• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tacocat

Alt account
Banned
Jan 17, 2020
Eh, this game looks dumb. I watched most of the marvel movies but have zero interest in playing this.

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
Game looks unnecessary. I didn't see a single interesting thing since the first trailer.

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
Looks dope. Character designs are sub-par but the animation and game loop looks very Destiny-like, which has me excited to jump in. Day 1.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
Because you tried to point to other movie to game transitions not doing well then when I asked for recent examples you switched your reasoning to other movies instead because you have no examples in games to point to.
I already pointed out that we've only had 3 major IPs (Star Wars, Spider-Man, Batman) and they've all done well because they would good games first. There literally haven't been any other IPs...I don't know but their might be a reason for that.

Also, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 came out last year...let's not act like it was in the top 10 NPD last year. The quality of the game and the marketing matters.

Orangecoke

Jan 14, 2019
I'm not surprised at all at the reactions to how they look. MCU/Avengers is a massive, massive popular entertainment brand now. These characters have been associated with specific actors for years, and across some of the biggest movies to hit theaters...ever. So, for those who don't read comics anymore (or ever), it's like putting Luke Skywalker in Battlefront but making his face look like some random dude. It's just visually very jarring.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
I feel like this game is like 2 years too late. Right before Infinity War/Endgame might have been great though.

Oct 24, 2019
Would Spider-Man be in it? He's not typically associated with the Avengers, but he's fucking Spider-Man!

It's possible, that's one of the big questions surrounding it. If they do use Spidey, will it be Insomniac's version (thereby confirming a shared universe) or their own take on him?

If it is Insomniac's version, then I guarantee that reveal would be saved for something like the PS Meeting and dropped as a console-exclusive bombshell, which would make the PS version of the game the definitive one to have

Deleted member 59955

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 14, 2019
That cover art is so cluttered and generic looking. But the colors look nice.

Those skins look so low quality. The collectors edition doesn't look like it's worth $200. The second edition of suits are great though. Black and gold ones.

Arkham Knight had a much better cover art and collectors edition than this and that came out 5 years ago.

Step it up Square Enix. Batman and Cyberpunk are gonna be releasing near this and it's gonna look bad.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not surprised at all at the reactions to how they look. MCU/Avengers is a massive, massive popular entertainment brand now. These characters have been associated with specific actors for years, and across some of the biggest movies to hit theaters...ever. So, for those who don't read comics anymore (or ever), it's like putting Luke Skywalker in Battlefront but making his face look like some random dude. It's just visually very jarring.
This plus the realistic art style and character design they used as as opposed to using a more stylized one.

mojo

Oct 25, 2017
Good luck with this. Actually, no. First quantify what "sells well" means. I don't want this shit selling 4m copies and you bumping this thread to go "See, it didn't do THAT great".

Eh. 12 hours would be extremely disappointing for me if the side content isn't good.
4 mil is a flop for an avengers game sorry

Saifu

Oct 27, 2017
Still don't know and haven't seen enough to warrant a pre-order...
They keep showing the same shit and action set pieces from previous trailers and clips.
this isn't good enough man...It's like they are trying to hide how bad this game actually is.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Yes it did, as a Switch exclusive...people in here are acting like anything with a Marvel IP attached to it will light up the charts.

You are comparing a multi-platform AAA game to a Switch exclusive though. The reason people think it will light up the charts is because the audience is there.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
You are comparing a multi-platform AAA game to a Switch exclusive though. The reason people think it will light up the charts is because the audience is there.
Well, people think that Anthem didn't flop despite being a multiplatform GaaS game that only sold a bit above 6 million and has been a ghost town in-game...I'm sure that's what Square Enix wants here...so there is nothing to add here really...

These are the most expensive games to make (GaaS) in gaming, but let's compare them to the sales expectations of single player games.

DMczaf

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas, NV
ss_53ec7321d0edea093f81afc50d4909df4134c050.1920x1080.jpg

Dollar Tree Revengers

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Well, people think that Anthem didn't flop despite being a multiplatform GaaS game that only sold a bit above 6 million and has been a ghost town in-game...I'm sure that's what Square Enix wants here...so there is nothing to add here really...

Are we talking about Anthem? I never brought it up. This is about big mainstream IPs translating to games and the fact that this generation they've mostly all sold at or above expectations.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
This still looks like a low rent MCU knock off, the character designs are so bad. Either pay for the MCU likeness or go with comic character designs. No way am I going to try this game unless it somehow gets spectacular reviews, which I doubt will happen from the horrible character designs to the mediocre looking combat.

I also think the game will be a major flop in terms of expectations for SE. As an AAA Marvel superhero game, SE hopes it will do 10 million plus in sales similar to Spiderman while I could easily see it only doing 3-4 million instead. I doubt it could go MvC:I low or only 1 million similar to MUA3.

