• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 31, 2017
Man, talk about a game I want to be excited about but can't muster the enthusiasm. It's just bland, bland, bland. It looks almost factory made. No flare, colors don't pop, characters don't look interesting. Maybe they'll turn it around but it's hard to picture the MCU's Thor: Ragnarok, GotG 1&2, Infinity War, and Endgame and believe that somehow, even tangentially, this game is related to those properties.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Everything about this still looks really unpolished, even though they worked on this game for such a long time.
I'd honestly be shocked if this reviews well

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Giving the Avengers to a developer that managed to kill Tomb Raider twice.

Saya

Oct 25, 2017
marvels-avengers-faces-ps4.original.jpg

They definitely could be better, but it def isn't horrendous (aside from Cap's outfit)

Love those long belly pouches on Cap. Liefeld would be proud.

twdnewh

Oct 31, 2018
Sydney, Australia
For a moment I thought that was Captain Marvel, didnt' even know there was another completely different character called Ms Marvel. Strange choice, wonder why they went with her.

skipgo

Dec 28, 2018
Trailer looks fine, really hope this game turns out good and that Captain Marvel ends up getting added to it.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
It's going to sell extremely well and people are going to complain about it a ton.

TR2013 also sold very well - yet SE somehow expected even more.
This is a big IP and they have been developing it for a long-ass time - it doesnt only have to have a strong launch to be asuccess but keep the player base invested for the whole generation.

Not saying its gonna bom or anything, but you never know how ridiculous expectations can be - after F67 and Anthem, and with a bunch of GaaS crashing the next-gen party things will be brutal. Everyone once to lock the customer to their game world for years, but there is only so much time players are able to invest.

Oct 25, 2017
Don't care about this game at all, but those Hollywood actor are the Avengers in my mind. These just look like cheap knock-offs. The should have paid for their likeness.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
Yeah i'm gonna wait a shitload of feedback for this one, it never looked hot, like not even close...

twdnewh

Oct 31, 2018
Sydney, Australia

astro

Oct 25, 2017
This is speculation. Marvel known worldwide as a comic book company first and foremost. Any characters appearing in any movie that opens with a "Marvel" logo is immediately recognized as a comic book property. Hell, even look at their OG MCU logo, it had comics flipping through the company name.

marvels-avengers-faces-ps4.original.jpg

They definitely could be better, but it def isn't horrendous (aside from Cap's outfit)
I'm a comic book fan, for many years, and I associate the characters here with the films first and foremost now. Pretty sure this is true for many people here, too.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Thanks. I had never even heard about her till today.

Still makes more sense having Captain Marvel there, as it seems from your link that Ms Marvel is more of a stand alone series? Or has she crossed paths with the Avengers universe before?
For a moment I thought that was Captain Marvel, didnt' even know there was another completely different character called Ms Marvel. Strange choice, wonder why they went with her.

she is an Avenger and the best selling new character in years

clean.jpg

astro

Oct 25, 2017
If they had gone with comic Avengers it would.have been more interesting and had better representation.

But it needed to be the film's team.

But it isn't the film's team...

I don't get it.

Lee Morris

Oct 28, 2017
So happy Kamela Khan is on the cover. Still not loving the hair, lighting and saturated colour pallette.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
Whether this does well or not, I don't see CD or E Montreal touching Tomb Raider or Deus Ex for a long ass time, if at all. :( The character faces looking weird makes sense now that it's obvious they are using the Tomb Raider engine.

Oct 24, 2019
Whether this does well or not, I don't see CD or E Montreal touching Tomb Raider or Deus Ex for a long ass time, if at all. :( The character faces looking weird makes sense now that it's obvious they are using the Tomb Raider engine.

Well EM will be working on that Guardians of the Galaxy game after this, so definitely won't see Deus Ex for a bit. I could see Tomb Raider reappearing relatively soon though!

Oct 24, 2019
Don't care about this game at all, but those Hollywood actor are the Avengers in my mind. These just look like cheap knock-offs. The should have paid for their likeness.

