• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
e8a5w9s.gif

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
The man pulled the activator for the portal while he was on the other side. He absolutely, for sure, most definitely could have just tossed the bomb and pulled the activator before it hit the ground lmao.
Nope, the portal doesn't immediately collapse once the device is removed, if it did it would've cut his arm off once removed. The nuke would've gone off before it could fully collapse.

Now if they had taken a few minutes to work out a mechanism to jiggle the bomb on a timer or something then that could've worked, but alas they didn't.

OP
OP
StarCreator

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
I'm partially caught up but couldn't find the time to completely finish up over the weekend.

Inescapable is definitely the highlight of the season, and perhaps the last two seasons. The space plot this season has been a slog to get through for me, but this payoff almost makes the whole thing worth it.

Toldja was enjoyable too, though it bugs me that too often this season, the plot is forced to progress through characters who should have known better doing dumb things. Just like Keller didn't need to die because a literal speedster was in the room when it became clear the space bat wasn't dead, there was just no reason anyone should have thought it was a good idea to put the two drones in a room together with nothing separating them. These characters just aren't supposed to make these kind of mistakes and it feels like they are being written out of character for plot reasons because the big bad this season doesn't seem to have any real intelligence to it and our heroes have to be dumbed down in order for it to be even remotely threatening.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I'm partially caught up but couldn't find the time to completely finish up over the weekend.

Inescapable is definitely the highlight of the season, and perhaps the last two seasons. The space plot this season has been a slog to get through for me, but this payoff almost makes the whole thing worth it.

Toldja was enjoyable too, though it bugs me that too often this season, the plot is forced to progress through characters who should have known better doing dumb things. Just like Keller didn't need to die because a literal speedster was in the room when it became clear the space bat wasn't dead, there was just no reason anyone should have thought it was a good idea to put the two drones in a room together with nothing separating them. These characters just aren't supposed to make these kind of mistakes and it feels like they are being written out of character for plot reasons because the big bad this season doesn't seem to have any real intelligence to it and our heroes have to be dumbed down in order for it to be even remotely threatening.
They were on the small jet. Is there more than one containment chamber? If so, yeah that was stupid.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
A choice between Jaco and Mack because we all know there can only ever be one super tall and buff dude on a show, I'd take Jaco any day.

Lone_Prodigy

Oct 25, 2017
Let's see how quickly their Quinjet is replaced after their containment cube was good to go one episode after being wrecked.

OP
OP
StarCreator

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
They were on the small jet. Is there more than one containment chamber? If so, yeah that was stupid.
Weren't they on Zephyr One? They don't have a bigger jet than that.

I don't actually recall if Zephyr One can carry more than one containment module, but in any case, it seems more prudent to keep one under armed guard and one in the module.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Weren't they on Zephyr One? They don't have a bigger jet than that.

I don't actually recall if Zephyr One can carry more than one containment module, but in any case, it seems more prudent to keep one under armed guard and one in the module.
They were on the quinjet, the small one that docks at the top of the Zephyr One.

Egg0

Oct 25, 2017
Damn I thought it was weird that Davis looked like he fell into a forever sleep. Now he's probably possessed. Izel mentioned Sarge was wearing someone else's skin, maybe they're the same race?

RIP Davis. Remember when he was a red shirt in season 4?

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Traitor May again? Jesus christ. Every season except for S5 has had May play double agent at some point in some way. S1 had her secretly report to Fury; S2 had the agent that would wear May's "face" and also had her side with the other SHIELD; S3....actually didn't. Nevermind. S4 though, had her go crazy from the ghost AND THEN had LMD May AND THEN had Hydra May be the THIRD Hydra agent to turn traitor (The first two being Ward and Skye).

I want this to just be straight up May blowing Sarge away because she's tired of his shit and wants him gone.
If they kill my boy Davis I swear I'm coming for you Disney
Davis is literally no one's boy.
Lol, just realized Deke stole May's hug

I will never understand why anyone likes Deke. He sucks. He's shitty. He was fine in the future, but since then he's just been shitty. With quite frankly no real redeeming qualities. He's not amusing, he's weird and creepy and useless compared to the rest of the team.
That's twice SHIELD had detonated a Nuke in orbit.
5776.jpg

9 episodes in, including a dope speech, how do people feel about Mack as the new director?

