• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Me. I started season one early on but it just fell by the wayside. I didn't feel a strong pull to binge watch it, especially since it was so far along, but the spacing set up here makes it more manageable. It's nice. I'm currently on schedule, and I look forward to seeing all the plot threads they introduce.
Awesome.

Do my best to keep future spoilers to a minimum. You're in for a ride.

OP
OP
StarCreator

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
This week we are watching Season 1, Episodes 4-5.

Ffbxgsy.png

Agent Coulson and the S.H.I.E.L.D. team try to track down a mysterious woman who has single-handedly committed numerous high-stakes heists. But when the woman's identity is revealed, a troubling secret stands to ruin Coulson.

yo0HeuA.png

An elusive girl in a flower dress may hold the key to the mystery that brings Coulson and team to Asia to rescue a young man with an unusual and dangerous power; and Skye has a secret that jeopardizes her relationship with the team right when they need her most.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
"Eye-Spy" is an episode I usually forget about. Minus the fight between Akila and May ("You should've stayed in bed"), it's not really notable for anything. Save for a couple plot points. The symbols that Ward has to go get snapshots of and Akila's eye tech. The eye tech will be for this season specifically, but the symbols won't pay off for quite some time. It's not one of my favorites, but it's enjoyable enough and has some funny moments (the bit with the glasses at the very end). Beyond that it's just okay.

"Girl in The Flower Dress" is probably our biggest plot episode since "Pilot". Our old friend, the doctor who gave Mike Peterson his Centipede serum, returns for a bit part. We also get introduced to the Gifted Index, a list used to catalogue and categorize all encountered people with powers. One of the biggest, and something that's going to be a consistent element for the next 11 episodes or so is Skye's bracelet. We get some pretty major season plot points. Modified Centipede serum, Girl in the Flower Dress, and finding out about why Skye truly joined SHIELD. These are all fairly big, and I think it's interesting to see these develop over time. I think this is a fairly solid episode. It's very important, and manages to have some solid dramatic moments as well, such as Skye's confession of trying to find her parents. Scorch is fucking goofy though.

Fun fact: Scorch is the first of multiple powered people we see who has some sort of fire-based or incendiary ability, and the first one who has the ability to directly manipulate some sort of element.

Given what we know about gifted and powered people, is it possible Scorch could be an Inhuman? In the MCU everyone with powers seems to have them because of either scientific experimentations, accidents, or they simply aren't human. In Doctor Strange and S4 of AoS, we learn about magic, but even then you have to learn magic unless you're already a magical entity of some sort. Scorch here is the only person I can think of who just has powers. He even states that one day he just had them. Now, it's theorized that the power plant incident by his home is what caused his powers, but no one else who was there exhibited these abilities. It's possible he had unique DNA or physiology, like Steve Rogers, but I'm wondering if he's leaving something out. We won't get any more elaboration on it, but it's an interesting thought.

Tetsujin

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Eye-Spy showing off that budget. Those were the days...

Coulson having trouble with his 'muscle memory' and Amador asking May what they did to him...I remember a lot of people at the time thought he might be an LMD or something, heh.

I forgot about the Night-Night Guns! Man, they really look like cheap sci-fi toys, haha.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Eye-Spy showing off that budget. Those were the days...

Coulson having trouble with his 'muscle memory' and Amador asking May what they did to him...I remember a lot of people at the time thought he might be an LMD or something, heh.

I forgot about the Night-Night Guns! Man, they really look like cheap sci-fi toys, haha.

I'll spoil this to keep from ruining any new viewers and keep them from openly forming theories.

I totally bought it at the time. I still believed he wasn't, but it was completely valid. They do a good job keeping it vague, and the TAHITI conditiong shows.

