• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
MvC:I had a ton of hype behind it at first. Really all they needed to do was just make another MvC game at that point, and they were doin that. And booooyyy were people excited. Myself included. But we all know how it turned out. A very black-sheep MvC game that turned a lot of people off either through it's roster, it's presentation, or just a general lack of "soul" that it's previous entries had in spades.

Let me say one thing that I think that is really overlooked in the general base and why I think MvC:I is such an incredible shame.

MvC:I is a fucking AWESOME fighting system

While I previously made a thread *coughdrunkbutstillmyrealfeelingscough* that went over WONDERFULLY on how I think there is a case for SFV being one of the best fighting games of all time, I think I had the most raw fun with MvC:I's fighting system than any other fighting game this generation. It's active tag system is just fucking bonkers. It makes the game's options feel....well....infinite. And while I'm not sure if I would take it over UMvC3's in the long run, it created something brand new that still captured the spirit of MvC in a different type of way. It gave us a whole new way to do (arguably even more) fucked up shit and attempt to break the game like you're supposed to do.

However, basically all of this is now dust, as MvC:I has been dead to all but the absolutely most dedicated since just months after it's release. Capcom/Marvel abandoned it so bad that the even the fucking character select screen is uneven after the DLC.

Why did this happen? Timing seems to be the main cause, and man is that unfortunate.

At the time this is where Marvel was at when it came to games...

-They had just announced that they were coming back to console gaming, after years prior saying they were pretty much done with it and concentrating just on mobile

-MvC:I if I remember correctly was their very first announced foray back into this. So this is before the success of Spider-Man PS4 and such, making them still very cautious

-This was during a time that Marvel was still extremely restrictive of how their IPs could be utilized in games. Characters that Marvel did not have the film rights to, such as the X-Men and Fantastic Four, they would not allow developers to use in their games. This was a huge blow to MvC:I in particular, as MvC without characters like Wolverine, Magneto, and Doom just doesn't feel right. Wolvie and Magneto in particular are basically mascots of the series in different ways.

-This restrictiveness also continued to extend to the characters that WERE included in the game. They all were created in a kind of odd, attempting-to-be-semi-realistic style that were meant to evoke their movie counterparts. Their themes also were designed in this same vein. Going from things like this...

To very typical, heroic sounding movie shit for nearly every character like this...

(Yes I know some people aren't big fans of UMvC3 soundtrack, but no matter how filled with techno/dub shit it was, it was undoubtedly more memorable than MvC:I's)

All of this lead to obviously what ended up being pretty much the single biggest issue with the game, it's presentation, or lack of it. Ironically, by Marvel being more strict on how Capcom portray their characters correctly, they ended up sucking the soul out of the character roster in the process. The explosive and exciting nature that all the previous MvC games were known for was either completely gone, or buried so deep under the surface that it could only be found be the most dedicated players, and it was only evoked in it's fighting system, still not the presentation itself.

Now, let's imagine if MvC:I was coming out this year instead...

-Marvel has now gotten more comfortable in the console gaming market again, especially after they success of Spider-Man. They seem to understand giving the reigns to companies like Sony/Insomniac who have already proved themselves handily in the console games market and letting them just fund and develop the shit out of it can lead to great results.

-Most important thing is, even before the Fox merger this was starting to finally happen, but now that the Fox merger is confirmed Marvel is allowing all games (fucking finally) to include the extremely important groups of characters from comics they previously did not hold the movie rights to. Hell Wolverine is front and center on the UA3 art.

mua3blackordercover2500.jpg

Beautiful! They're in general more relaxed with characters they don't own the rights to now too. For instance, Spider-Gwen is also on the cover as well.

These points alone would have been MASSIVE for MvC:I. If the game were released now, it would certainly include staples such as Wolvie, Magneto, and Doom I'm sure. I'm sure that, the at this point more experienced, Marvel game studios would have allowed Capcom more flexibility in how they presented the game as well. Leading to a more familiar MvC through and through most likely that while still may have not have been perfect in some ways, almost assuredly would have been much more successful than what we got in 2017.

