipped

Dragon's Dogma (360/PS3) is also a good example of this. Shipped 1 million units initially from May iirc, Capcom declared it a new major franchise. Failed to get to 1.5M sales by the end of the FY, what happened to it after Dark Arisen: Dragon's Dogma Online (Japan only).

Neonep

Oct 25, 2017
I just read the entire report. They seem to be doing well enough financially. They are up in more areas than they are down. One thing is blatantly obvious is that they are going to announce a new title soon.

Neonep

Oct 25, 2017
My impression is that they scaled back on budget and that backfired for everything not named Monster hunter.

I don't think their last batch of games is bad per se. People just don't buy them.
People don't buy them because of the bad word of mouth. SFV & MVC:I are at a minimum good games. When they do things well enough they have games like RE7 and hopefully MHW.

Aranea

Oct 25, 2017
Slightly better than I anticipated

Hopefully this teaches Capcom to put more effort and work into their future games,especially fighting games