No. Please god no.

One of the best things about comic properties is that you continually get different takes that add new layers to characters and their mythos (whether that be characterization, team affiliation, villains, costumes, etc.). I love that comic book Batman is different from Arkham games Batman, which is different from the movie Batmen, and so on.

The worst thing a comic adaptation can do is just try to copy something else. Even when the MCU adapts specific storylines from the comics, you'll notice that they change a significant amount from the source material so that it becomes its own thing.

Princess Bubblegum

On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Well EM will be working on that Guardians of the Galaxy game after this, so definitely won't see Deus Ex for a bit. I could see Tomb Raider reappearing relatively soon though!
I suppose a new Tomb Raider could be in pre production, going by job postings Crystal Dynamics seems to be expanding aside from the satellite studio.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
No. Please god no.

One of the best things about comic properties is that you continually get different takes that add new layers to characters and their mythos (whether that be characterization, team affiliation, villains, costumes, etc.). I love that comic book Batman is different from Arkham games Batman, which is different from the movie Batmen, and so on.

The worst thing a comic adaptation can do is just try to copy something else. Even when the MCU adapts specific storylines from the comics, you'll notice that they change a significant amount from the source material so that it becomes its own thing.

Honestly, that's kind of the problem - these designs are trying to skew too close to the MCU while also looking "new" but the "new" looks just look bad, so it looks like a budget ripoff of the MCU rather than something with a unique visual identity.

Oct 24, 2019
Honestly, that's kind of the problem - these designs are trying to skew too close to the MCU while also looking "new" but the "new" looks just look bad, so it looks like a budget ripoff of the MCU rather than something with a unique visual identity.

I agree. They didn't go far enough in carving out a unique look.

What I don't understand is people whining that they don't look exactly like RDJ, Chris Evans, etc.

Nobody cared that Spider-Man didn't look like Tom Holland or that Batman didn't look like Christian Bale

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

What I don't understand is people whining that they don't look exactly like RDJ, Chris Evans, etc.

Nobody cared that Spider-Man didn't look like Tom Holland or that Batman didn't look like Christian Bale

It also doesn't help that the roster is just "Avengers 1 Avengers plus Kamala". If there were a couple more out-there inclusions it would've helped dispel the complaints a lot.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
If they had gone with comic Avengers it would.have been more interesting and had better representation.

But it needed to be the film's team.

But it isn't the film's team...

I don't get it.
Yeah this is baffling. A really good looking comic/cellshading look would have done wonders. It should have looked like a comic come to life and not like that.

Spider-Man and Batman already had a lot of actors before Christian Bale and Tom Holland. Also they wear masks. The faces are the problem, not the costumes.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I've watched this trailer three times, and can't get over how they let the line pass as "Good isn't a thing you are, it's a thing you do" instead of "Good isn't something you are, it's something you do". I know it's small, but when said aloud it sounds much less dopey.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
I have given up on the faces (although they did improve them a bit)

But I'm still salty they haven't improved the Ironman face mask. It shouldn't be that narrow, it doesn't match the rest of the helmet/suit proportions.

Oct 24, 2019
It also doesn't help that the roster is just "Avengers 1 Avengers plus Kamala". If there were a couple more out-there inclusions it would've helped dispel the complaints a lot.

Yeah exactly, I was actually just editing my post to include that point. Even if they wanted to stick to the MCU roster, if they had at least swapped out some of the OG 6 with some of the later MCU additions, it would have gone a long way. Replace Black Widow with Black Panther or Thor for Doctor Strange or Hulk for Vision for example. Even if Thor, Hulk, Black Widow are still playable in the game, those could have made great reveals and exciting additions to the team, while still differentiating the core team from the movie version

bossmonkey

Avenger
Nov 9, 2017
These character designs look a lot like the people in spiderman honestly. Kind of plain blunted faces. As long as they're consistent i'm fine with it, but it also makes me think that this might link into the ps4 spiderman's universe. Ultimately if the beta is only tied into preorders they're going to run into some trouble. They'll get sales from people who just see Avengers and purchase but the hardcore crowd that will be needed to keep the GAAS aspect afloat will be skeptical. Best way to get around that is to have a strong open beta to drive a lot of day 1 sales.

