• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
That Q&A bit wasn't exactly detailed if you ask me. Most of the answers are the basics I'd expect from any game of this style and most of the answers were still pretty unforthcoming with actual detailed descriptions of how this stuff actually works. Cool I can customize the looks and abilities of Captain America, so tell me about that, not just a vague description that sounds like every other game.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
A little cautious about how much of a good story experience this will really be with the GAAS model and multiplayer.

Oct 31, 2017
If the gameplay is still rough around the edges then delay it a few months and smooth it out. I actually think this releases on Scarlet and PS5, so a few months delay to smooth things out would be better than releasing a lower quality product to meet a deadline.

OP
OP
DrBo42

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That Q&A bit wasn't exactly detailed if you ask me. Most of the answers are the basics I'd expect from any game of this style and most of the answers were still pretty unforthcoming with actual detailed descriptions of how this stuff actually works. Cool I can customize the looks and abilities of Captain America, so tell me about that, not just a vague description that sounds like every other game.
The title is Q&A details, not detailed Q&A lol. Don't you pin this on me! They're not going to do a deep dive via a Twitter Q&A, but it does include info that was murky beforehand like levels, gear etc.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
The games trailer was absolutely awful. And the character designs are bad.
But I am cautiously optimistic that it was just a bad showing.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Can one play the game totally single player offline rather than online?

You can play just about everything by yourself if you want to. I encourage you to play with your buddies. It's so much more fun in multiplayer. But yeah, most of this stuff you can play by yourself.
Dodged the question. It's always-online, guys.

Stuggatz

Jun 6, 2018
I love the way that you will be forced to play individual heroes as the story requires it. Ever since FFVI I have loved it when your team fractures into smaller groups and has parallel adventures. It forces you to play characters you wouldn't normally play and you realize that Locke is actually really cool. This franchise is particularly suited to that mechanic because there's a lot of good characters that should play very differently.

Ryengeku

Oct 26, 2017
Georgia, US
I thought this was going to be a game that has a campaign sectioned off from multiplayer.

Meaning you'll have a menu option called "Campaign" and then another called "Online Multiplayer" but it seems like It'll just be like the rest of the GAAS nowadays.

OP
OP
DrBo42

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I thought this was going to be a game that has a campaign sectioned off from multiplayer.

Meaning you'll have a menu option called "Campaign" and then another called "Online Multiplayer" but it seems like It'll just be like the rest of the GAAS nowadays.
Your initial thought is right. Campaign and multiplayer missions are different things. At least at this point that's our understanding.

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA

You can play just about everything by yourself if you want to. I encourage you to play with your buddies. It's so much more fun in multiplayer. But yeah, most of this stuff you can play by yourself.

They ignore the part of the question asking if this game can be played offline, which leads me to believe it's an always on internet connection required regardless of how you choose to play

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Pretty sure they mentioned on stage you can play it offline.
In the quoted statement all she said is "you can play by yourself" but the question she was asked was specifically whether it could be played offline. She dodged the question so unless there's some source that definitively says "Yes, it's not always-online!" you can consider it always online for now.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
Everything to do with the game sounds great, the only thing I'm worried about is the Playstation exclusive content. I won't really care if it's just cosmetics but if they start making characters or missions exclusive then that's going to suck.

Stuggatz

Jun 6, 2018
My only concern is that since it's such an ambitious project (at least five distinct playstyles) and there's still a few rough spots (face models and apparently some clunky animations in the demo) it'll probably be delayed.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Transcript:

What is this game? People still want clarification on the structure of the game.

It is a single player narrative driven cinematic game. But it's a little different. It's a hybrid. You're introduced to this world on the events of A-Day. San Francisco's devastated. The Avengers are to blame. They disband and there's bickering amongst them.

You get that setep and you journey through the progression of particular characters that progress the story forward to see how the Avengers fare. As you go through the story, depending on where you are in the narrative, you unlock certain characters and you can then go off on a tangent with those characters, or with your own choice of characters, and play these missions that are all tied to pushing this story forward.

You can do so by yourself, or you can do so in groups of four. And then you can rejoin the narrative and push that story forward as well.

