• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dreamcast

Oct 27, 2017
Can't believe how different they look. Avengers is so well established, I can't understand why they would make that decision to change the likeness so much. I'll still play it though!

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
The problem is that the presentation was so devoid of content that the look of things is all they really gave the audience to react to. With Arkham and Spiderman, they showed enough of the game for people to have an understanding how it played. This was just a bunch of faces that looked like they came from NBA 2K 11's create-a-player with nothing else to put the game in any sort of context.
When Spider-Man was first showed they didn't have anything. No gameplay(from what we could tell). People had the same reactions. It's literally the exact same thing happening again.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Just entered, huh? Could have fooled me
Haha. It's weird though. You'd assume this was a PlayStation 4 exclusive going by that entire stage presentation with them only talking about all the unique benefits and surprises that PlayStation players get.

My guess is that they're going to incorporate Spider-Man PS4 into it somehow, maybe you can get the Insomniac suit as a skin? Idk.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
By the way, this got missed but Square-Enix have confirmed they've entered into a global partnership with Sony. No idea if it's for this game specifically

Hcbc2Wf.png

Seems like Sony influence runs DEEP, especially with what they said on stage about how PlayStation players specifically will receive unique benefits over other platforms.
As someone who owns a PS4 I don't feel any benefit from this stuff. It's just Sony paying to keep other platforms from having content/cosmetics.

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
Make SpiderMan exclusive to the PlayStation platforms. Do it Square. Haha the reactions would be great to see.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
As someone who owns a PS4 I don't feel any benefit from this stuff. It's just Sony paying to keep other platforms from having content/cosmetics.
Real tempted to make a thread on this but I'll wait for the E3 Coliseum Avengers interview in a few hours to clarify all the details. It's bullshit that people on certain platforms or whatever receive exclusive content and benefits over the rest, especially in a live service game. Will never understand that shit.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Man, memes are gonna kill this game like MVCI.
I am shocked people still showing games like this, memes being run into the ground can turn an average game into an offense against god(NMS and Anthem). Think folks would be more aware how to present stuff, cause you only get one shot

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Both this game and the movie are based off the same source material. How can the move further from they movies w/o moving away from the comics?

Marvel films took most of those designs and made them their own (though Black Widow is pretty much exactly how she looks in the comics). So, Square should have done the same thing (just like Insomiac did with Spider-Man). Take heavy inspiration from the comics, but put their own spin on it. For designs like Black Widow I think they should have chosen a different comic book iteration (as every characters has had many different designs).

As is, it feels like they started with the Marvel films version and iterated from there. That is a mistake. Ultimately, the more you signal that these are different interpretations of these characters, than the film's specifically, the better.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I am shocked people still showing games like this, memes being run into the ground can turn an average game into an offense against god(NMS and Anthem). Think folks would be more aware how to present stuff, cause you only get one shot
I think Andromeda would be a better comparison than Anthem. Anthem is actually trash, Andromeda's worst faults weren't even shown in the memes lol

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I think Andromeda would be a better comparison than Anthem. Anthem is actually trash, Andromeda's worst faults weren't even shown in the memes lol
There is a thousand examples sadly. I will be shocked if the models don't change by the next time we see the game, and I also expect a delay

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it would be fair to say that, but I do think his range exists at the Merasmus / Richtofen level of zany affectations. Anything subtle just sounds like him, be it Superman or Tony Stark.

Edit: He is versatile and very skilled nonetheless, and I'm sure having him recognizably playing Tony Stark was an intentional attempt at emulating the familiarity people have with the cast of the movies.

While it's obviously modified (and falls in line with his Merasmus-like roles) I do really like his role in GW2:

(Same character but without any voice modulation)

He actually also voices the Player character (if they're Human, Male), and while it's mostly his normal voice, the way he tends to say things makes him at least not feel like Nathan Drake.

Ultimately there is probably more range to be found but never asked for. At some point they're hired because the developers want a specific voice rather than seeing what other voice they could do to fit.

spartan112g

Banned
May 5, 2018
So is crossplay confirmed to not be in this game due to exclusive PS content or can the rest of us at least play with each other. I'll take crossplay over exclusive content any day.

VHS

Alt account
Banned
May 8, 2019
To anyone saying "you just hate it because it doesn't look like Mcu!"

No, they are clearly trying to ape the MCU style. We don't like it, because it's low quality. As a comic fan I don't care if the style changes, but usually you can tell who's who. These designs are just that low quality especially Thor.