It's just.....such a shame. I start playing MvC:I again recently after the Endgame hype, and by god is it a fucking rad game from a gameplay perspective. It's one of the worst cases of "what could have been" that I may have ever seen in the video game industry. I'm sure Capcom is to blame to a certain extent as well, as I'm sure this was a project they were probably pushing to get super hard, and because of that probably overestimated how much they could keep up with Marvel's needs at the time. They probably just played pretty much completely by their rules, and just didn't know how to fully once they were in it. Which I'm sure is what helped lead to the weird-ass character models and shit. So much had changed about Marvel reach and influence from the release to UMvC3 to MvC:I, and everything about the timing and creation of MvC:I just seemed to come together in the the worst way. If it would have just came a little later.... just....fuck.....such a shame....

Last edited:

Deleted member 54469

User requested account closure
Mar 4, 2019
honestly i don't have much to contribute. i just wanted to say i agree with everything you said as someone who bought MvCI at launch. i really hope they find some way to continue the franchise again after fucking up with MvCI so hard because as of right now all capcom seems to think will remedy it with the community is rereleasing mvc3 time and time again.

absolutely great post though, like you were spot on. it's really a shame that like 99% of went wrong with this game though was probably just timing. i mean if they dropped it with endgame it probably would've made people even forget mk11 was a thing.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
It sucks because me, a huge Megaman X fan and someone who's been pushing for X since pre-MvC3, straight up skipped the game. It's release as a whole was just too, man, rough. That release put a nail in this series. It's depressing because man idk, feels like my love of Capcom fighters just isn't what it used to be while my love for the others is still there.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a really good game, shame. RiP.

Dale Copper

Apr 12, 2018
The fact that DBZ fighters came out ate ate MvCI lunch and dinner is just amazing.

GG Capcom & Disney.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Yeah, a MVC:I with a more relaxed Marvel and coinciding closer to a big MCU movie would've been a much better title all around. MVC:I definitely has its moments, but you can feel a lot of the restrictions from outside factors on it.

Oct 25, 2017
The entire marvel capcom franchise started with an xmen game and then they don't include the xmen.

I know that was Disney's call but man it was dead in the water at that point. That and it looks like they made it with $3

stumblebee

The Fallen
Jan 22, 2018
I don't mean to self-promote, but I made a video addressing a lot of the pre-release nonsense surrounding MvCI.

TL;DW: Basically, it never got off on the right foot, and stumbled time and time again with the tastemakers of the FGC. People were looking to shit on capcom for a poor SFV launch, and their showing at E3 2017 was one of the worst first showcases for a game like this that I'd ever seen.

i-hate-u

Oct 25, 2017
Yo Marvel can fook off, they ruined the game. Capcom should just make their own cross-over fighter featuring their characters ONLY.

And no, it should be in the vein of UMVC3 not MVCI

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
It goes to show that gameplay can't carry a game alone, especially a fighting game. It needs a great roster, slick aesthetic, diverse backgrounds with charisma and an ace soundtrack to boot.

Xbox Live Mike

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
USA
It was a bad product, this is coming from a HUGE MVC and VS fan. The artwork was poorly done for many characters, the load times were bad and the lack of some characters being available didn't help.

Deleted member 17658

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The fact that DBZ fighters came out ate ate MvCI lunch and dinner is just amazing.

GG Capcom & Disney.
which is doubly amazing because its such a contrast in mechanics to why hardcores loved mvc series.

Capcom and Marvel are just not a good duo anymore. Marvel is like that guy you use to be nice to when he was down but became famous and treats you like your lesser than him now.

Last edited:

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017

GG Capcom & Disney.

which is doubly amazing because its such a contrast in mechanics to why hardcores loved mvc series.

Capcom and Disney are just not a good duo anymore. Disney is like that guy you use to be nice to when he was down but became famous and treats you like your lesser than him now.

I don't think Disney had much to do with MVCI.

I believe it all falls on Marvel Entertainment. From my understanding, it was Ike Perlmutter's call to blacklist all X-Men/FF related characters from their liscensed media because he was bitter about Fox retaining the movie rights.

Perlmutter was also trying to make Inhumans supplant the X-Men...and look how that turned out.

Stone Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
MVCI didn't suffer from a timing issue, the game looked like shit the roster fucking sucked with nearly nothing but MVC3 repeats the marketing was as tone deaf as you can get and the DLC was a fucking insult considering the base roster.