You can also choose to say, 'you know, I've got the setup, I really just want to play with my friends, and I can run off and play in that world with four friends as the Avengers of our choice'. Or I could say, 'you know what, I'm going to go straight down the story, not do any missions, just go through all the story in a linear fashion. I can play the entire thing, single player and co-op, by myself, and enjoy the experience of the Avengers'.

Why aren't these the MCU characters?

We set out to create an original Avengers story. We wanted our characters to feel like they belong in our world, that they're part of our story, that their choices, even their uniforms are all based on our story. They're at the peak, they make this awful mistake, and then they fall, and we get to build them up.

We cast them differently, we chose them differently, we drew from the Marvel comic books along with our friends at Marvel to get the best solution for this story.

How many superheroes will be added to the game post-launch?

Can't be specific, but we intend to at regular intervals release new superheroes and new regions for free. No additional cost. We're excited. Marvel's Avengers roster, the potential for it is crazy. We're such huge fans. We're combing through eighty years of history to find those characters.

And the multiplayer story in that world is so big, it's so vast. It's escalating threats. You get to team up with your friends and defend Earth from escalating disasters. It allows for many characters to be introduced.

Can you talk about the diversity of the regions that you'll be pulling from?

The Avengers is a global team. They investigate threats that are all over the world. We're about finding the areas we want to go to that are diverse, that are as different as possible, that provide us different gameplay elements, different ways to use the team's very unique traversals. Every character on the team moves in such a different way that we want to have enough variety in our environments to really make use of the character's abilities.

Can you control the characters freely or are you limited in movement? For example, seeing Iron Man fly at the Golden Gate Bridge.

In that Iron Man segment, it's part of the single-player campaign focus, which are more specifically linear sequences. We also have different areas which are much more open, which allow characters the full freedom of movement, the full freedom to use their unique traversal mechanics.

In the single player campaign, on these missions, you'll be able to fly around. In that Iron Man sequence, you can fly around. Of course, you're limited to the bridge at that point, but you're still flying around. You have a very specific objective at that point.

Does gear affect the stats of your character?

We have both cosmetic stuff for the characters like costumes, stuff that you can customize fully that does not affect the character's gameplay. And then we have a pretty robust gear and progression system that does affect the character's gameplay.

It was really important for us to separate those two because we wanted players to be able to look the way they wanted, but also to play the way they wanted.

Don't pay to win!

Can you play as any character at any time in single player, or will there be specific chapters tied to specific characters?

The character you're playing is based on the narrative. It's the best character to push that narrative forward. If you were to go through the story in a linear fashion, you will be playing as the story dictates.

However, you can still go off and do these tangents as your chosen character, whoever your favorite hero is, and level that hero up and do cool missions with that hero.

You can say, 'I don't want to play this mission, I don't want to play as Hulk, I want to play as Black Widow.' You can go off and play as Black Widow and learn and feel what it's like to be Widow in those missions. And then come back to the main narrative which dictates what you play as.

Will space be an explorable region or featured in the campaign?

Stay tuned.

Will there be free roaming?

You can roam freely in the larger based missions.

Will there be vehicles?

Our characters have built-in traversal mechanics that are so unique to them. They move the way you expect them to move, they move through the environment using whatever fits the character best. Let's leave it at that.

Last edited:

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I'll update as I go.

What is this game? People still want clarification on the structure of the game.

It is a single player narrative driven cinematic game. But it's a little different. It's a hybrid. You're introduced to this world on the events of A-Day. San Francisco's devastated. The Avengers are to blame. They disband and there's bickering amongst them.

You get that setep and you journey through the progression of particular characters that progress the story forward to see how the Avengers fare. As you go through the story, depending on where you are in the narrative, you unlock certain characters and you can then go off on a tangent with those characters, or with your own choice of characters, and play these missions that are all tied to pushing this story forward.

You can do so by yourself, or you can do so in groups of four. And then you can rejoin the narrative and push that story forward as well.