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
"Girl in The Flower Dress" is probably our biggest plot episode since "Pilot". Our old friend, the doctor who gave Mike Peterson his Centipede serum, returns for a bit part. We also get introduced to the Gifted Index, a list used to catalogue and categorize all encountered people with powers. One of the biggest, and something that's going to be a consistent element for the next 11 episodes or so is Skye's bracelet. We get some pretty major season plot points. Modified Centipede serum, Girl in the Flower Dress, and finding out about why Skye truly joined SHIELD. These are all fairly big, and I think it's interesting to see these develop over time. I think this is a fairly solid episode. It's very important, and manages to have some solid dramatic moments as well, such as Skye's confession of trying to find her parents. Scorch is fucking goofy though.

I had mostly forgotten about this episode but, yea, it seems somewhat pivotal early-series episode. I'm surprised a lot of people don't mention it even when they suggest skipping the first-half of Season 1. This is the episode where you realize the show is headed toward some bigger arcs rather than just week-to-week mysteries.

CallMeShaft

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Why does Skye ask Ward about where to pee in the van (short bus) in episode 4? She should know what to do in that situation more than anyone on the team.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
I had mostly forgotten about this episode but, yea, it seems somewhat pivotal early-series episode. I'm surprised a lot of people don't mention it even when they suggest skipping the first-half of Season 1. This is the episode where you realize the show is headed toward some bigger arcs rather than just week-to-week mysteries.
Because people don't pay attention.
Why does Skye ask Ward about where to pee in the van (short bus) in episode 4? She should know what to do in that situation more than anyone on the team.
She lived in a van, but think of all the public and private establishment bathrooms she's used instead. She's probably never been on a genuine stakeout with the van parked in the middle of nowhere.

Also it's probably sacrificing character for the joke.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI

The hate towards season 1 has always been overblown. It has a couple poor episodes in the first half of season 1 and it's not a great show but you can see the potential and like most genre shows, it needs time to find itself.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
The hate towards season 1 has always been overblown. It has a couple poor episodes in the first half of season 1 and it's not a great show but you can see the potential and like most genre shows, it needs time to find itself.
It bothers me because I feel like it shows a flaw that's built up with television audiences these days, especially with binging being at its peak as a means of ingesting serialized media. That if a show takes it slow at any point, then it's bad.

For example, one of the most popular episodes to recommend skipping is S01E09 "Repairs", which while not much in the way of advancing plot, is great world (particularly for S3&4) and character (May) building.

It's a fairly solid episode, but because it doesn't focus entirely on the season-long arc, it's worthless. It's why so many recommend skipping so much of S1, because it's not plot heavy. Except now at S5, every single element of world-building and character-building, and plot thread is relevant throughout the series.

OP
OP
StarCreator

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
I still haven't had time to catch up with this week's viewing, but I remember really liking Eye-Spy on my first viewing. They actually did spy stuff with neat gadgets and there was tension behind getting the job done right. Plus, we got some fun comedic beats out of it too.

At the time, I thought it was everything I wanted out of the show. Little did I know.

CallMeShaft

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Just got done watching the "Scorch" episode and I'm starting to remember why I, among many others, don't like the first half of season 1. I just keep telling myself that once I hit "The Bridge", things will get better.

OP
OP
StarCreator

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
Just got done watching the "Scorch" episode and I'm starting to remember why I, among many others, don't like the first half of season 1. I just keep telling myself that once I hit "The Bridge", things will get better.
Still behind on my rewatch, but I don't remember having any specific problems with this set of episodes. What problems did you have with it?

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
I haven't caught up properly yet since I have exams and projects (which I really should be doing now) but I managed to catch "Eye Spy", and yeesh the eye explosions are ick. I liked the concept of the episode, but wouldn't the Englishman realise that it wasn't Amador when the hands that beat up that guard were white and male?

CallMeShaft

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Still behind on my rewatch, but I don't remember having any specific problems with this set of episodes. What problems did you have with it?
The eye episode and Scorch episode are both a chore to get through. Those episodes feel like they'll never end. Just a whole lotta "meh". But those two along with "The Well" and "Repairs" are the worst the season has to offer IMO, so I've at least managed to get through half of them already.

