• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
PS4 uses a dynamic resolution with the highest resolution found being 1920x1080 and the lowest resolution found being 1280x720. Pixel counts at or near 1920x1080 seem to be common on PS4. PS4 Pro in the 4K mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest resolution found being 3840x2160 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 2240x1260. Pixel counts below 2880x1620 seem to be rare on PS4 Pro in the 4K mode. PS4 Pro in the 4K mode appears to be using a form of checkerboard rendering to reach the stated resolutions. The 4K mode supports downsampling when outputting at 1080p with forced supersampling disabled. PS4 Pro in performance mode renders at a resolution of 1920x1080. Lower resolution buffers are used for many effects on both consoles. Edit: No pixel counts below 1920x1080 were found on PS4 during cutscenes. The PS4 Pro in 4K mode does use a dynamic resolution during cutscenes.

Stats

docs.google.com

Marvel's Avengers PS4 Pro vs PS4 Frame Rate Comparison (Beta) Stats

Sheet1 Platforms,PS4 Pro 4K Mode,PS4 Pro Performance Mode,PS4 Frame Amounts Game Frames,10851,15759,10418 Video Frames,22113,22114,22115 Frame Tearing Statistics Total Torn Frames,0,0,0 Lowest Torn Line,-,-,- Frame Height,2160,2160,1080 Frame Time Statistics Mean Frame Time,33.96ms,23.39ms,35.38...

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the performance is rough right now when you get into the more open areas. Obviously we don't know how old the build is and the hope is that it's better by launch, but as much as I am enjoying the game itself this is definitely a PC title for me (unless that is also a mess). At least until next-gen.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah the performance is rough right now when you get into the more open areas. Obviously we don't know how old the build is and the hope is that it's better by launch, but as much as I am enjoying the game itself this is definitely a PC title for me (unless that is also a mess). At least until next-gen.
Definitely wanna see some locked 60fps footage next week when the pc version beta releases. I think the higher FPS really helps "clean" this game up.
There is so much going on sometimes and with 30fps alot of it gets lost.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely wanna see some locked 60fps footage next week when the pc version beta releases. I think the higher FPS really helps "clean" this game up.
There is so much going on sometimes and with 30fps alot of it gets lost.

The dynamic res doesn't help. Because then it's a crapshoot whether the game will chug, get blurry as hell, or both.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck spider-man, this is a pc game for me at launch after playing on my ps4 and getting in the teens regularly.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Pro Performance Mode drops as low as 4K mode during hectic combat, which is, half the game if you're here for the multiplayer.
Add the blur and the shacky cam than can't be disabled and it's one of the most nauseating games I've played in a long time.

I'm sure it goes lower than 20 in some 4-heroes MP combat scenarios.

uzipukki

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oof. 20fps in that Hulk fight scene. horrible.

oliverandm

Nov 13, 2017
Copenhagen, Denmark
Yeah I am definitely going to wait this one out.

The art direction was already a bummer to begin with (the Marvel movies don't look terribly interesting so it's a weird choice, and going for the movie-look without using the actual actors is baffling), and the gameplay seems bland too. But this performance is the nail in the coffin.

However, it will probably do great in sales anyway, and so a couple of updates, some tweaking and adjusting, and a PS5 to enhance performance, and there you go

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
The PS4 Pro on performance mode dipping to the 20s? God damn.

And even without of that it's only 10 frames difference.

Hopefully this will be ironed out.

Deleted member 76539

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 31, 2020
Congratulations Square and Crystal, you've managed to unsell me on the PC version by locking up Spider-Man and you've convinced me to not buy the PS4 version with this awful performance. Good shit.

KOfLegend

Jun 17, 2019
Yeah, I'm pretty much waiting for the next gen patches for all the games coming out between now and december, including this one.

KingdomKey

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah its pretty damn rough. I hope they manage to stabilize it a little bit before release.

In any case I'll still buy it for PS4 and stomach it. I could of course buy it on PC, but since the PS5 version comes with the purshase I might as well go for console. I suspect if any of my friend will buy the game it'll be on PS4.

Mandalorian

Alt account
Banned
Jun 18, 2020
From their latest interview published last Thursday:

Wccftech: Is the performance mode on PS4 Pro meant to target 60 frames per second?

Shaun Escayg:
That's the goal. Vince, if you can speak to that?

Vince Napoli: It's not going to be a consistent 60, it's as high and as optimal as possible. It varies, it's a variable frame rate and depends on the number of characters you might have and the stuff that's going on. We're working on optimizing for that mode in particular, we're actually working on optimizing how we handle the loading of like an effect or the loading of physics in order to maximize it, that sort of stuff is ongoing right now. It happens at the very end of a project, to pull out all the bells and whistles and all the stops. And with that mode in particular, obviously the goal is performance. As a combat guy, personally, I'd love to see 60 FPS all the time, so we're always pushing for that. That's always the goal. I don't know if we'll hit it in every possible scenario, the game is just too crazy in certain cases to guarantee that.