You can also choose to say, 'you know, I've got the setup, I really just want to play with my friends, and I can run off and play in that world with four friends as the Avengers of our choice. Or I could say, you know what, I'm going to go straight down the story, not do any missions, just go through all the story in a linear fashion. I can play the entire thing, single player and co-op, by myself, and enjoy the experience of the Avengers.

We set out to create an original Avengers story. We wanted our characters to feel like they belong in our world, that they're part of our story, that their choices, even their uniforms are all based on our story. They're at the peak, they make this awful mistake, and then they fall, and we get to build them up.

We cast them differently, we chose them differently, we drew from the Marvel comic books along with our friends at Marvel to get the best solution for this story.

How many superheroes will be added to the game post launch?

Can't be specific, but we intend to at regular intervals release new superheroes and new regions for free. No additioal cost. We're excited. Marvel's Avengers roster, the potential for it is crazy. We're such huge fans. Combing through eighty years of history to find those characters.

And the multiplayer story in that world is so big, it's so vast. It's escalating threats. You get to team up with your friends and defend Earth from escalating disasters. It allows for many characters to be introduced.

The Avengers is a global team. They investigate threats that are all over the world. We're about finding the areas we want to go to that are diverse, that are as different as possible, that provide us different gameplay elements, different ways to use the team's very unique traversals. Every character on the team moves in such a different way that we want to have enough variety in our environments to really make use of the character's abilities.

Can you control the characters freely or are you limited in movement? For example, seeing Iron Man fly on the Golden Gate Bridge.

In that Iron Man segment, it's part of the single player campaign focus, which are more specifically linear sequences. We also have different areas which are much more open, which allow characters the full freedom of movement, the full freedom to use their unique traversal mechanics.

In the single player campaign, on these missions you'll be able to fly around. In that Iron Man sequence, you can fly around. Of course you're limited to the bridge at that point, but you're still flying around. You have a very specific objective at that point.

Still kinda confused, but this makes it sound like there is a single player campaign (that you can maybe play alongside friends, but not really) and a separate multiplayer component called missions. These missions contribute to the greater story, but are mostly there as the multiplayer attraction.

I mean, I'm kinda into that tbh. Let me do a single player campaign and then shift gears into some multiplayer beat em up action.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Still kinda confused, but this makes it sound like there is a single player campaign (that you can maybe play alongside friends, but not really) and a separate multiplayer component called missions. These missions contribute to the greater story, but are mostly there as the multiplayer attraction.

I mean, I'm kinda into that tbh. Let me do a single player campaign and then shift gears into some multiplayer beat em up action.

What I'm gathering is that the campaign narrative is one thing

And then the open-world-ish multiplayer areas have their own narrative that will evolve over time as they add more heroes and locations to the game

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018

i swear that the devs of Anthem, Destiny, Division said the same thing about their respective games.

Also, it did not answer the question of whether is it playable offline.

VHS

Alt account
Banned
May 8, 2019
So yeah, basically confirms it is an always online game... big yikes. Marvel's Destiny basically.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia

from what I understand, there will be single player campaign that I imagine will be pretty linear and filled with set pieces like the gameplay demo in the trailer. you can't freely choose your hero in this campain, just enjoy the ride and play the story the developer designed for you. as you play the campaign, you'll unlock other heroes to play in separate "missions" that can be played solo or with co-op, these missions can be replayed with any hero you choose and will provide slightly different experience depending on the hero you choose.

looking at it that way, seems pretty straightforward

OP
OP
DrBo42

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
DrBo42 another Q&A was posted:

Thanks, will add to OP.

Transcript:

You can also choose to say, 'you know, I've got the setup, I really just want to play with my friends, and I can run off and play in that world with four friends as the Avengers of our choice'. Or I could say, 'you know what, I'm going to go straight down the story, not do any missions, just go through all the story in a linear fashion. I can play the entire thing, single player and co-op, by myself, and enjoy the experience of the Avengers'.

How many superheroes will be added to the game post-launch?

Can't be specific, but we intend to at regular intervals release new superheroes and new regions for free. No additional cost. We're excited. Marvel's Avengers roster, the potential for it is crazy. We're such huge fans. We're combing through eighty years of history to find those characters.