Egg0

Oct 25, 2017
FZZT is probably my favorite episode from the first half of S1. Mostly for the Fitzsimmons stuff.

CallMeShaft

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
"Repairs" and "The Well" are both good though.
I don't agree at all. I think they are very mediocre, but thankfully I love the large majority of this show. I only truly dislike 6 episodes in the series (my least favorite starting at #1).
  1. Repairs
  2. Eye Spy
  3. The Well
  4. Girl in The Flower Dress
  5. One of Us
  6. Yes Men
Obviously my opinion isn't fact (though it should be treated as such), but 5 of the 6 worst episodes of the series IMO happens in the first season, 4 of which happen in the first 10 episodes. Not easy to get through.

Tragicomedy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Season 3 is such a jump in quality over the previous 2. Some legit emotional moments. Not really a spoiler but just in case: Episode 13
ending was pure money.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Season 3 is such a jump in quality over the previous 2. Some legit emotional moments. Not really a spoiler but just in case: Episode 13
ending was pure money.
It is, but I feel there's a particular plot element in the back half that continues to bug me. That and t felt like the emphasis on couplings early on hurt it given that most of them didn't feel super organic to me.

OP
OP
StarCreator

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
This week we are watching Season 1, Episodes 6-7.

OOM2hSc.png

When floating bodies turn up, Coulson and the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D must hunt down an elusive killer. No one is safe–not even the team.

4nFIX4r.png

Dangerous secrets are being kept from Coulson's team, and he works the system to save Ward and Fitz when they are sent on a Level 8 classified mission that may end in tragedy.

abrack

Unshakable Resolve
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
Alright, about time! FZZT is one of my favorite Season 1 episodes, and The Hub is pretty good too.

Deleted member 37342

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 3, 2018
FZZT definitely had some emotional pull. Particularly Coulson's moment with the firefighter, and the whole scene on the plane. Definitely got to me a bit.

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
I really appreciate both 'FZZT' and 'the Hub' because of how they work to establish more emotional connection between various characters. For an early-in-the-series episode, 'FZZT' does a tremendous job of establishing the special relationship that Fitz and Simmons have. As for 'the Hub', it adds a different aspect to Fitz's character (being capable in the field) as well as some great interactions and moments with Ward. The sandwich throwing incident between Ward and Fitz is fantastic.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
"FZZT" is a great episode. One of S1's best. The emotional beats with Coulson, as well as FitzSimmons is great. Ward's anger at not being able to protect them from something like this is a very interesting dive into the usual stoic and invulnerable character we usually see. This episode was really great at emotionally developing the characters over such a harrowing scenario (something quarantine episodes typically excel at). Not only do we get the core pairing of FitzSimmons, but we also see bonding between Ward and Skye, as well as some talk between May and Coulson. We're also introduced to Agent Blake, and reintroduced to the Chitauri from The Avengers.

"The Hub" is a different kind of episode. I love the relationship between Fitz and Ward. Fitz wears his heart on his sleeve, but what I really love is that he's constantly proving Ward wrong in underestimating him. Their relationship is actually one of my favorites that develop over the course of S1. They've got each other's backs. We're also introduced to Agent Jasper Sitwell, whom some of you may recognize from Captain America: The Winter Soldier, as well as Victoria Hand (both of whom, along with Blake, play key roles in the rest of the show). Coulson's questioning of the system and his conflict with Hand is great, and the respect we see from Hand for Coulson's team at the end is heartwarming and true affirmation as to how good Coulson's team is. Also I cannot stress how hilarious Jemma and Skye's "infiltration" is, with Jemma's inability to lie becoming a key character trait to the point of being plot relevant.

Both of these episodes are great, and really show the amount of heart there is behind the characters and show as a whole.

As far as future plot elements go, we have the Night-Night Gun, which eventually becomes the Icer, as well as the Doomsday device and the files Skye managed to get.