Shaun Escayg: We're still pursuing it, though, that's the key. We'll be pursuing and polishing and trying to get optimizations until the very end, until they rip the game from our hands.

Source: https://wccftech.com/the-big-marvel...al-dynamics-on-endgame-polish-and-spider-man/

Fiksi

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully launch has some improvements, but it looks from this like I might get a better experience waiting for next-gen consoles altogether, indeed.

Getting it now with the free upgrade later down the line will be a satisfying before and after experience I suppose :P

Kydd BlaZe

Apr 17, 2018
I wonder how it'll perform on the One X (where I was initially planning to play, before the Spider-Man announcement). Now I'm debating if I care THAT much about Spider-Man.

Kalasai

Jan 16, 2018
France
Hope the perf will be greatly boosted at the release.

Wccftech: In the beta, I've noticed some rather meaningful performance issues even when playing on PlayStation 4 Pro on performance mode. Is that something you're confident you'll fix by the time Marvel's Avengers is out in early September?

Shaun Escayg:
Yeah, absolutely. I mean, it's a beta. We wanted to get it in your hands to get that feedback, see how it performs. This is the first time we're actually widening the pool, everyone in the studio is pretty close to it. I know we've gotten tons of data and feedback from you guys playing it on the performance, bugs, crashes, etc.. It's something we're constantly developing, constantly trying to get better and absolutely, we hope to have everything fixed before lunch.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
The snow area you unlock after beating some/all missions.... it's constantly chugging even when there's nothing on screen..

Stall_19

Oct 27, 2017
I'm gonna need to see how PS5 performs before deciding to buy the game. Shame as I would have probably bought it on PC at launch were it not for the exclusivity bullshit.

Dizastah

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I am definitely going to wait this one out.

The art direction was already a bummer to begin with (the Marvel movies don't look terribly interesting so it's a weird choice, and going for the movie-look without using the actual actors is baffling), and the gameplay seems bland too. But this performance is the nail in the coffin.

However, it will probably do great in sales anyway, and so a couple of updates, some tweaking and adjusting, and a PS5 to enhance performance, and there you go
My feelings exactly.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Oh boy, those Hulk scenes

cdTipjh.png

cmdrshepard

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
So choose between Spider-Man/timed Exclusive Vanity bs or what is expected better performance on PC/X1X. Might wait to see what the PC beta looks like but I think this is still a wait and see for sale as the spiderman stuff left a bad taste in my mouth

FooF

One Winged Slayer
Mar 24, 2020
Sony might have got the spider-man deal but pc got the consistent frame rate deal

YOUarcade

Oct 27, 2017
California
As much as it needs improved performance, at this point I wish they would add blur and camera shake options. It's obviously more than a stylistic choice, because there seems to be some aggressive dynamic resolution going on. But of course it's still in beta..launching in less than a month.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
Games this gen have tipically been GPU limited. But this seems to be CPU limited, since the game drops to a similar frame rate at dynamic1080p/720p as it does in the higher resolution mode.

Deleted member 26746

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
PS4 Pro then PS5.

They should give the option for locked 30fps if the release version is too variable.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Damn this really has me perplexed on what to get it for. I want all the bonus crap on the ps4 but I want the fps of pc:( If there was cross save hands down I would do pc then ps5 but there has been no mention of that. I also want a large community and I know ps4 will have that and pc might not. This is actually a tough choice lol.

I need to probably try the pc beta now to know for sure.

TheRyzzl

Oct 5, 2018
Between the bad framerates and my ps4 pro sounding like it going to go nuclear I think I'm gonna take the hit on Spider-Man and go PC. Honestly I'm more hyped for Black Panther anyway whenever he comes out.

El_Chino

Oct 25, 2017
I weep for the Xbox One S.

Hoping the One X fairs better and next gen updates are *coughs* mighty.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Between the bad framerates and my ps4 pro sounding like it going to go nuclear I think I'm gonna take the hit on Spider-Man and go PC. Honestly I'm more hyped for Black Panther anyway whenever he comes out.

Yeah that's another thing these videos obviously don't cover.

We all know Pro's are loud as shit but holy hell, this game is the real deal with the Pro, it's not only noisier than any other game, it just won't stop.

JEH

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Performance modes are always garbage on these consoles. Can't think of one game where it isn't better to just take the locked 30.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
The shacky camera is probably even worse, between the 20 or sub 20 fps, the blur and the constant shake....

tenor.gif

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
I'm really noticing the problems on PS4 and I was fine in Bloodborne. It must be something else other than FPS, maybe frame pacing?

Anyways, I seriously hope PC version will be well optimized. It will be the only scenario in which I'll pick up the full game at all. I feel like combat could be a lot more enjoyable in 60 FPS...