Thewonandonly

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Utah
Character models aside, I need some game play. This game being a co-op GaaS is perfect, but I need more buy in.

This thread also reminded me to preorder MUA3
Ya for real this game is going to be huge. There is no doubt that there first add on character is going to be black panther. I mean they probably didn't think black panther would be as huge as he was. There for sure putting him in there first or at least I hope so cause I want to kick ass with T,challa

Thewonandonly

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Utah
When Spider-Man was first showed they didn't have anything. No gameplay(from what we could tell). People had the same reactions. It's literally the exact same thing happening again.
If I recall they had like a 10 second running clip that was hype as hell at the end of spider man. They should have had a 10 second clip of them all charging forward here...

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
  • Beta is exclusive to PS4

Beta is part of the development process.

NO BETA FOR A MULTIPLAT SHOULD BE EXCLUSIVE TO A SINGLE PLATFORM.
Yeah, OK...
How many multi plat art alpha / beta only on PC ? 90% more or less.
It is bing a long time beta aren't beta anymore. They are demo with network stress test. How many console game doing "beta" / "alpha" only if you preorder ?

Mr. Poolman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
There are thousands of alrealy great designs for these characters on comic books.

Instead, they tried to re-design the wheel and we got this.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Marvel films took most of those designs and made them their own (though Black Widow is pretty much exactly how she looks in the comics). So, Square should have done the same thing (just like Insomiac did with Spider-Man). Take heavy inspiration from the comics, but put their own spin on it. For designs like Black Widow I think they should have chosen a different comic book iteration (as every characters has had many different designs).

As is, it feels like they started with the Marvel films version and iterated from there. That is a mistake. Ultimately, the more you signal that these are different interpretations of these characters, than the film's specifically, the better.

I guess... From a casual perspective, i can't imagine id see it this way - with the exception being Captain America's suit.

Banner/Hulk , Black Window, and Iron man don't feel Like imitations of the movies anymore than they feel like imitations of various comic/cartoon models.

Thor's in particular looks cartoony to a fault - I felt the same way about Thor's 2012 Avenger suit, so I guess that similarity is there too.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
I'm still stunned at how astonishingly bad some of the character models looked in that trailer.
  • Cap looks like someone's character from Rainbow Six Vegas 2
  • Thor looks like he was a create-a-character from Soul Calibur
  • Banner/Hulk looks like Dollar General Mark Ruffalo
  • Iron Man looks disproportionate and that helmet is all sorts of ugly.
I sort of hope this doesn't take place in the same universe as Spidey PS4 because I worry they'd ruin Spidey's near perfect look

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
The problem isn't that it is trying to much to be MCU without the actors or that it's straying too far from the characters, the problem is it's splitting the difference, and they're screwed either way.

VHS

Alt account
Banned
May 8, 2019
I'm still stunned at how astonishingly bad some of the character models looked in that trailer.
I sort of hope this doesn't take place in the same universe as Spidey PS4 because I worry they'd ruin Spidey's near perfect look
Banner looks exactly like Todd Howard it can't be a coincidence

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
The problem is just that people are used to the MCU faces.

Yeah I think the only way to get around that would be to change the presentation a lot (ie a redesign in a different style/time period/whatever) or use different heroes but I guess they need to make it look as close to MCU as possible in order to sell it

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hyperbole: The thread. Cap is a just a more grounded kevlar take on the suit. It's not my favorite but these reactions are just extra. Thor actually looks pretty cool when he's channeling power.
0534fe137c.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
I knew it was gonna be MCU based but good jeez why limit yourselves to a roster like this. Bruce is even wearing the same purple shirt. Gameplay was short but if looks ok so far

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really think this is hyperbole. I think all of the characters they showed in that trailer looked shockingly unimpressive.

The game as a whole looks kind of bad too, honestly.
Your words were "astonishingly bad". It's like people applied the "below 7/10 = terrible" review scale to all their opinions. There's really bad character design out there in the world, this ain't it.

Kapten

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
You guys think Brian Bloom will reprise Taskmaster again? As in being the same Taskmaster from Spiderman PS4.

Because that is him they are fighting on the bridge right? Looks like Widow flying on him aswell.

Could be interesting with a Marvel Gaming Universe.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
Your words were "astonishingly bad". It's like people applied the "below 7/10 = terrible" review scale to all their opinions. There's really bad character design out there in the world, this ain't it.
I guess I should have clarified and said astonishingly bad from what I was expecting, so my apologies there. I was hoping it would be something closer to Spidey PS4 good and not closer to Marvel vs Capcom Infinite bad.