Fun facts:

-Sitwell and Hand are both from the comics. Both are currently dead, though Sitwell is a zombie for the new Howling Commandos which is a supernatural squad.

-The Doomsday device is also from the comics, used to commandeer weapons. Created by a rogue SHIELD weapons designer who became jealous of Tony Stark when Stark became Director and took over weapons tech designing. The device took over the agent as it gained sentience and went nuts, assimilating all weapons.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, I completely missed this thread. I knew we had been planning a rewatch and I was just waiting for us to start all these days. Now I see we've already begun and I'm behind with six episodes. I'll catch up easily. This is an amazing OT btw, so great work on your part!

Let's do this guys!

So, how many new viewers do we actually have in here? MiraculousSwidge and Nia.

Last edited:

abrack

Unshakable Resolve
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
I just finished Season 1 so I guess I left the schedule in the dust... Lots of things I wanted to mention, guess I'll have to wait til we get there.

OP
OP
StarCreator

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
Not only am I behind on my rewatch, I'm also behind on thread graphics - I've exhausted the episode thumbnails I made on day one and haven't sat back down to make more, oops

I just finished Season 1 so I guess I left the schedule in the dust... Lots of things I wanted to mention, guess I'll have to wait til we get there.
You're free to post impressions of literally anything in a labelled spoiler tag!

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
I can't wait to get S2. Assuming we get more people in here, there is some very interesting discussion regarding

-Ward's arc. I recall there being a lot of debate about his redemption back in the day when it aired.
-The whole SHIELD vs SHIELD arc.
-The continued usage of TAHITI on others.

OP
OP
StarCreator

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
This week we are watching Season 1, Episodes 8-9.

JAIiatz.png

In the aftermath of the events chronicled in the feature film Marvel's Thor: The Dark World, Coulson and the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. pick up the pieces–one of which threatens to destroy a member of the team.

VYWQmKZ.png

Coulson and his team are haunted by a ghost that threatens to destroy them all, and only a secret from May's past can save them.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
"The Well" is a pretty enjoyable episode, although mainly an attempt at a tie-in with the latest film. The Berserker staff gives us insight into May and Ward, and we also get Professor Randolph, all of which will come back later on. It's got some fun action in it and decent character and world building.

"Repairs" is an episode that I personally think is much better than most give it credit for and actually enjoy quite a bit. Up until this point, May has been a cold, stoic CQC badass. She's had her moments, particularly with Coulson and Ward, but up until this point she's never had any real development. We get the story of how she got her nickname (or rather, an approximated account of it), as well as who she was before she went cold. She was compassionate and lighthearted, though still very much silent and stoic. We also get insight into portals, which is something referenced immediately in the previous episode (Thor: The Dark World) and something that comes into play much later on.

One thing I particularly enjoy is how we get to see more of Skye's role on the team. Originally, we're told that she's been brought on essentially as an unknown element. Essentially a recruit. In addition to her hacking skill, we get to see a different skill: Daisy's ability to communicate on a level no one else can. She's very emotional, and connects with people on that level. Especially outsiders, which she is and often feels like. Her relationship with May is something we see at play here, and is something we'll see develop in a very interesting way as time goes on.

The Roxxon corporation, normally a big player in the Thor mythos, also is referenced here with the gas station. They don't play a big role in the MCU as of yet, but who knows.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
RIP

I'll share something:
the place where Malick is having Hive stay in S3 is the same set as Kassius' quarters and dining hall in S5.

CallMeShaft

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like an asshole for not posting in this thread more often. A few episodes behind on account of how much I dislike the first half of season 1, but I'll try to catch up and bump this thread more often in the future.

OP
OP
StarCreator

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
This week we are watching Season 1, Episodes 10-11.

98EbnHn.png

In a shocking cliffhanger episode, Coulson takes the war back to Centipede, and this time he brings in Michael Peterson for some super-soldier support. As they get closer to the truth, startling secrets are revealed and an unexpected twist threatens the team.

