• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Why does Marvelous Europe keep saying to contact Nintendo when the claims are coming from Marvelous Inc.? Does Nintendo really have more of an influence over Marvelous Inc. than Marvelous Europe? And Marvelous Inc. can't be contacted directly (even though they're making claims directly)? That's kind of fascinating if that's true. But these Western outlets are probably going to contact NoA/NoE, who will contact NCL, who will contact Marvelous Inc., right? That's a long chain of communication.
Probably because Nintendo is the one handling distribution in the rest of the world and handles most of the advertising to begin with. Their clout against Japan is sheer size, you can't deny the distributor that will be responsible for 95% of the sales.

Last edited:

atomsk

Oct 28, 2017
well shit, was gonna do videos on this but I guess I can put that effort elsewhere

not that my 74K subs makes much of a difference

maybe it'll resolve itself by the time my copy shows up.

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Probably because Nintendo is the one handling distribution in the rest of the world and handles most of the advertising to begin with. Their clout against Japan is sheer size, you can't deny the distributor that will be responsible for 90% of the sales.

Yep, it's also 3am in Japan so getting an answer right now wouldn't happen either.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
How to kill your game that was already niche and not doing very well on preorders 101

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Would've loved to see DF compare the final game with the demo. I understand why they won't though.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Lmao

I hope EVERY SINGLE reviewer deletes / refuses to upload the video review. AndreGX straight up delete the video since it's not generating revenue for you anyway, tell other reviewers on Twitter to do the same, and let this game die without any coverage, and I'm sure they'll never do this again.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
I wonder if Giant Bomb will do a Quick Look? They often get around this stuff by the fact that they host their videos on their own site on top of uploading them to YouTube.

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
Lmao

I hope EVERY SINGLE reviewer deletes / refuses to upload the video review. AndreGX straight up delete the video since it's not generating revenue for you anyway, tell other reviewers on Twitter to do the same, and let this game die without any coverage, and I'm sure they'll never do this again.
I feel pretty confident that "we should really revise our youtube monetization policy" is not the message that Marvelous would take out of DXM being a complete commercial flop.

m0dus

Truant Pixel
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
As an indie dev absolutely struggling to have ANY mainstream outlet review our game(s), this shit is fucking maddening.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
I feel pretty confident that "we should really revise our youtube monetization policy" is not the message that Marvelous would take out of DXM being a complete commercial flop.
I mean they'll react to the game having 0 coverage on YouTube, not the game selling badly.

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
I mean they'll react to the game having 0 coverage on YouTube, not the game selling badly.
Given the situation I don't think that youtube coverage from outsidd outlets is apparently something they're paying any mind to, regardless.

They deserve a lot of shit for this, absolutely, but I wouldn't punish the game itself for bad marketing management.

Deleted member 5334

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Marvelous, Atlus, Koei-Tecmo...

Anyone else on the Japanese side that are doing this? Nintendo used to but they've calmed down quite a bit.

EDIT: Some of this I have to wonder if it's due to the fact Marvelous, in particular, has a heavy business in music and general Entertainment businesses, not just video games. So this might... take a bit of time to clear, if I can be honest. If at all...

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
It needs all the coverage it can get. DF can do an analysis and help them fix any performance issues too.

Honestly, this makes me want to buy the game less. I'm already seeing the reviews. It's one thing if they put a lockdown on reviews only till launch day, but this is dumb.

Tempy

Oct 25, 2017
Given the situation I don't think that youtube coverage from outsidd outlets is apparently something they're paying any mind to, regardless.

They deserve a lot of shit for this, absolutely, but I wouldn't punish the game itself for bad marketing management.

This isn't marketing's doing I believe, it's the legal department.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
How do people usually deal with this? I don't monetise but I uploaded a stream of Rogue Squadron I did that got hit by copyright for the soundtrack. Im like how the fuck do you argue something like that? Do people get hit by strikes all the time for some 1 min audio clip in a 40 hour playthrough?

carmofin

Nov 15, 2017
I had the same problem with the coverage I posted. Tried to claim fair use, which was denied. Cancelled any plans to cover the game any further.
Not that a game like DxM is going to reel in the money, I just think this is an unethical arangement.

Deleted member 1476

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good luck to them, won't touch that without a performance analysis considering how the previous demos ran.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
They've been using this horrible excuse since March

no problem it's just revenue
EEPoZooXYAA5B3G

carmofin

Nov 15, 2017
By the way, fun fact. Another new NDA by Nintendo that involves someone who can also be difficult about this stuff contains a fun new addition. If you thought you were going to be smart and just mute the music in your video, in this new NDA you are expressively prohibited from making any kind of customizations to the sound. This time I chose not to cover it at all.

Mark H

Oct 27, 2017
I seriously hope this new policy extends to all the other games Marvelous Inc is involved in and this shit doesn't happen again.
It's a real shame that it had to happen to DxM, a fantastic game in a very niche genre that needed every coverage it can get.

The Doctor

Jan 17, 2018
My first thought after reading the title was: "this is the kind of thing people will blame on Nintendo". Wasn't disappointed

Moltres006

Banned
Jan 5, 2019
I seriously hope this new policy extends to all the other games Marvelous Inc is involved in and this shit doesn't happen again.
It's a real shame that it had to happen to DxM, a fantastic game in a very niche genre that needed every coverage it can get.
Especially when NMH3 and RF5 are on the way. We definitely don't want RF5 to flop.