Last edited:

Smokey_Run

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
People still don't understand the economic reason to make the base outfits terrible. They want to sell you the MCU version of each character for $20.

They better hope the game is good or that won't matter.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
Are we talking about Anthem? I never brought it up. This is about big mainstream IPs translating to games and the fact that this generation they've mostly all sold at or above expectations.
Someone else brought it up...every comment in this thread that I've made isn't directed at you...I literally said "people think"...

Dollar Tree Revengers
LOL true but don't sully the Revengers name, their is nothing that we've seen about this game that is as epic as anything here:

giphy.gif

(Sorry Loki, could find a gif with you in it as well 😂)

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
I think the real problem is that the game just seems to have such an unremarkable artistic vision. It's just off-brand MCU. They should've either gone full MCU aesthetic, or embraced the comics

I'll be waiting for reviews on this one.

KrAzEd

Oct 27, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
0 hype for this game. They are up against a lot of great games coming out shortly after as well, not to mention people will be saving up for new consoles. Hopefully the beta generates some excitement, because as of now it just looks so meh.

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California

I highly disagree with this. Comic book heroes are KNOWN to have various looks, versions, variations etc. As strange as the characters in the game look, it's very much in the vein of comic tradition to have a completely different visual style.

Luke Skywalker is associated with Mark Hamill because he originated on screen, that was his first ever appearance and is KNOWN from the movies.

Captain America, Iron Man, Thor, etc. have been around for DECADES before these movies came out and have had hundreds of redesigns, costumes, art-styles, throughout the years, and just because they're associated with certain actors means nothing when the actors' likeness has nothing to do with the video game translation of the characters.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
I get the need to avoid paying out royalties for using the likeness of real life actors, but this is just... urgh!

They could have at least designed them to look more human. It's so bad it's jarring.

I'm sure I'll play and enjoy the game, but the character faces look too plastic. The uncanny valley is ruining the appeal for this game for sure.

I highly disagree with this. Comic book heroes are KNOWN to have various looks, versions, variations etc. As strange as the characters in the game look, it's very much in the vein of comic tradition to have a completely different visual style.

Luke Skywalker is associated with Mark Hamill because he originated on screen, that was his first ever appearance and is KNOWN from the movies.

Captain America, Iron Man, Thor, etc. have been around for DECADES before these movies came out and have had hundreds of redesigns, costumes, art-styles, throughout the years, and just because they're associated with certain actors means nothing when the actors' likeness has nothing to do with the video game translation of the characters.

The issue for me isn't so much that they don't look like the movie actors/actresses. It's that they don't look like humans at all (or at least enough).

Contrast with Insomniac's Spiderman and you'll see what I mean:

latest

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Wait... so this game will be online focused? Or will it have online modes? I was under the impression it was SP story focused game (a la Spidey on PS4)...

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
i am surprised why this game doesn't have PS5 label at the end of the trailer? Or maybe the PS5 version won't be a stand-alone version and will be PS4 version updated?

Orangecoke

Jan 14, 2019

Yes, I know - but you are looking at it from the perspective of a comic book reader/fan. There are now millions of people for whom Marvel and Avengers are movie properties first and foremost in their minds - especially when it comes to video entertainment like a video game. So: when you have somewhat photo-real Avengers characters in a video game, that look nothing like the characters people have been seeing in movies for years, some of their favorite movies, it just looks wrong.

It's much easier to swallow things like stylized cartoony graphics, isometric etc because those don't try to replicate the photoreal look of the characters.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
It looks pretty good. The era hate boner for this game since it was announced is still hilarious.

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
Yes, I know - but you are looking at it from the perspective of a comic book reader/fan. There are now millions of people for whom Marvel and Avengers are movie properties first and foremost in their minds - especially when it comes to video entertainment like a video game. So: when you have somewhat photo-real Avengers characters in a video game, that look nothing like the characters people have been seeing in movies for years, some of their favorite movies, it just looks wrong.

It's much easier to swallow things like stylized cartoony graphics, isometric etc because those don't try to replicate the photoreal look of the characters.

This is speculation. Marvel known worldwide as a comic book company first and foremost. Any characters appearing in any movie that opens with a "Marvel" logo is immediately recognized as a comic book property. Hell, even look at their OG MCU logo, it had comics flipping through the company name.

I get the need to avoid paying out royalties for using the likeness of real life actors, but this is just... urgh!

They could have at least designed them to look more human. It's so bad it's jarring.

I'm sure I'll play and enjoy the game, but the character faces look too plastic. The uncanny valley is ruining the appeal for this game for sure.

The issue for me isn't so much that they don't look like the movie actors/actresses. It's that they don't look like humans at all (or at least enough).

Contrast with Insomniac's Spiderman and you'll see what I mean:

latest

marvels-avengers-faces-ps4.original.jpg

They definitely could be better, but it def isn't horrendous (aside from Cap's outfit)

Status
Not open for further replies.