Oct 24, 2019
Yeah this is baffling. A really good looking comic/cellshading look would have done wonders. It should have looked like a comic come to life and not like that.
Spider-Man and Batman already had a lot of actors before Christian Bale and Tom Holland. Also they wear masks. The faces are the problem, not the costumes.

I get what you're driving at, but that's still a stupid level of cognitive dissonance to me. Like people can't just accept that not every version of Cap has to look like Evans? Yet don't think twice when they play a Spider-Man that doesn't look like a single one of the movie incarnations they're familiar with (and you see his face a LOT throughout the game)

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
I get what you're driving at, but that's still a stupid level of cognitive dissonance to me. Like people can't just accept that not every version of Cap has to look like Evans? Yet don't think twice when they play a Spider-Man that doesn't look like a single one of the movie incarnations they're familiar with (and you see his face a LOT throughout the game)
I think the problem is that the core Avengers are too omnipresent at the moment and it doesn't help to ape their look without copying it. Spider-Man gets bigger with more movies, but he isn't as centric to the franchise as the main characters.

But yeah I can't really explain why I feel like this. I never even thought about "oh, he doesn't look like Tom/Christian" when playing the Arkham or Spider-Man games. But it was an instant turn-off when the Avengers game was revealed. Maybe it also doesn't help that the actual game doesn't look good/special.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I think the problem is that the core Avengers are too omnipresent at the moment and it doesn't help to ape their look without copying it. Spider-Man gets bigger with more movies, but he isn't as centric to the franchise as the main characters.

But yeah I can't really explain why I feel like this. I never even thought about "oh, he doesn't look like Tom/Christian" when playing the Arkham or Spider-Man games. But it was an instant turn-off when the Avengers game was revealed.

It's really just because they're aping HARD on Avengers film iconography and it doesn't even feel like they're trying to differentiate themselves from the MCU. The whole game feels like a "we wanted to make a film adaptation but couldn't get the likeness rights" shovelware game from the early-to-mid 2000s rather than a confident, unique AAA title the way the Arkham games and Spidey are.

It's trying to have it both ways and failing, essentially.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
What kind of game is this? Do I get to free roam around a city or something? Am I just going to be visiting the same areas over and over again?

Princess Bubblegum

On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Seeing as how Marvel announced the deal with Square Enix in January 2017 and that this project was fast tracked as fuck, it explains why this looks the way it does. CD and EM are having to work with the tools they already had and probably didn't have as much pre-production time as they needed.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
What kind of game is this? Do I get to free roam around a city or something? Am I just going to be visiting the same areas over and over again?

Linear stages, yes. There's a story driven single-player where you use a character according to the story and then stages that are meant to be playable solo or co-op where you can choose your character.

TheChrisGlass

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
No one says this for Spider-man games, or Batman games, or any other super hero or movie-related (not based) title.

But this is VERY clearly trying to be like the movies, except nonsensically trying to pretend it's not. I'm not sure why they are so insistent on Captain America having a beer gut with super tall pouches on it.

No one says it for MvCI characters, as ugly as it was.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
Keep telling yourself that.

I mean MvC:I kind of flopped, a lot of people thought it would crush Injustice 2 based purely on the strength of the MCU's popularity, but that didn't really pan out. Don't get me wrong, I can absolutely see this game doing very well, and it probably will. I just also am reminded of how so many people were convinced Anthem was going to be a massive hit, and that game kind of came and went pretty quickly.

My personal prediction is that this game does very well at launch, but I doubt it will be the big Games as Service hit that keeps huge engagement numbers past the first couple of months.

Status
Not open for further replies.