And I'm sorry but even beyond that I would never call it a good game because of how clowny the balancing was. Whatever was left of the game died because nobody wants to see or play Dormammu mirrors.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
The story looked poor and the visuals were horrendous, its what kept me from playing the game. That and its mcu focus. Lack of really new characters, yet they took out old ones

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Infinite was a huge mistake on Capcom and Marvel's part. On the bright side, we might get a real MVC4 if they ever go back to the franchise.

Vagabond

Oct 26, 2017
United States
I remember the meh reaction to the unveil. It was doomed from there. So much Capcom could've done differently, and instead threw excuses (functions) at the die hard fans. Timing was the least of its issues.

Oct 27, 2017
Timing had nothing to do with it looking ugly as fuck.
A MvC:I that had a "cartoon" artstyle in the vein of DBFZ would have sold way more SOLELY because of that look

Yo Marvel can fook off, they ruined the game. Capcom should just make their own cross-over fighter featuring their characters ONLY.
LOL, Capcom can't even afford to make Street Fighter games without outside help anymore

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
I think the Superbest Friends put it pretty spot on:

It's a game where the people in charge of gameplay worked so hard to make something amazing and they were let down by absolutely everyone else involved in the game.

Oct 26, 2017
Capcom should make another versus fighter with a separate franchise ala Tatsunoko VS Capcom. Giving Disney any form of control is going to hurt the game.

Deleted member 17658

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think Disney had much to do with MVCI.

I believe it all falls on Marvel Entertainment. From my understanding, it was Ike Perlmutter's call to blacklist all X-Men/FF related characters from their liscensed media because he was bitter about Fox retaining the movie rights.

Perlmutter was also trying to make Inhumans supplant the X-Men...and look how that turned out.
yea i meant Marvel but fraudulent slipped to Disney.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
MVC3/UMVC3 was my most played game from 2011 to 2017, and I still enter tournaments for that game when they come up. The fact that MVCI's gameplay was so drastically different from its immediate predecessor made it feel like it was an entirely different game and not even a sequel. While I'm not going to sit here and try to argue that it's a bad game, it was just so different that I never felt at all compelled to even get into it in the first place.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
That's not to say that Capcom is completely free of blame, but yeah, MvCI was conceived at the worst possible time for both companies (the Fox ban being one of the biggest offenders on Marvel's end). It's a damn shame, as MvCI has one of the best gameplay mechanics of the entire series.

And no, it should be in the vein of UMVC3 not MVCI
But let's be honest, a perfect Versus game with only Capcom characters would sell only a fraction of what a crossover would sell (Marvel or otherwise). Capcom just doesn't have many franchises outside of the Big 5 that would garner enough hype to move units outside of hardcore fans like us. Starting small & growing from there like what Killer Instinct did could work, though.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I don't mean to self-promote, but I made a video addressing a lot of the pre-release nonsense surrounding MvCI.

TL;DW: Basically, it never got off on the right foot, and stumbled time and time again with the tastemakers of the FGC. People were looking to shit on capcom for a poor SFV launch, and their showing at E3 2017 was one of the worst first showcases for a game like this that I'd ever seen.

good video so far. thanks.

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
Well shit even with the excuses for the Marvel side of the roster, the Capcom side sucked too no rights issues involved

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I remember the meh reaction to the unveil. It was doomed from there. So much Capcom could've done differently, and instead threw excuses (functions) at the die hard fans. Timing was the least of its issues.
While I do agree that Capcom could have handled it better, it's not like they could throw Marvel under the bus regarding the Fox ban. Granted we would have respected Capcom for being honest, but it's a dick move to screw over your partner like that.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
MVCI didn't suffer from a timing issue...

And I'm sorry but even beyond that I would never call it a good game because of how clowny the balancing was. Whatever was left of the game died because nobody wants to see or play Dormammu mirrors.
As the OP spelled out, an MVC game released in conjunction with Endgame would be way better off simply because the roster wouldn't have been as needlessly restricted.

And for a game that only ever received one significant patch, the balance was pretty good.

Well shit even with the excuses for the Marvel side of the roster, the Capcom side sucked too no rights issues involved
Nemesis but not Wesker

why

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I tried out the game. I wanted to like it, to see the great game below the shit aesthetic. I hated it. I hated the infinity gems, which ended up feeling ridiculously unbalanced. I hated the new control scheme, which made learning different characters harder. I hated the replacement of 3v3 with assists for 2v2 tag battles, and how awkward many of my favorites from Marvel 3 felt, and I just didn't find it enjoyable.