I think it suits him very well so far. More importantly, the added responsibilities seems to have cooled off his moral compass tendencies. I mean they were overall necessary, especially last season, but I know that was the one aspect of Mack that could annoy people at times. Like he isn't suddenly acting out of character or anything, but at the same time it ain't in your face either this season.
I love it. He was a perfect choice. Go back to S3 when Coulson puts him in charge of the mission to siege Hydra's castle when they're going to Maveth to get Hive. Like, it's an arc in the making.
What if Sarge is Coulson from the fear dimension? He came through at the same time as Izel. What does SHIELD fear about Coulson? One who doesn't care about his team, one unwilling to save people. One who doesn't remember what he's fighting for. One with no memories if Tahiti went wrong.
His team mention they've known him for a long time, I think it's a good theory but Jaco, etc all poke holes in it.
I mentioned this earlier in the thread:
Well, let's look at this:

-The time monolith traveled the team specifically 100 years into the future. Coulson says he's 100 years older than them. Granted, it's obviously just a number he picked, but it's a number of note.
-Benson says that hypothetically, the third stone controls life and death. Izel says that that the stones let her, and correct me if I'm wrong on the word she uses, "travel between space and time and -- " before she was cut off by Fitz and Simmons. So she lists the abilities of two separate stones, and then was about to list the third stone before interruption. She specifically says she can use it to "travel between" something. Again, correct me on that, but that's what I recall. Could be dimensions, could be life and death.
-It's not really specified what Izel is yet. She's an alien of some kind, but she's a creator of some kind of race. The Kree created Inhumans, but as modified humans and using experiments. Izel seems to create Shrike from...what, exactly? We don't see them reproduce, just make crystals. Sarge doesn't say anything about them like that other than a Creator. All we see her do is open her hands and POOF, she has one. So where do they come from?
-They state that she emerged from a dimension of fear and space, I believel. When the monoliths blew up, they created a rift that opened up to a fear dimension. Did they release Izel again? And perhaps a Coulson copy?
So it's true, but if something fucked with this Sarge's memories, isn't it possible that something fucked with Jaco and and the rest's memories as well?
Same. Otherwise how do they still have a working bomb afterwards?
Jaco talks to Sarge earlier asking if he set it up properly, meaning he knows how it works. I assumed he put it back together, because we know Deke tinkered with it a bit before giving up.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
He was fine in the future

I can't agree at all, I didn't care for him at all back then. Dude just felt like a discount Starlord. While he is without a doubt intensely quirky, I like him a lot more now, especially after the reveal of him being related to FitzSimmons. He can be annoying, and we really gotta talk about this Daisy obsession, but he family lmao

I love it. He was a perfect choice. Go back to S3 when Coulson puts him in charge of the mission to siege Hydra's castle when they're going to Maveth to get Hive. Like, it's an arc in the making.

I look forward to seeing it once I eventually do my rewatch

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
I can't agree at all, I didn't care for him at all back then. Dude just felt like a discount Starlord. While he is without a doubt intensely quirky, I like him a lot more now, especially after the reveal of him being related to FitzSimmons. He can be annoying, and we really gotta talk about this Daisy obsession, but he family lmao
He's just...I don't like him. There's a tragedy to him I can't connect to. A humor and quirkiness I'm not really amused by. A skillset outshone and outclassed by others.

There are a lot of aspects to his character I find myself wanting to like. I WANT to like how he feels like an outcast, out of his own time just wanting to fit in, but he's just a shitty spotlight hog, which is a part of his attempt to fit in. He wants to win the popularity contest, but I hate it. I like how he's trying to impress Fitz, especially since he has a blank slate instead of the one that had contempt for him with all of this cool shit that he knows and has and is being really childish, but...there are other more emotional "reunions" I kinda wanna see. His expertise lies primarily with aliens and foreign tech to Earth, but he's constantly dealing with Earth tech that's only foreign to himself and now he's familiar enough with it and again outclassed by at least three other characters in that field. He's not a combatant or a strategist. May put it best that he spent his entire life rewiring alien garbage, but we've barely seen him do anything too impressive with that barring "I knew zero."