Can you control the characters freely or are you limited in movement? For example, seeing Iron Man fly at the Golden Gate Bridge.

In that Iron Man segment, it's part of the single-player campaign focus, which are more specifically linear sequences. We also have different areas which are much more open, which allow characters the full freedom of movement, the full freedom to use their unique traversal mechanics.

In the single player campaign, on these missions, you'll be able to fly around. In that Iron Man sequence, you can fly around. Of course, you're limited to the bridge at that point, but you're still flying around. You have a very specific objective at that point.

We have both cosmetic stuff for the characters like costumes, stuff that you can customize fully that does not affect the character's gameplay. And then we have a pretty robust gear and progression system that does affect the character's gameplay.

It was really important for us to separate those two because we wanted players to be able to look the way they wanted, but also to play the way they wanted.

Don't pay to win!

Can you play as any character at any time in single player, or will there be specific chapters tied to specific characters?

The character you're playing is based on the narrative. It's the best character to push that narrative forward. If you were to go through the story in a linear fashion, you will be playing as the story dictates.

However, you can still go off and do these tangents as your chosen character, whoever your favorite hero is, and level that hero up and do cool missions with that hero.

You can say, 'I don't want to play this mission, I don't want to play as Hulk, I want to play as Black Widow.' You can go off and play as Black Widow and learn and feel what it's like to be Widow in those missions. And then come back to the main narrative which dictates what you play as.

Will space be an explorable region or featured in the campaign?

Stay tuned.

Will there be free roaming?

You can roam freely in the larger based missions.

Will there be vehicles?

Our characters have built-in traversal mechanics that are so unique to them. They move the way you expect them to move, they move through the environment using whatever fits the character best. Let's leave it at that.
Adding to OP, thanks for doing this twice.

Last edited:

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
SO this is kind of like Marvel Heroes except in 3rd person rather than top down view
0e3.png

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Just imagine a mix of Division/Destiny style game progress, missions and non-connected world with some hubs and open areas, as well as team multiplayer and leveling, looting etc and general third person gameplay similar to idk pretty much all Marvel games and a hero/skin collection factor, similar to Ultimate Alliance. Then imagine a ton of content people expect from other Gaas games still missing.

All Q&As will just suddenly make sense :D

OléGunner

Oct 25, 2017
Airborne Aquarium
So I was watching Easy Allies talk about this yday and couldn't wrap my head round Single player vs Multiplayer.
Is it that the campaign is SP only, with AI controlled Avengers while Multiplayer is replaying missions and/or purpose built arena maps wth randoms or friends?

OP
OP
DrBo42

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So I was watching Easy Allies talk about this yday and couldn't wrap my head round Single player vs Multiplayer.
Is it that the campaign is SP only, with AI controlled Avengers while Multiplayer is replaying missions and/or purpose built arena maps wth randoms or friends?
Think of campaign as a guided linear experience where you're playing whatever hero the story is currently focusing on. Kind of like Mortal Kombat campaigns. Then based on where you are in the story, characters are unlocked to take into missions outside the campaign. Those missions are open to multiplayer. MP missions are explained as tangents in the Q&A so they're likely unlocked via campaign progression like side plots of the big narrative push.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
there will be 2 modes of campaign. 1 is the single player story campaign. can't play co-op, which heroes you play is determined by the story, just like the gameplay demo we see in the trailer, the level will be more linear and scripted. Iron-Man in the trailer level had to stay at the bridge.

the other is a more open ended like Destiny. you have multiple region of small open worlds. in this open area, you are free to choose your heroes and do missions either solo or co-op.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
there will be 2 modes of campaign. 1 is the single player story campaign. can't play co-op, which heroes you play is determined by the story, just like the gameplay demo we see in the trailer, the level will be more linear and scripted. Iron-Man in the trailer level had to stay at the bridge.
I'm not sure this is true, did they confirm single player only for the story campaign? To me it sounds a _lot_ more like Destiny/Anthem and its story missions.