1TGJDG5.png

Coulson uncovers vital information about the mystery of his death, but, with Centipede out for blood, this knowledge may come at the cost of one of the team.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
AAAAAW SHIT

This is the REAL turning point. People say it's not until the fall of SHIELD, but this is where the momentum shifts and it begins.

The fucking cliffhanger after E10 legit was killing me to wait.

amusix

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
100% agree with BK, this was the true turning point of Season 1. From here on out (except for a small lull with Yes Men and the Cellist episodes) the story just goes trucking. Mind you, I liked both Yes Men and the cellist, but they are pretty obvious narrative dips.

Also, Repairs remains a horrible episode. Of course, that's my opinion, and you're welcome to disagree. However, since my opinion is fact, disagreement is akin to being a flat-earther.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
100% agree with BK, this was the true turning point of Season 1. From here on out (except for a small lull with Yes Men and the Cellist episodes) the story just goes trucking. Mind you, I liked both Yes Men and the cellist, but they are pretty obvious narrative dips.

Also, Repairs remains a horrible episode. Of course, that's my opinion, and you're welcome to disagree. However, since my opinion is fact, disagreement is akin to being a flat-earther.
Concave Earth is better than Flat Earth anyways.

jsnepo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm at season 5 episode 1 now. This is show is getting hilarious. I mean that in a positive way. I'm having a laugh at some of the lines delivered and mostly by Coulson. The characters are also getting self aware of the shit they always go through.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
I'm at season 5 episode 1 now. This is show is getting hilarious. I mean that in a positive way. I'm having a laugh at some of the lines delivered and mostly by Coulson. The characters are also getting self aware of the shit they always go through.
Yeah the show really knows how to balance its tone and the dialogue is usually pretty top notch. Coulson and Fitz usually have the best lines when it comes to comedy.

Ramala

Oct 28, 2017
Santa Monica, LA
Finished S5. I guess it's all on Netflix. I really like this show. It's preposterous in all the right ways. So much fun. But I don't know what they're gonna for S6 without X or Y.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Finished S5. I guess it's all on Netflix. I really like this show. It's preposterous in all the right ways. So much fun. But I don't know what they're gonna for S6 without X or Y.
Well, some SHIELD stuff from the comics:
-The connection between Hydra and The Hand
-The Zodiac, a group of twelve powerful people working exclusively in the spy game. Nick Fury, Baron Strucker, John Garret, Dum Dum Dugan, The Kraken (Daniel Whitehall), Jake Fury, and a few others.
-Leviathan, a third secret spy group rivaling Hydra and SHIELD.
-Jake Fury, a.k.a. Scorpio. Nick Fury's evil brother.
-I also proposed the idea that the firsf half of S6, assuming it's full length, should also be Agent Carter S3. Given time travel is a part of the series. Of course that's more of a fanboy thing given that I enjoy both shows and AC did not receive a proper ending.

As for the main cast, I'm pretty sold on what we got.

Clark Gregg's contract is up. The S5 finale was it, so unless he re-ups, he's done. I love Coulson, but the series really stopped being about him once S3 got done. May has been keen on retiring for a long time, and as Daisy said, she'll never be at full strength again given her injury. Mack is leader, a strong callback to S3's brief mission that he lead. We still have Daisy, Jemma, and Yo-yo in their role, with Daisy most likely being Mack's second. They're going to get Fitz, Deke is possibly still around (that was pretty unclear), and we have Piper and the other dude (whose name I forget). Dethlok is still around as well. Probably no more Hydra, because no one is fucking left.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Something interesting about AoS is how every season has "alternative vision" as a major point every season.

S1 has the Clairvoyant.
S2 has
Raina, an actual clairvoyant.
S3 has
Charles, a harbinger of doom.
S4 has
the Darkhold, allowing others to see the impossible.
S5 has
Robin, capable of seeing all futures and living them all at once.