Granted, I'm not boiling down the character to feats. I'm not so reductive. He has his moments and certainly and arc and place in the story. He just irks me and just hasn't redeemed himself in my eyes. He's the Andrew Wells of Agents of SHIELD. Or the Harmony Kendall (depending on your preference of BtVS or Angel). Granted he's a superior character to both, but he's still within that category.

In fact, as far as comparing him to central cast characters over the course of the series and favorites to least favorites, I'd say he's down at the bottom with Lincoln.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm liking Mack a lot more this season, his cocky hero thing kind of reminds me of Dwayne Johnson sometimes. Which obviously makes Sarge the guy he'll randomly forgive for all his atrocities and team up with in a spinoff movie next year.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
I don't see Mack as cocky at all this season. In fact he's more humble than he's ever been given that he's constantly trying to measure up to Coulson.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This isn't about this season, but I'm maybe 3 or 4 episodes deep on S1, and I'm not sure if I'm feeling it much. It's kind of campy & silly. Should I keep watching it? Are there bigger moments, or is it just minor stories with the bigger connecting tissue just being the relationship of the team? I'm not big on single story episodes most of the time, and really like continuing plot lines. Does that develop in this series, or is every episode a self contained story?

They change single story episode to arc-based story over episodes somewhere in the middle of season 1.

Oct 25, 2017
So is Sarge just like some weird Coulson warrior robot thing? From the setup they're giving I'd assume either Sarge's going to come back or some other Coulson faced being is going to pop up again especially considering Izel indicated that they have some greater history beyond what he described and he is important to her in some way.

Now I'm imagining some extra dimensional Coulson printing press.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
S1 still had arcs even in the beginning, it was just so spread out. Clairvoyant and the Girl in the Flower Dress. TAHITI and Coulson's memories. Skye's parents. Alien writing and symbols.

The genius of it all is that it comes full circle in S3.

Mind blowing really.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
So is Sarge just like some weird Coulson warrior robot thing? From the setup they're giving I'd assume either Sarge's going to come back or some other Coulson faced being is going to pop up again especially considering Izel indicated that they have some greater history beyond what he described and he is important to her in some way.
We literally know nothing except what has been said. The popular theories here and what I've seen floating around are:

-Fear dimension clone as a result of the monolith explosion creating the Fear Dimension portal
-Multiverse alternate Coulson as a result of the Snap
-Product of the deal Coulson made with Ghost Rider

Oct 25, 2017
Deke doesn't have a "thing" or even some super interesting dynamic with any of the other characters so he just feels like an extra at all times.

CallMeShaft

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This isn't about this season, but I'm maybe 3 or 4 episodes deep on S1, and I'm not sure if I'm feeling it much. It's kind of campy & silly. Should I keep watching it? Are there bigger moments, or is it just minor stories with the bigger connecting tissue just being the relationship of the team? I'm not big on single story episodes most of the time, and really like continuing plot lines. Does that develop in this series, or is every episode a self contained story?
As others have said, season 1 is pretty rough, especially at the beginning. There are some actually really decent episodes before it, but if you can keep with it to Episode 17 (otherwise known as Turn Turn Turn), then you'll start being rewarded for sticking with it and outside of a bad episode or two, everything after episode 17 is noticeably better than pretty much everything that came before it.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Deke doesn't have a "thing" or even some super interesting dynamic with any of the other characters so he just feels like an extra at all times.
Also this

-May hates him because he's annoying
-Daisy seems to empathize with him feeling out of place and alone given her own outcast nature throughout the series for various reasons, but then he has this crush on her made uncomfortable because she doesn't pick up on it and doesn't reciprocate.
-Fitz hated him because he was annoying, and now Fitz is confused.
-Jemma finds him kind of charming.
-Everyone else sort of just tolerates him.