I think it speaks miles that there are more people playing Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 on Steam right now than Marvel vs Capcom Infinite. Infinite's mechanics, the best part of the game, still weren't good enough to keep a larger hardcore audience than its predecessor.

ZeroCDR

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's a real shame how this all turned out. Imagine an extra year in the oven, fixing up the visual style and not being affected by the Fox ban, that would have easily made a huge difference.

The game is ugly, the roster sucks (the DLC characters should have been included in base), we even got downgraded to 2v2.. but they still NAILED the gameplay and it's such a blast to play. Online play is so tremendously smooth and feels practically offline 99% of the time, easily the best performing netcode I've experienced for a fighting game to date.

These issues could have been fixed up over time through DLC, and that seemed to be the plan, but the base package was such a disappointment it got meme'd to death and DBFZ came out and.. that's that.

Here's to Capcom's redemption plan that hopefully includes Marvel 4 apology edition or Capcom vs Capcom.

mojo

Oct 25, 2017
Nah mvci has a terrible fighting system. Being able to just tag whenever is too dumb even for a marvel game.

Oct 25, 2017
That's why I'm saying that Capcom isn't completely free of blame, they have their own shit to answer for.
To think it looked so promising when it started with announcing X. Jedah, MH, and Sigma are fine but there's some questionable stuff here. Leaving out popular characters like Vergil and Wesker? Odd ball fan favorites like Joe, Phoenix, and Amy? But we still got Chris and Bionic C?

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It just needed good art direction, a better roster and actual fun music. Making a fanservice game that looks and sounds this bland is just killing your game on arrival.

Would probably turn out fine if they had a movie instead one of a trash TV series. The Inhumans are good characters.

i-hate-u

Oct 25, 2017
That's not to say that Capcom is completely free of blame, but yeah, MvCI was conceived at the worst possible time for both companies (the Fox ban being one of the biggest offenders on Marvel's end). It's a damn shame, as MvCI has one of the best gameplay mechanics of the entire series.

But let's be honest, a perfect Versus game with only Capcom characters would sell only a fraction of what a crossover would sell (Marvel or otherwise). Capcom just doesn't have many franchises outside of the Big 5 that would garner enough hype to move units outside of hardcore fans like us. Starting small & growing from there like what Killer Instinct did could work, though.

Fine, Shonen Jump vs Capcom

ZeroCDR

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'd also say that timing wasn't really poor, I think MvCI actually did pretty well at launch but the game had no legs for obvious reasons. Top 5 NPD I think?

UMvC3 still holds that crown. Being dumped against COD and Zelda after releasing only eight months or so after the previous game. It's quality was the only thing that saved it in the long run from being a bomb.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It was a weaker version of UMvC3.

... Which is crazier because UMvC3 was re-released on modern systems prior to MvC:I.

I'd still love an "Ultimate" version, though, but the reception was so tepid I doubt it'll happen. It was well-intentioned, plays well, but just doesn't come together in terms of presentation, roster, or content.

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I fucking love Marvel Infinite. It absolutely has a significant amount of flaws, but the actual moment to moment gameplay is not one of them. I like to rock Spidey/Captain Marvel. Such a fun team. Spidey is the best he's ever been in MVCI. It's so sad that this game got treated the way it did by devs and the FGC alike.

andresmoros

Oct 29, 2017
Houston
I think that this was my biggest disappointment this generation. I was so excited and happy about it, then I played that boring ass demo and it completely turned me off. You could tell it was being half assed in the assets department. I think I said "nope" when that dude, I forget his name, said that people didn't need magneto because they already had some character I don't remember right now. I know he was just saying what he needed to in order to defend the "decision" of not including X-men, but that still was just terrible PR response. I hope that Capcom gets to keep on making this game in the future and put all the love and care that their other games have gotten lately.

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
Love the game, best Marvel vs Capcom. The right balance between crazy (not 2) and nice looking (not 3)

BimmyLee

Oct 30, 2017
Bought it day one. Loved the system. Then DBFZ just took over the entire fighting game genre. I was caught up in it as well.

Looking back now, after all the dust has settled, I enjoyed MVCI so much more. Really hope the series comes back in proper form, but I wouldn't bet on it at the moment.