OléGunner

Oct 25, 2017
Airborne Aquarium
Think of campaign as a guided linear experience where you're playing whatever hero the story is currently focusing on. Kind of like Mortal Kombat campaigns. Then based on where you are in the story, characters are unlocked to take into missions outside the campaign. Those missions are open to multiplayer. MP missions are explained as tangents in the Q&A so they're likely unlocked via campaign progression like side plots of the big narrative push.

the other is a more open ended like Destiny. you have multiple region of small open worlds. in this open area, you are free to choose your heroes and do missions either solo or co-op.

Thanks very much for the detailed explanation guys!
I'm glad they are at least separating SP campaign from MP.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I'm not sure this is true, did they confirm single player only for the story campaign? To me it sounds a _lot_ more like Destiny/Anthem and its story missions.
I think I read it somewhere. Anyway, the intro at the bridge is part of the story campaign and filled with linear scripted event that no way you could do that in co-op. So I imagine thats how the story campaign will go.

It's not like the co-op mission won't have some kind of story as well. I imagine both will have some sort of story in it, but the main story campaign will be filled with over the top set pieces that are more suitable as single player than co-op

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
The story is single player. Read the second Q&A transcript.
I mean I did. It said
"As you go through the story, depending on where you are in the narrative, you unlock certain characters and you can then go off on a tangent with those characters, or with your own choice of characters, and play these missions that are all tied to pushing this story forward.

You can do so by yourself, or you can do so in groups of four. And then you can rejoin the narrative and push that story forward as well. "

Obvously you can't play idk the first avengers mission as Rocket, but you can play it as a 4p team as, well, the original Avengers. Additionally, you can "mission" everything as whoever you want. As I said before, if you look at all of the answers from a Destiny/Anthem-ish perspective, it all makes perfect sense.

Callibretto
I think I read it somewhere. Anyway, the intro at the bridge is part of the story campaign and filled with linear scripted event that no way you could do that in co-op. So I imagine thats how the story campaign will go.
Maybe, but again, take the Destiny or Anthem story missions, take the Division, take Monster Hunter. All of these games have very specific story setups with cutscenes, bosses, etc, and you can do them solo or with a team.

Smoolio

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Man the campaign should have a mode where depending on which characters story is currently the focus, that person gets to play, the rest of your friends watch like a movie until its their characters turn.

Sounds like something only me and my friends would be into haha, its how we played Until Dawn, Heavy Rain and Detroit.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Man the campaign should have a mode where depending on which characters story is currently the focus, that person gets to play, the rest of your friends watch like a movie until its their characters turn.

Sounds like something only me and my friends would be into haha, its how we played Until Dawn, Heavy Rain and Detroit.
I mean, you can just pass the controller over to your friend...

OP
OP
DrBo42

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean I did. It said
"As you go through the story, depending on where you are in the narrative, you unlock certain characters and you can then go off on a tangent with those characters, or with your own choice of characters, and play these missions that are all tied to pushing this story forward.

You can do so by yourself, or you can do so in groups of four. And then you can rejoin the narrative and push that story forward as well. "

Obvously you can't play idk the first avengers mission as Rocket, but you can play it as a 4p team as, well, the original Avengers. Additionally, you can "mission" everything as whoever you want. As I said before, if you look at all of the answers from a Destiny/Anthem-ish perspective, it all makes perfect sense.
It seems like you're ignoring this first bit:

"What is this game? People still want clarification on the structure of the game.

It is a single player narrative driven cinematic game."

You can't play the story co-op, that's not what they're doing. Any co-op is done through the other mission structure which will be part of the main story's drive but is separate from campaign.

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
from what I understand, there will be single player campaign that I imagine will be pretty linear and filled with set pieces like the gameplay demo in the trailer. you can't freely choose your hero in this campain, just enjoy the ride and play the story the developer designed for you. as you play the campaign, you'll unlock other heroes to play in separate "missions" that can be played solo or with co-op, these missions can be replayed with any hero you choose and will provide slightly different experience depending on the hero you choose.

looking at it that way, seems pretty straightforward

I wish they just said this outright haha thanks

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I wish they just said this outright haha thanks

There were definitely times when it could have been clearer. I kinda got the feeling that they were trying hard to stay inside certain parameters and that there was a still a certain level of residual skittishness regarding the game's initial reaction.