Like, there's no real dynamic or chemistry there. At least Lincoln had a romance with Daisy and this weird tension with Mack because they represented opposite sides of Daisy's nature (Inhuman and SHIELD). He had that episode where Coulson took him out for his final field test that was solid. Never got along with May because of his wildcard nature (also he scrapped with her and she held a grudge), and everyone else was "eh" towards him.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Awesome. I'll try to convince the fiancée to stick with it haha. Thanks for the feedback!
As others have said, season 1 is pretty rough, especially at the beginning. There are some actually really decent episodes before it, but if you can keep with it to Episode 17 (otherwise known as Turn Turn Turn), then you'll start being rewarded for sticking with it and outside of a bad episode or two, everything after episode 17 is noticeably better than pretty much everything that came before it.
What they said.
Also, regarding that last part of your question, the show is actually mostly continuous storylines and eps picking up where they last left off, especially once it reaches that turning point later in S1 when it really digs in on being more and more so from there.

Edit: Just saw that Arthands and BKatastrophe mentioned this a little while ago already.

ROFL

Last edited:

Danthrax

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Northeast Ohio

You've literally made it through the worst stretch of the entire show. It's all uphill from there.

(well, episodes five through seven aren't great, either, but they're marginally better)

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I don't remember the first eps, but most seasons have a major big bad. You get the Marvel universe stuff without everyone having crazy super-powers. There are other planets, time travel, all sorts of sci-fi and tech, virtual reality simulation, and so on. Great show.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like after the future stuff they had no idea what to do with Deke. Like in the future he's sort of the amoral guy who knows what's going on. He's clever and has some street smarts (or, uhh, corridor smarts I guess). He's a good foil to Daisy, since she's very gung-ho and he's cautious, almost to the to the point of cowardly.

But in a world where the SHIELD team is on top of things he's got none of that. It leaves him with "man out of time" stuff and "grandson from thr future" stuff. And I don't think the writers really figured out what to do with those things outside of the humor of introducing those concepts.

If they wrote him out for this season, "he's off doing something solo," I don't think it would have had a noticeable impact on the series. Which is too bad, because I don't mind him as a character or actor.

OP
OP
StarCreator

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
Caught up.

I feel like they could have cut some of the early parts of the space adventure and introduced Izel earlier. As it is, she just sort of materializes out of nowhere, ends up being Fitz and Simmons's get out of jail free card, and taxis them back to Earth unharmed with the jump drive she happened to have in her pocket for no apparent reason. That's all just a little too contrived.

Poor Jaco's actor. Just wanted more adventures :(

Danthrax

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Northeast Ohio
Caught up.

I feel like they could have cut some of the early parts of the space adventure and introduced Izel earlier. As it is, she just sort of materializes out of nowhere, ends up being Fitz and Simmons's get out of jail free card, and taxis them back to Earth unharmed with the jump drive she happened to have in her pocket for no apparent reason. That's all just a little too contrived.

Poor Jaco's actor. Just wanted more adventures :(

The writing's been real rough this season

Oct 25, 2017
We literally know nothing except what has been said. The popular theories here and what I've seen floating around are:

-Fear dimension clone
-Multiverse alternate Coulson
-Product of the deal with Ghost Rider
I sorta want them to just go super weird with it and have it be some meta nonsense about a Beyonder watching their adventures and being too invested in Coulson to let him die.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
I sorta want them to just go super weird with it and have it be some meta nonsense about a Beyonder watching their adventures and being too invested in Coulson to let him die.
I mean Supernatural's done dumb shit like that before. And that's finally dying on like, 15? So I mean, it's not out of the realm. Plus it wouldn't be that weird. The Beyonder did shit like that in the comics too I'm pretty sure. Acted all childish and shit. Followed Spider-Man around for awhile to learn to be people. Honestly I'd be okay with it, and it'd be super fucked up. The problem is that, and this is an issue I have with sci-fi and fantasy, you have to end it. Like, once you hit "the origin of all space and time" or some high end super being that's way too far, you gotta end it, and a Beyonder is that point. Like, not for the MU as a whole, but for AoS it is.